Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait

Fruit Herbal Blend
Apple, Beet Root, Carrot, Hibiscus, Raisins, Strawberry
Cream, Creamy, Hibiscus, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Sweet, Tart, Yogurt, Tangy, Berries, Jam, Vanilla
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by EvaGrimm

• “I used to love this stuff when I first started on Steepster almost a year ago. Now I think it’s just o.k., nothing special. There are way better caffeine free options out there. This one is just...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 352 tasting notes
  • “First cold brew in my Mason Jar mug. It was so easy to just pull out the infuser when the tea was ready. I honestly love this teaware. As for the tea, nothing new to report. It is rhubarb tart...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2087 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so I was pretty skeptical of this tea. Mostly because bleh, hibiscus. But hey, it's supposed to be Strawberry *Rhubarb*, so the tartness should be appropriate, and I like teas with the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2609 tasting notes
  • “Wow. This tea totally took me by surprise and bowled me over! I'm getting sweet sugary strawberry, a bunch of tart rhubarb and buttery crumbly crust goodness. It smells and tastes exactly...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 505 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Picture parfait
The ancient Chinese used it in medicine. The medieval Europeans traded for it along the Silk Road. And today we love it in pies, sauces, muffins or just plain, dipped in a little sugar. But the best way to eat rhubarb is with sweet, ripe strawberries. Like in this refreshingly fruity, deep red tisane. It tastes as bright and juicy as a fresh-picked berry, with a tart rhubarb punch and a subtle hint of yogurt creaminess. We love it hot or iced, or as the base for sweet, zippy sangria. Now that’s a beautiful thing. Caffeine-free.

Ingredients: Apple, hibiscus, raisins, carrot, yogurt bits, beetroot, strawberry, rhubarb, artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Oh happy day, my David’s steeper just arrived! I’m replacing an on older model from Teavana; it really held up remarkably well, but it had the terrible design flaw of a non-removable filter, and eventually it just got caked up. Teavana must have realized this happens, because their new model does come with a removable filter.

Anyway, I couldn’t wait to try it out, so I steeped up one of the teas that came with the order, this herbal Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait.

It’s a brilliant rosy red (looks beautiful in the crystal-clean steeper) and smells like strawberry candy. But while I DO get the strawberry, the rhubarb, and the yogurt flavor, this is, emphatically, hibiscus tea. Not bad, but nothing special. I far prefer David’s goji pop; it too has hibiscus, but there it’s one voice among many, it doesn’t shout out everything else.

Oh well, it’s drinkable and I have to have something herbal to keep me from going caffeine-crazy on all these unflavored teas I’ve got.

Tamarindel

Actually I’m getting more strawberry as it cools. This might be a great candidate for iced tea.

caile

I like it iced. :)

Tamarindel

Yes? Okay I will definitely try it that way then.

So when I was at Robyn’s helping her get set up I ended up raiding her roommate’s tea cupboard (after making sure it was ok first, of course). They only have DAVIDsTEA blends (and all in 100g tins or even a few 250g ones) but there were a couple blends in there that I hadn’t tried yet, like this one, so I made myself a cup of it to drink while we watched the two Hobbit movies (which was like seven hours and non-stop gay jokes) and ate pizza. I’m not sure why I’d yet to try this one; it smells really good and I believe VariaTEA is or was a fan, but somehow I’ve never gone for this one.

Taste wise, it was really weird and I can’t decide if it was good weird or bad weird. It was pretty artificial/candy like, but not offensively so or cloying. In fact, some sips seemed to really capture a “Gummy Candy” kind of taste. It took a while to place it, but it was like those Gummy fangs/dentures five cent candy that vaguely tasted like Strawberry. And speaking of the strawberry, it definitely far out weighed the rhubarb but both were present despite that.

I didn’t see any yogurt drops in the leaf I portioned, but I must have got some though because there was a creamyness and some vanilla flavour to this that didn’t quite mesh with what else was going on. It was like those two components were competing instead of harmoniously coming together. And then there was a third(ish) thing going on, and I felt like it was the taste of granola? But it totally wasn’t. Still there was a starchyness to this that reminded me of granola/oatmeal crumble on the top of a parfait. It, too, felt disjointed with everything else going on.

So conclusion; this was so very weird. I guess I could see how or why it’d appeal to some tea drinkers, and I’d be up for trying a cold version of it but otherwise I feel like I don’t have an interest in having it again otherwise.

Had a pitcher pack from DT for this so I made a pitcher of iced tea. Very real strawberry taste. I didn’t add any additional sweetener.

Very nice iced tea. Slightly sweet, more strawberry than rhubarb flavor, but you can taste the rhubarb. Sweetening it brings out the flavor a bit more, but I tend to prefer it unsweetened.

Tart strawberry dessert tea makes me want to add milk. Milk will curdle if hibiscus is in it. My son and i did a small experiment: we cold brewed one and iced one, the milk added to the cold brew did not curdle and the one brewed hot and iced did. There is still the possibility that one had more hibiscus than the other and could effect the curdling.

Tart sweet strawberries and creamy yogurt bits, My son thinks we should get more but I’m not sure because any time I give a choice he never chooses this one.

This tea was on my to-buy list every time I went to DavidsTea but I always backed out last minute because I was never sure I would like it. I hate hate hate hibiscus, and the thought of drinking a tart tea (despite my love for strawberry) would surely prevent me from enjoying this tea.

