Root Beer Float (organic)

Black Tea, Cinnamon, Natural Flavours, Safflower Petals, Sarsaparilla, White Chocolate
Anise, Cinnamon, Root Beer, Sarsaparilla, Licorice, Vanilla, Medicinal, Fennel, Cream, White Chocolate
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

2 Images

• “This was actually pretty good. For some reason, I had some idea that I wasn't going to like this one. As others have mentioned, it is not great warm, but I wasn't really expecting it to because...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 806 tasting notes
  • “When I was in the store last week, aside from my list, I still felt like getting a little something extra and the SA suggested this one. I was unsure about the concept while reading about it on...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “(Apologies in advance because it is 2 am and I know I will ramble.) This one just came out yesterday with Cherry Cola; and while I'm generally too lazy to bother getting anything done before my...” Read full tasting note
    Daniel_Scott 107 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Azzrian* for sending me a bit of this tea - it's yummy! I've had a few different root beer float teas/tisanes, and some were better than others ... this is good, but not the best that...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4366 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Floating on air
As far as we’re concerned, the root beer float is king of the soda shop. The crackle and fizz of root beer, the cool richness of vanilla ice cream – what could be better? Well, what if we brought the malt shop right to your tea shelf? With black tea, vanilla, cinnamon and white chocolate, this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend tastes just like the classic treat. For the full experience, try it as an iced latte with lots of foam.

Ingredients: Organic: black tea from Sri Lanka, vanilla, cinnamon, white chocolate, safflower.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Thank you to whatshesaid for this sample.
I love root beer. This tea does taste like root beer, more specific, similar to Barq’s root beer.
I had enough to brew one cup. I brewed it hot, drank half of it. Definitely root beer. I enjoyed it hot. It was not too sweet, I could have added sweetener but chose not too. I let the rest of the cup cool and drank it cold. Also very good. It tasted very similar to flat root beer pop, which actually I quite enjoy as well. It had a more distinct root beer flavour cold.
I did a second resteep for about 7 minutes. Was still decent, just not as strong.
I am so disappointed this blend has been discontinued. Fingers crossed Davids Tea will bring it back or will come up with something even better.

whatshesaid

Glad you enjoyed it, sorry I didn’t have enough to share more! Now isn’t it completely ridiculous that they discontinued this in favor of the revolting Cherry Cola one!?

Lala

I know! I cannot figure that one out. I really enjoyed this sample, thank you so much for sending me some when you had so little left.

ahhhahahaaa! heaven!!
root beer is my absolute favourite drink of all time, ever.
so a root beer TEA? incredible.
the smell is amazing, just like fresh, fizzy root beer. i’ve only had it hot so far, and the taste is much lighter, but you’re left with that tingly fizzy sensation afterwards. amazing.
it’s almost sweet, almost savoury, just like a good root beer. i can’t wait to try it iced and sweetened up a bit, i can imagine it will bump up my rating!

TheTeaFairy

I got mine today, I’m about to «open the bottle», yes I got the «special edition» it came in a real(plastic)root beer bottle, awesome!

mpartea

hahaha, of course i had to get the fancy packaging as well!! ;)

TheTeaFairy

must be girly girl thing!

I finally got around to tasting my batch of this one over a shared cup with a friend last night. This truly was interesting, but in a good way. Like other reviewers said, it did actually have that root beer taste to it. I liked it better hot and I might toss in a touch of sweetener next time to tease out more of the pop flavour. That being said, spot on flavour wise.

My only gripe with this tea would be that my cup was very murky. Has anyone else had this issue with it? It was more than an oil scum, the top of the tea was downright grainy. I did toss it through a metal infused, so next time I am going to try a finer filter bag, but it would be nice to get rid of a bit of the muck because it did detract from the tea for me. Otherwise, it was a fun tea to try.

Ah, root beer float. The dry smell of it repulsed me slightly but I’ve learned not to judge teas before I steep and drink :) I love this tea. It’s not too float-y to me, but very root beer!! I love it. Spot on. I think a latte would be super.

There’s no mistaking what flavor this tea is supposed to be. It smells exactly like root beer: spicy, malty, and creamy. The dry leaves have an overwhelmingly sweet aroma from the vanilla, but the cinnamon still comes through. The steeped tea smells exactly the same, with a hint white chocolate. Unfortunately, it doesn’t taste as flavorful or dynamic as it smells. I found this tea to be quite weak even though I used 2 tsp per 8oz of water.

Sweetener is definitely necessary to achieve that true root beer float flavor and to ease the slightly bitter aftertaste. I also added a bit of milk as I always do with flavored black teas. I found myself enjoying my cup even more as it cooled some, so I’m going to try this iced next.

I had this hot and didn’t much like it. I get a little of the root beer flavor, but not as much as I thought. I added a little milk to it which made it a little better, but i find this tea very bitter. And didn’t get any float creamy flavor out of it either.

I am not sure. That’s pretty much all I can say. I’m not sure. The dry tea has a similar smell to Apres Ski. There is just something…off about it. Is there burdock root in this tea? I thought that ingredient was the culprit for the slightly “garbage” smell in Apres Ski but it is not listed in the ingredients here. Anywhoodles, the root beer smell is there but, again, it is followed by a slightly off smell that can be a bit off putting.

The tea improves moderately when brewed. The root beer flavor is definitely there. It’s much more appealing in tea form than I thought it would be. There is also a nice vanilla background. It’s not as strong as I would like it but it’s there and it enhances the root beer flavor very nicely. The white chocolate added a nice creaminess that brought out the “float” in root beer float. However, there is still a slight off smell that did not go away with brewing like it did in Apres Ski. I added 2 tsp of brown sugar and the all-around flavor of the tea improved.

I also noticed many floaters in this tea. I’m a neat freak so that irked me a little. I ended up straining my tea through a cheesecloth before drinking.

This smells amazing EXACTLY like a Root Beer Float actually.Truth in advertising.

Steeped less for shorter.That’s the rule of thumb for DT’s black teas or you’ll get a bitter surprise.

Maybe should have tried it iced but this morning was chilly and I felt like a nice hot tea to start the day with.I sincerely hope this is better then the Cherry Coke tea I tried yesterday.

As for taste it’s pretty nice actually.Lightly sweet the Root Beer flavor comes through nicely…It’s a gimmicky tea and I don’t think this will be a regular menu option but as a one off 20 gram bag it’s worth it.

I had to buy this, it came in a cutesy (root) beer bottle. How could anyone pass it up. Not to mention it smells exactly like root beer, in both the dry notes & as it steeps.
I had originally made some this morning for my daughter (who is avid about trying teas, although rarely likes them), sipping this slightly cooled it was quite bitter & I knew she wouldn’t like it. I advised her to wait until it got colder (over ice), even then she didn’t like it. She found it to only have a slight root beer taste, which I agree on, I also got a hint of vanilla. It was good but could have been more root beer tasting (I always add extra leaves when steeping). I’m hoping on the next go with slightly more leaves I can get more flavour from it.

All I can really say about this tea is it is certainly intriguing for what it is. It may not be the same as a real root beer float; however it’s pretty much as close as your going to get with tea and without adding ice cream.

The minute I opened this tea I could confirm without a doubt it smelled like a root beer float, the vanilla really imparts the float aspect to me. I would have been nicer to have a smidgen more vanilla come through in the steeped beverage as it probably would have solidified the float aspect of this tea even more; however it is still a winner in my books.

This is one I will probably keep on hand, not only just to be able to smell it, but I am sure once people see a root beer float tea they will be wanting to try it, I mean I have that issue with a large portion of my dessert teas as it is!