Cocoa Canela (organic)

Yerba maté Tea
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Sweet, Nutmeg, Dark Bittersweet, Caramel, Earth, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Well, just because I didn’t get my Cocoa Canela Eggnog Latte yesterday doesn’t mean I wasn’t still craving a cup of that lovely, Mexican Hot Chocolate tea – so that’s...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 3822 tasting notes
  • “My friend messaged me this morning in search of a tea that tastes like DAVIDs Pumpkin Chai. I just sent mine off last week but I recommended Grandma’s Pumpkin Pie and keeping an eye on DAVIDs...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2805 tasting notes
  • “Today I used this to make my first latte ever! It was exciting, although I’m quite certain I screwed it up. It’s milky, chocolatey, cinnamony, and it has that roasty mate taste. It does leave a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 357 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from Friday night. I’ve heard pretty good reviews about this one, especially from a coworker, so was pretty excited to try it out! The dry tea is definitely Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3108 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Muy delicioso

This super-chocolatey blend is an homage to Mexican hot chocolate, which is traditionally spiked with cinnamon. First we take carob, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder and chocolate chips for a rich chocolate overload. Then we add pieces of cinnamon for a hint of spicy warmth. And to top it all off we add South American yerba maté for a seriously sweet energy boost. Try it as a latte with a shake of cinnamon and a warm churro for dipping. (MK Kosher Dairy)

Ingredients: Organic: Yerba maté, carob, cocoa nibs and powder, cinnamon, chocolate. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is what I now drink on the weekend instead of coffee. I try to stay away from caffeine, but if I’m going to do it, I may as well do it right. It’s alright steeped in water, but it’s much better steeped in hot almond milk. Normally I would just use my regular 3.25% milk, but I was out, and had the almond milk handy. Really great. I like the natural sweetness of the cinnamon that comes out in this one, and the cocoa is great. Agreed that this is not a clean looking tea, but that’s alright. I steeped this one in water for about 20 minutes and found the mate flavor a bit strong; I’m used to drinking mates with a bombilla though, so it wasn’t all that unpleasant. Steeped for 20 minutes in the hot almond milk, though, made it something really special. I also use about a tbsp of this in my nordic mug, so much more than recommended. I like it strong.

I’m not going to drink this one every day, but when I need a little bit of a boost, I’d reach for this over coffee any day.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
danideskjob

Also great steeped and cooled, then used in a morning protein shake. Bit of a kick, super tasty. I’m liking this one more and more, the more I drink it.

Oh Cocoa Canela, how I love you so so so much! This tea does not look like tea at all when you look at it. It is a variety of twig like shapes, flakes, chocolate chips and other unidentified objects covered in cocoa powder. I have to admit, that I have not had this tea straight; I have only ever had as a latte or with milk and a bit of agave, regardless, its absolutely amazing; so much so I have 350g stored away… Shhhh don’t tell.

UPDATE: I had this straight this morning, not as good… best to just stick with a tried and true method of having it as a latte or with milk. Still I absolutely love it!

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp

Alright now, I’m a little confused about how this is a mate tea. Where are the yerba mate leaves? Really. Where? They are coated with cinnamon, I think. That’s my best guess, because everything in thus tea here is covered in cinnamon.

Now I’m not the kind of person who likes concentrated amounts of cinnamon that can get really hot and spicy. I actually hate that. But this tea is not like that at all! It has the perfect amount of cinnamon to give a great flavor, without being unpleasantly spicy! Perfect. The only thing I don’t like is that the cinnamon leaves a gooey residue at the bottom of the cup when it settles. It’s kind of gross so I just didn’t drink that part.

Aha! Another year-old tea put to pasture..Found this sucker in my cupboard today.. It was in a sample pack.. The dry leafs are covered in powder (probably cinnamon) and there are huge chocolate chips.. I’m worried about the chocolate creating a film on top of my tea.. Extremely worried..

Dry Aroma: For some reason all I smell is chocolate covered raisins.. There are no raisins in this blend.. Smells yummy though!

Tea Aroma:Roasted mate with chocolate and raisin.. Seriously why do I smell raisins..

Color: Murky medium brown.

Taste: A deep roasted flavor with notes that are reminiscent of a mocha. I taste no raisins (yay!).

There is a light layer of film on top, I can see it but I can’t feel it in my mouth (double yay!). I would definitely repurchase this tea..

This tea is really disappointing. Such high hopes.

1. There’s hardly any maté in it.
2. It tastes like apple cider. I don’t know how. But if I wanted a spiced apple cider, I’d order something that had “apple” in the title.
3. Did I mention there’s hardly any maté in it? Nary a buzz to be found one hour later.

Perfect chocolate maté, I’m sure you’re out there somewhere. This tastes good, but calling it cocoa is an insult to the hot chocolate traditions of both Spain and Mexico. I’ll save my churros for something that actually tastes like chocolate.

Yay!

Cinnamon, cocoa, maté…

Smells and taste like a hot cocoa, only lighter. I love it!

Might keep this one for when I have a chocolate craving.

Definitely like Chocolate Rocket more, but I did buy 50g of this (I thought I’d definitely love it) sooo I must finish that before stocking up on my favourite…
The smell, I dislike. The taste is sweet and chocolate-y, and kind of fruit-y. Not what I expected. However it does get the mate job done. I wouldn’t buy it again.

This one goes one of two ways. If I steep it for the perfect amount of time, and not a second more, it tastes like cinnamon-chocolate deliciousness… almost like hot chocolate, actually. But, if left to steep too long, it takes on that artificial, Valentine’s candy heart flavour that I get out of so many teas that feature cinnamon. This is a good tea, but I’m too imprecise (and lazy) to be bothered to stand around timing it, so it’s not really for me.

I purchased this mate alongside chocolate rocket as a means of trying to get into mates after a bad mate experience in my teens.

I can’t stop raving about the chocolate rocket, even though on paper it’s really not my thing (I prefer straight teas with minimal added flavours). I tried this one as well, but I feel mixed about it.

My first cup was pretty good. I enjoyed the strong cocoa-cinnamon combination. My only complaint is that it made me crave sweets like nobody’s business. However, on my second cup a few days later, something bizarre happened. I was drinking it telling myself that it was “meh” and I won’t repurchase… then it started tasting like cigars. Like those horrible prime time cigars that teenagers smoke. It was probably a combination of the mate and the carob that caused this, but I can’t get that taste out of my brain now. I’m going to trade it away and it will live in the bucket of teas that were okay, and then went really wrong (ie. cinnamon chai rooibos).

All the other reviewers report a strong chocolatey flavour but I was disappointed to find that, for me, the cinammon quite overwhelmed the chocolate. It was a sad discovery, especially since this blend is advertised as ‘super-chocolatey’.