Guayusa (organic)

Moss, petrichor, Rainforest, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Jungle fever

We are seriously passionate about guayusa around here, and we couldn’t be more excited to spread the word. Not only does it pack an incredible burst of energy, it’s also deliciously smooth, never bitter and lightly sweet. Plus it’s steeped in over 2000 years of Amazonian tradition and legend. To learn more about this wonder-herb, a bunch of the DAVIDsTEA staff went down to Ecuador to check out the guayusa farms, meet the workers and even harvest leaves for tea. Who knows – one of us might have even plucked this very batch.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Organic Guayusa from Ecuador.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Today i went to DT to pick up some essentials and I thought I would try something new to go. I got this with a bit of skim and agave. Living as close as I do I left the bag in until I got home.
I took a sip just as I walked in the door to discover the bag of floor my dog tore apart… which cutely left dough on his face. But it was a bad experience overall. It tasted like a cup of hot grass with sugar. This definitely wont find it’s way into my cupboard.

I got this as a sample from David’s Tea. This probably sounds bad, but this tastes like cooked cabbage to me. I really love this. I’m fond if vegetal like teas and this is no exception. I will certainly be ordering this!

personally when it comes between guayusa and mate i prefer guayusa so much more ! its less of a strong grassy taste which i dont mind at all but the difference is i find guayusa alot more smoother and sweet almost although I still do enjoy mate when roasted it gives off more of a nutty caramel flavor

I drank this in my DAVIDs guayusa bowl with my stainless steel bombilla with no milk or sugar added perfect energy boost without the jitters

This is fantastic!

My first cup, and I really like it. Brews much darker than I expected. As other reviewers noted, it’s very vegetal, very grassy. Smells earthy. Just a very green cup, overall.

I love it so far. Let’s see how the caffeine hits me.

Drinking the very last of my guayasa sample tin :( After reading over some of the other tasting notes I’m sad it never occurred to me to mix it with anything, I bet it would have been good that way. As it is, this cup is smooth and mild, sweet and grassy. This is the first guayasa I’ve ever had, so I’m not sure how it compares to others and I’m still a little unclear on what guayasa is. I’ve read several comments to the effect that it is highly caffeinated, but I get a lot more buzz from a black tea than I have from this.

Just got this today with a few other teas from David’s. I got no sleep last night due to stupidity and I didn’t want to brew something fancy and expensive (for a college student) until I had a chance to really enjoy it, so I decided to try a cup of this to wake me up. I don’t drink much caffeine, so I was worried about drinking too much of this, but I’m a cup in and my hands are still pretty steady.

The dry leaf smells exactly like it promises, grassy and natural with just a bit of sweetness. I brewed it for 5 minutes in boiling-ish water, and the liquor is darker than even some pu-erhs I’ve seen. On first taste, I actually didn’t have much to say about it. It delivers what it promises, but that’s pretty much it. The smell is pleasantly sweet, and it tastes like a mowed lawn smells, but pretty faintly. I knew I wasn’t just drinking boiled water, but it was hard to say much about it. I logged in to leave a ratingless “Eh.” review when I went back to the last quarter-cup cooling in the mug.

Wow. Dramatic change. The sweetness in the smell morphs into a something akin to red rooibos, though a bit less raisiny and more fresh. The flavor is clean, sweet, and easy to drink, and no amount of sipping will turn it bitter. I wasn’t so sure this was worth buying, but I’m happy to say I was wrong. Looking forward to this in the morning when I feel like passing out.

EDIT: So, as much as this has continued to grow on me, I have one caveat. You actually CAN overbrew this. It’s hard to do, this stuff has a high tolerance for whatever tomfoolery you throw at it, but after like 15 minutes in medium heat, it gets sort of aluminum-y.

Crunch Thudbutter

Why rate it 25 then?

Very strong tea, kept me awake for hours! Nice replacement for red bull. Added it to all the raj tea and it made the tea really nice.

1991 tasting notes

One highly caffeinated To Go bevarage at DT isn’t enough, apparently, so to contrast my latte w. Kristina I also grabbed one of these babies, iced, To Go before me headed out for the day.

It was pretty good; it tasted like petrichor (the smell of the earth after it rains); very earthy, very fresh, with some natural sweetness to it. Rainforest, through and through.

The whole reason Kristina was in town was to go to a Metal Concert (Arsis; and four other bands opening for them) with me, but at this point it was about 12:30PM and the doors to the show didn’t open until 7PM so we had a lot of time to kill. We ended up taking the longer, more leisurely walk to the bus terminals downtown while I sipped on this. Along the way we stopped at this older, vinyl record place. I’d never been before, but it was really cool. The whole store had this very welcoming, but dated atmosphere and the staff were pretty low key and casual. It was fun.

I didn’t get anything, but she got a (Metal) album. It was fascinating watching the staff members find the CD; she brought the case up and they used an indexed filing system to go through these MASSIVE cabinets of archived CDs to find the correct one. So “old school” – which seems like such a judgmental thing to say? But it was cool. You don’t see a lot of stores using an organizational system like that anymore.

And then we caught the bus and were off to another mall!

Flavors: Moss, petrichor, Rainforest, Wet Earth

Steepster IS eating my reviews and cupboard stash!!!! I KNEW IT!!!! I know for a fact I’ve reviewed this before, I know for a fact it was in my cupboard. I know for a fact I rated it at 98. SO THERE, SANITY. You can remain firmly implanted in my brain.

I loved this tea when I first got it, and still love it. It’s a little tart, grassy, and bitter all at the same time on its own, exactly like guayusa should be. I like mixing it with an equally tart herbal tea for flavour, usually Pink Passionfruit (which I bought 250 g of online a while ago), which is one of my favourite mid-morning blends. Yum! Fruity, stimulating, and no caffeine crash a few hours later. Yum yum yum. So now that I have an empty tin of it, my drawer at work is feeling sad…no more guayusa. :( Simple solution: buy more!

Verdict: will buy more on my next trip into David’s, providing it’s still sold in-store.