Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Chocolate, Sugar, Tea, Sweet, Caramel, Cream, Butter, Vanilla, Cake, Maple
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don't even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there's something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff that draws me...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 850 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess... this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing... yum, I was right. The...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2515 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I'm just having an off day....” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Latte style while catching up on some TV. The more I have this the less impressed I am. It gets a skin on top (maybe this is also from the milk, but still - ew), and it just doesn't give me...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 812 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Been drinking bagged tea for years, but turned to loose leaf lately, mostly being a sucker for David’s Tea cute tea cups and accessories — I’m weak!!

So, in wanting to try a large sampling of teas without shelling out for 50g bags, I bought the Easter Tea Hunt sampler pack from the web specials section — score!!

Finally got around to trying Red Velvet Cake, but not sure how to describe the flavour of this tea. I was expecting it to taste like a warm inviting chocolate pillow of deliciousness, but it was more of a muted muddy concoction…and I was really turned off by the greasy red-coloured ring at top of my cup. Definitely not a favourite…

So, the first time I tried this it was a few months ago. It was a sample for one cup that Virginia gave me. Didn’t like it much then, but wanted to give it another shot.
So my thanks goes to Marzipan for this one!!
This one smells pretty much EXACTLY like Della Terra Teas’ Birthday Cupcake! So that made me even more eager.
And when I began drinking it it tasted a lot like Birthday Cupcake…until the chocolate flavor hit. I don’t know why…but I really don’t like the chocolate flavor in this tea. It was sweet and rich; almost the perfect dessert tea.
But then the chocolate flavor began taking over. I have no idea why I don’t like it. I usually like chocolate flavored teas…but I don’t know. Just doesn’t work for me this time I guess. Oh well. Glad to confirm my feelings of this tea!
Thank again, Marzipan! :D

Flavors: Chocolate, Sweet

Total points for presentation for this tea. Red and white sprinkles! Milk and white chocolate chips! So pretty! It brews up a pretty reddish-brown color. The taste, though, falls a little flat. I’ve been finding that I prefer a lot of the David’s Teas I’ve been trying without adding anything (which is unusual for me), so I tried it first without sweetener. It tasted like vaguely creamy black tea. So, I added some sweetener and that did wake up the flavors quite a bit! Then I added some frothed milk which was a nice addition. Now the taste has a white chocolate start with a milk chocolate finish. It’s actually quite good and if they had called this tea something like chocolate decadence, it would have been spot on. But when I think of red velvet cake, the essential part is the cream cheese icing. AMIRIGHT?? I was hoping for that element and ended up a bit disappointed because it wasn’t present. This tea is still a super tasty dessert tea, just a little simple. Plus I prefer dark chocolate. Thanks Virginia for setting some of this aside for me amid the red velvet frenzy!

Flavors: Chocolate

Suziqzer

Yes.. Cream Cheese icing! Yummy stuff! Plus the chocolate… yummy combo. Too bad this tea was cute but didn’t live up to the flavor expectations :/

Virginia

I totally agree with you on this one. Although I do enjoy it once in a while, I’ve stopped expecting red velvet from it. It just ain’t gonna happen.

My baby girl has been crying and crying and screaming when I put her to bed these days. It is very stressful and it wears me down. I usually don’t drink black tea in the evening, but I’ve had it rough and this is cake flavoured, and it’s not like I ever go to bed before 2-3 o clock anyways so WHATEVER I’M DOING IT. I’m a rebel. An anarchist.

So I measure it out and dump it in my cup while the water’s boiling. Wait WHAT?! Virginia, this is not instant coffee, what are you doing? I stick my fingers at the bottom of the mug and push the tea down into my steeper. The aroma of the dry leaf reminds me of the Oh Canada and Birthday Cake rooibos, in the sense that it has the same sort of sweet smokiness. No red velvet cake here. I really hope this doesn’t taste like those other ones because that would just make me sad.

Steeped it for 5 minutes in 96 degree water. The liquor is beautiful and dark, and the scent is cake-y but not in an unpleasant way. Ok, here goes, look at me, breaking the rules: first sip.

