Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Artificial, Cake, Tannic, White Chocolate, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Chocolate, Creamy, Milk, Toffee, Cream, Maple, Sweet, Vanilla, Frosting, Butter, Sugar, Tea
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don’t even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there’s something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1417 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess… this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing… yum, I was right. The...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3065 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I’m just having an...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1774 tasting notes
  • “Well. Keep this in your cupboard for too long and it turns quite disappointing. Too thin and watery (even when following parameters. Even when you add milk) and there’s a really cloying...” Read full tasting note
    joonsusanna 863 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I received this tea as a gift from my cousin about three years ago. At the the time I really didn’t like any tea besides Lipton green tea and it sat on the shelf up until about a month ago. The first time I brewed a cup of it I nearly gagged. It was watery and had an oily film on the top and vaguely tasted of old chocolate (which admittedly, the chocolate is quite old since I left it so long). I tried it again today and was pleasantly surprised. I brewed it a little longer this time and added a bit more tea.

Overall it was quite pleasant, but because the tea is so old (I don’t recommend leaving tea in a cupboard for three years) it has definitely lost some of its flavour. I think once the rest of it is gone I’ll get some more to give it another go.

I love this tea. It’s sweet, satisfying, and cakey tasting but not too cakey. It is still distinctly a black tea. There’s kind of a pleasant vegetable note on the palate that comes from the beetroot. You can overdo it though, I had 4 cups at once one time and got very sick of it and couldn’t touch it for a few months. That’s ok though… we’re back on good terms and I happily partake in it from time to time. It’s nice on a winter morning. Give the leaves a little stir while they are steeping to make sure the white chocolate bits dissolve.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cream, Maple, Sweet, Tannic

Happy New Year everyone! I am ringing in the new year with me, myself and a pot of tea. 2015 overall wasn’t a bad year, in fact, it was probably the best year I have had in quite awhile. I don’t want to jinx it for 2016 though, I have a lot of hope in terms of business (my freelance work and maybe something tea related too) and school (always aiming to get better grades, going back to school in 2014 was exciting but immediately I realized I had forgotten how to learn and so began a very long process of figuring out the best ways for me to interpret and absorb material). I don’t have anything planned related to travelling, I know a few years ago I had hoped I would be on my way to Africaburn in 2016, or at least returning to Burning Man, but I am not ready for that yet.

This tea…is very sweet. It smells like a lovely vanilla cake with caramel hints. It tastes about the same, but does have a bit of a darker taste to it. Overall I enjoy it enough to keep it in the stash at all times.

Flavors: Cake, Caramel, Vanilla

More like buttercream icing chocolate pound cake than red velvet, but that’s ok with me. Sweet, chocolate-y, vannilla-licious. It does a good job bringing cake to mind, just not the intended variety. I liked it a lot, but the sprinkles do leave an unappealing red waxy goo around the top of the cup, which I wiped off with a paper towel prior to tea consumption.

Flavors: Cake, Chocolate, Vanilla, White Chocolate

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Tea recommended for this book is Red Velvet Cake Tea by David’s Tea for it’s alluring tea notes, and both it’s complexity and simplicity. This tea will have you love it in allowing you to sit back and ponder a thing or two about this world.

Because of this, I recommend the book

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

This book seems to draw the love it or hate it crowd. People were either praising it heavily with all the worship of a reader that can give to an author or they were racing through it to finish, or not finishing it at all.

I am of the lovers of Murakami. I am already biased and into his style of writing before reading anything of his. I will always be a loyal reader and love his words. I cannot recommend him enough. If you are a fan, I will advise to start reading. If you are not a fan, take Murakami a little at a time. 1Q84 in English was printed as 1 book, while in Japan, it was in 3 books. Keep that in mind! I thought I would never finish but I did in which the red velvet cake is lovely for keeping me company through all the pages.

I’m not in love with this one, it’s too sweet in a way it taste almost moldy… I don’t really know how to describe it.

Sweet,

Flavors: Cake, Caramel, Chocolate, Sweet

I find that with non-dairy milk this tea really does taste cake-like. It’s not as chocolaty as I’d like, but it is quite sweet. I enjoy it as a latte (both hot and iced). While this doesn’t quite make my list of go-to flavored black teas from DT, I do enjoy it on occasion. I find that the black tea base is a bit too weak for many of DT’s flavored black teas. It’s one that I’ll likely repurchase to have on hand when I’m craving cake, but it’s not one that I’d reach for when I need a caffeine boost.

Flavors: Cake, Chocolate

I don’t understand why some people like it so much? I didn’t see something special in this, really.

I am not a huge fan of red velvet cake to begin with, but I was really interested to see what David’s cake teas tasted like. This one is pretty good – it’s definitely chocolatey, and definitely red velvety – they got the flavour pretty bang on, and it’s a rich tea. It seems to get more chocolatey with every sip. The flavour is bold, the aroma pretty much smells like what you get. I was really on the fence at the beginning – the beetroot kind of weirded me out – but it’s actually quite nice, and I can always appreciate a full-bodied flavour. I can’t stand watery teas that don’t pack a punch.

I’m planning on this being one of the teas I bring to work to stave off snacking on sugary crap, as I am slowly eliminating as much sugar as I can from my diet. I’d rather have a tea with 1g of sugar in it than a two-bite brownie with 14g of sugar in it!!! And since I haven’t been eating sugary stuff lately, the sugary teas from David’s seem even more dessert-like.