Salted Caramel

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Caramel, Coconut, English Toffee, Natural Flavours, Sea Salt
Caramel, Coconut, Salt, Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by Starfevre

• “Saturday! I'm not working you for once! To celebrate I bought plane tickets to Hawaii. Those are expensive - but our vacation there is in September and I finally got a pretty good deal on...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Yummmmmmm. I still like this one, yes yes I do. Burnt caramel deliciousness. My stomach's grumping a bit right now about how all it's getting is flavoured water when it really wants something with...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “The scene- my kitchen. The players- Me, and DAVIDs Salted Caramel tea. (a kettle whistles, ROSEHIPS picks it off the burner, scalds a yellow tea pot, and then steeps a basket of Salted Caramel...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 830 tasting notes
  • “A pleasant dessert after having some wholesome homemade borscht. I made it with red lentils instead of broad beans, which is how my grandma makes it, and it's still fantastic. I usually drink...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Sweet indulgence

There’s no better treat than a salted caramel. You won’t find this in your history books, but we’ve heard that Romeo seduced Juliet with a salt-sprinkled toffee. Rich, buttery and sweet with a kiss of salt – who can resist? So it goes without saying that it makes for a seriously delicious tea. This is a rich black tea blend, strewn with pieces of English toffee, coconut, caramel and a touch of French sea salt. It’s guaranteed to seduce your taste buds.

Ingredients: Black tea, coconut, caramel bits, English toffee bits, sea salt, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: soy, coconut, dairy, nuts

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea is good. Nothing bad to say about it. Maybe that the flavour could be more memorable but it is just so right. Sweet to start; the salt at the end makes you think that the flavour of the sweet has ended, but it is that ending is what makes it so fulfilling to drink because you can pinpoint it.

one of my favourite teas hands down. reminds me of like a sea salted caramel toffee bite. so good

Flavors: Caramel, Coconut, Salt

The dry of this one is strangely perfume-y and faintly caramel. But mostly I get that weird perfume sort of smell.
This translates slightly into the brew, but not as strongly as it was dry. The brew itself is also kinda funny looking. Scummy/murky with little dots of what I’d normally say was grease but know that can’t be true with a tea. I’m pretty certain that this is from the squares of caramel/toffee that was mixed in with the brew since I’ve seen similar effects from teas with sprinkles/candies/etc mixed with the blend.
I definitely get a caramel sort of taste from the brew. It’s also nicely creamy, but at the same time it’s got that watery sort of taste that I associate with watery hot cocoa/watery desserts. I’m sure this could be fixed with just upping the amount of leaf used to maybe 1.5 or even 2 tsp instead of the recommended 1 1/4 tsp. There’s also that odd perfume-y scent/taste in with the rest of the tea. But I don’t really get the ‘salted’ part of this tea at all. I could see this going well with some milk/cream or even mixed up as a latte is someone is adept at making such things. Lol.
Adding some truvia brings the caramel out a bit more but the overall wateryness of this particular cup kinda undermines the rest of it.
Not bad, certainly not as something I was able to get as such a small sample from Davids. But I probly would have been disappointed it I’d had to buy a larger amount from the website since this tea doesn’t really live up to its name.

The aroma of this tea is light, not too strong. Even when I took the first sip the flavor didn’t really “pop” out at me. But a few sips in I could definitely taste the salted caramel. Which was spot on-just didn’t come on as strong as other flavors do.
But it was good. ^^ Actually I think that my mum, who doesn’t really like tea, would like it. She loves salted caramel. I’ll have to get her to try it! XD

Soap?! Why am I tasting soap?! It smells soapy too. I just have to face the fact that I’m not a David’s fan girl and need to give up the hope that my taste buds will one day join hands with David’s and live in peace and harmony. On the back of each sip and in the aftertaste I pick up the caramel part, but I’m getting just the tiniest hint of salt. It tastes a little better with sugar, like sweet soap. :(

TeaBrat

I’m not the biggest DT fan myself.

Dustin

I really want to taste the magic that everyone else is excited about, but it just isn’t going to happen.

whatshesaid

The DT magic has faded for me with every new tea company I try :/

CHAroma

Booo, I’m sorry it was soapy for you. I really like this one, but I’ve found that one of their other popular teas tastes like cardboard to me. DT seems to be very love it or hate it.

