Blueberry Jam (organic)

Black Fruit Blend
Cornflower Petals, Dried Blueberries, Elderberry, Natural Flavours, Organic Black Tea, Organic Flavours, Stevia Leaf
Bitter, Blueberry, Berry, Earth, Fruity, Honey, Smooth, Sweet, Artificial, Candy, Burnt Sugar, Jam, Berries
Low
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by raindove89

• “ I brewed this up in my timolino for work today. It's definitely a very fresh and almost watery take on blueberry, although I think my steeping parameters allow for the juiciness of the blueberries...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “I think I might cry. I've been having a really, really bad month. Anyway, last night at around midnight my laptop sort of just froze while I was in the middle of browsing Steepster and doing a...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2431 tasting notes
  • “Nom nom nom. Finally a second cup of this one. It’s not quite as blueberry-y as I remember, but I think a) there was more black tea in this cup and b) I may have raised my expectations for...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2722 tasting notes
  • “Got this as an eggnog latte and yet again it did not disappoint. It was like a blueberry custard, both creamy and fruity and so tasty. I am starting to think I prefer the fruity flavored eggnog...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2176 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

We’re jammin’

Blueberries might just be the greatest fruit around – after all, they’re the star ingredient of North America’s favourite muffin. And hundreds of years before moms were making them into jams, jellies and cakes, blueberries were called “star berries” and revered for their healing powers. Another little known fact about blueberries is that they make for one great cup of tea – when you blend them with black tea, elderberries, cornflowers and stevia, it’s the perfect companion to your morning toast.

Ingredients: Organic: Fair Trade Certified black tea from Sri Lanka, blueberries, elderberries, pink cornflower petals, stevia. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So yesterday I tried DT’s Superberry and it was good (surprisingly actually since I was expecting a bit more artificialness to it) but I don’t want to have too many of the same “flavors” in my cupboard so today I’m going to try this tea. It’s actually been on my “to try” list for quite some time so I’m rather excited to see if it lives up to the hype.

Dry the tea smells exactly as advertised… packed with blueberries and sweetness. That said there are a few scents in there that I don’t typify as being part of “blueberry jam”, raspberry for one. I can also pick out a hint or two of the elderberries but that is much closer to the “proper” jam scent that it doesn’t stand out as much. I also get a few dark notes from the black tea but again not too many so I’ll have to see how the base complements the tea once it’s brewed.

The liquor comes out brown but with a certain distinctive bluish-purple tint which could only be from the blue and elderberries. There’s a definite loss of blueberry scent at this point (actually of berry sent in general) but what remains is warm, dark and a bit malty. Honestly it’s almost been transformed from blueberry jam to blueberry syrup to my nose. It’s certainly different.

Taste wise the blueberry is very subtle (especially compared to the dry aroma) and still sweet but not overly so with just a bit of tang from the raspberry flavoring. The maltiness from the black tea really makes me think more flavored maple syrup than jam and I don’t get much from the cornflowers.

In the end I think I prefer Superberry more… I find that if I’m in the mood for fruit I like to taste the fruit. (or maybe that’s just the mood I’m in today… I’ve got enough to try a few more cups to see if this holds true) but for the moment, while it’s a good tea, I can’t see myself stocking more of it.

keychange

you’d better stock up on superbarry then; they’re not going to stock it for much longer :(

Dexter3657 is nutso generous; she joked ages ago to me that she’d ordered this multiple times for herself only to then give it away in swaps, then in her “no real reason, just ‘a little something’ your way” package—the one loaded with wishlist goodies I never thought I’d actually get to try and currently-out-of-stock-or-unavailable-without-astronomical-French-shipping treasures, cough—she included some! And teased me appropriately. (:

And I regret nothing. This is in fact surprisingly good. I haven’t had anything from David’s in a year [EDIT: wait, that’s not true, duh! Lariel was my Secret Pumpkin and sent me the fall blends and I enjoyed them, whee pistachios! My bad!]—I’m glad it was there for me when I got reintroduced to tea last January and started there for loose leaf but I tend to feel like I’ve moved on (I likely wouldn’t feel this way if I had a walk-in one near me, but it’s online only and if I’m going to bother to mail order there’s just so many shops out there that, well, you know)—but this is a crowd favorite and until discovering Butiki’s Blueberry Purple Tea this winter (thanks to JustJames!) I hadn’t found a blueberry tea that was all that memorable (I like Della Terra’s Blueberry Crumble but more for the strudel/coffee cake quality of it than blueberry…it’s not what I ‘d think to dig out when I’m all “I want blueberries!”).

