Guayusa (organic)

Earth, Grass, Vegetal, Wood, Moss, petrichor, Rainforest, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Jungle fever

We are seriously passionate about guayusa around here, and we couldn’t be more excited to spread the word. Not only does it pack an incredible burst of energy, it’s also deliciously smooth, never bitter and lightly sweet. Plus it’s steeped in over 2000 years of Amazonian tradition and legend. To learn more about this wonder-herb, a bunch of the DAVIDsTEA staff went down to Ecuador to check out the guayusa farms, meet the workers and even harvest leaves for tea. Who knows – one of us might have even plucked this very batch.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Organic Guayusa from Ecuador.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Today i went to DT to pick up some essentials and I thought I would try something new to go. I got this with a bit of skim and agave. Living as close as I do I left the bag in until I got home.
I took a sip just as I walked in the door to discover the bag of floor my dog tore apart… which cutely left dough on his face. But it was a bad experience overall. It tasted like a cup of hot grass with sugar. This definitely wont find it’s way into my cupboard.

I got this as a sample from David’s Tea. This probably sounds bad, but this tastes like cooked cabbage to me. I really love this. I’m fond if vegetal like teas and this is no exception. I will certainly be ordering this!

personally when it comes between guayusa and mate i prefer guayusa so much more ! its less of a strong grassy taste which i dont mind at all but the difference is i find guayusa alot more smoother and sweet almost although I still do enjoy mate when roasted it gives off more of a nutty caramel flavor

I drank this in my DAVIDs guayusa bowl with my stainless steel bombilla with no milk or sugar added perfect energy boost without the jitters

This is fantastic!

My first cup, and I really like it. Brews much darker than I expected. As other reviewers noted, it’s very vegetal, very grassy. Smells earthy. Just a very green cup, overall.

I love it so far. Let’s see how the caffeine hits me.

Drinking the very last of my guayasa sample tin :( After reading over some of the other tasting notes I’m sad it never occurred to me to mix it with anything, I bet it would have been good that way. As it is, this cup is smooth and mild, sweet and grassy. This is the first guayasa I’ve ever had, so I’m not sure how it compares to others and I’m still a little unclear on what guayasa is. I’ve read several comments to the effect that it is highly caffeinated, but I get a lot more buzz from a black tea than I have from this.

Just got this today with a few other teas from David’s. I got no sleep last night due to stupidity and I didn’t want to brew something fancy and expensive (for a college student) until I had a chance to really enjoy it, so I decided to try a cup of this to wake me up. I don’t drink much caffeine, so I was worried about drinking too much of this, but I’m a cup in and my hands are still pretty steady.

The dry leaf smells exactly like it promises, grassy and natural with just a bit of sweetness. I brewed it for 5 minutes in boiling-ish water, and the liquor is darker than even some pu-erhs I’ve seen. On first taste, I actually didn’t have much to say about it. It delivers what it promises, but that’s pretty much it. The smell is pleasantly sweet, and it tastes like a mowed lawn smells, but pretty faintly. I knew I wasn’t just drinking boiled water, but it was hard to say much about it. I logged in to leave a ratingless “Eh.” review when I went back to the last quarter-cup cooling in the mug.

Wow. Dramatic change. The sweetness in the smell morphs into a something akin to red rooibos, though a bit less raisiny and more fresh. The flavor is clean, sweet, and easy to drink, and no amount of sipping will turn it bitter. I wasn’t so sure this was worth buying, but I’m happy to say I was wrong. Looking forward to this in the morning when I feel like passing out.

EDIT: So, as much as this has continued to grow on me, I have one caveat. You actually CAN overbrew this. It’s hard to do, this stuff has a high tolerance for whatever tomfoolery you throw at it, but after like 15 minutes in medium heat, it gets sort of aluminum-y.

crunch-thudbutter

Why rate it 25 then?

Very strong tea, kept me awake for hours! Nice replacement for red bull. Added it to all the raj tea and it made the tea really nice.

Felt my energy ailing after lunch and brewed a 28oz pot of this. I got it as part of the David’s Tea Energize pack which includes ‘The Buzz’, ‘Jumpy Monkey’ and ‘Organic Guayusa’.

It tastes much different from green tea, somehow I expected it would taste similar. It’s extremely vegetal/earthy. Drawing any comparison to green tea, I’d say the smell, texture and mouth feel is similiar to Japanese Sencha, just with a lot more earthy notes. I have let this steep until cold and I’m glad I did, it doesnt become bitter and it’s delicious cool/cold! When cold there is a lot less flavor/nose but it goes down so easy. Energy is quite smooth and while I didn’t notice a kick, I just noticed that I’m not tired anymore. Interesting stuff! It would be awesome on ice with some sugar in the summertime as an iced tea substitute.

Flavors: Earth, Grass, Vegetal, Wood

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 28 OZ / 828 ML

I’ve been meaning to try Guayusa for some time. I was reluctant to do so because I know it is a stimulant and I’ve been trying to watch my caffeine intake. Either way I decided to pick up 10 grams just to give it a try, and I like it! It basically tastes like a stronger green tea with a more grassy flavour. It’s really nice. I’m going to have to watch it with this tea though-this will be my only caffeine for the day and I have to make sure it won’t upset my sensitive stomach. I hope it doesn’t because I would like to keep this one around.

Also, did I mention this one is cheaper than any of the green teas from Davids? This would be a cost-effective tea to keep around!

Flavors: Grass