Stormy Night (organic)

Black Tea Leaves, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Coconut, Vanilla, Vanilla Flavour
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Coconut, Nutmeg, Spicy, Vanilla, Caramel, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by Saphron Jenene

As good as it gets

It was three o’clock in the afternoon on a rainy Friday. David was hungry. He needed a nap, a shave, and a hot meal. What he had was a kettle, a pack of matches, and a bag of black tea. So he grabbed some ingredients and threw them in the water. Chocolate, cinnamon, coconut, vanilla – this drink was a real piece of work. He lifted his cup, took a drink and then another. It was hotter than an inferno and smoother than silk. It was good. Almost too good.

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, chocolate, cinnamon, coconut, vanilla. With natural vanilla flavouring*.

Allergens: Dairy and coconut

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I want to like this one a lot more than I do, but it just doesn’t hold together well enough. I think there are too many ingredients and something gets confused along the way. However, it is really great for when I’m watching a movie, and it tastes just great brewed in a cup of hot milk. When you don’t know what you want, or just want a little bit of everything, this is a good tea to try.

This was another free sample that I got with my latest order, and I figured: what could go wrong? It can’t be as bad as coffee chai.

And, to my sheer delight, it wasn’t as bad. Granted, while the water was boiling I meticulously pulled out as many pieces of coconut that I could find since I HATE coconut. Since the pieces in this tea were so large, even though previous users had noted they couldn’t taste it, I can pick up the taste of coconut in President’s Choice Decadent chocolate chip cookies. Don’t believe me that it’s an ingredient? Look on the package. Dried coconut and coconut oil. Told you. My palate is sensitive to it. Gross.

Anyway. So I picked out most of the coconut, dumped the rest in the filter and steeped. Steeped until the chocolate dissolved, swirled it around a few times, then sipped. And…yuck. The smell was SO STRONG. Both the dried tea and the steeped tea. But the taste? Somewhat murky chocolate tasting but with no real punch. And I had to use my imagination to pick up any kind of chilli taste.

Definitely not a “would buy” tea. I didn’t hate it, but I certainly didn’t like it.

Dry: Smells primarily like cinnamon with a faint background of coconut, malt, and chocolate. Pretty loose tea with visible coconut and chocolate.

Steeped: Cinnamon scent more than anything else. Pretty light brown color, has a little bit of a film on the top.

Taste: Cinnamon! With nothing added, I was overwhelmed by the cinnamon taste from the first steep. If you love cinnamon, this is for you. I like it generally, but do not love it so I was hard pressed to truly love this tea. The second steep was a slightly weaker version than the first, but I started to detect the tea itself along with chocolate, but cinnamon still dominated. With a splash of milk added after a sip of the second steep, the tea actually became much more pleasant for me- I could taste the chocolate more prominently and a hint of coconut and creamy vanilla. I’m not sure about the overall flavor combo for my palate- might just be too many things competing with the cinnamon. I added a splash of milk to the third steep also and it was similar to the second, but significantly weaker.

This tea makes me think of autumn. I enjoyed the second steep with milk much more than the first once I was able to get over the cinnamon punch. It would not be a staple in my house, but it wouldn’t be amiss for those rare cold nights when I want hot cinnamon and chocolate in front of the fire.

Seriously.. this is my all-time favourite tea from DAVIDsTEA. I’m glad it’s sticking around as a permanent tea, and hopefully for a long time. I recently stocked up on 250g of it during the awesome $14.50/250g web special promotion. I like it best with a splash of chocolate milk. Chocolate, cinnamon, coconut and vanilla.. what more could you ask for? It’s like a healthier version of a hot chocolate. David really knew what he was doing when creating this tea. It’ll forever be in my collection.

Tea with lots of flavor, and full bodied.

Sip down! Mixed with a bit of H&S Stanley’s blend to up the robustness. Enjoyed my cup, but also happy to remove the tea from my Steepster cupboard. I am never going to clean out my cupboard at the rate I’m going.

Chocolate, cinnamon, coconut and vanilla…these are a few of my favorite things! I bought this tea as TOTM. I have since bought a tin. It is a little messy in my steeper, but I don’t mind. I love the chocolatey flavor. It has such a rich taste, almost comforting.

This one is kind of a miss for me.

It’s not that I hate it (thankfully, since I still have a 50g bag of it in my cupboard), but I don’t think that I would buy it again. I like my black tea to be strong (though not bitter), and this one was very weak no matter how long I steeped it.

Taste-wise it kind of reminded me of cinnamon buns (which.. yum!), and if the flavour profile had been stronger it had the potential to be really enjoyable.

Boiling 8 min or more

I found this tea to be quite unremarkable. Besides a mishmash of flavours, cinnamon was the only one I could identify. It tastes similar to DavidsTea’s Forever Nuts, but much weaker. Overall—“meh.”

This is an ok tea. The dry nose is delicious with a lot of promise, but once steeped leaves a lot to be desired. Steeping too long makes the cinnamon overpowering, but too little doesn’t give you any of the other flavours. Added a bit of milk to the second cup and it made it a little more comforting, tamed the cinnamon a bit and brought out some of the chocolate and coconut.