Salted Caramel

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Caramel, Coconut, English Toffee, Natural Flavours, Sea Salt
Butter, Caramel, Coconut, Toast, Toffee, Salt
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Saturday! I'm not working you for once! To celebrate I bought plane tickets to Hawaii. Those are expensive - but our vacation there is in September and I finally got a pretty good deal on...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Yummmmmmm. I still like this one, yes yes I do. Burnt caramel deliciousness. My stomach's grumping a bit right now about how all it's getting is flavoured water when it really wants something with...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2246 tasting notes
  • “The scene- my kitchen. The players- Me, and DAVIDs Salted Caramel tea. (a kettle whistles, ROSEHIPS picks it off the burner, scalds a yellow tea pot, and then steeps a basket of Salted Caramel...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 903 tasting notes
  • “A pleasant dessert after having some wholesome homemade borscht. I made it with red lentils instead of broad beans, which is how my grandma makes it, and it's still fantastic. I usually drink...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 773 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Sweet indulgence

There’s no better treat than a salted caramel. You won’t find this in your history books, but we’ve heard that Romeo seduced Juliet with a salt-sprinkled toffee. Rich, buttery and sweet with a kiss of salt – who can resist? So it goes without saying that it makes for a seriously delicious tea. This is a rich black tea blend, strewn with pieces of English toffee, coconut, caramel and a touch of French sea salt. It’s guaranteed to seduce your taste buds.

Ingredients: Black tea, coconut, caramel bits, English toffee bits, sea salt, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: soy, coconut, dairy, nuts

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sip down day #2/tea #2

This is my second attempt with salted caramel. The first time was a failure.
The dry notes and steeped ones still smell of stinky, gross artificial honey.
I think I may be the only one who doesnt like this tea.

Second go around seems like a bust as well. First time too salty from my added salt… this time no salt. I al getting the slightest hint of caramel. However for the most part it tastes like hot water.
So far sip down is working and I have eliminated a few teas.

Finishing this one up – I have enough leaf left for one more cup. I think I can finish this one and maybe one or two more before Thursday, which excites me. The more teas I finish, after all, the more room I have for new ones! I have been good after all, and not bought any new teas in a few weeks now.

This one is not my favourite in any way, but that does not mean it is a bad tea – only that it is not so much to my taste. It’s actually a very well-flavoured tea indeed, which delivers precisely what it promises on the tin. The front of the sip is sweet, the middle of the sip is creamy and rich, and the end of the sip has a salty finish to it which is perfectly balanced with the sweet. None of the notes interfere with each other; they work together harmoniously. Really, I think this is one of DAVIDsTEA’s best blends of the year.

If only I liked the whole taste combination more in the first place, I would be all over this one. As it is, I’m weirded out by salty tastes in tea, and will probably not get this again. The rating is less for my personal taste, and more an acknowledgement of how well this tea delivers on its name.

This is one from my swap with Tigress Al.

Not to fond of the smell of the dry tea. I couldn’t even say what it smelled like. Kind of like yeast and that alcohol smell that sometimes 52 teas has.

The taste of the brewed tea is not awesome but it is not bad. It reminds me of dark chocolate and burnt caramel. I am not really getting any type of salted caramel flavour. Gets more flavourful as it cools. It makes an ok dessert tea. Not one I would have normally tried on my own.

Backlogging. Can’t believe I haven’t reviewed this yet, I’ve had it so many times.
This, my friends, smells VERY much like Lush’s It’s Raining Men shower gel/Honey I Washed the Kids soap (both of which are amazing, by the way). I get honey from it rather than caramel.
Brewed, it’s a slightly bitter black tea that does retain that honey/caramel flavour that it smells like. This is one of those teas that tastes very much like it smells, which doesn’t always happen. I like this one sweetened with sugar rather than agave (I don’t know, sugar just works better in very gourmand teas I find). I can’t imagine it without sweetener simply because I can’t imagine caramel not being sweet. Also, the appeal of salted caramel is the salty/sweet contrast, and if you don’t sweeten this tea you lose the contrast.
The salt part isn’t really noticeable when this is hot, it’s as it cools a bit that the back of the sip has a salty quality. At first it was neat, but quickly became kind of strange. It’s kind of as though you used very slightly salted water to brew your tea. It wasn’t a sea-salt taste (because again, part of the idea of salted caramel is the texture of the salt), but more of a salt-water taste, and only slightly at the end of the sip. It was a little weird, but I’m not sure how else you can do salted caramel in a tea. I think they did a good job incorporating all the elements without making some super salty tea abomination.

