Stormy Night (organic)

Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Saphron Jenene

From DAVIDsTEA

As good as it gets

It was three o’clock in the afternoon on a rainy Friday. David was hungry. He needed a nap, a shave, and a hot meal. What he had was a kettle, a pack of matches, and a bag of black tea. So he grabbed some ingredients and threw them in the water. Chocolate, cinnamon, coconut, vanilla – this drink was a real piece of work. He lifted his cup, took a drink and then another. It was hotter than an inferno and smoother than silk. It was good. Almost too good.

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, chocolate, cinnamon, coconut, vanilla. With natural vanilla flavouring*.

Allergens: Dairy and coconut

About DAVIDsTEA View company

My absolute favourite that I’ve had over the years since I got into the whole tea loving experience. Was quite sad when it was discontinued at David’s! When I got the email this month that they were “raising it from the dead” for Halloween I was so excited. I immediately ordered 250 grams of it online but now that it’s out of stock again, I’m regretting not ordering more. I’ll just have to slow down and savour what I bought over the next year. Hopefully they raise it again for next Halloween or consider relisting it.

So why do I like it sooo much? I think it’s the complexity, there’s so much going on in it. With chocolate, vanilla, coconut, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, chipotle and ancho chilli ingredients there’s a lot of different flavour accents. Even the appearance of it is awesome. It has a deep amber colour brewed that has a really nice sheen on the surface and the cinnamon and spices are suspended and happily swimming throughout the liquid. In the bag dried, it smells completely decadent with prominent chocolate, vanilla and coconut aromas. Once brewed, the cinnamon and spice aromas come out wonderfully. I love all the different distinct flavours as well as how they mingle and merge.

Only 1 tea receives a score of 100 from me. This is the one.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Coconut, Nutmeg, Spicy, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 6 min, 30 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML
Kristal

Nice! Glad you could benefit for them bringing it back. It’s like me with luscious watermelon in the summer time :)

CelticBrew

Lol nice. It would be so much simpler if we loved things in their permanent collection the same way eh?

Kristal

Ugh yes. On one hand I understand they keep rotations going to pique interest at certain points and to make sure they are making money, but it certainly can lead to frustrated customers. I know I’ve been in DAVIDs and I’ve seen occasional customers asking about getting a tea from 2 years ago, and it turns them off for sure.

I’m not entirely sure what I think of this tea. Before it arrived in my order, I stumbled upon the reviews here and kept note of what everyone was saying. Once it arrived, I noticed that the smell of the dry tea reminded me of oatmeal raisin cookies. I made the tea, and sweetened it with honey. The resulting taste reminded of me burnt chocolate and I definitely understand where everyone is getting “muddy” from. The strong flavors I hoped for all blend together in one big slightly cinnamon and chocolate cup of tea. I don’t even taste the coconut. I might try with light agave nectar to see if maybe that’ll bring out more of the flavors. If not, I’m going to hope that the taste grows on me the more I drink it.

Edit: Ok, I was right. The more I drink this tea, the more it grows on me. I also had to change me steeping time and sweetener. I found that if I steep it for the full 7 minutes and then sweeten it with light agave nectar, it’s actually fairly sweet and delicious. I actually really enjoy this tea now and am quickly powering through, which makes me sad because this tea is limited edition. Overall, now I would recommend the tea, BUT you have to play around with steeping times.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Cinnamon

First time (literally) trying this tea since DAVIDsTea brought this back for Halloween 2015.

Trying too hard not to let ‘Hocus Pocus’ distract me from reviewing this tea.

I’m getting more of a cinnamon taste to this than anything else, but there is a slight after taste that I’m really trying to place, it’s either the chocolate or the coconut or a combination of both.
I can taste the chocolate and the coconut as well as the black tea. The chocolate is a bit bitter, like Dark Chocolate Delight, so I think that masks the coconut taste a bit. (ie: I LOATHE the smell and taste of coconut, but if it’s disguised well in something, I’m usually ok).

The taste isn’t horribly strong, but you do get a punch of flavour with every sip, although I do not like it when it starts to get cold…blech.

It’s not bad, I ordered the Tombstone box with 100g, but I’m not gonna miss this when I finish it.
I loved and miss Swampwater 100x more than I do this, also I was disappointed when they only brought this one back this year, when last year they brought back 3.

I won’t be restocking this tea any time soon and I won’t miss it when it’s gone,

Final tea of the night, Stormy Night for what has turned out to be a very personally stormy night. But this tea is like an old friend who will always be there for me, the spicy vanilla goodness soothing to my very soul.

A sample from Shmiracles. This is an interesting one. Judging from the name and a couple of ingredients, I was expecting quite a dark, moody tea. Instead, it’s actually quite light and refreshing — more summer rain than dark winter, strangely. On the other hand, this would be a good tea to curl up in the warm with on the aforementioned dark, stormy winter night. Its ingredients might even be a pleasant reminder if warmer wather to come.

The initial sip is mostly cinnamon, which is followed by satisfyingly creamy coconut and vanilla. The chocolate comes out last, and lingers long in the aftertaste. It’s milk chocolate, rather than dark, and it seems to bind all of the other flavours together fairly effectively — like a friend in common. Taken together, it actually works better than I expected it to…spicy, sweet, creamy, chocolatey. It’s a warming, comforting cup…perfect with a splash of milk.

I was hoping for something a little darker and more brooding, but I’m pleased with what I actually got. An unusual combination of ingredients, and a pleasant tea to have tried. Thanks again to Shmiracles for sharing this with me!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Had my last cup of this very recently. May it rest in peace… I really liked this blend. It was one of the few chocolate blends that stuck with me. It was very well balanced between tea and blended additions. Tasted wonderfully of coconut, cinnamon, and chocolate all in one, but the black tea flavour was still present throughout the cup. It was a great “curl up with a book in a blanket” tea. I often wonder if I will every find anything like it again.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Earth

I really wanted to like this one, but it’s so high-maintenance that it just isn’t worth it. The first steep is entirely cinnamon. None of the other flavours come out at all, and you’re left with this gross, murky-looking, cinnamon water concoction. The second and third steeps, however, are pretty good and definitely worth it if you have the time to steep it, dump out the first cup, and re-steep. That’s the only way it’s worth it. I’ve actually been mixing it with Cookie Dough or Chocolate Orange and that makes it really yummy. Just a bit of a miss on this one unfortunately.

Not bad. I wasn’t sure if I liked it the first time I had it, it was a little weak but the second time I had it, it somehow really hit the spot and the melted chocolate in it was really yummy. I wouldn’t say this is my favourite, but it’s up there with my better teas

This tea is definitely not one of my favorites. It’s not bad, but I personally find it to be on the weaker side so I like to steep it for a few extra minutes. The chocolate flavor itself is alright, although I’m not a fan of the cinnamon -there isn’t quite enough to be tasty but there is just enough to leave an after taste. Not a bad tea, but not one that I would consider repurchasing. So overall I’m not sad that DAVIDsTEA retired this particular blend from their collection.

Good. You taste cinnamon, not coconut.