Pineapple Oolong

Oolong Tea
Apricot, Natural Flavours, Oolong Tea, Pineapple
Candy, Creamy, Pineapple, Sweet, Thick
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I’m finishing this sample today. It’s a light oolong with a definite pineapple taste. To me it’s more of a Spring/Summer tea than Autumn/Winter tea. I find that as the days and nights get...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 351 tasting notes
  • “Thank you SO MUCH to Dexter for sharing her bounty in free DavidsTea with me. :) Yep, this is the tea I chose. And it's been changed. The pineapple pieces are now HUGE, way bigger than the oolong...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1565 tasting notes
  • “I didn't realize I never posted a longer review! We finished this one up today and it is on my re-buy list, honestly. The oolong is there but very subtle under the sweet pineapple. It puts me in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 699 tasting notes
  • “I finally managed to take the time to brew this one up, and have to say that I'm rather disappointed. Yes, it's definitely pineappley. But the oolong is lighter than I was expecting, and would have...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2494 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Crowning glory

With their exotic, golden flavour and dramatic spiky crown, pineapples are clearly the king of the fruit world. Their original name was “Ananas,” from the Tupi word for “excellent fruit” – we couldn’t have said it better ourselves. Here we blend big pieces of pineapple with Tie Kwan Yin oolong tea, for the perfect balance of fresh, fruity and floral. The result? A bright, refreshing blend that’s equally amazing hot or iced. Trust us – it’s like drinking a cup of sunshine.

Ingredients: Hand-rolled Ti Kwan Yin oolong, pineapple, apricot.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m finishing this sample today. It’s a light oolong with a definite pineapple taste. To me it’s more of a Spring/Summer tea than Autumn/Winter tea. I find that as the days and nights get darker, so does my taste change from the lighter teas towards black teas and deeper flavors. This one goes in my “like it but don’t love it” list. I’d pick it up if it were on sale, but it’s not one that I’ll need to keep stocked in my cupboard.

Aimee Popovacki

i didn’t love this one.. until i tried it as a teapop… i know teapop’s are so gimmicky, and it pained me that they were trying to talk me into it and i caved.. but i’m glad i did.. it was so good.

Yep, this is the tea I chose. And it’s been changed. The pineapple pieces are now HUGE, way bigger than the oolong balls. This makes it way harder to get an even distribution of tea & pineapple. I definitely preferred the tiny pieces of pineapple. I suppose I could pull them out and dice them up. :) I’ve done it for other teas!

The tea is still good, with lots of sweetness from the candied pineapple. I iced it, as I prefer to do. I’ll be able to get at least 2 more cups of iced tea from this set of leaves, as I didn’t oversteep, or force them to open by stirring. Heh.

Definitely a tea I like to have around. I don’t need much as I don’t often drink oolongs, but it’s so nice to have once in a while.

(With ice to make 16 oz.)

I didn’t realize I never posted a longer review! We finished this one up today and it is on my re-buy list, honestly. The oolong is there but very subtle under the sweet pineapple. It puts me in mind of dried pineapple more than fresh, but that’s okay. It is one of the rare cases where a flavoured oolong meshes really well for me. It is a bit cost prohibitive, but it’s also an excellent treat to enjoy once in a while.

I continue to be amazed at how good it is!

TheTeaFairy

I just brought this one home today, wonder how it compares to Butiki Pineapple oolong! Sounds great from your description…

I finally managed to take the time to brew this one up, and have to say that I’m rather disappointed. Yes, it’s definitely pineappley. But the oolong is lighter than I was expecting, and would have liked (aka I can barely taste it, and only if I try to). I only have enough leaf left for another tiny cup (this was a big cup, as I was making it to throw in my Timolino), so will have to see if a longer infusion helps. Otherwise, this one’s not too terribly different from Bamboozled. I doubt it will ever beat out Banana Oolong for me; that tea is just special.

Eisenherz

Banana Oolong is really special! I don’t even like bananas and I love it, lol! I’m surprised about your review though, I personally found the oolong taste to be really present in it, making it much yummier than Bamboozled. Maybe I got lucky and had a better batch…!

Kittenna

Hmm, possibly. Mine was quite fruity (and better than Bamboozled), but there was barely any oolong flavour; perhaps my batch had “too much” fruit in it?

Eisenherz

That’s plausible, I remember my batch not having that much fruit in it

Whoo! HAd this iced as the tea of the day – it did leave a little to be desired, but I brought some leaves home because I knew I could coax some more flavour out of it.

I was right! Lovely natural pineapple flavour with a delicious oolong base (possibly the same base as banana oolong? either way I’m a fan!) Creamy, yet light and refreshing.

Pineapple is not my favourite flavour, but I can say this was done well! Now, strawberry or mango oolong and I might go bankrupt, I’m just sayin ;)

Kittenna

Same base as banana oolong?! I was really hoping for that. My wallet had other ideas, but oh well. I should have stopped by DT today… I actually was at the mall O.o

tigress_al

Whoa this sounds wonderful. And it is way cheaper than I was expecting it to be!!

Indigobloom

I was thinking the same, that the base is very similar! if not a hair more jasmine-like

My picking up the new fall teas reminded me that I haven’t even reviewed this, and I’m down to my last serving. Pineapple is like candy to me. So sweet and juicy.

The dry leaf smells like pineapple candy. The Tie Kwan Yin can be finicky, and I find that if you can’t watch the steepage, you’re left with astringent oolong and weak pineapple in the background.

But if done right, it’s pineapple sunshine with a fresh hint of floral in the background. The second steep is lighter on the pineapple but is worth it for the base too.

I’m sure this would make a killer cold brew, and imagine mixing it with coconut oolong. My, oh my.

caile

I liked this one as well, and you’re right about it becoming astringent easily. I bet it would be good with coconut!

tigress_al

Good idea. Coconut and pineapple oolongs together would be delightful!

I had a cuppa this to go today. and because the girl in front of me was rude and the server didn’t notice her jumping the line… I got my cup freeeeeeeee. Yay for free tea!!
I wasn’t too upset about it, as I was texting right before the girl behind me swooped in front and I had stepped up to smell the open tin of Pineapple oolong. In Fairness, it wasn’t clear that I hadn’t been served yet. Which is why I was surprised by the “on the house” cup. Started my afternoon of right! :)
Anyhow, the tea! it was good. I went for three steeps, and the second was best by far. The first was too thick and sweet but satisfying(not overwhelming the tea aspect like some DT blends), and the last started to remind me of Jasmine, which is so not my thing. So overall, it had both good and bad points.
The pineapple came through very nicely, I quite enjoyed that flavour note. In fact, if the TKY was less Jasmine like, I’d have bought some to take home. Sadly though, such is not the case! so my rating here is 79

So after drinking rooibos this morning, I’m working my way to this oolong. At this rate, I’ll never be awake. But that’s ok. TK is fighting a cold so she’s just tired and dopey and so I’ve decided today’s a pj day, and we’ll both have a nap this afternoon. I think I’m fighting off a bug too. So, loading up on caffeine isn’t the best idea.

Oh, and if I have my afternoon nap I’ll definitely be alert at midnight for Black Friday shopping!

This oolong is ok. I’m considering picking up oolong at Teavivre with my $10 coupon – maybe the Big Red Robe? I drank a lot of oolong over the past month or so and I think that was the one I liked the most. It’s probably a good one to have around.

This pineapple one is ok. I could probably just do this myself with dried pineapple and tie guan yin.

Also, my kid has fallen in love with the original Winnie the Pooh movie (well the one I grew up with?) so my day is filled with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLnADKgurvc

OMGsrsly

Oh. My. I’ve never seen the Winnie the Pooh movie – we had audiobooks on records when I was a kid.

Cavocorax

Oh, I vaguely remember that. My dad always had records on. I didn’t realize the original Pooh animation was done in the 60’s. That explains the somewhat psychedelic nature of the clip I posted.

OMGsrsly

It reminds me of Fantasia.

Cavocorax

Yeah, Fantasia is pretty great. :) I’m waiting for TK to fall for it too. She likes to dance to everything even if by dance, she means spins in circles and giggle. :P

Sip down! Had a couple of cups of this today. I had mostly wanted to try this since I love Stacy’s pineapple oolong and enjoyed teh version i had from lupicia. I wanted to see how another version compares so I picked up a small amount of this one over the weekend. Final verdict? Meh. I much prefer the other two versions…this one has a floral note to it that I don’t like and comes across as a little too artificial tasting, though it does smell heavenly!

The brew is a nice light yellow.

The first sip is sweet, creamy pineapple with floral oolong in the background at first. In the aftertaste, it is that nice floral oolong with a little hint of apricot.

Resteep 90degrees, 5 minutes. A little less pineapple flavour, the apricot and oolong come out a little more.

For being a pineapple oolong, I maybe would have liked it with a little bit less apricot. But I do really like this