Main Squeeze

Yerba maté Tea
Earth, Green Wood, Hay, Pineapple, Tropical, Fruity, Orange, Grass, Orange Zest, Mango
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Greet the day
We all know the classic morning ritual: a cup of coffee and a glass of orange juice. But what if you could get your energy boost and fresh-squeezed fruity taste all in one cup? We’re serious. Shake up your old routine with this fruity maté blend, and you may never go back. It’s got the juicy flavour of orange, papaya and pineapple, plus the high-energy punch of green yerba maté. Just one sip and you’ll feel alert, refreshed and ready for anything. Say hello to your new main squeeze.

Ingredients: Green yerba maté, papaya, pineapple, safflower.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is a great maté! Yummy! Reminds me of summer and tropical places :). Papaya is the main flavour I get with this tea.

First impression- Smells strongly like a freshly opened carton of orange juice. There are visible fruit chunks, flowers, and green mate leaves in the mixture.
Prepared- hot with 1/4 teaspoon of agave nectar. Brewed 5 minutes in 94 degree water in a David’s Perfect mug.
First sips- Tastes like a light, no pulp orange juice. Doesn’t quite have the ‘solidity’ of an orange juice, so it reminds me somewhat of a drink mix (but much more delicious and not so chemical-y). Strong fruit flavour masks the more bitter mate.
Very good, I would definitely try it again, and try it iced to replace a morning orange juice with a caffeinated version.

This is one of my favorite mates, and reminds me of morning because of its delicious orange juice aroma. You just take a whiff of this tea and the morning and its magic.

The taste is not for everyone. It can be very bitter (I don’t know if that is just because of how I steep it, but I like it either way) but still fruity. I would say I prefer it to Simply the Zest, but I think they are both on even footing to me. If I want something more refreshing than chocolate rocket in the morning I’ll have this.

Just spent the weekend at a retreat with my co-ed fraternity.. and came back to a big beautiful white box from DT!
This is the very first of the flavors I decided to try out, and I’m liking it. It’s got a natural sweetness to it that I’m fond of and it still has a very clean, juicy, fresh taste. I’m normally not a big fan of mate teas, but this one is good. However, I do think the mate is the only thing I’m on the fence about, since I can taste a grassiness that is slightly weird to me. I can work with it though, because the rest of the tea is delicious!

Tastes like Tang. But it is tea. Nice but not great because it tastes too much like those juice crystals.

Smell after steeping: still very orangey, but this time with a foundation of other. Considering I’ve never had mate before, that could be it.

More details next time.

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Had this iced and it’s pretty good. I brewed it hot and let it steep for a long time which caused the mate taste to come out a little stronger than I would have liked. My husband loved it, I thought it tasted a bit like a dirty orange rather than a nice, crisp orange flavor, but that’s probably my fault for oversteeping to ice.

I’ve had this in a cupboard (ok it’s really a giant overfilled drawer) for a while and I should’ve made it sooner! I thought it would have too much orange/citrus flavors but it doesn’t. I used the pitcher pack to make a nice big pitcher of tea and it’s really tasty. It has hints of pineapple and orange and just the right amount of tea bitterness.

I’m pretty excited to take advantage of David’s Tea summer $1 refills, though I hope there is more variety than two flavors. Today I tried the second flavor, Main Squeeze. (Made in store by David’s Tea professionals) it was a medium yellow/green when brewed, and had strong forward flavors of tropical fruits and pineapple. There is definitely a slight sour flavor or bitterness to the tea, though to be fair I take my tea without any sugar or honey. An earthy, almost hay-like tone underneath all the exciting fruit must come from the mate. It is a different hay-grass-like flavor than green tea, more earthy and musky than grassy greens. It’s definitely a minimal flavor (I’m nit-picking) but it was noticeable when trying back-to-back with something like David’s Tea mango flavors. I was glad for the high-caffeine in iced tea form, so thank you, mate! Overall this flavor is in the middle for me. It wasn’t mineral or heavy enough to satisfy my preferences for black teas with tannins and it wasn’t quite juicy or fruity enough to be a kick-ass herbal. Some fruit, some earth, and some caffeine. Not a bad $1 tea refill this summer, but I am still hoping they change them out to something new in July.

Flavors: Earth, Green Wood, Hay, Pineapple, Tropical

Welp, that was quite the transition from the vanilla orchid lol. I’ve never had a maté before (also just figured out how to type an accent aigu…this is an all around learning experience). This tea smell like orange Tang, both dry and steeped. This made me a bit apprehensive and I almost added sugar to begin with, but I’m glad I didn’t. I’m enjoying this much more than I thought I would! I don’t like orange juice (shhhh, don’t tell the other Floridians), although I do like eating oranges. This is a subtle enough orange flavor that it’s enjoyable and it’s also tempered a bit at the end by a sweeter general tropical fruitiness. That must be the pineapple and papaya, although I would not have been able to identify those flavors if I hadn’t read the ingredients. I bet this would be pretty good cold brewed too. All in all, I am enjoying this and definitely would not turn it down if offered but I am not sure I would buy it.

Thanks to Virginia for this sample! Left to my own devices, I probably wouldn’t have tried this tea and I would have missed out!

Flavors: Fruity, Orange