I like it. No wait, this may be love.

When I sip it, I get mostly black tea, nothing to write home about, but good. But THEN, when I exhale, all the sweet delicious cake flavour hits my tongue, like I’ve been baking a cake in my lungs. This is gooood. No dessert rooibos disaster here. This is wonderful.

Smells good in the bag. Steeped it seems a little weak. Adding sugar helps. I can pick out a creaminess, some chocolate… it’s okay, but I might pass on this bag to someone else. What I don’t like is the ring of red around my mug from the sprinkles. I know it is kind of novel to have flashy color in your tea, but I’m a bit of a party pooper and would prefer to not have artificial colors in my tea.

From TTTTB: Not sure how I feel about this one. I feel like I may have under-leafed it. Hmm, splenda brings out a little more of the flavor. I don’t really understand the (often men’s) fascination with red velvet. Give me chocolate! With frosting, lots of it. Maybe that’s what I feel is lacking. A cream-cheesy flavor to accompany the red velvet portion. I was excited when I saw this in the (my first ever) traveling tea box. I recently have gotten a good friend of mine hooked on tea and red velvet is what she always requests when I offer to make goodies. I was thinking of ordering this for her, maybe after we get through our recent David’sTea order.

I seem to do a lot of premeditated impulse buying. At first that doesn’t seem like it makes sense, but let me put it in context for you. I knew I was going to put in an order with David’s (that darn teal mason jar drew me in!) and I knew I wanted free shipping. So all that was left was to fill my cart with goodies until I hit that mark. I certainly added ones I had “on my list” but then I was all “ooh this one sounds yummy!!” *click. Oopsie.

So far so good, and no buyers remorse. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Especially surprised because I don’t really care for red velvet. I’ve been making it every year for the past nine years for my husband for his birthday since we’ve been together. He goes crazy for it. So I had him in mind when I bought this, hoping to break him of his “Arizona sweet tea only” tea drinking habits. I tried it though and it was actually cakey. I really liked that. I could barely keep my eyes open though sipping it, and I’m having a rough time typing here )thank goodness for autocorrect! Lol

TTTTB 1/7

I’m so glad I got a chance to try this tea. I have been curious about this one for awhile. It tasted very similar to birthday cake but flatter and with black tea. I almost always prefer black tea over others so I’m surprised how much I prefer birthday cake over this.

VariaTEA

Initially I liked both but overtime I found this one too oily. As for Birthday Cake, I lost interest for a while but now that I have tried it cold brewed, there is no going back.

Day 6 of my Easter Advent calendar!

Can’t believe I didn’t add a tasting note from when I bought a bag of this. Whoops!

This is a tea I always get excited about drinking, make it, love the smell of it, love the taste of it for the first few sips, then it’s just SO SWEET that I can’t finish the cup. It tastes like artificial cake (because: flavouring), has the oily layer on top of the cup from the chocolate chips (which I’m not totally against…works like lip gloss), and that OHMYGODIJUSTHADACUPOFSUGAR from the sprinkles. I don’t understand the point of the white sprinkles, and the red ones impart their lovely artificial colour to turn the tea pinkish (did you know that red velvet cake shouldn’t ever have red food colouring in it? It turns “red” because of a chemical reaction between the fine cocoa powder and the vinegar added to the cake base. Now you know). It doesn’t matter how long I steep this tea, I always get that raunchy after taste from steeping black tea leaves too long. Boo.

Verdict: I want to love this tea because I love red velvet cake, but nope. Just can’t do it.

I was sceptical but this is a really delicious treat. You can really taste the creamy chocolate flavour. A nice tea to have in the afternoon. My main complaint is that the white chocolate chips leave a lot of scum in my clear glass teapot. Why do I have a clear glass teapot anyway… it was a gift and it looks cool and it makes a lot of tea so it’s good for serving to friends. And anyway, I wouldn’t want to have to share this tea, so I’m happy to just make a single big cup just for me ;-)