Guayusa (organic)

Earth, Grass, Vegetal, Wood, Moss, petrichor, Rainforest, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Jungle fever

We are seriously passionate about guayusa around here, and we couldn’t be more excited to spread the word. Not only does it pack an incredible burst of energy, it’s also deliciously smooth, never bitter and lightly sweet. Plus it’s steeped in over 2000 years of Amazonian tradition and legend. To learn more about this wonder-herb, a bunch of the DAVIDsTEA staff went down to Ecuador to check out the guayusa farms, meet the workers and even harvest leaves for tea. Who knows – one of us might have even plucked this very batch.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Organic Guayusa from Ecuador.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

1.5 tsp for 300mL water @ 85C, steeped seven minute, drunk bare.

Heavy body after a long steep, slightly creamy mouthfeel. Nothing creamy in the taste, which is vegetal, a birth earthy, and sweet. Slight bit of earth and smoke in the aftertaste. Serious stimulant lift. Like yerba mate, though — and unlike coffee — I find it does not interfere with sleep once the initial buzz wears off. A most pleasant hot drink.

I don’t have many opinions about this one on its own. It’s grassy and kind of boring-tasting, which is exactly what I need it to be. I mainly use this one for blending with different herbal teas on days when I need a caffeine boost but don’t think my stomach can handle coffee. Today is one of those days. I’m on my third cup already.

I give this one a high rating because it serves a great purpose for me. The taste on its own is nothing I’d get super excited about, but it serves as an excellent base for my tea experiments. It helps me get through bad days with a smile. It also lacks the strong aftertaste of the mate teas I used to drink under these circumstances, so it’s one I’ll definitely restock. Good stuff.

Flavors: Earth, Grass, Vegetal

5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

One highly caffeinated To Go bevarage at DT isn’t enough, apparently, so to contrast my latte w. Kristina I also grabbed one of these babies, iced, To Go before me headed out for the day.

It was pretty good; it tasted like petrichor (the smell of the earth after it rains); very earthy, very fresh, with some natural sweetness to it. Rainforest, through and through.

The whole reason Kristina was in town was to go to a Metal Concert (Arsis; and four other bands opening for them) with me, but at this point it was about 12:30PM and the doors to the show didn’t open until 7PM so we had a lot of time to kill. We ended up taking the longer, more leisurely walk to the bus terminals downtown while I sipped on this. Along the way we stopped at this older, vinyl record place. I’d never been before, but it was really cool. The whole store had this very welcoming, but dated atmosphere and the staff were pretty low key and casual. It was fun.

I didn’t get anything, but she got a (Metal) album. It was fascinating watching the staff members find the CD; she brought the case up and they used an indexed filing system to go through these MASSIVE cabinets of archived CDs to find the correct one. So “old school” – which seems like such a judgmental thing to say? But it was cool. You don’t see a lot of stores using an organizational system like that anymore.

And then we caught the bus and were off to another mall!

Flavors: Moss, petrichor, Rainforest, Wet Earth

Steepster IS eating my reviews and cupboard stash!!!! I KNEW IT!!!! I know for a fact I’ve reviewed this before, I know for a fact it was in my cupboard. I know for a fact I rated it at 98. SO THERE, SANITY. You can remain firmly implanted in my brain.

I loved this tea when I first got it, and still love it. It’s a little tart, grassy, and bitter all at the same time on its own, exactly like guayusa should be. I like mixing it with an equally tart herbal tea for flavour, usually Pink Passionfruit (which I bought 250 g of online a while ago), which is one of my favourite mid-morning blends. Yum! Fruity, stimulating, and no caffeine crash a few hours later. Yum yum yum. So now that I have an empty tin of it, my drawer at work is feeling sad…no more guayusa. :( Simple solution: buy more!

Verdict: will buy more on my next trip into David’s, providing it’s still sold in-store.

I didn’t have a lot of this left — probably around one serving one way or the other, so I just decided to brew it all.

It’s got a pleasant roasted taste to it — somewhere between black tea and genmaicha. I think I might like it a bit more if it were a little sweeter, or actually, it would probably be amazing with a hint of mint. But overall, it’s not a bad cuppa at all. And especially if it’s going to deliver the caffeine it promises, then I’m definitely going to want to have more of this.

I wanted to try a “mate” style tea since I’ve never really tried them before. I know that technically Guayusa isn’t mate but same family/geographical area.

Tasted really nice. I really liked the flavour of it, grassy and natural. It was naturally sweet but not too sweet. The only problem that I’ve had with this is the sediment in it. It made for a weird mouth feel, like gritty style.

I will probably diversify and buy another mate variety next time to see if I like any others.

I tried Guayusa on a trip in Ecuador back in 2008. I loved it. The DT one seems to be completely different. I do not find it especially energizing, and the taste is bitter (tastes like dirt to me). I did not enjoy it, and won’t be trying it again.

mmm steeped hot right in my guayusa gourd and sipped through my new metal bombilla! great for energy and the taste is not to bad. I keep adding more hot water as I sip and it cools down.

Tastes good, but I got bored of my cup quickly. Gives a huge boost!