Toasted Marshmallow

Allspice, Black Tea, Brittle, Cinnamon, Kukicha, Marshmallow, Natural Flavours
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Second attempt at this one. Still tastes to me like a creamy, chai-ish tea. A little less spicy today and a bit more marshmallow-creamy, but toasted marshmallow it is not. I would really love to...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2246 tasting notes
  • “So, I was supposed to go with my friend on a DT date. I was waiting for that to go and get the fall teas. But, with all the reviews up on here, I couldn't wait any longer. I finally got my fall...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 812 tasting notes
  • “I can see that there are marshmallows in this, but the taste just doesn’t say marshmallows to me. I suspect the medium-light cinnamon spice taste overpowers the marshmallows a tad too much for me...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “I'm going to rip right into this one, just like how the allspice rips right into the mingling sweetness of the dry leaf. It's allspice, all the way. The cinnamon is a little shy here. Not surprised...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 773 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Toast master
Everyone loves a camping trip in the fall. Fresh air, beautiful scenery, hungry bears – ah, the great outdoors. Well, okay, we’ll admit it. We’re only in it for the marshmallows. Nothing beats a freshly toasted marshmallow straight from the campfire. But what if you want to satisfy your sweet tooth without going camping? Try this tea. It’s a sweet, toasty black tea blend with cinnamon, brittle and…you guessed it! Mini marshmallows. Now you can enjoy your favourite outdoorsy treat without a hungry bear in sight.

Ingredients: Black tea, marshmallows, brittle pieces, cinnamon, allspice, kukicha green tea.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

You know how sometimes you just KNOW you are going to like a tea. It’s toasted marshmallow? How can it be anything but delicious. I love toasted marshmallows. I may or may not have been seen toasting marshmallows over my stove coils, I love them that much. I was so prepared to love this tea.

And then I tasted it. It was not bad. But I forgot that when something has marshmallow in the name, and has mini marshmallows in the dry mix, it is going to be the dreaded “s” word—sweet. I just am not down with sweet in my tea. I despise sweet tea with a passion. Chai, I will grudgingly admit, is robust enough to stand up to a little sweetness. But otherwise, sweeteners can stay away from my tea, thankyouverymuch.

I have to admit, it wasn’t bad, so much as just not tea-like for me. I’m not going to get rid of it, I didn’t dislike it as much as I expected to when I realized it was sweetened (there was a vague moment of confusion when I looked at my Breville and noticed the tea was opaque, which led to that “uh oh” moment). I think if I were more used to sweetener in my tea, I would have really liked it, instead of finding it “not bad”.

Prepared with 750 ml of water with 3 t of dry mix in my Breville.

CupofTree

I feel the same way about this one. I was really disappointed in the taste and thought it was going to be completely different. it tastes like apples to me. nothing marshmallow about it. :( gotta try again.

Backlog from yesterday morning.

Steep notes: 1.5 tsp. leaf, 8 oz. water, no additives.

I think I agree with others who said this isn’t really what is thought of when imagining toasted marshmallow. Maybe I was envisioning more like s’mores? Because what I get – a lightly spiced black tea with some added creaminess due to those mini marshmallows- is good and all, but it’s not…accurate. And the marshmallow isn’t reflected in the taste so much as the texture. A spiced, creamy tea – with hints of marshmallow every once in a while, when I stop paying so much attention to it.

Not bad, just not quite what I wanted.

First time i opened my bag i could not resist eating some of the little white goodness hoping the tea will taste the same and it does!

That one really good i love how the marshmallow dissolve to give a good sweetness to the black tea maybe even a little to sweet for me as i don’t put sugar in anything but as a dessert tea it’s perfect.

The only problem i could see ( and that probably just me lol) is since the marshmallow dissolve re steeping not gonna taste the same like many other tea with powder or ingredient like that but i love marshmallow too much i hope that one will become permanent or i have to make reserve

Helena

Wonka should’ve made an everlasting marshmallow instead of the everlasting gobstopper :D (I do like the gobstoppers though)

Zoltar

haha that would be so cool someone really need to make a everlasting marshmallow or some marshmallow tasting gum could work. I do love gobstoppers too :P they should make a tea with gobstopper powder in it could be real good

Azzrian

LOL Helena!

Mmm. This is nice and sweet, and warm and… toasty?

I’m still sick, but my throat is much improved, and over the past two days I have watched an episode of Sherlock, 1.5 episodes of Doctor Who and half a season of Game of Thrones. Add in a few hours of Guild Wars, a quarter of Northanger Abbey and being able to drink again,and I’m doing pretty good.

Mostly. This baby has been making it extra hard relax lately.