This is a nice easy-going treat, with a juicy lush jamminess in the berry flavor I appreciate (lots of berry teas have a harsh tart raw/fresh berry profile, which I love in a real berry because it’s countered by a watery clean bursting aspect, but in tea, not so much), almost evokes plump stickiness. The tea base is soft without contributing an irritatingly watered down feeling, you know, the one some David’s and Adagio teas possess. The biggest surprise was the resteep though—I must’ve resteeped this 4 times as we finished Slings and Arrows tonight (so bittersweet; I’m really going to miss that show) and every single steep was good! (I started with 5 minutes, then 7 ever after.)

I would drink this again for sure on a night I don’t want to get super wired (though it’s a black base it doesn’t seem to make me super jittery, and it doesn’t feel harshly bright on the stomach either) and just want something that’s easy and pleasurable, a sweet treat that delivers but doesn’t demand a lot of focus to enjoy (sometimes after dinner I feel like I can’t drink any super complex teas or I’ll feel guilty I’m “wasting” them as I’ll be distracted/preoccupied doing something else, but at the same time I still want a tasty tea!). And I know R would really enjoy this for afternoon tea sometime. Bet it’d be delicious with scones.

JustJames

this is one of two that i adore from david’s =0)…. and yes it’s good with scones…. and toast with jam, and crumpets…… =0D

Kat

I’m all over your tasting notes lately— sorry about that. But I keep thinking I may be interested in this tea. I just kind of discovered David’s Tea, which is late in the game. But whateverrrrr. I like that this tea is organic and kosher, which is useful if I need to make tea for other people. I feel like berries are hard to capture in tea without them being really fruity, though, but my boyfriend loves fruit teas, which is why I’ve even considered this tea. It sounds really good, and I did like the La La Lemon by David’s, which is also organic. So I keep thinking I may buy some. I’m glad to see you liked it! I’m also shocked you got a resteep. It never would occur to me to try to re-steep a flavored black tea. I’ve always thought they wouldn’t hold up.

I may investigate this tea further now. I think the La La Lemon for me makes me think the David’s tea organic black tea base suits me, but the lemon tea lacks any exceptional qualities. Which is why I’ve been considering this at all recently. Also, the image on the website makes it look delicious!

I also feel like I’m ‘wasting’ teas if I don’t have the time to enjoy them. I’ve been sitting on my tin of Tiger Assam for a full week now, because I just haven’t had time! I like to have a sort of generic flavored black tea I can brew and I can always enjoy without feeling like I’m wasting it, if that makes sense. My go-to was the La La Lemon, which is gone… So I get that.

And my final thing, I love afternoon tea with scones! I almost always have class in the afternoon, so I don’t always have time, but I’ve been baking a bunch of scones just to have a proper tea. I also love scones. I don’t know why my American self has such an infinity for them, but I adore them.

ifjuly

ooh, what’s the other one JustJames? i’m the same way—i’d still buy brazillionaire once in a while maybe, if they still carry it, i’m not sure. (and BTW, it’s nice to see you around…thought of you throughout this winter, i know it’s been a while since we talked…i hope you’re doing well!) i love how we always find ourselves talking about food! haha.

Kat, another bonus aspect of this one is that it contains elderberry i believe, which is good for your immune system (the last 5 or so years i get sick during cold season without fail, often multiple times, and this was the first winter i didn’t even once…i’m chalking it up to the tea, especially all the blends that had elderberry in them).

and yeah, i adore my “focused idyll” times with tea where i can drink it gongfu in a gaiwan and prepare to have my mind blown, or in a mini glass pot steeped over and over, typing notes about every flavor that emerges and transforms…but sometimes i just can’t, or i wanna plunk down with a book or a tv show, but i still want to enjoy my cuppa! good to know i’m not alone.

and dude. scones are delicious enough to transcend borders and oceans! i love how easy they are too—i can mess up a biscuit like nobody’s business with my overzealous nervous dough working, but scones are for some reason always foolproof and super tasty. ack, now i want some and it’s 2:30 in the morning. :b

JustJames

vanilla orchid is my second.

la la lemon i could never take seriously… it’s caffeinated neo citrin lol. nicer, but decidedly reminiscent!!!

i have an awfully evil recipe for scones with a whipped cream base….. awesome for this tea. =0D

keychange

oh oh oh james can I have that recipe? because I need me some evil scones in my life! ha

Sami Kelsh

Scones are brilliant! Had a hankering for scones something fierce this weekend, so for XS Malarkey (where I’m resident baker) I whipped up tiny baby buttermilk scones filled with a dollop of my own strawberry and rose jam!

