Salted Caramel

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Caramel, Coconut, English Toffee, Natural Flavours, Sea Salt
Butter, Caramel, Coconut, Toast, Toffee, Salt
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Saturday! I'm not working you for once! To celebrate I bought plane tickets to Hawaii. Those are expensive - but our vacation there is in September and I finally got a pretty good deal on...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Yummmmmmm. I still like this one, yes yes I do. Burnt caramel deliciousness. My stomach's grumping a bit right now about how all it's getting is flavoured water when it really wants something with...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2246 tasting notes
  • “The scene- my kitchen. The players- Me, and DAVIDs Salted Caramel tea. (a kettle whistles, ROSEHIPS picks it off the burner, scalds a yellow tea pot, and then steeps a basket of Salted Caramel...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 903 tasting notes
  • “A pleasant dessert after having some wholesome homemade borscht. I made it with red lentils instead of broad beans, which is how my grandma makes it, and it's still fantastic. I usually drink...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 777 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Sweet indulgence

There’s no better treat than a salted caramel. You won’t find this in your history books, but we’ve heard that Romeo seduced Juliet with a salt-sprinkled toffee. Rich, buttery and sweet with a kiss of salt – who can resist? So it goes without saying that it makes for a seriously delicious tea. This is a rich black tea blend, strewn with pieces of English toffee, coconut, caramel and a touch of French sea salt. It’s guaranteed to seduce your taste buds.

Ingredients: Black tea, coconut, caramel bits, English toffee bits, sea salt, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: soy, coconut, dairy, nuts

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So I cold-steeped this and I’m not going to lie, it probably isn’t the best tea to have cold, but that doesn’t tarnish my love for it. Dark toast, toffee and butter, what’s not to love! It is a bit watery though…

Backlog from yesterday:

A few days ago I bought a set of tea from Davids, but when I got home I realized that one of the teas was missing from the set. When I went back to the store yesterday to get an exchange, they let me have my to-go cup of this (which I was planning to pay for) for free!

Anyways, this smelled nice and caramelly when it brewed, but I have to say that I didn’t taste much caramel in the sip. The base seems like the black base they use for a lot of their teas – Read My Lips, Love Tea #7, etc – which I don’t mind, but I really wanted more caramel sweetness to show up. Ah well – free tea!

Indigobloom

Free tea wheeeeee! :P

I love salted caramel so a tea that (supposedly) tastes like it? Oh ya I’m all over that! So then the question became which caramel should I get, the black tea version or the rooibos? Well time to do a bit of a taste test and see. Now I’m not doing this side by side so I’ll eventually get to the rooibos blend but I had this one at work with me today so it’s first up.

I get a lot of caramel in the dry scent, mixed in with the slightly darker notes from the toffee which is great. The coconut confuses me a little and there’s some mild malty notes from the black tea. But more importantly there’s an odd tone in there that I can’t quite place, it’s really artificial and almost off putting. I’ve actually smelled it in other DT teas (usually ones that have coconut in them) so I’m wondering if it’s a particular additive that DT uses? Not sure but I’m a little hesitant about trying it now…

The murky brew is appropriately caramel colored and has a film on top from the various caramel/toffee additions so I’ll need to give my mug a good wash afterwards. The aroma is darker now, the malt notes are more in the forefront and it really starts to smell a bit more like toffee than caramel but I like both so I’m not complaining. I can’t find the coconut at the moment but that artificial scent is still there, though it is milder.

Taste wise it’s a bit of a disappointment; it’s salted caramel (sorta, really I get toffee more than caramel but that’s probably the influence of the malt from the black tea) but it doesn’t have any rich, creamy (or even buttery) notes to complement it which this tea really needs. And that odd scent is still sticking around and is now leaving an odd aftertaste in my mouth. It’s also not very sweet for a desert tea.

In the end I added 1.5 packets of sugar and 2 of creamer (for 10oz of tea) and that helped. It’s still got that odd artificial note that I don’t really like but then again the last caramel I had we made at home and homemade flavors are always better than the store bought stuff. As of this moment I can’t see stocking this in my cupboard but I’m willing to give it one more shot before the remaining 15g go in my “to swap” pile.

It does not really live up to its name but it’s a good effort. It tastes very much like plain black tea with a hint of something else a creamy element, but nothing like salted caramel.

It is also really astringent, which is sort of unpleasant. Sorry to disappoint you if you thought this would actually taste like salted caramel. Just a somewhat failed attempt

A big ol thank you to NayLynn for this tea, and a whole lot of other teas! Dang this package was definitely much larger than I thought.
Decided on this one for today. Mmm Salted Caramel. It sounds so freakin good okay, and now does the tea match the flavour in mind?
The dry leaves definitely smell promising. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS TEA.
Hmm… steeping and it smells like any regular black, unflavoured tea. Hoping that I can taste the caramel/salt when it’s done brewing!
It does have a nice amber colour to it though. DARN YOU BITTER TEA. I BELIEVE MY WATER WAS TOO HOT NO. OKay well, at least I have plenty of this tea so I can fix my mistakes.

See, the thing about tea swaps, you think you’re getting rid of a lot of teas and lessening your tea stash, BUT THEN YOU REMEMBER THAT YOU’RE GETTING PACKAGES FROM YOUR SWAP PARTNER AND YOUR TEA STASH DOESN’T CHANGE.

I’ve packed a whole lot of packages, and I’m getting packages back. Dude. Swaps. They’re great, but SO. MUCH. TEA.
I’m definitely done buying tea, now I’m just attempting to reduce my cupboard.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

I bought some of this for a friend of mine that is obsessed with all things caramel. The name and reviews, however, sounded so good that I also picked up a sampler pouch of this the last time I was at a DAVIDsTEA. Steeped, this tea smells like rich chocolate. The taste, however, is simply astringent with an edge of bitterness, maybe there’s some floral tones mixed in. Hoping to salvage my cup, I added flavored creamer that did exactly nothing to make this tea more palatable. >.<

I have just over a cup’s worth left and I think I’m going to try making it as a latte with lots of agave. Maybe that will help …

Oh my gosh, my swap from ashleyelizabeth arrived! Just in time for the weekend. Customs didn’t even blink at this one, hooray!

HUFFING ALL THE TEAS!!!!!

Well at first nothing. I probably under-leafed a bit. This was all I had from the sample and I did it in the Breville so there were 2 cups of water. The directions said 1.5 tsp/8 oz. I had maybe 2.5. For 4 min. Not much aroma or taste to me. (I think my taste buds and nose must be out of whack) I added a little monk’s fruit (liquid). Nothing. Okay, here comes the really weird part… I added a little salt. Oh my gosh! I love it. It brought the caramel right up. The salt did not taste salty but I know its there. MUCH better. Salt? Who would ever think of it… well, obviously me. :-D

Flavors: Caramel

keychange

How neat. And hey, it worked!

I don’t even remember receiving this sample, but I found it last night while digging through my stash. WHAT AN EXCITING FIND! The caramel flavor is great in this, with a very nice touch of the salty.

Taking this tea with milk this morning and wow does it ever make the caramel flavours pop. I’m still not getting the ‘salted’ part of the tea but honestly, right now it tastes so good that I really don’t mind. I’m upping the score I gave this blend.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML