Cocoa Canela (organic)

Yerba maté Tea
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Dark Bittersweet, Caramel, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I've been working so hard at drinking _only_ teas I'm working towards sipping down that I decided today to reward myself with another tea that I'm not aiming to sipdown any time soon; I just wanted...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1811 tasting notes
  • “My friend messaged me this morning in search of a tea that tastes like DAVIDs Pumpkin Chai. I just sent mine off last week but I recommended Grandma's Pumpkin Pie and keeping an eye on DAVIDs web...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1877 tasting notes
  • “Today I used this to make my first latte ever! It was exciting, although I’m quite certain I screwed it up. It’s milky, chocolatey, cinnamony, and it has that roasty mate taste. It does leave a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from Friday night. I've heard pretty good reviews about this one, especially from a coworker, so was pretty excited to try it out! The dry tea is definitely VERY cocoa-y, so much so that...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Muy delicioso

This super-chocolatey blend is an homage to Mexican hot chocolate, which is traditionally spiked with cinnamon. First we take carob, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder and chocolate chips for a rich chocolate overload. Then we add pieces of cinnamon for a hint of spicy warmth. And to top it all off we add South American yerba maté for a seriously sweet energy boost. Try it as a latte with a shake of cinnamon and a warm churro for dipping. (MK Kosher Dairy)

Ingredients: Organic: Yerba maté, carob, cocoa nibs and powder, cinnamon, chocolate. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So yummy. I adore cinnamon hot chocolate, and so this is right up my alley. My goal this week is to get in the habit of starting out the day with a single cup of tea or coffee and then not have any more tea until I’ve finished off my 1.5 liter bottle of water. So by the time I remember that I really want to have a cup of this tea, it’s usually after my 4 pm high-caffeine cut off point.

But this morning, I remembered! I’m so happy. I should have made a latte, though. What good is hot cocoa if it isn’t creamy? Next time, Gadget, next tiiiiime. It’s still yummy as heck and it makes me want to just sink into this cup and savor it. I love that the flavor of the roasted mate isn’t obliterated by the cocoa and cinnamon, it adds a nice depth to the sip. I used the brown sugar cubes again and I think I’m hooked on them. But this tea is a winner to me and I’m grateful to have 50 grams more of it! It is what it says, a great Mexican hot chocolate tea.

1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

First tea from the “considering” TTB! Super exciting!

I needed something to calm me down from the anxiety of making awkward phone calls, so a hot chocolate tea seemed like just the thing. I used a tablespoon for ~6 oz of water and then added some heavy cream. It was delightful! Chocolatey, with a dash of spice, and that toasty caroby and mate taste. (Have I ever actually tried straight mate? I’m not sure.) I’m also getting a vaguely citrusy note, which is probably from the cinnamon. I’m very glad that I’m not getting the licorice taste that someone else mentioned…

Overall, it’s like hot chocolate, with a little bit of something extra that makes it feel not quite so… empty. I like it. =]

so thanks to davids for this sample of tea, i am at work and tired! BLAh thank god for this Stimulant tea! i dont taste much chocolate but there is a Cinnamon taste that i like, seams a bit weak which makes me think maybe i should have added more but in all i like this tea and would want some for the days at work when i just cant seam to stay awake! lol

I love cocoa canela. I especially love it iced… its okay hot too, but its a beautiful pick me up on a summer morning. I think how it is sweet with a little bit of spice. I think that’s one of the downfalls of chocolate rocket for me. Its just a little bit too sweet to drink as a go to. I kept getting to go cups last summer of this one and never picked up any for my stash. I went in there on Friday and they had the 25g bags 2 for 5 dollars. I was so excited to see that, so I picked up enough of them to ensure that i’d have a bit on hand to get me through the first couple of weeks of working full time day shifts at eight am!

mmmm, chocolate on chocolate on chocolate on cinnamon…
this has the means to be a favourite. my tea to water ratio was a bit off, so things were a tad watery, but the cinnamon and chocolate did come through.
i’m dying to try this as a stove top latte (similar recipe with the pumpkin chai – steep the tea in (almond) milk on the stove and add brown sugar). i think it will be an incredible start to my early morning classes when it starts to get a bit chillier out!
horrah for chocolate! and davids! :D

Received this one as one of my free sample from my online order was really happy since cocoa and cinnamon are 2 of my favorite thing so how the 2 combined can be anything but good? well it is not. Not that it is bad it’s just don’t taste nothing the sample they give is for one cup so i put it all in my mug. The water does take the color of cocoa but that’s all just the color not even a little hint of cinnamon that could make it a flavored water

Really disappointed i was really hoping to like it but how to like something more complicated to make than water but taste the same?

Hmmm… so this wasn’t what I was expecting? I don’t know and words cannot describe yet what I feel about this tea… I was expecting it to be a bit more rich maybe? Decadent? When I smell it, I feel like it’s overpowering, but not in the overpowering way you smell a jar of cinnamon… there’s a harshness with it as well. It looks like someone scooped some dirt from Mars and said this is tea… and right now I am feeling like it doesn’t taste much better.

I tried it straight and then put some cream in it, and then added some milk. I don’t have a lot of experience with mate so I think the earthy taste I am smelling and tasting is the mate, but there is so much cinnamon. I feel like aliens from Mars are going to come down and tell me to drink this drink from their homeland because it looks equally as murky brewed. Any one have any suggestions on brewing this one? I didn’t have sugar in it either…

Well I guess I have 250g to play with and we’ll see where it takes me… heh opens gap between ring finger and middle finger like Spoc

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Earth

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 20 OZ / 600 ML

I will reserve judgement until I have this with milk and sugar, like it’s probably best. But my first cup was very meh. Bitter but not in the tasty way, powdery, nondescript.

EDIT: Nope. It’s just a blandly bitter mate with a bit of powdery cocoa. Def not worth it. Davids Tea you are striking out about 85% of the time for me right now.

Feeling sluggish so I reached for a mate this morning. The dry leaf smells…Holy Cinnamon, Batman! with an underlay of bitter chocolate lingering in the background. While steeping it smells just like Mexican Hot Chocolate. The color of the brew is surprisingly light and the taste is full and robust. Cinnamon and chocolate are well balanced. If I close my eyes, I wouldn’t think I was drinking tea but Mexican Hot chocolate. It’s spicy, warm and chocolatey. Even better with a hint of honey and a drop of milk. I may just get a full tin of this!

This tea smells fabulous in the package — a strong chocolate smell, with a little cinnamon. But the taste of the steeped tea doesn’t live up to the smell of the dry ingredients. For one thing, the chocolate flavour doesn’t come through all that much, and overall the combination of flavours just doesn’t quite produce a great taste. Disappointing, especially after the delicious smell of the dry tea.