This is decent, but I wish it didn’t already have stevia in it. I like to be able to sweeten or not depending on my preferences for the day. That said, it has a great blueberry flavor and is probably one of the best blueberry teas. Also loving that it is organic and inexpensive- if you are looking for something fresh and fruity, this is a great choice. Happy Saturday!

Flavors: Blueberry

Roswell Strange

This is great for so many prep methods too: Iced/Cold Brew, Latte, Tea Soda, infused into alcohol…

ashmanra

I tried to order Blueberry Green from Harney today and it wasn’t on the site! :(

Nightshifter

Infused into alcohol sounds lovely for this cold and rainy day. Going to try! Also, sucks about H&S. Sometimes you can e-mail them and they will locate it for you at a store that can ship.

Sipdown!

I had enough leaf of this left for a small pot. Actually, a little bit more than that, but I overleafed slightly to use it all up.

The tea is very blueberry-y, but I’m not a huge fan of the stevia, makes the whole thing taste kind of thin. I can understand why a lot of people like this tea, but it’s not for me. Ah well.

Sami Kelsh

Aww man. I don’t like when there’s stevia in teas at all. Otherwise, this sounds like it’d be super good. :(

Yummy yummy. Of course another plus on my list seeing as it’s blueberry. Wonderful.

This is the first blueberry tea I have tried that actually taste like real blueberries. I think is creamy and blueberr’y :) I tried with and without milk and I think I prefer it with milk actually.

I’ve been doing a lot of iced tea lately, and I had actually made a pot of this last night to be hot. Buuuuut then I realized how super tired I was and looked at the clock and thought “wow, I should really be getting to bed.” So I ended up just sticking my little ceramic pot in the fridge and had this tea today! While it was a good iced tea, I think I prefer this one hot actually. Still yummy though.

if i remember correctly this tea started a second swap between me and jump62359 almost right after the first one.
i think many of us get into the cycle of thinking we owe the other swapper because they were so generous and thoughtful. thing is, this will NEVER END! cuz apparently tea lovers tend to be a very thoughtful and sensitive group. and tea is patient and delicate and has many moods.
so no surprise there :)

this tea is definitely better than i even expected it to be. which is saying a lot cuz i like davidstea but i tend to have low expectations for them most of the time. so i would have been very happy with ‘nice’. but this tea is good good :)
i’ll probably throw a bag in with my next order.

i wanna get the new spring collection, all those teas sound good! but i’m secretly hoping they are gonna make the latte mug in other colors? (fingers crossed).
i have 2 of the latte mugs already, one for home one for work. it’s a great mug for me. and i never even drink lattes. haha

keychange

You are so so right about the cycle of swapping! I feel as though I owe so many of you kind people for all the tea I’ve gotten!

OMGsrsly

This is why I have a bunch of surprise!parcels slowly being built at home. :)

jump62359

Ahh I’m so happy you liked this tea! I was a bit hesitant myself, but then I tried it and LOVED it.
I want to get a pack of this when I visit DAVIDs in a couple weeks, but I want to try all their other teas! I’m so tempted, but luckily I’ll have my cousin there with me to hold me back :)

((This also means you might get a package sent to you within the next month or so))

Omg!!!! Love the smell of it an love the taste sooo yummy. :) sry can’t get the the steep timer to move rite was 7mins steep time an 205 temp

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp

I never found the idea of “blueberry jam” tea appealing, that is until I tried it. Blueberry Jam is a fine grain tea, and turns the water purple. There is a good balance between black tea/blueberries and overall its a lovely way to start a morning off. I enjoy my cup with milk, however only a small amount is necessary. Too much milk and you lose the delicate taste that the blueberries give.