Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Sugar, Tea, Chocolate, Caramel, Cream, Butter, Vanilla, Cake, Maple
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don't even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there's something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff that draws me...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 774 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess... this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing... yum, I was right. The...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2246 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I'm just having an off day....” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1694 tasting notes
  • “Latte style while catching up on some TV. The more I have this the less impressed I am. It gets a skin on top (maybe this is also from the milk, but still - ew), and it just doesn't give me...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This misses the mark so hard as red velvet. But it’s a nice butterscotch ice cream topping flavored tea.

I bet this would make an awesome flavored pancake syrup.

Sipdown (539)!

This is the last of a sample from someone I traded with a long time ago that was lost to the depths of time last year. The rest of my work samples I have labeled with who gave it to me, but not this one. I had enough left here to just barely be enough for my teapot. I didn’t really want to break out the gravity infuser this afternoon, but I might still have to if the network doesn’t come up. We’re at an hour and a half of downtime so far as of writing this. I’ve been sort of cleaning my desk and organizing things but I’m really not sure what to do with myself with all this time that I should be working but I can’t work on anything because they push us to have everything on the server and it is and now we can’t work on it because the server is down. It’s very frustrating.

This is a touch bitter and mapley (?) somehow. It hasn’t been stored very well (ziplock bag) but it also hasn’t been stored next to a maple tea of any sort so it’s odd. The maple flavour is stronger in the aftertaste. I know this is supposed to taste like Red Velvet Cake but really I’m getting maple syrup. Not the good kind, the fake Aunt Jamima’s type of “maple” syrup that’s great on cheap pancakes when you don’t want to break out the expensive stuff. Not that I do that or anything… I may have underleafed a bit but the flavour on this is surprisingly clear and strong. The sip tastes like almost nothing with a touch of bitterness but as soon as I swallow BAM maple.

Yeah, I don’t know.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML

Wow this is tasting note number 621. I have been a busy girl this past year.

This tea smells like sweet vanilla, chocolate and maple syrup. If I close my eyes and sniff it smells so delicious I’m almost fooled into trying to eat it. Like a fresh piece of cooked maple syrup cake drools

Flavour is also maple syrup like with hints of chocolate that’s very sweet. It’s not red velvet cake as much as syrup cake in my opinion but non the less it’s artificially delicious. Definitely no sugar needed for this blend and though I only had one cups worth – would I drink more of this tea (if I had it)? Hells yes!!!

Bleh.

I had enough of this left for one cup, so I made myself drink it yesterday. I was hoping that maybe I would like it more than I did last time… but I actually liked it even less. I get no cake-y taste from this at all, just thin sugar water. No.

This tea is SO not for me.

And then, today, I delivered a 100g tin of it to my best friend. It’s her favorite. So weird.

Sipdown tea #6!
Finished my packet of this. I forgot how good it was. I just might have to order some more.

1932 tasting notes

I pulled this out to see how much I had for a swap and realized that I have not had a cup in a while. I remember really liking this tea but my tastes have changed and this is no longer a favorite. It is chocolatey and cakey but really nothing special. I have tried this tea time and time again and I am bored of it. There are much better options out there which is probably why I don’t reach for this anymore.

Rating dropped from 95…

Courtney

I was reading some of my old tasting notes the other day. It’s funny how our tastes evolve.

VariaTEA

It just makes me sad that I loved a tea so much that I stocked up and now I can’t get through a glass of it :(

Courtney

I know what you mean. I made a cup of David’s Genmaicha the other day and it went down the sink. It seemed too harsh, which doesn’t seem Genmaicha-like to me. At least I have Japon. :)

VariaTEA

I fear that my tastes will change and I won’t love Japon but then I drink Japon and laugh at my silliness :P

Fjellrev

This one went downhill for me very quickly. The first two cups were enjoyable, but after that, way too sweet and chemically.

Courtney

Hahaha! Absolutely. My tastes seem to be towards higher quality teas as time goes on. Not all the time, but in general. Although I refuse to try anyone else’s straight guayusa since I drink so much of it and it’s so easy to get from David’s haha.

Jennkay

I agree! I was happy to swap it away to someone who would enjoy the rest of it better than me.

Roswell Strange

Never liked this one :p

Okay, so I tried this again, and I seriously felt like I was biting into a stick of butter coated in sugar. Too much!!

Nik

That sounds…unpleasant…

Rebecca Lynn

It really was. I don’t recall feeling that way last time I had it.

THIS IS MY 400TH TASTING NOTE!!!!!!!!

Yay! I’m celebrating with a new tea! The dry leaf aroma smells really chocolaty. I don’t really get red velvet cake. Instead, it smells like gooey, sumptuous, chocolate cake! The brewed aroma has transformed yet maintains its cake likeness. It appears to be a bit scummy and oily on top, but that’s to be expected when there’s this many sprinkles in the blend.

Oh man! I don’t know if this tastes like red velvet cake per say, but IT IS YUMMY! I’m definitely tasting cake. A delicious cake! Some sips taste like chocolate cake; some sips taste like red velvet cake complete with cream cheese icing; and some sips taste like a slightly oily, sugary, cake batter-flavored tea. Oddly, all sips are equally tasty.

You definitely want to drink this while it’s hot. It’s kind of gross when it cools. But hot, it is super delicious! I sucked this cup down! I did add some sweetener and that really made this tea perfect. Second infusion for 6 minutes was pretty yummy too. Now I just have to keep repeating to myself…I cannot justify purchasing this. I cannot. I cannot.

Hesper June

Congrats on 400!!! Sounds like a tasty tea to celebrate:)

Veronica

Congratulations on 400!

YAY!! congratulations on reaching 400 :)

When I found myself with a bit of free time after work, of course I wandered over to Davids to get this little beauty. I got a cup to go and as soon as we got home, I also made De make a pot for us to share. It’s so, so good, but a little weak. Both the in-store cup and the pot made at home were weak when steeped with our usual parameters, so you might want to give a bit of extra time. Still, it is delicious!

DaisyChubb

I found it weak as well! I’ll keep it in mind when I bring some home to steep the heck out of it haha

Uniquity

I’m so excited to try this one, Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait and Persion Apple. MMM!

KeenTeaThyme

MUST. ACQUIRE. SOON. :) I love Red Velvet Cake! Any other chicas have the Philosophy shower gel?!

DaisyChubb

eee I love your new picture/avatar! So cute

This is delicious. Very similar to Pineapple Upside down cake, but a little more chocolaty. I only ordered the small bag and I’m flying through this. Definite re-order. Yum.