Anyway I was excited to drink tons of tea but didn’t want to drink something I couldn’t appreciate. I’m happy I chose this. It’s comforting, relaxing and good for a treat. I’d probably grab 10g of this next year.

OK so this tea dues not remind me of camping outside… Ide like a little gram cracker in there or Less allspice.. This was a very good tea just not of camping lol, When i first opened the package I thought of Christmas, my husband did like the smell though do to fighting colds we are not sharing drinks right now… Maybe tonight he will be interested in a cup of this what i feel like is a Holiday tea :)

KeenTeaThyme

You need to try my Toasted Marshmallow blend! :)

tigress_al

Yep, it tastes more like eggnog than marshmallows.

This one was interesting and I didn’t hate it, but I just haven’t been won over. I think I have an issue with some particular variety of cinnamon, found in this and in a lot of 52Teas teas. It just leaves a weird feeling in my throat and doesn’t appeal to me the way cinnamon usually does. Anyway, the tea is earthy, and it’s sweet at the same time. It wins points for being an interesting combination, and because I like the idea of it.

Is it just me, or does tea taste better out of a thermos? I brought this with me to the ROM today (free for students on Tuesdays!) and it seemed way nicer than when I tried it the first time, in a mug. I still didn’t get much marshmallow taste from it though. It actually seems very similar to Glitter and Gold to me, but sweeter, and with a little more creaminess. Well I like it anyway, even if it’s not super amazing. And I’m so happy that it’s finally cold enough to carry hot tea around again!

Kittenna

YES, tea definitely tastes better not out of a thermos. Every time, I notice this. I just deal with it… I don’t know if it’s a case of sitting longer, or staying hotter longer, but yeah. Definitely agree!

Shmiracles

yay an excuse to buy myself that cute thermos i want!

Preparation: Without tiny marshmallows.
With added stevia and vegan creamer.

YUMMY. It does taste like marshmallows a little, only with added smokiness and allspice. It reminds me vaguely of eggnog, or even of pumpkin pie. It’s kind of creamy, spicy, and comforting. The kukicha helps balance the earthiness a little. Who would’ve thought?

After a few sips it’s clear that this one is for cold days.

I have a real love-hate relationship with these mini Hama beads, I feel like I am making no progress what so ever with sorting them and it is frustrating me. But I can’t hate them because they are so pretty, lovely vibrant colors mixed with a tiny size makes me happy, I just wish they would sort themselves because I want to start using them! I also have a real love-hate relationship with tea companies that have seasonal teas that go away and do not necessarily come back. It seems I have found a few of those that I end up loving and have no way of getting my greedy hands on ‘the precious’ again and I am left longing for them. It is one of these teas that I am reviewing today!

Toasted Marshmallow by DAVIDsTEA was sent to me (along with some other yummy spiced teas) from one of my Steepster friends, sadly when I went to their website I realized that it is a seasonal tea, and I had missed the season. Tragic! The tea is a blend of Black Tea, Marshmallows, Cinnamon, Allspice, Brittle Pieces, and Kukicha Green Tea, I am impressed with the use of whole Allspice berries, I have not seen that in a tea before. The aroma is very sweet and spicy with notes of marshmallow, toffee, malt, and cinnamon. There is also a strong note of spiced rum, allspice almost always reminds me of spiced rum. It has more of a mulling spice than a roasting marshmallow aroma, and even though it doesn’t match the name the aroma is quite pleasant.

Once steeped the aroma of allspice fills the room, the leaves loose some of their sugary sweetness and are mostly spiced, specifically rum tinged allspice. It is very rich with a hint of malt and smells extremely smooth and welcoming. The liquid brings back the marshmallow and has notes of spice as well, much sweeter and rich with a strong allspice finish.

The taste is sweet and malty, it is like someone already added cream to my tea. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth and velvety with a slightly sharp finish, but it leaves a slightly waxy feel in the mouth which is not as unpleasant as that sounds. For all that the aroma of allspice and cinnamon are fairly strong, in the cup they are quite perfectly balanced, just enough to let you know you are drinking a spiced tea without being overpowering. I found that letting this tea steep a long time improved it (usually I can’t say that about black teas) I first steeped it for 4 minutes and found that the spices and sweetness were present but the tea taste was not. Letting the tea steep for 6 and a half minutes brought out the malty qualities and made the tea a bit more brisk. Upon tasting I can say that the name doesn’t really match the taste, but that didn’t lessen my enjoyment, I will definitely procure more if it returns!

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/01/davidstea-toasted-marshmallow-tea-review.html

Fall is here and I have been craving smores like crazy. This tea definitely hit the spot. It was super sweet and definitely brought my favorite fireside treat mind.