Cocoa Canela (organic)

Yerba maté Tea
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Dark Bittersweet, Caramel, Earth, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Well, just because I didn’t get my Cocoa Canela Eggnog Latte yesterday doesn’t mean I wasn’t still craving a cup of that lovely, Mexican Hot Chocolate tea – so that’s...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 3091 tasting notes
  • “My friend messaged me this morning in search of a tea that tastes like DAVIDs Pumpkin Chai. I just sent mine off last week but I recommended Grandma’s Pumpkin Pie and keeping an eye on DAVIDs...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2379 tasting notes
  • “Today I used this to make my first latte ever! It was exciting, although I’m quite certain I screwed it up. It’s milky, chocolatey, cinnamony, and it has that roasty mate taste. It does leave a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 357 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from Friday night. I’ve heard pretty good reviews about this one, especially from a coworker, so was pretty excited to try it out! The dry tea is definitely Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3013 tasting notes

Muy delicioso

This super-chocolatey blend is an homage to Mexican hot chocolate, which is traditionally spiked with cinnamon. First we take carob, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder and chocolate chips for a rich chocolate overload. Then we add pieces of cinnamon for a hint of spicy warmth. And to top it all off we add South American yerba maté for a seriously sweet energy boost. Try it as a latte with a shake of cinnamon and a warm churro for dipping. (MK Kosher Dairy)

Ingredients: Organic: Yerba maté, carob, cocoa nibs and powder, cinnamon, chocolate. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I ordered some of this with my last order because it sounded like it would be something I’d enjoy. I’m always looking for an alternative to hot chocolate, but one that still has that rich, sweet flavor. I love hot chocolate, but would prefer to save the calories for something else.

Sipping… this tastes really familiar and I think that it’s the cinnamon DAVIDsTEA uses. It’s sweet and warming, but I don’t get that much of a cocoa flavor. For me, this is hot cinnamon water with maybe a touch of cocoa if I really look for it. I keep sipping the cup thinking that maybe I’ll get a stronger chocolate flavor, but it never comes. Normally a watery cinnamon tea would be down the drain by now, but there is something in this that keeps it from being a cup of spicy liquid gum. I’m not sure what it is, but I appreciate it!

I am disappointed because I wanted this to be a nice Mexican hot chocolate blend, but I really don’t detect any rich, milky chocolate. I suppose I’ll have to move on and find another alternative.

How do you feel about rooibos? I recently ordered Godiva Roche from English Tea Store. With just a little sugar and a little almond milk it tastes pretty close to hot cocoa, but you can taste the rooibos. Yesterday, I drank their Chocolate Black tea and it was good, too. Not super strong, but I threw in a few extra cocoa nibs to amp up the flavor. I really like both of those teas.

arichard – I’m a big fan of rooibos. Will have to look into Godiva Roche! Thanks for the suggestion!

A creamy chocolatey treat, this one! Another great sample from VariaTEA — this is my first try of mate but I couldn’t really differentiate its flavour from the rest of the chocolate and cinnamon, seeing as I haven’t tried it before. (That’ll change soon—I got some straight mate in this month’s monstrositea box.)

All the “energiser” warnings made me hesitant to have this as an after-dinner treat so I finally got around to it today. Another latte (I’m trying not to smash through those awesome matchas until I get my proper matcha whisk in the post) that settled quite comfortably in my stomach.

This tea is the most non-mate tasting mate I have ever tried.

HA! Well then. Pretty much all I tasted was chocolate and cinnamon ;)

Same for me which is good cuz I am not a lover of mate.

Now this is the definition of Christmas in a cup. Reminds me of a spicy hot chocolate. The cinnamon doesn’t overpower the cocoa and the cocoa doesn’t overpower the cinnamon. Match made in heaven!

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Nutmeg

Tea one of my cabinet clean out!
One of my first David’s blends ever. I remember being really into it, but now that I am revisiting it I’m a little underwhelmed. The aroma is amazing; strongly chocolate with a hint of cinnamon. No sign of mate. After steeped however, it tastes nothing of chocolate or cinnamon and is instead watery and bitter. Carob is noted in the blend, and that type of chocolate bitterness is definitely present in junction to the bite of mate, which i typically like. There is also this kind of dry, powder aftertaste you get on your tongue. If you are looking for a chocolate tea, this is not what you are looking for.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Dark Bittersweet

I had a bit too much for one cup but less than 2 left so I made a really potent mug of this.

