Cocoa Canela (organic)

Yerba maté Tea
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Dark Bittersweet, Caramel, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I've been working so hard at drinking _only_ teas I'm working towards sipping down that I decided today to reward myself with another tea that I'm not aiming to sipdown any time soon; I just wanted...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2160 tasting notes
  • “My friend messaged me this morning in search of a tea that tastes like DAVIDs Pumpkin Chai. I just sent mine off last week but I recommended Grandma's Pumpkin Pie and keeping an eye on DAVIDs web...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2005 tasting notes
  • “Today I used this to make my first latte ever! It was exciting, although I’m quite certain I screwed it up. It’s milky, chocolatey, cinnamony, and it has that roasty mate taste. It does leave a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 351 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from Friday night. I've heard pretty good reviews about this one, especially from a coworker, so was pretty excited to try it out! The dry tea is definitely VERY cocoa-y, so much so that...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2494 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Muy delicioso

This super-chocolatey blend is an homage to Mexican hot chocolate, which is traditionally spiked with cinnamon. First we take carob, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder and chocolate chips for a rich chocolate overload. Then we add pieces of cinnamon for a hint of spicy warmth. And to top it all off we add South American yerba maté for a seriously sweet energy boost. Try it as a latte with a shake of cinnamon and a warm churro for dipping. (MK Kosher Dairy)

Ingredients: Organic: Yerba maté, carob, cocoa nibs and powder, cinnamon, chocolate. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Reading reviews, most everyone else seems to get a far bigger chocolate imprint than I do. The cinnamon here makes a larger impression on me than anything else.

Yum! This was super good and a great cup of morning mate. It was like having a water down version of a hot cup of cocoa. I added a splash of milk to make it creamier. I think, although, I like it it is not something I need to have every day. It will be enjoyed but probably not replaced once its done. I have just too many other teas I must try before this one is replaced.

Mate Andale!

This was my first mate and it was out of this world, being loaded with cocoa, chocolate and cinnamon it should appeal to almost anyone. It was compared to a glass of hot chocolate spiked Mexican style with a butt load of cinnamon, this was an accurate description!

Dry this tea looks like a tin of hot chocolate mix, its loaded with cocoa to the point everything has a coating of cocoa on it, then there is tons of chocolate chips to reinforce the chocolate aspect. Now that I think about it I couldn’t even see any mate leaves in there! It has a strong cocoa and cinnamon smell that is prevalent throughout enjoying this beverage.

The final brew for this tea is dark and dirty looking because of all the cocoa, chocolate and cinnamon; however I assure you it will taste delicious. This beverage does not require any sweetener but it does drink a lot better with some milk, that just makes it really seem like a hot chocolate.

TIP: As advised by the girls at Davids I had to try this tea as a mate latte. I did and it was freaking amazing, so I am going to pass that tip along!

So I decided to give this tea another try … and I just don`t know how to feel. I thought if I added more than what was required it would taste more like something, but no. It just disappointed me again. Maybe this just isn’t the tea for me.

Jude

Hi Calla – if you’d like to swap this out, I’d be happy to take it off your hands ;) I’m following you now so you can PM me.

My co-worker brought this to work for me to try. I really like hot chocolate, and this tea reminds me of an interesting variation of it. I really like the cinnamon, and I can imagine drinking this during the winter as I do my schoolwork or knitting :)

This was pretty good – I probably won’t buy more, but sometimes I surprise myself! It had a really nice consistency, creamy and smooth (I added a bit of milk, but not much). The cinnamon was present but not overpowering, and the chocolate was tasty. It just seemed to be missing something…I think it needs a bit more spice! I don’t think I would crave this one, but there certainly isn’t anything wrong with it.

Gave this one a shot this morning. I love this tea, I need to remember to brew it more often. It is one of the few teas where I feel like the mate base really works. I get the chocolate and the cinnamon, but underlying it all is the fruitiness of the mate, which really sets this tea apart for me. I do think it is a nice light bodied hot chocolate. One day, I really want to give it is shot with some milk, or even (gasp) cream!

This was disappointing. The description stated “super-chocolaty blend.” It tastes more like watery chocolate. However, I suspect that this would be better if the chocolate chips in the blend had actually melted completely and become a strong flavor. Maybe next time, I will let is steep for a short eternity. The combination of the flavors is actually really good, and I can see it in a hot chocolate mix working very well. The cinnamon and chocolate mix together nicely. I just wish it was stronger.

I tried this tea as one of the teas of the day samples in a DAVIDsTEA store when it first came out, told myself I would buy some when my stock of tea decreased, and then neglected to do so. But it was on sale in the 250g for $14.50 sale, so woo hoo!

To me, this is right on par for a Mexican hot chocolate without the chilli peppers. Maybe I should try adding some chilli flakes sometime? That could be really good, actually…

But I digress. Definitely chocolatey, with the earthiness of the roasted mate, definite smell of cinnamon and a bit of a taste, too, and carob. Yum. My only (continued) disappointment is that the chocolate chips never fully melt for me. I think next time I brew a cup I’ll put the chocolate chips from the scoop directly in my mug then stir it around at the end. It will probably just end up making a gooey mess at the bottom of my cup. Ha.

ADD brain: this tea would also probably be smashing with either strawberry bits or mango chunks in it. Or pineapple. Or…

This reminds me of a stronger Super Chocolate… I like it, but I probably won’t reorder it.