Guayusa (organic)

Moss, petrichor, Rainforest, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Jungle fever

We are seriously passionate about guayusa around here, and we couldn’t be more excited to spread the word. Not only does it pack an incredible burst of energy, it’s also deliciously smooth, never bitter and lightly sweet. Plus it’s steeped in over 2000 years of Amazonian tradition and legend. To learn more about this wonder-herb, a bunch of the DAVIDsTEA staff went down to Ecuador to check out the guayusa farms, meet the workers and even harvest leaves for tea. Who knows – one of us might have even plucked this very batch.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Organic Guayusa from Ecuador.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I didn’t have a lot of this left — probably around one serving one way or the other, so I just decided to brew it all.

It’s got a pleasant roasted taste to it — somewhere between black tea and genmaicha. I think I might like it a bit more if it were a little sweeter, or actually, it would probably be amazing with a hint of mint. But overall, it’s not a bad cuppa at all. And especially if it’s going to deliver the caffeine it promises, then I’m definitely going to want to have more of this.

I wanted to try a “mate” style tea since I’ve never really tried them before. I know that technically Guayusa isn’t mate but same family/geographical area.

Tasted really nice. I really liked the flavour of it, grassy and natural. It was naturally sweet but not too sweet. The only problem that I’ve had with this is the sediment in it. It made for a weird mouth feel, like gritty style.

I will probably diversify and buy another mate variety next time to see if I like any others.

I tried Guayusa on a trip in Ecuador back in 2008. I loved it. The DT one seems to be completely different. I do not find it especially energizing, and the taste is bitter (tastes like dirt to me). I did not enjoy it, and won’t be trying it again.

mmm steeped hot right in my guayusa gourd and sipped through my new metal bombilla! great for energy and the taste is not to bad. I keep adding more hot water as I sip and it cools down.

Tastes good, but I got bored of my cup quickly. Gives a huge boost!