Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Cake, Chocolate, Butter, Maple, Sugar, Tea, Sweet, Caramel, Cream, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

From TTTTB: Not sure how I feel about this one. I feel like I may have under-leafed it. Hmm, splenda brings out a little more of the flavor. I don’t really understand the (often men’s) fascination with red velvet. Give me chocolate! With frosting, lots of it. Maybe that’s what I feel is lacking. A cream-cheesy flavor to accompany the red velvet portion. I was excited when I saw this in the (my first ever) traveling tea box. I recently have gotten a good friend of mine hooked on tea and red velvet is what she always requests when I offer to make goodies. I was thinking of ordering this for her, maybe after we get through our recent David’sTea order.

I seem to do a lot of premeditated impulse buying. At first that doesn’t seem like it makes sense, but let me put it in context for you. I knew I was going to put in an order with David’s (that darn teal mason jar drew me in!) and I knew I wanted free shipping. So all that was left was to fill my cart with goodies until I hit that mark. I certainly added ones I had “on my list” but then I was all “ooh this one sounds yummy!!” *click. Oopsie.

So far so good, and no buyers remorse. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Especially surprised because I don’t really care for red velvet. I’ve been making it every year for the past nine years for my husband for his birthday since we’ve been together. He goes crazy for it. So I had him in mind when I bought this, hoping to break him of his “Arizona sweet tea only” tea drinking habits. I tried it though and it was actually cakey. I really liked that. I could barely keep my eyes open though sipping it, and I’m having a rough time typing here )thank goodness for autocorrect! Lol

TTTTB 1/7

I’m so glad I got a chance to try this tea. I have been curious about this one for awhile. It tasted very similar to birthday cake but flatter and with black tea. I almost always prefer black tea over others so I’m surprised how much I prefer birthday cake over this.

VariaTEA

Initially I liked both but overtime I found this one too oily. As for Birthday Cake, I lost interest for a while but now that I have tried it cold brewed, there is no going back.

Day 6 of my Easter Advent calendar!

Can’t believe I didn’t add a tasting note from when I bought a bag of this. Whoops!

This is a tea I always get excited about drinking, make it, love the smell of it, love the taste of it for the first few sips, then it’s just SO SWEET that I can’t finish the cup. It tastes like artificial cake (because: flavouring), has the oily layer on top of the cup from the chocolate chips (which I’m not totally against…works like lip gloss), and that OHMYGODIJUSTHADACUPOFSUGAR from the sprinkles. I don’t understand the point of the white sprinkles, and the red ones impart their lovely artificial colour to turn the tea pinkish (did you know that red velvet cake shouldn’t ever have red food colouring in it? It turns “red” because of a chemical reaction between the fine cocoa powder and the vinegar added to the cake base. Now you know). It doesn’t matter how long I steep this tea, I always get that raunchy after taste from steeping black tea leaves too long. Boo.

Verdict: I want to love this tea because I love red velvet cake, but nope. Just can’t do it.

I was sceptical but this is a really delicious treat. You can really taste the creamy chocolate flavour. A nice tea to have in the afternoon. My main complaint is that the white chocolate chips leave a lot of scum in my clear glass teapot. Why do I have a clear glass teapot anyway… it was a gift and it looks cool and it makes a lot of tea so it’s good for serving to friends. And anyway, I wouldn’t want to have to share this tea, so I’m happy to just make a single big cup just for me ;-)

I’ve never been a fan of red velvet cake, to be honest. Just… never been my style of cake. Unfortunately, the same goes for this tea. It tastes… actually more maple-y than form-of-chocolate-cake-y to me, and while not off-putting, isn’t my first choice for an excellent tea.

But you can’t love ’em all.

Sipdown. I’ve discovered that the secret to making this tea taste like heaven is adding about teaspoon of this cranberry/vanilla/orange homemade simple syrup to the tea along with some skim milk. Not exactly healthy, but omg does it taste good!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

The best part of this tea, for me, is the dry smell. I’m not a huge fan of the taste but still it’s good. The type of black tea they use blends perfectly with the other ingredients. Still not quite sure of what to think about the sprinkles in there. I think perhaps that the tea would have been better off without them. This is is surprisingly good hot and cold.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Cream

155 °F / 68 °C 4 min, 15 sec 1 tsp

Not impressed at all. To be quite honest I’m sick of wasting money on David’s tea right about now. At first I was impressed being as I never drank tea but I find that with teas such as this one the flavour doesn’t live up to its name or claims. It tastes nothing like cake! It tasted like plain black tea but a bit sweeter. Not mention I had to add 3tsp of agave. But that’s not the point, the point is this tea like many others from David’s was so weak I had to use 2 heaping tbsp and it was still weak and I feel my money burning in my pocket as I scoop spoonful after spoonful trying to get a decent taste.

2 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML

I noticed many complaints about how sweet this tea is. I first discovered it when I had a raging sweet tooth, and although that tendency has died down since then, I still enjoy Red Velvet Cake. The only thing that’s changed is I’ve learned to tweak it a little; after a lucky mishap during which I steeped it for 9 minutes rather than 5, I found the stronger black tea flavour lent my cup a welcome astringency. It was uniquely comforting in a way that astringency is usually not. Less like liquefied cake, and more like a cake-flavoured tea. A lovely treat during exam week. This one is a keeper for me.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more