Main Squeeze

Yerba maté Tea
Fruity, Hay, Tropical, Earth, Green Wood, Pineapple, Orange, Grass, Orange Zest, Mango
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Greet the day
We all know the classic morning ritual: a cup of coffee and a glass of orange juice. But what if you could get your energy boost and fresh-squeezed fruity taste all in one cup? We’re serious. Shake up your old routine with this fruity maté blend, and you may never go back. It’s got the juicy flavour of orange, papaya and pineapple, plus the high-energy punch of green yerba maté. Just one sip and you’ll feel alert, refreshed and ready for anything. Say hello to your new main squeeze.

Ingredients: Green yerba maté, papaya, pineapple, safflower.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m pretty excited to take advantage of David’s Tea summer $1 refills, though I hope there is more variety than two flavors. Today I tried the second flavor, Main Squeeze. (Made in store by David’s Tea professionals) it was a medium yellow/green when brewed, and had strong forward flavors of tropical fruits and pineapple. There is definitely a slight sour flavor or bitterness to the tea, though to be fair I take my tea without any sugar or honey. An earthy, almost hay-like tone underneath all the exciting fruit must come from the mate. It is a different hay-grass-like flavor than green tea, more earthy and musky than grassy greens. It’s definitely a minimal flavor (I’m nit-picking) but it was noticeable when trying back-to-back with something like David’s Tea mango flavors. I was glad for the high-caffeine in iced tea form, so thank you, mate! Overall this flavor is in the middle for me. It wasn’t mineral or heavy enough to satisfy my preferences for black teas with tannins and it wasn’t quite juicy or fruity enough to be a kick-ass herbal. Some fruit, some earth, and some caffeine. Not a bad $1 tea refill this summer, but I am still hoping they change them out to something new in July.

Flavors: Earth, Green Wood, Hay, Pineapple, Tropical

Welp, that was quite the transition from the vanilla orchid lol. I’ve never had a maté before (also just figured out how to type an accent aigu…this is an all around learning experience). This tea smell like orange Tang, both dry and steeped. This made me a bit apprehensive and I almost added sugar to begin with, but I’m glad I didn’t. I’m enjoying this much more than I thought I would! I don’t like orange juice (shhhh, don’t tell the other Floridians), although I do like eating oranges. This is a subtle enough orange flavor that it’s enjoyable and it’s also tempered a bit at the end by a sweeter general tropical fruitiness. That must be the pineapple and papaya, although I would not have been able to identify those flavors if I hadn’t read the ingredients. I bet this would be pretty good cold brewed too. All in all, I am enjoying this and definitely would not turn it down if offered but I am not sure I would buy it.

Thanks to Virginia for this sample! Left to my own devices, I probably wouldn’t have tried this tea and I would have missed out!

Flavors: Fruity, Orange

This one is from Janelle! thank you! I haven’t had a yerba mate lately, so here goes. I love that this has fruit in the blend, but the dry leaves kind of smell like that Davids tea with the gross walnuts. The flavor is better.. not like the walnuts, but then it has a taste that reminds me of the orange fluoride from elementary school. Not really fond memories of that flavor of orange! But it sweetens the yerba mate, which I like anyway. The second cup is stronger than the first. I like David’s Jungle Ju Ju better but after looking up the name, apparently that is guayusa and not yerba mate.
Steep #1 // 25 mins after boiling // 3-4 min
Steep #2 // 22 mins after boiling // 3-4 min

Not very pleasant. I found it very similar to Cold 911- but without the mint taste. I also didn’t detect much flavor.

Okay this one is good enough! The taste is lighter than I thought but I still liked it. It’s great for the morning.

Mmm…just what I needed to start my morning. Hints of orange and pineapple without being too overwhelming, and unlike orange juice has lots of caffeine :). For some reason I woke up extra groggy this morning, so hopefully the caffeine will kick in soon so I can get back to being good and productive (well, maybe).

Flavors: Grass, Orange Zest

Im not usually one for fruity teas, but oh lordy lord I love this one. It good hot, its good cold, I have even baked it in a cake. It tastes like orange juice! This tea is simple, and amazing. Enough said.

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Gonna have to play around with this on.. Didn’t love it…

This was in the 2013 advent calendar, and one of the first mate’s I’ve had in quite some time. This smells strongly of pineapple and citrus when it’s first opened and has hints of a glass of orange juice.

Brewed, it has a mild citrus flavor that’s slightly tropical… it tastes very orangey for not having any orange in it! I was impressed at how well the citrus counteracted the mate’s bitterness — it hardly tasted bitter at all. Main Squeeze quite refreshing and it made for a great pick-me-up on a day when I hadn’t had enough sleep. I’ll definitely try this again — this seems like one that’ll be great on ice.

I shouldn’t have tried this tea. While it smells and tastes like a nice fruity green tea, I feel agitated after having had it. It is described as a “stimulant” but until I tried it, I didn’t realize it would have this effect. If you aren’t supposed to be having caffeine, I don’t think this tea would be good for you either.