Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Sugar, Tea, Chocolate, Caramel, Cream, Butter, Vanilla, Cake, Maple
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don't even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there's something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff that draws me...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 766 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess... this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing... yum, I was right. The...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2245 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I'm just having an off day....” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1691 tasting notes
  • “Latte style while catching up on some TV. The more I have this the less impressed I am. It gets a skin on top (maybe this is also from the milk, but still - ew), and it just doesn't give me...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I wanted my 100th note to be something I really love. Thank you Vanilla Beans for this extremely generous sample!!

I love it. I don’t taste a huge difference between this and Birthday Cake besides the type of tea of course, but that makes me like it even more. I love the sweet vanilly baked cake flavor that just fills your senses, and now I can have it caffeinate me!! This is going to be on my list for my first DAVIDs order in a large size. It smells amazing, and it tastes even better.

I’m finding a great love in DAVIDs dessert teas over Teavana’s, I get this artifical sugar dried pineapple flavor in every Teavana tea but I feel I can enjoy each DAVIDs tea separately as it’s own. I am so excited that I got to try this, and Vanilla Beans sent enough samples of amazing teas to get me through until my DAVIDs order!!

So, I mentioned that I would review this one again once I tried it at home.

It has made my home smell like sweet heaven. I love this tea so much. It is sweet and tastes almost like candy. I am totally in love with this tea. I hope this one is sticking around, because I am totally in love. I’m going to have to get more. I can see this one repeating what I did last year with pumpkin chai (I bought probably close to like 700g of it last year alone. The only reason I still have some from last year still is ‘cause my friend gave me some at the beginning of this year, and I started to slow down drinking it.)
Anyway, I’m VERY glad I got some of this, and that I got the collector’s tin of it. I’ll be getting more.

This is just ok for me. It’s awfully sweet. Not sure that it’s exactly red velvet cake, but it’s sweet and somewhat chocolate. Other chocolate teas are more dark/bitter chocolate – not this one – it’s full of candy/sweet (maybe even icing – or that’s the overload sweet) chocolate.

At last count I had 47 teas in my possession, not including tea blossoms (they’re all on one box so I counted them as one) or bagged tea. As my husband would say, “You have an addiction.”

And I do, I don’t deny it.

Thus in an attempt to make a dent in what he’s called my “doomsday tea stash” I’m forcing myself to drink more tea (or trying to anyways) even while 17 weeks pregnant and still not completely over my nausea. I can’t really give a good review since my tastes and stomach are severely off at the moment, however I’m sure that if I was feeling better I would LOVE this tea. Right now though it’s tasting far, far too sweet to me, much like Birthday Cake without the rooibos base. Besides, there are far better reviews of this tea out there…

I had tried this tea very early in my intro to the world of tea…..which is recent, I only started dring loose tea in early 2013….,I didn’t love this tea, but only tried a cup or two…..I was in Davids recently, and thought I should give it another try……I love black, flavoured sweet tea……this should be right up my alley, right?
Well, the smell is wonderful….it is cakey, buttercream…..a scent I love for candles btw……but the tea……it is just too sweet for me……and I get an oily sort of mouth feel…..it is ok, overall, but it does taste to me like drinking a hot, runny cake batter……too hard for me to drink that, at least other than the occasional cup, when I really want something sweet…..
As I let my unfinished half cup sit, the whole room smells like I lit a buttercream candle…..maybe I won’t use this one as tea, but as room scenter….wouldn’t rebuy this one……

Lilysmom

Meant to say ‘re-buy’ ( not rebut )……

OMGsrsly

Rebut is more fun! :) You can edit if you go to your “Tasting notes” page.

Lilysmom

Ah, thank you, good to know! Took me a while to find the “tasting notes” page……I am such a “newbie”!……

I made THE best latte of this today. Sweet and light. I wish it was more chocolatey but I see why others would love it.

The theme of this morning’s unhealthy breakfast is sweetness overload! I’m sitting here sipping on this deliciously sweet tea and eating cider donuts that I brought home from yesterday’s apple picking. Anyway, the dry leaf immediately hit me with a velvety, sweet smell. Smells the way that cake should! I was worried that this tea might not live up to the hype, but it really does taste like red velvet cake! And it has a creamy texture that tricks me into thinking it’s more solid and filling than it actually is.

Not rating for now because I don’t think I got any chocolate chip pieces in my teaspoon, oops! I’ll rate when I taste again with the full experience.

Yes, I like to drink black tea in the evening. This is a dessert tea, right? The aroma is really nice, very sweet and chocolately. I should really have red velvet cake with these teas. It’s important for flavour research. Anyway, I do taste cake in this tea. Otherwise, it has a good chocolate flavour.

The first time I steeped this, it wasn’t so good. I don’t know what I did wrong, but it was very weak. This time though it was delicious! Creamy, velvety cake taste. I’m not a big fan of red velvet cake in person, but in a tea, I love it. Glad my momma got me this for christmas :)

Another tea I had with History Laced, either one of her Christmas swap or that she ordered herself, my memory fails me. I love these little tea tastings, I always end up taking home something new.

Observation 1: My lovely boyfriend prepared the tea for us. The tea was prepared as instructed at 93 degrees Celsius for 4 minutes. Leaves were placed loose in the teapot.

Observation 2: Naked, this tea is very sweet. There is a chocolatey taste with lots of icing.

Observation 3: With sugar, the flavor is very artificially cake-like, more like the dye on sprinkles than actual cake. I can taste the black tea base very strong and clear.

Observation 4: With milk the taste is akin to cream cheese.

Observation 5: with milk and sugar it tastes the closest to red velvet cake; not only am I tasting the chocolate cake, but also the cream cheese icing flavor. This tea clearly tastes the way it was intended.

Overall: A very fun blend for tea tastings. I am not a fan, but this tea was a decent representation of a red velvet cake. History Laced even noted there were sprinkles in the tea blend. :P I am not a big sweet eater and over the course of recent years cream cheese icing has made itself the bane of my existence; so I think that I would drink this tea on very rare occasions in very small doses. I seem to be having bad luck with David Teas, maybe because they use artificial flavoring that throws off the experience on my palate? I am not seeming to be a fan of Davids Teas. Such a shame; I want to like them.

Boyfriend Remarks: With milk and sugar, tastes like cake.

^^ He REALLY likes cake. I think he would dump me for a cake my size. (After reading this, he replied: “I would not dump you for a cake your size; it would go bad.”)

CrowKettle

Ah, that was probably from me! I felt terrible, since I sent down a scrawny amount of David’s Tea, and History Laced gave me these lovely, filled out Lupicia samples in return; I’ve enjoyed them a lot more than the DT samples I sent down. I owe her a nice fat package full of tea from various companies.

Lately, the DT blends tend to lean on the artificial side of things and, unfortunately, this one is the epitome of that. If either of you are still curious of certain blends from their website I’ll pick them up for you though. :)

Lady 0f Spaydes

Well don’t feel bad; it happens! She enjoyed them a lot more than I did and even Lupicia’s pastry teas aren’t my favorites. :) Perhaps we can swap something yummy sometime soon; ill let her know about your offer.