It’s probably the closest you can get to drinking hot chocolate as a tea. It brews up very murky and potent, and I definitely added milk, very chocolatey. I enjoyed this.

The cinnamon was a nice touch but not overwhelming, as I don’t love cinnamon in tea.

I am sure I can resteep this because I used so many “leaves” for one cup.

I wonder if DT still makes it…. I’m not sure if i would buy more anytime soon but it made for a good chocolate tea, I mean literally, this is a chocolate tea!

Very satisfying to drink.
One more tea gone!

I don’t dare count my teas, because I like to stay in the dark about how dangerous this obsession actually is for my cupboard space and my wallet!

I think this is my first Yerbe Mate tea… Whoo Hoo… Might need the energy today anyway… Gonna be a long one!

Chocolate sounded good this morning and I have been sleeping weird lately, so this looked like a blessing in my sample box. You know how you sleep all night and get up feeling like you just crawled into bed and don’t remember sleeping… Yeah, that… Ugh! I’ve done that for several days lately and most afternoons wish I could just catch a small nap, and I am not a nap taker.

Anyway, this is the first blend I’ve had that looks like a cocoa powder mess. I wasn’t sure how that would translate to the cup, and didn’t bother to smell it as I was afraid of the sneezing it may start.

Steeped I get a nice chocolate looking cup, a bit watery to the taste, but I think I might have under leafed a bit. Some of the cocoa settles as it sits, and I probably only notice this because I’m using a glass mug this morning. The combination of chocolate and cinnamon confuses me. In a chocolate cake dessert, forgo the cinnamon please, but in a tea so far I seem to be ok with it. This tastes of chocolate and cinnamon, and as it cools I almost lose some of the spice and get caramel… which I like as well.

The bottom of the cup is a bit murky and off putting w/all the cocoa left behind, but I simply left that to rinse out of my cup. I imagine this would be great as a latte… I have a bit left and might have to just try that. Thanks MissB for sending some of this my way!

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Cinnamon

Ok.. so frugal me, I often attempt a second steep even when I know very well that I took most of the flavor out of the mix on the first steep… but I try anyway.I did that today with this & was pleasantly surprised. The second cup was almost like a nice chai w/a hint of chocolate. It was almost better than the first cup because I got so much more out of the spices… Num!

I had this one plain today. All while I was drinking it I was thinking how else could I prepare this? With milk? Should I add any sugar? I think it’ll be fun to experiment with this one! That said I like it all on it’s own.

This is what I now drink on the weekend instead of coffee. I try to stay away from caffeine, but if I’m going to do it, I may as well do it right. It’s alright steeped in water, but it’s much better steeped in hot almond milk. Normally I would just use my regular 3.25% milk, but I was out, and had the almond milk handy. Really great. I like the natural sweetness of the cinnamon that comes out in this one, and the cocoa is great. Agreed that this is not a clean looking tea, but that’s alright. I steeped this one in water for about 20 minutes and found the mate flavor a bit strong; I’m used to drinking mates with a bombilla though, so it wasn’t all that unpleasant. Steeped for 20 minutes in the hot almond milk, though, made it something really special. I also use about a tbsp of this in my nordic mug, so much more than recommended. I like it strong.

I’m not going to drink this one every day, but when I need a little bit of a boost, I’d reach for this over coffee any day.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Also great steeped and cooled, then used in a morning protein shake. Bit of a kick, super tasty. I’m liking this one more and more, the more I drink it.

Oh Cocoa Canela, how I love you so so so much! This tea does not look like tea at all when you look at it. It is a variety of twig like shapes, flakes, chocolate chips and other unidentified objects covered in cocoa powder. I have to admit, that I have not had this tea straight; I have only ever had as a latte or with milk and a bit of agave, regardless, its absolutely amazing; so much so I have 350g stored away… Shhhh don’t tell.

UPDATE: I had this straight this morning, not as good… best to just stick with a tried and true method of having it as a latte or with milk. Still I absolutely love it!

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp

Alright now, I’m a little confused about how this is a mate tea. Where are the yerba mate leaves? Really. Where? They are coated with cinnamon, I think. That’s my best guess, because everything in thus tea here is covered in cinnamon.

Now I’m not the kind of person who likes concentrated amounts of cinnamon that can get really hot and spicy. I actually hate that. But this tea is not like that at all! It has the perfect amount of cinnamon to give a great flavor, without being unpleasantly spicy! Perfect. The only thing I don’t like is that the cinnamon leaves a gooey residue at the bottom of the cup when it settles. It’s kind of gross so I just didn’t drink that part.