Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Artificial, Cake, Tannic, White Chocolate, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Chocolate, Creamy, Milk, Toffee, Cream, Maple, Sweet, Maple Syrup, Red Fruits, Vanilla, Frosting, Butter, Sugar, Tea
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don’t even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there’s something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1419 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess… this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing… yum, I was right. The...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3065 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I’m just having an...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1774 tasting notes
  • “Well. Keep this in your cupboard for too long and it turns quite disappointing. Too thin and watery (even when following parameters. Even when you add milk) and there’s a really cloying...” Read full tasting note
    joonsusanna 863 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I am somewhat new to drinking tea – in the past, I have found that most tea has little flavor. I went to my local David’s Tea location for “sleepy time tea”, and walked away with this after smelling it from the tin – let me tell you, it smells SO GOOD. This tea is definitely a game changer for me, and has inspired me to try new ones ordered from David’s Tea. I tried it for the first time this morning and immediately fell in love. Granted, it is fairly sweet, which some may not enjoy. I find myself brewing it for closer to 7 minutes, and add a little bit of milk and sugar – simply divine :)

Flavors: Chocolate

So this is a review for the chocolate bar.

I was hesitant to buy this one above the others because milk chocolate isn’t my favourite, but Red Velvet Cake is one of my favourite teas so I decided to give it a go. Glad I did! Even for milk chocolate, the chocolate is really nice, and the tea gives it a little extra something. Would like to try more of their chocolate bars, and I would recommend this one.

Kristal

I had the chocolate bar as well. I liked it, but I couldn’t taste any specific red velvet cake flavour. Still good, though!

Fay

I kind of got a hint of it, but not as much as if you actually drink the tea for sure.

Kristal

Yeah, I found the creaminess was hidden by the already creaminess of milk chocolate.

Huh? This was another tea I was sure I’d like but definitely didn’t. I’ve had a couple of other Red Velvet teas by now and usually like them. This did not taste like red velvet at all. In fact, I felt like I could actually taste the beet root that is part of this blend MORE than the chocolate or vanilla flavors you’re supposed to get with red velvet. I did taste the chocolate behind that, but the vanilla was nonexistent. I have a little more of this to try again with. Perhaps I steeped it too long? I actually took the basket out of the cup at the lower end of the recommended steep time range. Hmm…..

MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! I love this tea! It’s sweet, its delicious, and it came in a cute heart shape tin. What’s there not to love?

Flavors: Cake, Cake, Chocolate, Chocolate

200 °F / 93 °C
Chris Coppens

It’s definitely a tasty treat!

Mmm, now this tea is a treat! My favorite aspect of this tea is the buttery flavor that comes through! A very good tea I enjoyed it a lot, thanks to meganxpink again for sharing.

Flavors: Butter, Chocolate, Maple

Megan

WOW! This long awaited review really makes me excited to try Red Velvet Cake for myself :)

From the Overboard TTB!

Another enjoyable dessert tea from David’s. Somewhat similar to some of their others but definitely distinctively red velvet. I agree that it is sweet but since I like sweet dessert teas, it works for me.

TeaBrat

How much tea is in that box now? I wanna see some pics :)

I was really looking forward to this tea, but I’m a bit disappointed. A lot of t he reviewers say it’s sweet, but I just don’t taste it. It’s pretty bitter to me and I can barely taste the sweetness I was expecting.

Am I doing something wrong, fellow steepsters? Perhaps I steeped it too long? Or used too much tea?

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Because having the flu means sampling all the teas I just bought!

Smells like chocolate cake, very indulgent. The sprinkles are fun but probably unnecessary?

Brewed with boiling water for about 5 minutes in my new Adagio IngenuiTEA brewer.

Pretty good, I think I’ll brew it stronger next time to get more of the chocolatey flavor. Definitely needs sugar given the dessert like nature of the tea.

Flavors: Chocolate

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sigh. I wanted to like you, really I did! You promised excitement and adventure, but it turned out that you have no personality. You’re weak and bland, and I just feel nothing for you. As tea goes, you don’t have a strong enough leaf to demonstrate any character, and as far as red velvet cake – I detect none of that sweetness. No chocolate, no cake, no creaminess. All I taste is a weak tea with some generically sweet artificial flavouring. So bummed.

Maybe I’ll try this tea again one day to find out if the stuff I got was just not a good representative, but I won’t pay for it unless it drastically changes my mind somehow.

Flavors: Sugar, Tea

2032 tasting notes

Here’s Hoping Traveling Teabox Round #3 – Tea #9
This one actually does taste like red velvet cake, even if it uses some artificial to get there. But artificial and accurate is a good thing. It has a sweet syrupy flavor going on. The black tea itself is quite light though. The beets didn’t really make my cup redder than any black tea. The chocolate adds just a hint of chocolate, just like an actual red velvet. I like the flavor here, as it certainly fits the “cake tea” craving, probably more than most others I’ve tried.
Steep #1 // just boiled // 3-4min

Andy Hayes

Thanks for the honest review – I wouldn’t have tried this without your feedback first. :-)