Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Chocolate, Sugar, Tea, Sweet, Caramel, Cream, Butter, Vanilla, Cake, Maple
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don't even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there's something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff that draws me...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 848 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess... this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing... yum, I was right. The...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2498 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I'm just having an off day....” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Latte style while catching up on some TV. The more I have this the less impressed I am. It gets a skin on top (maybe this is also from the milk, but still - ew), and it just doesn't give me...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 810 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’ve never been a fan of red velvet cake, to be honest. Just… never been my style of cake. Unfortunately, the same goes for this tea. It tastes… actually more maple-y than form-of-chocolate-cake-y to me, and while not off-putting, isn’t my first choice for an excellent tea.

But you can’t love ’em all.

Just a disclaimer: I’ve never eaten red velvet cake – I think it’s just not really a Canadian thing. So I have no way of judging how ‘authentic’ the flavour is beyond that it tastes like cake.

It’s certainly a fun-looking tea with coloured sprinkles and white chocolate chips (I’m a sucker for anything white chocolate). The flavour is distinctly cakey initially but after that initial burst of flavour it seems to fade off into…nothing? That might just be because I need to steep it longer. The sugar sprinkles and chocolate give the tea just the right amount of sweetness that I wouldn’t consider adding any extra honey or sugar. Definitely trying a longer steep next time and I’ll see how well it goes with milk.

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

The best part of this tea, for me, is the dry smell. I’m not a huge fan of the taste but still it’s good. The type of black tea they use blends perfectly with the other ingredients. Still not quite sure of what to think about the sprinkles in there. I think perhaps that the tea would have been better off without them. This is is surprisingly good hot and cold.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Cream

155 °F / 68 °C 4 min, 15 sec 1 tsp

Not impressed at all. To be quite honest I’m sick of wasting money on David’s tea right about now. At first I was impressed being as I never drank tea but I find that with teas such as this one the flavour doesn’t live up to its name or claims. It tastes nothing like cake! It tasted like plain black tea but a bit sweeter. Not mention I had to add 3tsp of agave. But that’s not the point, the point is this tea like many others from David’s was so weak I had to use 2 heaping tbsp and it was still weak and I feel my money burning in my pocket as I scoop spoonful after spoonful trying to get a decent taste.

2 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML

I noticed many complaints about how sweet this tea is. I first discovered it when I had a raging sweet tooth, and although that tendency has died down since then, I still enjoy Red Velvet Cake. The only thing that’s changed is I’ve learned to tweak it a little; after a lucky mishap during which I steeped it for 9 minutes rather than 5, I found the stronger black tea flavour lent my cup a welcome astringency. It was uniquely comforting in a way that astringency is usually not. Less like liquefied cake, and more like a cake-flavoured tea. A lovely treat during exam week. This one is a keeper for me.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

This is one of my absolute favourite teas. It’s a lovely way to start a day that seems like it might not be great, always puts me in a better mood.

This is the first non fruity tea that I have tried! It is already sweet enough that I don’t have to add any sweeteners to it! It is weird seeing the minor oily-ness in the water but I guess that’s because of the sprinkles? If you don’t want your tea maker to stain then I suggest just using a filter. It is definitely one of the best tea’s I’ve had and I’m glad I went a nonfruity route when I went to DT yesterday! Make sure that when you brew this tea you put a little more than 1.5 tsps since any less would make the tea weaker!

This tea is very satisfying to my taste. If you enjoy sweet, (like myself) you should enjoy the rich notes of white chocolate.

At first, I picked this up intending on just trying it, but now I believe I’m somewhat hooked. It’s very dessert-like and it might be my new craving kicker. Overall, I’d say DAVIDsTEA did a good job on this one. I will be back for more.

My Favourite! This tea smells and tastes so good. Everyone needs to try it!

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more