Guayusa (organic)

Guayusa Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Jungle fever

We are seriously passionate about guayusa around here, and we couldn’t be more excited to spread the word. Not only does it pack an incredible burst of energy, it’s also deliciously smooth, never bitter and lightly sweet. Plus it’s steeped in over 2000 years of Amazonian tradition and legend. To learn more about this wonder-herb, a bunch of the DAVIDsTEA staff went down to Ecuador to check out the guayusa farms, meet the workers and even harvest leaves for tea. Who knows – one of us might have even plucked this very batch.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Organic Guayusa from Ecuador.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Today i went to DT to pick up some essentials and I thought I would try something new to go. I got this with a bit of skim and agave. Living as close as I do I left the bag in until I got home.
I took a sip just as I walked in the door to discover the bag of floor my dog tore apart… which cutely left dough on his face. But it was a bad experience overall. It tasted like a cup of hot grass with sugar. This definitely wont find it’s way into my cupboard.

I got this as a sample from David’s Tea. This probably sounds bad, but this tastes like cooked cabbage to me. I really love this. I’m fond if vegetal like teas and this is no exception. I will certainly be ordering this!

personally when it comes between guayusa and mate i prefer guayusa so much more ! its less of a strong grassy taste which i dont mind at all but the difference is i find guayusa alot more smoother and sweet almost although I still do enjoy mate when roasted it gives off more of a nutty caramel flavor

I drank this in my DAVIDs guayusa bowl with my stainless steel bombilla with no milk or sugar added perfect energy boost without the jitters

This is fantastic!

My first cup, and I really like it. Brews much darker than I expected. As other reviewers noted, it’s very vegetal, very grassy. Smells earthy. Just a very green cup, overall.

I love it so far. Let’s see how the caffeine hits me.

Drinking the very last of my guayasa sample tin :( After reading over some of the other tasting notes I’m sad it never occurred to me to mix it with anything, I bet it would have been good that way. As it is, this cup is smooth and mild, sweet and grassy. This is the first guayasa I’ve ever had, so I’m not sure how it compares to others and I’m still a little unclear on what guayasa is. I’ve read several comments to the effect that it is highly caffeinated, but I get a lot more buzz from a black tea than I have from this.

Just got this today with a few other teas from David’s. I got no sleep last night due to stupidity and I didn’t want to brew something fancy and expensive (for a college student) until I had a chance to really enjoy it, so I decided to try a cup of this to wake me up. I don’t drink much caffeine, so I was worried about drinking too much of this, but I’m a cup in and my hands are still pretty steady.

The dry leaf smells exactly like it promises, grassy and natural with just a bit of sweetness. I brewed it for 5 minutes in boiling-ish water, and the liquor is darker than even some pu-erhs I’ve seen. On first taste, I actually didn’t have much to say about it. It delivers what it promises, but that’s pretty much it. The smell is pleasantly sweet, and it tastes like a mowed lawn smells, but pretty faintly. I knew I wasn’t just drinking boiled water, but it was hard to say much about it. I logged in to leave a ratingless “Eh.” review when I went back to the last quarter-cup cooling in the mug.

Wow. Dramatic change. The sweetness in the smell morphs into a something akin to red rooibos, though a bit less raisiny and more fresh. The flavor is clean, sweet, and easy to drink, and no amount of sipping will turn it bitter. I wasn’t so sure this was worth buying, but I’m happy to say I was wrong. Looking forward to this in the morning when I feel like passing out.

EDIT: So, as much as this has continued to grow on me, I have one caveat. You actually CAN overbrew this. It’s hard to do, this stuff has a high tolerance for whatever tomfoolery you throw at it, but after like 15 minutes in medium heat, it gets sort of aluminum-y.

Crunch Thudbutter

Why rate it 25 then?

Very strong tea, kept me awake for hours! Nice replacement for red bull. Added it to all the raj tea and it made the tea really nice.

Steepster IS eating my reviews and cupboard stash!!!! I KNEW IT!!!! I know for a fact I’ve reviewed this before, I know for a fact it was in my cupboard. I know for a fact I rated it at 98. SO THERE, SANITY. You can remain firmly implanted in my brain.

I loved this tea when I first got it, and still love it. It’s a little tart, grassy, and bitter all at the same time on its own, exactly like guayusa should be. I like mixing it with an equally tart herbal tea for flavour, usually Pink Passionfruit (which I bought 250 g of online a while ago), which is one of my favourite mid-morning blends. Yum! Fruity, stimulating, and no caffeine crash a few hours later. Yum yum yum. So now that I have an empty tin of it, my drawer at work is feeling sad…no more guayusa. :( Simple solution: buy more!

Verdict: will buy more on my next trip into David’s, providing it’s still sold in-store.

I didn’t have a lot of this left — probably around one serving one way or the other, so I just decided to brew it all.

It’s got a pleasant roasted taste to it — somewhere between black tea and genmaicha. I think I might like it a bit more if it were a little sweeter, or actually, it would probably be amazing with a hint of mint. But overall, it’s not a bad cuppa at all. And especially if it’s going to deliver the caffeine it promises, then I’m definitely going to want to have more of this.