Dustin

That is how Teavana is for me! The more new companies I try, the less impressed I am with Teavana.
There have been a couple of DT blends that I like, but it really is the exception when I do.

So I cold-steeped this and I’m not going to lie, it probably isn’t the best tea to have cold, but that doesn’t tarnish my love for it. Dark toast, toffee and butter, what’s not to love! It is a bit watery though…

Backlog from yesterday:

A few days ago I bought a set of tea from Davids, but when I got home I realized that one of the teas was missing from the set. When I went back to the store yesterday to get an exchange, they let me have my to-go cup of this (which I was planning to pay for) for free!

Anyways, this smelled nice and caramelly when it brewed, but I have to say that I didn’t taste much caramel in the sip. The base seems like the black base they use for a lot of their teas – Read My Lips, Love Tea #7, etc – which I don’t mind, but I really wanted more caramel sweetness to show up. Ah well – free tea!

Indigobloom

Free tea wheeeeee! :P

I love salted caramel so a tea that (supposedly) tastes like it? Oh ya I’m all over that! So then the question became which caramel should I get, the black tea version or the rooibos? Well time to do a bit of a taste test and see. Now I’m not doing this side by side so I’ll eventually get to the rooibos blend but I had this one at work with me today so it’s first up.

I get a lot of caramel in the dry scent, mixed in with the slightly darker notes from the toffee which is great. The coconut confuses me a little and there’s some mild malty notes from the black tea. But more importantly there’s an odd tone in there that I can’t quite place, it’s really artificial and almost off putting. I’ve actually smelled it in other DT teas (usually ones that have coconut in them) so I’m wondering if it’s a particular additive that DT uses? Not sure but I’m a little hesitant about trying it now…

The murky brew is appropriately caramel colored and has a film on top from the various caramel/toffee additions so I’ll need to give my mug a good wash afterwards. The aroma is darker now, the malt notes are more in the forefront and it really starts to smell a bit more like toffee than caramel but I like both so I’m not complaining. I can’t find the coconut at the moment but that artificial scent is still there, though it is milder.

Taste wise it’s a bit of a disappointment; it’s salted caramel (sorta, really I get toffee more than caramel but that’s probably the influence of the malt from the black tea) but it doesn’t have any rich, creamy (or even buttery) notes to complement it which this tea really needs. And that odd scent is still sticking around and is now leaving an odd aftertaste in my mouth. It’s also not very sweet for a desert tea.

In the end I added 1.5 packets of sugar and 2 of creamer (for 10oz of tea) and that helped. It’s still got that odd artificial note that I don’t really like but then again the last caramel I had we made at home and homemade flavors are always better than the store bought stuff. As of this moment I can’t see stocking this in my cupboard but I’m willing to give it one more shot before the remaining 15g go in my “to swap” pile.

It does not really live up to its name but it’s a good effort. It tastes very much like plain black tea with a hint of something else a creamy element, but nothing like salted caramel.

It is also really astringent, which is sort of unpleasant. Sorry to disappoint you if you thought this would actually taste like salted caramel. Just a somewhat failed attempt

A big ol thank you to NayLynn for this tea, and a whole lot of other teas! Dang this package was definitely much larger than I thought.
Decided on this one for today. Mmm Salted Caramel. It sounds so freakin good okay, and now does the tea match the flavour in mind?
The dry leaves definitely smell promising. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS TEA.
Hmm… steeping and it smells like any regular black, unflavoured tea. Hoping that I can taste the caramel/salt when it’s done brewing!
It does have a nice amber colour to it though. DARN YOU BITTER TEA. I BELIEVE MY WATER WAS TOO HOT NO. OKay well, at least I have plenty of this tea so I can fix my mistakes.

See, the thing about tea swaps, you think you’re getting rid of a lot of teas and lessening your tea stash, BUT THEN YOU REMEMBER THAT YOU’RE GETTING PACKAGES FROM YOUR SWAP PARTNER AND YOUR TEA STASH DOESN’T CHANGE.

I’ve packed a whole lot of packages, and I’m getting packages back. Dude. Swaps. They’re great, but SO. MUCH. TEA.
I’m definitely done buying tea, now I’m just attempting to reduce my cupboard.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 g 5 OZ / 147 ML