Salted Caramel

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Caramel, Coconut, English Toffee, Natural Flavours, Sea Salt
Caramel, Salt, Toffee, Wood, Sweet, Coconut, Butter, Bitter, Sugar, Vanilla, Drying, Toast
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

Sweet indulgence

There’s no better treat than a salted caramel. You won’t find this in your history books, but we’ve heard that Romeo seduced Juliet with a salt-sprinkled toffee. Rich, buttery and sweet with a kiss of salt – who can resist? So it goes without saying that it makes for a seriously delicious tea. This is a rich black tea blend, strewn with pieces of English toffee, coconut, caramel and a touch of French sea salt. It’s guaranteed to seduce your taste buds.

Ingredients: Black tea, coconut, caramel bits, English toffee bits, sea salt, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: soy, coconut, dairy, nuts

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Eh. It’s almost a strange relief to find a tea I’m really not thrilled about because it means that’s one less to get a larger bag or tin of. Means I can put my student budget back towards food! Huzzah!

Anyway, this just really didn’t leave much of an impression on me. I had it a week ago, wasn’t particularly anything about it, then today kind of forced myself to give it another shot. And I’m still not particularly anything about it. It’s not especially caramel-y as I’d hoped, I do get the salt, but in absence of the caramel it’s a bit lonely. It tastes fine and all, just indistinct to me.

Initially I thought this was a really good tea. As I got to drink it more and more, I realized how much I started to dislike it. After a few brews, the loose leaf started smelling like sweat (ew) to me, and it was just unbearable to drink. I don’t have much to say about this tea but other than the fact that drinking it as a tea latte is the only way to go really.

Sipdown? (I’m new to this, sorry guys. But I did finish the last of this one that’s been in my cupboard for some time now..)

The last spoonful of leaves at the bottom of the bag always tend to make an interesting cup of tea. In this particular mix, I’m going to guess that the caramel pieces and salt are heavier than the tea leaves themselves, because they taste particularly strong today. That being said, I really liked this one. The black tea base is strong enough that it comes through, and the caramel isn’t so sickly sweet as to overpower the whole flavour. It’s a nice balance that gives me something sweet to enjoy without having to indulge my chocolate cravings. I bet it would work really well with milk, for those of you who enjoy milk in tea (I certainly do not).

This one was great to have around, but I’m not sure if I’ll buy more. I like it, but I don’t love it as much as other teas I’ve tasted that kind of fall under the same taste category. In recent weeks I’ve discovered Cream of Earl Grey by David’s Tea, which I’m pretty sure will fill my “sweet, soothing black tea” niche from now on. Still, it’s been nice. If you’re a fan of salted caramel but not super sweet teas, give this one a try.

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Salt, Sugar, Sweet

3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Yep, a sipdown is when you finish something, like a pouch or tin or whatever!

This tea tastes strongly of caramel, unfortunately it tastes of burnt caramel. Once you get past the taste of burnt caramel there is a nice sweet aftertaste. All in all this tea isn’t bad. It would be great if the caramel flavor wasn’t burnt. Did I say the caramel was burnt? I am glad I only bought a two once sample of this tea.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 4 min. My usual black tea steep is three minutes but the directions call for 4 to 7 minutes. Next time I will steep this at 190 degrees and see if the burnt flavor dissipates.

Flavors: Caramel

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

The burnt flavor began to dissipate a little after the tea began to cool.

So I’m working my first night shift all alone in my new work position, so I figured ‘hey new work experience, lets have a new tea to go with it!’

I bought 50g of this tea awhile back for myself and a swap… however I haven’t gotten around to trying it until now. I’m sad to say I’m quite disappointed. In general, salted caramel is delicious , however this tea turned out quite bitter. The only notes I can get are a little salt (which float to the top) and some coconut. No caramel at all :( I normally enjoy black tea, but I’m not fond of this one.

I tried the first few sips just straight, however I couldn’t get past the bitterness so I added a caramel honey stick. I mean the honey stick is great and I believe it made the tea taste a bit better. But it still has a bitter after taste.

Verdict: I wouldn’t buy this again, and it looks like I’ll have to try and struggle through what’s left of the 50g . Maybe a latte will be better? Hmm.

Flavors: Bitter, Coconut, Salt

Very much enjoyed this tea. The caramel and vanilla flavors are nicely balanced, although I didn’t actually taste any salt, that was OK with me, I get the general idea. Would’ve been interesting if they did include a tiny bite of salt in it, but I think David’s is too mainstream to try something like that. Still, I don’t love it any less! I needed to add more tea than the recommended amount because I found the flavor to be a bit weak and didn’t want to oversteep it. I drink this always with milk and unsweetened, my preferred way to drink dessert type teas.

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

Boiling 7 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The tea does actually contain salt :)

Sakura Sushi

Be that as it may, it’s undetectable to my taste buds, anyway. Maybe they need to rejigger the recipe – I was hoping for a slight brightness or bite to justify the name “salted caramel.”

I’ve honestly never tasted the salt either. But the smell of the tea is heavenly to me, for whatever reason.

I love a good salted caramel mocha, but I wasn’t sure how well the flavor would translate to tea. This was a pleasant surprise! It smells like rich, buttery toffee and you can see bits of toffee and big grains of sea salt mixed in with the tea leaves. It brews up to a warm golden brown color with lots of big, bold flavor. I was worried it would be too salty, but the salt actually just makes that gooey caramel flavor pop. Drinking it straight today and enjoying it that way, but I bet this would be even better as a tea latte. Here’s hoping David’s does a good Boxing Day sale this year, because my 1oz sample is going to be long gone by Christmas!

Flavors: Caramel

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Picked up an oz of this while at the store today. I had to sugar it up a bit because it wasn’t sweet enough on its own so i put in a few pieces of rock sugar and a little caramel honey stick. Yummy :) I made it as a latte but it didn’t stay frothed like I wanted, oh well, next time.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Hmm, I don’t believe I have ever had this one before and I am really liking the salted caramel. It tastes like toffee, especially when sugar is added. It seems very rich and delicious! Sorry for the short note but I have a lot of stuff going on today… hopefully I will write a better one later.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

No salt, other than maybe in the form of dryness. A bit of caramel, which is reminiscent of something ooey gooey, but just not enough – for me, anyway. It’s not a bad tea, but it’s just not the one for me today.

Flavors: Caramel, Drying

This was one of the first teas I ever bought from DAVIDs. I had such high hopes for it, because SALT! and CARAMEL! but I was pretty unimpressed. I wonder if anyone makes a good salted caramel tea, cause I’ve yet to try one.

I think the salt would just get enveloped into the drink itself – like any other salted caramel drink. Instead, do it up like Starbucks? Make the tea, then add a dollop of cream and salt on top.