Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Cake, Chocolate, Vanilla, White Chocolate, Caramel, Sweet, Frosting, Creamy, Butter, Maple, Sugar, Tea, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don’t even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there’s something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1250 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess… this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing… yum, I was right. The...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3034 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I’m just having an...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1774 tasting notes
  • “Well. Keep this in your cupboard for too long and it turns quite disappointing. Too thin and watery (even when following parameters. Even when you add milk) and there’s a really cloying...” Read full tasting note
    joonsusanna 863 tasting notes

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I went in to DavidsTea today because my little bro’s birthday is coming up, and he’s into tea! Woohoo! So, I picked him up some stuff, and while I was at it the salesperson offered me a free cup of this tea! Nice! Let me tell you, it’s like almost identical to pineapple upside down cake by Della Terra! How did that happen?!! Not even the same ingredients! It must be that they both have the same type of cake flavoring or something. Anyway, super sweet tea. Very enjoyable. Good way to fight off sweet cravings!!

Lariel of Lórien

It has pineapples?

i used the tool to help choose this tea last night.
it was great!

and then i put my roller skates on and did spins in the living room (before we refinish the floor and move the furniture back in).
did i mention i used to competitively roller skate? like what they do on ice skates on tv.
i had some pretty rad costumes.

rollers skates and rad costumes…what a fun tealog :D

As the last of my teas from DT’s Chocolate gift set, this one was probably the one I was most excited about… and then disappointed in. I had a chance to smell the dry tea previously in store and I knew I had to try some, but since I had been intending on doing an online order right away (I love free samples :D ) so I held off on buying it that day. Instead I found the gift pack and since it was a good deal figured why not. In the end I’m glad I did the gift pack as it was a great way to try a bunch of new teas out without getting tones of leaf, but I really wish this one had come through for me.

Dry this tea smells absolutely delicious; the sweet baked cake aromas combined with the chocolate makes for a wonderful (and powerful) blend, but I don’t get much from the black tea… a few dark notes but they’re quite hidden by the rest of the scent profile.

When steeped the liquor comes out a murky brown-rose color, certainly not red despite the addition of the beetroot powder. And between the chocolate, sprinkles and the powder it’s no surprise that the tea is murky, nor that there is some film on top… To be honest I’m really not sure about the addition of sprinkles in this tea, while it certainly gives it some visual interest (and perhaps a bit of sweetness) I feel that they don’t really add much to the tea (then again I’m not a big fan of sprinkles in general so shrugs). Scent-wise I now get a few more “cake” notes with less sweetness, and I’ve almost lost the chocolate all together, and still no sign of the black tea either.

Now, I will admit that I’ve over leafed this cup since my previous experiences with it have all found a distinct lack of flavor. But even with almost 1.5 times my normal amount it’s still disappointing. The flavor is a weak mix of nondescript cake made from a box and a touch of chocolate with not much else. I’m getting the occasional hit from the black tea now but even at that it just doesn’t stand up to the scent profile of the dry tea. The mouth feel is very light and a touch gritty on the back end of the sip (perhaps from the powder? Not sure on that one.)

Well I think it’s time to give up on this tea, I keep trying thinking maybe I’ll like it at a later date but it just doesn’t seem to be growing on me. Oh well you never know till you try, right? :)

Question for you – how come you’re brewing it at such a low temperature for the water? That might be why it’s brewing up a bit weaker. I have this tea at home too, and it is definitely a “I have to be in the mood for this” kind of tea, and it does brew up a weaker black… but just was curious

:) It’s a valid question. I typically brew my tea at work and I typically use hot water from our Culligan unit rather than waiting for the ancient kettle to heat the water to a reasonable temperature. (To be honest even my kettle at home can’t quite get the water much above 90C without strain, but this is why I have a variable temperature kettle on my Christmas list this year ;) crosses fingers)

Or… you can get the big daddy, and get the Breville Tea maker!!!