Once I mixed this with DT’s Chocolate Cake. THAT was excellent, and I would repurchase both teas again just to mix them that way. This is still a solid tea on it’s own though.

DaisyChubb

I looove teas that remind me of Lush and vice versa! LUSH is right across from the DT in my mall so it’s perfect haha

tigress_al

I think Chocolate cake was discontinued though :(

PatchworkSheep

It’s no longer in store, but you can still get it online (at least for now)!

TheKesser

I remember not caring for chocolate cake all that much the first time I tried it (realistically I think I’ve only had it the once or twice), but I’m going to have to take you up on the idea of mixing this one with it! That sounds yummy!

Sipdown! I thought I’d be more sad about this one leaving my cupboard, but my last cup was kind of meh and didn’t really leave me excited about the tea. I still love the rich, almost burnt sugar notes and the really sturdy black tea base, but overall it was pretty underwhelming.

I do love that there’s a subtle coconut note too. It doesn’t hit you in the face but it makes the whole cup smoother and creamier. I might get more of this come wintertime when I’m more in the mood for richness and dark flavours. But for now, huzzah to the new space in my cupboard!

A sample from Sil! I haven’t been drinking that many black teas of late, so this is a bit of a departure from my usual routine. It’s been warm here — summer has definitely arrived — but I’m not feeling great this weekend, so black tea it is.

The dry leaf has small pieces of toffee in it, and the scent is pretty accurate. It has the charcteristic sweet, caramelised scent, plus a bit of saltiness. Brewed, this is much the same in terms of scent. I’ve added milk, so it’s also taken on a slight creaminess, and there’s a thin film on the surface that I’m assuming is from the melted toffee pieces.

To taste, this reminds me of some homemade fudge I had with coffee in a hotel recently. It’s very sweet, definitely caramel, and wonderfully creamy. The saltiness is barely detectable unless I really focus. Overall, I’m really impressed with this one. I like caramel flavoured blacks, so I don’t expect that’s saying much, but this one has a particularly strong and clear flavour. Great stuff!

I don’t have time for a real tasting note (thanks a lot, work), but I just had to quickly log this to raise my rating. This is the first time I brewed it myself (had previously tried it in-store), and it tastes like liquid candy; just perfect.

I got a sample of this from TeaTiff in our recent swap—it goes really well with the caramel chocolate you sent! It was almost too pretty to eat.

This is a really nice caramel tea. It has a rich mouthfeel and it’s just sweet enough. There is some salt feeling to it but not too much, and I can see myself reaching for it again when I want a dessert tea.

1927 tasting notes

The smell of this brewed is rather cloying and very hard to get passed. The taste of caramel is there but weak and the aftertaste is salty. I am definitely not a fan. This cup is going down the drain and the rest of the 10 g I have is going into the swap box which seems to be growing rather quickly.

MissB

Yikes. I have some of this too to try out.

VariaTEA

Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did. Tbh salted caramel teas just have not been my thing. I was not a fan of this and I didn’t really enjoy Teavana’s CocoCaramel Sea Salt.

MissB

I was okay with CocoCaramel Sea Salt, although I only had it in a blend with some honeybush and something else… blanking out now.. that the staff member told me was her “personal blend” to make it into Red Velvet Cake. While I got a different flavor feel from it, it was still a nice combo.

VariaTEA

I preferred CocoCaramel Sea Salt to this but neither of them were really for me

I stole a sample of this from the traveling tea box. I figured if I liked it I could just go buy some.
I wont be buying it, it’s not terrible, but it came out incredibly astringent after a 3 minute steep.