Salted Caramel

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Caramel, Coconut, English Toffee, Natural Flavours, Sea Salt
Caramel, Coconut, Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by Starfevre

• “Saturday! I'm not working you for once! To celebrate I bought plane tickets to Hawaii. Those are expensive - but our vacation there is in September and I finally got a pretty good deal on...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Yummmmmmm. I still like this one, yes yes I do. Burnt caramel deliciousness. My stomach's grumping a bit right now about how all it's getting is flavoured water when it really wants something with...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2225 tasting notes
  • “The scene- my kitchen. The players- Me, and DAVIDs Salted Caramel tea. (a kettle whistles, ROSEHIPS picks it off the burner, scalds a yellow tea pot, and then steeps a basket of Salted Caramel...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 826 tasting notes
  • “A pleasant dessert after having some wholesome homemade borscht. I made it with red lentils instead of broad beans, which is how my grandma makes it, and it's still fantastic. I usually drink...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Sweet indulgence

There’s no better treat than a salted caramel. You won’t find this in your history books, but we’ve heard that Romeo seduced Juliet with a salt-sprinkled toffee. Rich, buttery and sweet with a kiss of salt – who can resist? So it goes without saying that it makes for a seriously delicious tea. This is a rich black tea blend, strewn with pieces of English toffee, coconut, caramel and a touch of French sea salt. It’s guaranteed to seduce your taste buds.

Ingredients: Black tea, coconut, caramel bits, English toffee bits, sea salt, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: soy, coconut, dairy, nuts

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I liked this, quite a lot even, but I don’t think I’m really getting salted caramel or salt-sprinkled toffee from it. I do get burnt sugar from time to time, so that’s pretty close and quite welcome.

It’s definitely a sweet and creamy cup. Then there’s a slight coconut note winding through the whole thing.

At least this isn’t the horrible spiced abomination that Teavana made. I would absolutely drink this again, but it’s not quite what I’m looking for in a caramel or a toffee tea.

Thanks NayLynn!

So I have a love affair with salt. I always have. I put it on everything. This year my Easter basket from my Mom had all kinds of gourmet salts in it, yum! Even black lava salt from Hawaii, I was so excited! I love chocolate with sea salt, and also caramel with sea salt. This tea was recommended after my not-so-great experience with Cococaramel Sea Salt from Teavana, so I am excited to try it.

The dry leaves smell like sweet caramel with an odd hint of vinegar, and the tea liquor is the same. It’s not terrible, like the vinegary smell in Butterscotch from Angelina’s Teas, but I definitely noticed it. Thankfully there is none of that sour taste in the tea. There is a malty and buttery flavor with a light, rich caramel aftertaste. I’m definitely tasting the caramel, but not so much the salt. Maybe a little bit in the aftertaste, or that may be because I want to be able to taste the salt so bad! Overall, this is a nice tea, even without the salt. I will just have to keep looking for my perfect sweet/salty tea. Thank you, akgrowngirl for this tea! :)

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves and twigs with small pieces of candy and coconut.
-Dry leaves smell like sweet caramel with a little hint of vinegar. Tea liquor aroma is of sweet caramel and vinegar.
-Tea liquor is a clear dark brown color.
-Malty and buttery flavor and finish. Light rich caramel aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Good tea. A sweet caramel cup. Little salt noticeable.

Marcel Duchamp

I just made a cup of this and I’m getting ready to take my first sip.

Josie Jade

:) It’s a good cup to start the day with!

Anyanka

As someone with 9 (9!!) different kinds of salt on her kitchen counter, I understand.

Josie Jade

Haha, glad I’m not the only salt lover, Anyanka. My mom got the salts for me from San Francisco Salt Company, I’m pretty impressed so far!

Sipdown!

I had this with milk tonight and it was delicious. Milky goodness with caramel and coconut notes. Will have to restock this sometime.

