Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Caramel, Chocolate, Cream, Butter, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don't even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there's something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff that draws me...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess... this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing... yum, I was right. The...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I'm just having an off day....” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1408 tasting notes
  • “Latte style while catching up on some TV. The more I have this the less impressed I am. It gets a skin on top (maybe this is also from the milk, but still - ew), and it just doesn't give me...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 767 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I went in to DavidsTea today because my little bro’s birthday is coming up, and he’s into tea! Woohoo! So, I picked him up some stuff, and while I was at it the salesperson offered me a free cup of this tea! Nice! Let me tell you, it’s like almost identical to pineapple upside down cake by Della Terra! How did that happen?!! Not even the same ingredients! It must be that they both have the same type of cake flavoring or something. Anyway, super sweet tea. Very enjoyable. Good way to fight off sweet cravings!!

Lariel

It has pineapples?

Please keep things friendly and .

i used the http://www.jaydeee.net/pickatea.php tool to help choose this tea last night.
it was great!

and then i put my roller skates on and did spins in the living room (before we refinish the floor and move the furniture back in).
did i mention i used to competitively roller skate? like what they do on ice skates on tv.
i had some pretty rad costumes.

canadianadia

rollers skates and rad costumes…what a fun tealog :D

Please keep things friendly and .

As the last of my teas from DT’s Chocolate gift set, this one was probably the one I was most excited about… and then disappointed in. I had a chance to smell the dry tea previously in store and I knew I had to try some, but since I had been intending on doing an online order right away (I love free samples :D ) so I held off on buying it that day. Instead I found the gift pack and since it was a good deal figured why not. In the end I’m glad I did the gift pack as it was a great way to try a bunch of new teas out without getting tones of leaf, but I really wish this one had come through for me.

Dry this tea smells absolutely delicious; the sweet baked cake aromas combined with the chocolate makes for a wonderful (and powerful) blend, but I don’t get much from the black tea… a few dark notes but they’re quite hidden by the rest of the scent profile.

When steeped the liquor comes out a murky brown-rose color, certainly not red despite the addition of the beetroot powder. And between the chocolate, sprinkles and the powder it’s no surprise that the tea is murky, nor that there is some film on top… To be honest I’m really not sure about the addition of sprinkles in this tea, while it certainly gives it some visual interest (and perhaps a bit of sweetness) I feel that they don’t really add much to the tea (then again I’m not a big fan of sprinkles in general so shrugs). Scent-wise I now get a few more “cake” notes with less sweetness, and I’ve almost lost the chocolate all together, and still no sign of the black tea either.

Now, I will admit that I’ve over leafed this cup since my previous experiences with it have all found a distinct lack of flavor. But even with almost 1.5 times my normal amount it’s still disappointing. The flavor is a weak mix of nondescript cake made from a box and a touch of chocolate with not much else. I’m getting the occasional hit from the black tea now but even at that it just doesn’t stand up to the scent profile of the dry tea. The mouth feel is very light and a touch gritty on the back end of the sip (perhaps from the powder? Not sure on that one.)

Well I think it’s time to give up on this tea, I keep trying thinking maybe I’ll like it at a later date but it just doesn’t seem to be growing on me. Oh well you never know till you try, right? :)

Tuscanteal

Question for you – how come you’re brewing it at such a low temperature for the water? That might be why it’s brewing up a bit weaker. I have this tea at home too, and it is definitely a “I have to be in the mood for this” kind of tea, and it does brew up a weaker black… but just was curious

Kirlika

:) It’s a valid question. I typically brew my tea at work and I typically use hot water from our Culligan unit rather than waiting for the ancient kettle to heat the water to a reasonable temperature. (To be honest even my kettle at home can’t quite get the water much above 90C without strain, but this is why I have a variable temperature kettle on my Christmas list this year ;) crosses fingers)

Tuscanteal

Or… you can get the big daddy, and get the Breville Tea maker!!!

Please keep things friendly and .

Ive been sipping on this one all day. Thank you to ashleyef. Even through my flu I could taste the cakeyness and chocolate through it. I did not however have any white chocolate chips in my packet. I’m sure it would have added a great creaminess for that cream cheese frosting. I liked this… But will have to try it again when I’m not sick. :)

JustJames

feel better! i got a random eye thing. i think we’re all getting hit with the season change.

Please keep things friendly and .

I’m one of those people who really really loves red velvet cake, and this tea smelled amazing so I was super excited to try it. I wasn’t completely disappointed!
It tastes a lot like Birthday Cake actually, which is one of my favourite dessert teas. I was a little worried about the beetroot, since it often makes teas taste weird and metallic to me. It only comes out a little in this tea though. That’s really the only bad thing about it… otherwise it’s “sweet and lightly creamy” just like the description says. I actually get strong hints of cream cheese icing which is what most reminds me of red velvet cake here… there’s not much chocolate coming through. As far as the cake teas go, this is not my favourite, but it is a satisfying dessert tea and I will happily finish my 25g bag!