Ive been sipping on this one all day. Thank you to ashleyef. Even through my flu I could taste the cakeyness and chocolate through it. I did not however have any white chocolate chips in my packet. I’m sure it would have added a great creaminess for that cream cheese frosting. I liked this… But will have to try it again when I’m not sick. :)

feel better! i got a random eye thing. i think we’re all getting hit with the season change.

I’m one of those people who really really loves red velvet cake, and this tea smelled amazing so I was super excited to try it. I wasn’t completely disappointed!
It tastes a lot like Birthday Cake actually, which is one of my favourite dessert teas. I was a little worried about the beetroot, since it often makes teas taste weird and metallic to me. It only comes out a little in this tea though. That’s really the only bad thing about it… otherwise it’s “sweet and lightly creamy” just like the description says. I actually get strong hints of cream cheese icing which is what most reminds me of red velvet cake here… there’s not much chocolate coming through. As far as the cake teas go, this is not my favourite, but it is a satisfying dessert tea and I will happily finish my 25g bag!

we were painting the living room last night and i made this tea and brought it downstairs to cool while i got started. then my roommate says ‘do you smell pancakes?’
i exclaimed ’that’s my tea!’
i was strangely proud that we could smell it’s deliciousness even over the paint fumes! hah

New to me tea #3 from my order.

This is such a pretty leaf tea. Sprinkled with white chocolate chips & red & white sprinkles. Super cute.
It smells sweet & cake like. Om nom nom. I had my very first red velvet cupcake a few months ago. I have to say after the first couple of bites I didn’t like it, by the 4th or so I was in love!

This tea is something Little Debbie® would approve.
It is sickeningly sweet, chocolaty and dough-like. Let’s not forget the icing, because David knows better than to forget the icing.

Since I bought the collectable tin, I’ll reserve this tea as a post-workout treat. Better yet for guests, detainees of the sweet tooth war, if you will.

Thanks to you note I searched and know now who is Little Debbie !

This review is for the Red Velvet Cake infused Milk Chocolate Bar sold by DAVIDsTEA.

This evening I split one of these chocolate bars with my mother and sister during a Gong Fu session with Camellia Sinensis’ Lu Yu Shan Wu. One of the things I talked about in my Tea Sommelier course for the “Science of Taste” module was tea and chocolate pairings and I was excited to put that knowledge to the test. The one caveat was that I basically hated the actual tea this chocolate bar was based on. However, some Steepster users told me it was essentially just a nice milk chocolate bar so I tried it anyway.

And you know what? It basically was just milk chocolate with some tea leaf in it (I still don’t get why DAVIDsTEA does that – no one wants to bite into some tea leaf). My mother was very impressed with the quality of the milk chocolate, though less so with the price tag associated. If one was so inclined to enjoy DAVIDsTEA’s Red Velvet Cake blend $6 would buy you a lot more loose leaf than you’re getting in the chocolate itself.

However, for what it is I was happy with the experience.

Glad you had an ok experience! I felt like there was something besides milk chocolate going on, but certainly not RDC. Lucky I got my bar on sale with a drink/bar combo

So this time I used 3 tsp and a dash of milk. Eh. I don’t know what it is with some of these dessert teas. Maybe the milk subdued the flavor even with 3 tsp. With a dessert, you except some fullness in your mouth and these teas, though they certainly smell nice, are still tea and thin. As with the first cup, there’s some malt and a bit of maple and sweetness, but I get nothing that screams red velvet cake.

What I have noticed is that I need to be patient and let these cool down just a touch as you can really taste the flavors when you aren’t burning your tongue!

Hello maple. I can smell you there, even if I don’t see you in the ingredients.

Red Velvet Cake is reminding me of Birthday Cake, at least the smell. We shall see momentarily how the taste pans out. Birthday Cake was too much for me. Though in all fairness it could have been the rooibos base, since I have yet to discover a rooibos I enjoy.

I’m enjoying this one! Despite my dislike of chocolate I think this one may be kept around in my cupboard in small doses. The overwhelming sweet smell doesn’t do the tea justice. It’s a nice smooth, cup of tea. Yes sweet, but not sickeningly so.