Flavors: Caramel, Coconut

Have I had this before? It already has a rating so I must have. Which is good because I can’t tell how accurate this tasting note is going to be.

Let me preface this whole thing that my Breville desperately needs to be cleaned, as I just learned by making this tea, and I just bought some of those organic cleaning tablets on Amazon that should arrive in a couple of days (yay free two-day shipping!). Because…I had a bit of the unsweetened tea and it tasted vaguely of mold. So there’s that.

If I ignore that, it’s a very tasty tea. But yeah. Mold. I’m dumping the rest now that I’ve had a taste.

Flavors: Caramel

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

1911 tasting notes

Thanks to Faith for including this one in a recent swap. I don’t drink a ton of DavidsTeas, but occasionally there is a flavor I get curious about. I love salted caramels, so this was definitely one of them, though I don’t know what coconut is doing in there. Salted Coconut Caramel?

I smell the coconut in the steeped tea, and it smells a bit like some of the chocolate-coconut blends I’ve had, though only with a faint chocolate and with more of a caramelly background, which makes sense.

Well this is pretty tasty overall. Caramelly, coconutty, with a hint of savory to it, which must be due to the salt. Ooh I just got a sip with a lot of burnt-sugar caramel to it, which was delightful. I have also come to realize that although I love coconut in general, I often am not the biggest fan of it in black tea blends (though I often love it in whites or greens). Dunno why. This does have a bit more coconut in it than I would prefer. Why is coconut necessary in a caramel tea? It’s just weird to me. Still, this is pretty tasty despite it, and I am glad I got a chance to try it.

CHAroma

I didn’t even realize this had coconut in it till I read your review. LOL! Now I wonder how I missed it! :P

Well, how to say that…it is a nice hot flavoured cup of water ?
It’s caramelly, not salty and I get coconut (which is nice as it is in the ingredient’s list !)
I am just wondering why DT added coconut or why did they not call the tea coconut salted caramel? When a brand decides to go for a descriptive name, why not telling exactly what it is ? In this case something like coconut salted caramel Tea-free !
It is very round and mellow – my daughter adores it- and I think I will leave the rest of the cup to her.
She asks me : why don’t you like it ?
My aswer is : because it’s not tea…sorry I cannot taste the TEA once and again with this brand.
Thank you TheTeaFairy for sharing even if I’m so sorry for not being able to appreciate the famous Canadian brand.
I’m sure I’ll find one I really like in the big swap you sent me.

Devilish

I think I have a sample of this in my cupboard too! But don’t think I am eager to try this… agree with you that DAVIDsTEAs generally do not taste like tea… and in my opinion adding coconut to a caramel tea just ruins it! :(

Fjellrev

Aww, DT isn’t for everything. Even I find they’re very hit or miss.

Ysaurella

I’ll continue exploring, as TheTeaFairy sent me many samples of DT but I am pretty sure I can find one I like

TheTeaFairy

Don’t feel bad Ysaurella, you have much better chances of finding something you like in the other brands I’ve sent! What you are describing is exactly the reason why I fell «out of love» from Davidstea. I hardly ever have their teas anymore, but I thought I’d give you a chance to try them and help you stop wondering what the fuss is all about since you are so far away from them! On the other hand, I’m glad your daughter likes them :-) I should be the one feeling bad for enjoying the French teas you have sent me while you are still trying to find one you like from mine :-(

How did I forget to review this? I did a sipdown of it last week just to say I did, get rid of it and log it. Forgot.

So when I smell the dry leaves I’m all like “blech.” I only brewed it because there was barely enough left for one cup, not worth swapping, and I didn’t want to chuck it out. So I figured what the hey.

I was actually surprised it tasted better than it smelled, to me.

I have to give you a weird comparison here, though I’m not sure if you’re going to get it or not. It makes perfect sense to me though.