Yeah, I was wrong. There are some teas that from the very first sip, you get that pleasurable tingling all down your spine because it’s THAT good. You all know the feeling, right? I’m not crazy? Okay.

It’s all strawberry and rhubarb goodness with a creamy finish. A re-steep of the leaves is not so bad, either. Would definitely recommend to those who like strawberry yogurt!

Flavors: Cream, Strawberry, Tart

This tea made me so angry because I really wanted to like it. It smelled delicious but unfortunately the hibiscus took over. I do not think the rhubarb really helped either because the after-taste is so darn tart. Ugh, I really don’t like tangy tea. Sorry. The smell is so creamy though, and I may actually go on a mission to find a strawberries and cream tea. That actually sounds good!

Flavors: Hibiscus, Rhubarb, Strawberry

My new favourite tea… by a long-shot.

I can’t get over how well the sweetness of the strawberry and creaminess of the yogurt blends with the tanginess/tartness of the rhubarb. Sooooooo yummmmmy!

It tastes absolutely wonderful hot or iced. I can’t decide which way I like better!!

EDIT: After having this tea for a while, I’ve come to the conclusion that I really don’t like it as much as I thought. I still love it iced, however I think I’m starting to detest it hot. I took one sip of it today and dumped the whole cup down the drain. I just can’t take the hot water and extreme tart mix anymore. Is it still a good tea? Yes. Worth a 100 rating? No, not in my eyes (at least not anymore.) Also my taste in tea is changing. I think the fact that this is a herbal throws me off a bit… I like to know that I’m actually drinking some type of REAL tea leaves.

Oh well, I’d still absolutely recommend it iced to anyone! But I’ve changed the rating from 100 to 80. No longer a favourite of mine. :/

Flavors: Creamy, Strawberry, Sweet, Tangy, Tart

This wasn’t like other strawberry teas I’ve tried. Often the strawberry flavor is too much, but this tea tastes creamier. It’s kinda nice actually. If you’re a big strawberry fan, this is the tea to buy! Too many other strawberry teas are overwhelming, but this one is just right (:

Here I am again. I’m sorry I haven’t updated, but I also haven’t been drinking much in the way of tea, although that’s a lie because I have been drinking iced tea. No excuses.

Actually, I’m just hear to say that this tea is terrible iced. It tastes like strawberry yogurt milky water, and I never want to be made to feel I’m drinking watery yogurt. It’s ok though, because this used up my entire sample, so onwards and upwards, I guess. I’m going to be tossing what’s left in the pticher (which is pretty much all of it actually), but ’aint nobody got time for bad tea, I say.

carry on, folks. Let this week end.

Cheri

You can’t know until you try it…or someone else tries it first!

Courtney

I agree about bad tea. My friend drinks everything and says she just can’t throw away bad stuff. Thank goodness we do not have that problem. Life is too short!

keychange

Oh god I know. I keep reading about people who choke down awful sip down after awful sip down and I’m like waaaaahhh why are you doing this to yourself?!?!?!

lolainred

just thinking about what that had to taste like makes me a bit queasy!

Angrboda

I agree about bad tea. Why force yourself to drink something you don’t like? If it was a pizza with something on it that you discovered you didn’t like, you’d pick that off too instead of forcing yourself to eat it, wouldn’t you? I don’t understand what the difference is. Out with it, either to the bin or to someone else.

keychange

Yes I totally agree. And people may think it’s wasteful, but I also think needlessly assaulting my tastebuds is wasting tastebud wattage on bad choices. Bad idea!

Angrboda

The wasteful argument doesn’t really fly with me. It’s also wasteful to force something down you don’t enjoy rather than give it to someone else who might enjoy it. And whether you toss it or struggle through it, the leaf is equally gone.

(deleted for editing and reposted)

DeliriumsFrogs

Euck… watery yogurt drink. I’m glad you tossed that pitcher out.
(and yes… let this week end!)

Cheri

“tastebud wattage” Hahahahah!!! I love it!

keychange

hahaha! yes, let this week be gone gone gone! also, ang, great argument about the leaves being equally gone.

mj

I was considering trying to cold brew the rest of my sample. Thanks to you, I’ll pass! Yogurt water…blech

keychange

mj1851, I honestly don’t know how anyone could enjoy this one, but I suppose you just never know. It absolutely tastes like strawberry yogurt water, though. Maybe it’s better hot? or maybe you’ll cold brew it and fall in love LOL.

Terri HarpLady

I’m down with all of the above, especially the ‘no time for bad tea’ comment! That made me smile! With as much tea as most of us have in our cupboards, why let something undesirable take up residency? I think that’s really one of my favorite things about samples & tea trades, that we get to try something & ask, “Do I really need to buy this?”
Usually for me the answer is no, although occasionally I find something hoardworthy, LOL.

Cheri

I feel the same way, Terri HarpLady. I have found a couple that I’ve gone out to buy, but mostly I just enjoy trying the things in the boxes and whatnot and just go from there. (Then again, I’m about to place a huge Butiki order as soon as I hear back from Stacy, and there have been a couple of others lately that I am enjoying and I want more of.)

OMGsrsly

It works better made hot and iced, IMO. But I’ve only had it in-store.

Dexter

I agree OMG – I just make it hot and let it cool – put it in the fridge. I think you need the hot water to “melt” the yogurt bits.

keychange

I did make it hot and then added ice…ah well, can’t please ’em all, I guess.

OMGsrsly

Now I want to try it again to see if I get the yogurt-water taste! :)