Shmiracles

we were painting the living room last night and i made this tea and brought it downstairs to cool while i got started. then my roommate says ‘do you smell pancakes?’
i exclaimed ’that’s my tea!’
i was strangely proud that we could smell it’s deliciousness even over the paint fumes! hah

Please keep things friendly and .

New to me tea #3 from my order.

This is such a pretty leaf tea. Sprinkled with white chocolate chips & red & white sprinkles. Super cute.
It smells sweet & cake like. Om nom nom. I had my very first red velvet cupcake a few months ago. I have to say after the first couple of bites I didn’t like it, by the 4th or so I was in love! s thick in my mouth. drool I wants more!!!!!!! I feel like I ate a piece of cake with icing. I must buy more of this. I will probably get one of the pretty tins if I can find them

Please keep things friendly and .

This tea is something Little Debbie® would approve.
It is sickeningly sweet, chocolaty and dough-like. Let’s not forget the icing, because David knows better than to forget the icing.

Since I bought the collectable tin, I’ll reserve this tea as a post-workout treat. Better yet for guests, detainees of the sweet tooth war, if you will.

Ysaurella

Thanks to you note I searched and know now who is Little Debbie !

Please keep things friendly and .

I might just end up shooting Tre! He decided to make a cup of one my DAVIDsTEAs for himself and chose Red Velvet Cake. It’s not that I don’t want him using my teas (he has permission to make himself whatever he wants so long as the tea balls aren’t already filled with leaves for things I plan to resteep later), but that he blatantly ignores what the tins say about amounts to use for a cup and what I’ve told him.

So, earlier today he made a cup of DAVIDsTEA’s Hot Lips for himself (the tea I bought specifically with him in mind), but halfway through his cup decided that he didn’t want Hot Lips anymore so he boiled up some more water, filled the mug up to the brim with new hot water (without dumping the old tea) and then, when he thought I wasn’t watching, took out a tablespoon it filled it so it was heaping and then proceeded to try and cram all of the leaves into a tea ball. THEY BARELY FIT. The leaves are gonna have no room to expand :/

If it weren’t one of my least favourite (if not my least favourite) DAVIDsTEAs that I currently have stocked, and if I didn’t have so much of it I would be so much more upset than I am right now!

He also added in about two full tablespoons of sugar to it! So, he has a mug of watered down Hot Lips that was then resteeped with AT LEAST twice the recommended leaf for Red Velvet Cake, and he then added a ton of sugar to it. YUCK.

Anyway, that’s why I’m drinking Red Velvet Cake right now – he was just going to trash the leaves, but it seemed like such a waste especially considering how much extra leaf he used. So, I resteeped the leaves and added a small bit of milk (maybe 1/2 a teaspoon if that). Like I said, Red Velvet is not one of my favourites, but this resteep is actually better than I usually get and almost as good as when I steep this one for the first time. I’m going to attribute that to the fact he used so much leaf for his cup.

I swear though, I better not catch him wasting leaf for any of my favourites! I might have to start hoarding some teas in my closet where he can’t get at them…

Roswell Strange

Just commenting to add that he went to make himself a second cup with new leaf, and measured out the same gigantic, heaping portion! GAH! Thankfully he went to grab something from his room while the water boiled and I had time to dump about half of it back out and into the tin. He didn’t notice a difference in the flavour at all (and I managed to save some leaves). I don’t think he realizes how expensive teas can be…

Please keep things friendly and .

So this time I used 3 tsp and a dash of milk. Eh. I don’t know what it is with some of these dessert teas. Maybe the milk subdued the flavor even with 3 tsp. With a dessert, you except some fullness in your mouth and these teas, though they certainly smell nice, are still tea and thin. As with the first cup, there’s some malt and a bit of maple and sweetness, but I get nothing that screams red velvet cake.

What I have noticed is that I need to be patient and let these cool down just a touch as you can really taste the flavors when you aren’t burning your tongue!

Please keep things friendly and .

Hello maple. I can smell you there, even if I don’t see you in the ingredients.

Red Velvet Cake is reminding me of Birthday Cake, at least the smell. We shall see momentarily how the taste pans out. Birthday Cake was too much for me. Though in all fairness it could have been the rooibos base, since I have yet to discover a rooibos I enjoy.

I’m enjoying this one! Despite my dislike of chocolate I think this one may be kept around in my cupboard in small doses. The overwhelming sweet smell doesn’t do the tea justice. It’s a nice smooth, cup of tea. Yes sweet, but not sickeningly so.