Big Apple

From DAVIDsTEA

DAVIDsTEA

About DAVIDsTEA View company

1931 tasting notes

A sample from DavidsTea in my last order. I decided to brew this up strong, and have it over ice. This is definitely the time for iced teas.

It smells more like baked apples, while Persian Apple is really fresh and sweet.

Yep, tastes like baked apples too. Like the fall, rather than spring or summer. The white base is rather bitter, which is something I really don’t like. It may be better with a lower temp (I did about 190F) or less time, but I used my whole sample for this cup.

I’m curious, and will probably pick up 10-20g at some point to see if I can get this tea to work better for me.

I purchased a whopping 100g of this based on smell alone. Oops. My first brew followed the bags recommendation (4min @ 80C). My second brew was 3min @ 80C. Both were seriously so bitter I ended up dumping it all down the drain.

After some googling, I tried again, brewing it for no more than 2 minutes at 70C. That did the trick. It has the perfect amount of apple, and it is slightly creamy. It feels comfy. That smell that drew me to this tea comes out perfectly if you can get the brew just right, but this is one tricky brew.

Kittenna

I have a bit of my sample of this left; I shall try your parameters! I kept getting bitterness, which sucked because I could tell that there was a tasty tea lurking in there!

saamantha

I hope it works for you! It really is a lovely tea.

For the second infusion, I let it steep for just 1:30. The bitterness I experienced with the first steep was completely gone. There is still a nice apple flavor, but the vanilla I tasted in the first brewing is no longer detectable.

mmm they could have called this one ‘caramel apple’, because that’s what it tastes like!
i brought it to work, so it had cooled down quite a bit, not hot, and not iced. just nice and warm and it was sooo delicious. not cinnamon-y at all (i thought it would be a Mom’s Apple Pie repeat), just sweet apple, white tea, and caramel flavour. will definitely stock up on this one!

My cup of this one went bitter on me. I’m not too sure why. Thankfully it was only the tiniest bit, but still I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to finish it. I think if I had steeped this one up for 2 minutes it would have been better. I’m going to have my last two spoons as iced I think.

Kristal

I’ve gotten so used to brewing my green tea perfectly I can’t stand when it gets bitter either

My wife sent me this tea from Canada, along with a few others for Christmas.

It was so exciting to receive a wee parcel full of tea on my doorstep this morning.~

This tea smells brilliant in its loose-leaf mixture, large chunks of apple mean that it’s tangy and tart. When it brews, the scent of apple intensifies in a really nice way.

This tea has a green tea and white tea base, and generous pieces of apple. It’s quite sweet and fruity, but also has notes of cream and caramel in the body. The only thing I would suggest is to be careful when you brew it and be cautious with your water temperature because green tea can quickly become bitter if you over-steep it.

So, overall this tea was a pleasant surprise, sweeter than I had anticipated, creamier, but lovely. I’m fairly new to both white and green tea so this was a great suggestion and edition to my cupboard.

Flavors: Caramel, Cream

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 15 OZ / 440 ML

Yuck. I received this as a sample with my last order. It has a horrible after taste, one I can’t even describe. Not to mention, the apple flavor is so fake, almost what you’d expect tart apple flavored candy to taste like. Just not good at all. Thank goodness I didn’t purchase it.

Update:
I stopped the water just before boil and steeped it for less time than the instructions say (probably more for 2 minutes instead of 3) and I have to say this is probably one of my new favorite teas! You can really taste the apple with no bitterness! and the aroma is to die for!

I tried this one for the first time this morning. I was very careful of the temp and the steep time, as I’d read this one is tricky to get right.

I poured some tea at the 1 min mark, and some after 2 min so I could compare the two. Strangely enough, the 1 min steep had an astringency to it that the 2 min didn’t. I preferred it after 2 min.

It did have an apple-like taste to it, but it wasn’t so distinctive that I feel the need to buy more than the small sample that I bought. There were a couple of really big chunks of apple in my 20g bag, that I think made up most of the weight of the “tea”.

This might be good iced, but I’m not really an iced-tea kind of girl.

Very impressed with this tea. I steeped it exactly as the packet suggests and it isn’t at all bitter.
My Mum bought me this tea and it is really yummy. I really don’t like artificial apple flavour but I don’t get any artificial apple flavour from this tea at all. It’s very fresh and fruity! Yummy. :)