Main Squeeze

Fruit Yerba maté Blend
Candied Papaya, Green Yerba Mate, Natural Flavours, Pineapple, Safflower
Orange, Orange Zest, Citrus, Earth, Grass, Sweet, Fruity, Lemon Zest, Hay, Tropical, Green Wood, Pineapple, Mango
High
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

From DAVIDsTEA

Greet the day

We all know the classic morning ritual: a cup of coffee and a glass of orange juice. But what if you could get your energy boost and fresh-squeezed fruity taste all in one cup? We’re serious. Shake up your old routine with this fruity maté blend, and you may never go back. It’s got the juicy flavour of orange, papaya and pineapple, plus the high-energy punch of green yerba maté. Just one sip and you’ll feel alert, refreshed and ready for anything. Say hello to your new main squeeze.

Ingredients: Green yerba maté, papaya, pineapple, safflower.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is an alright mate that blends a grassy/earthy flavour from the yerba mate with citrus and orange zest accents. The pineapple and papaya notes are subtle, not overly prominent. Found this one a tad too sweet for my liking as a morning starter. Maybe it would be better as a late morning or early afternoon tea when you need a bit of a boost. For me, I find the sweetness a bit off-putting though.

Flavors: Citrus, Earth, Grass, Orange, Orange Zest, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

I remember going to school with this in my travel mug, and I will probably do the same this fall. It is a great pick-me-up and I like the idea of an energizing tea mixed with exotic fruit flavors. A good tea.

I had no idea this was maté-based! I met up with my mom at the mall today and just before we found each other, she said the sales associate caught her attention as she was walking past the store to let her know about how they’re giving away “a special gift” to all Frequent Steepers. She excitedly told me this when we found each other and encouraged me to come with her to find out what it is (it was a free sample of Peanut Butter Cup with any purchase, by the way).

When we got there, they had a huge icy jug of this so we sipped on this whilst looking at the sale items. Perhaps it was because I was slightly distracted by the shiny objects around me, but not once did it occur to me that this has maté in this. At the time, I also thought I tried this many moons ago but merely forgotten, but realized that it was Alley Kat’s Main Squeeze grapefruit ale that I had a few months ago. No grapefruit here, but rather lemon and lime.

No purchase for me but it was delightfully refreshing iced and I’m impessed that I didn’t taste the base, which normally rubs my taste buds the wrong way.

gmathis

This sounds tasty! I always associated mate’ with heavy flavors like chocolate, then tasted a mate/green tea blend that was out of this world. I’ve been mixing mate with some anonymous (very light, good quality Chinese) green tea for a really nice summer wake-up steep.

Fjellrev

Oh, that sounds like a great idea! I too usually associate it with chocolate, especially the roasted variety, but the green maté pairs so well with citrus. It’s kind of what I wanted Butiki’s Tangerine Creamsicle to be.

Green maté with orange flavour, good but nothing special.

This came as a sample in my most recent online purchase from DAVIDs. I steeped the full 5g sample in a mug of 175 degree F water for 5 min, then set the mug in the fridge overnight to cool. The result is a slightly fruity iced tea with a grassy undertone. Not bad, but I prefer my iced teas to be caffeine free and my mates to be plain + hot. Overall, nice to try, but I won’t be purchasing.

Flavors: Fruity, Grass

Iced 5 min, 0 sec 5 g

While it doesn’t hold a candle to my beloved, limited edition Honeydew Maté, this is one of my favorite “permanent” mate blends offered by DT. My other favorite permanent mate is Jungle Ju Ju. After sampling quite a few of DT’s mate teas, I’ve found that, for me, more robust/heavier mate blends are better served hot. Hot tea, however, is something I enjoy very sporadically. I just finished my 2-ounce bag I purchased while on vacation a few months ago. This will become a staple in my tea collection. The flavor profile reminds me of those tropical-flavored orange “juice” blends you find in the supermarket. It’s sweet but not overly so, and the fruity ingredients are grounded quite nicely by the green yerba mate.

Got a to-go cup of this at DAVID’s today. I have to admit, I surprised myself a little. I haven’t had much luck with mate in the past and I was leaning more towards something herbal. Still, I have been curious about this and the heavy lemon smell got to me.

The sip is primarily lemon zest. A slight grassy note as well and the aftertaste leans more towards orange than lemon. Even after the orange was a taste of something juicy and tropical. Papaya? Just for a fleeting second though. The caffeine buzz was pretty intense too. Felt properly awake for the first time all day as I tried to slog my way through my marketing text.

I didn’t love this enough to make we want to actually purchase some, but I wouldn’t have minded a second cup.

Flavors: Grass, Lemon Zest, Orange Zest

This was one of my DAVID’s samples. I’ve never had mate. I’m not exactly sure what I think of it. It’s not bitter or sour, so I should like it. But really, it tastes kind of like a wet field that was mowed and now the hay is molding. I can’t get around that. I guess I don’t like it. Clearly others do, though, so make your own decision. :)

OMGsrsly

I kinda feel that way about green mate as well. :)

Maddy Barone

I’m glad I’m not alone!

This tea tastes like hot spicy orange juice. It’s pretty tasty and sometimes just what I need during the day.

I don’t like this tea that much as it is. Not because it’s not good. But because I dislike the papaya that it contains. And you really can taste the papaya in it. So it’s a matter of my own personal taste and it has nothing to do with the tea’s taste and blend. I tried it hot and iced and I prefer it hot. What I really like about this tea is the little boost that it gives, especially in the morning. So I’ve bought an enormous quantity of this tea before I even had tasted it. And I hate to waste tea. What to do ? I made a big jug of it (cold brew method) and I’m mixing it with a quarter of unsweetened orange juice (12 ounces of tea with 4 ounces of orange juice). It’s surprisingly good! And it’s an interesting replacement for my traditional orange juice in the morning. UPDATE: I had the idea to cold brew it mixed with ‘’Sunny Citrus’’ (half and half) and it’s to die for. The hint of vanilla in ‘’Sunny Citrus’’ add a nice touch and the two mixed together makes the bitterness of the mate dissapear. It’s just fruity, sweet and very palatable.