You know how there are basically two obviously different types of BBQ flavored chips? I mean the flavoring, not the brand. There’s the “mesquite” type, like the (Lays black bag) and the less spicy ones, my fave, like the Humpty Dumpty brand or the Lays (orange bag I think). I don’t like the mesquite ones. I like the orangey ones.

Likewise for caramel, there’s the creamy, buttery kind, and the burnt toffee sort. I like the creamy ones.

I find this tea is more the burnt toffee sort of caramel. If it were potato chips it would be Mesquite BBQ.

The smell is worse than the taste though. And it’s definitely not overly salty, but I’m cool with that because I just want a good black caramel tea! Kusmi isn’t quite flavorful enough for what I’m searching for, and it’s not creamy enough (though definitely good!) I’m still searching.

I am hoping to find a creamy NON rooibos caramel tea. Della Terra has one but it was out of stock when I placed my last order.

Anyway, this wasn’t as off putting as I remember but it’s not like those little Kraft caramel candy squares, and that’s what I’m searching for.

yeah…this is not my favourite either though i’ve had a couple of decent caramel teas

Alysha

I’m on the same hunt. I’m hoping Butiki’s upcoming Caramel Vanilla will be the one!

Josie Jade

I thought this one had a more burnt caramel taste, too!

Josie Jade

And I got a little vinegar from both the dry leaf and a little in the taste. Did anyone else or am I just crazy?!

hmmm i can’t recall off the top of my head heh

Kittenna

I like the burnt toffee/caramel flavour :) And yeah, that’s definitely what’s in here. I didn’t get any vinegar from the leaf or taste, but I have another bit to try again sometime soon.

whatshesaid

I didn’t get any vinegar but while I don’t hate this it’s not quite what I was hoping it would be!

This was really yummy.
First, you get a yummy sweet note and then at the end of the sip, you get a little bit of the salty to balance it out. I am not a fan of salty things but this is actually really well balanced. I only got 20grams in case I didn’t like this, but 20grams certainly won’t last too long.
This will be a welcome addition to my collection filled with sweet teas!

teawade

I love salty and sweet together. At first, it seemed like a strange combination but what got me hooked were the pretzel m&m’s haha

tigress_al

yep, it curbs both cravings!

Lynne-tea

I want this so bad. SOOO bad. And your review just made it worse! =) Caramel salty goodness.

Hello my fellow lovely Steepsterites! I have missed you (and tea) to be honest. It’s just been a crazy few weeks with extremely lastminute wonderful adventures all around this lovely Vancouver Island. For that reason, I am not so bummed about not being able to drink as much tea as I normally do.
On one of the adventures, I managed to pick up this tea as I am an absolute sucker for salted caramels. Therefore, this tea was on my list from it’s initial release (it wouldn’t have mattered if it got the worst reviews.. I would have still tried it).
This is my second round of this tea.. my first was lastnight as I was researching phage therapy for an undergraduate independent research project I’m doing this summer. It was rather mild as I kept the steeping times around 3.5 minutes. This morning.. after checking the recommended parameters, I bumped up the steeping time to 5.5 minutes. The result? Lovely. Still not as salty as I would like, and the caramel is a little muted, but overall it is a really really smooth tea. Wonderful black base (that obviously can take a longer steep time without turning bitter).
Notes of caramel, possible hint of salt… with a wonderful, full black tea base. I think I’ll be keeping a bit of this around. It’s not knock my socks off, but it’s darn good!
I hope you are all having a lovely summer thus far =)

EDIT:… one thing I forgot to mention as a down side is the scum that is in my cup from one steep of this tea. I’ve never really experienced it being that bad or unappealing as this tea.. hmm.. Still very drinkable though.

Moderately strong on the caramel, very on the light side with the salt but its there. Idk. I guess its there on the end which is where its supposed to be and I just am not caring for it. I think I’d like it more if the caramel was stronger. I was hoping for more but its just not there for me. Sample was frommmm.. i can’t remember? Someone awesome!