Stormy Night (organic)

Black Tea Leaves, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Coconut, Vanilla, Vanilla Flavour
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Bitter, Coconut, Spices, Creamy, Cocoa, Cream, Earth, Nutmeg, Spicy, Caramel
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Saphron Jenene

From DAVIDsTEA

As good as it gets

It was three o’clock in the afternoon on a rainy Friday. David was hungry. He needed a nap, a shave, and a hot meal. What he had was a kettle, a pack of matches, and a bag of black tea. So he grabbed some ingredients and threw them in the water. Chocolate, cinnamon, coconut, vanilla – this drink was a real piece of work. He lifted his cup, took a drink and then another. It was hotter than an inferno and smoother than silk. It was good. Almost too good.

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, chocolate, cinnamon, coconut, vanilla. With natural vanilla flavouring*.

Allergens: Dairy and coconut

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Had high hopes for this tea as it involves all my favorite flavors- chocolate, cinnamon, coconut. Nothing tastes right about this tea and the amount of oil and tea bits floating in this tea made it unappealing. It’s like all the flavors need to be increased. I’ll try it with more tea next time and see if that helps.

Flavors: Bitter, Coconut, Spices

This is a good tea if you like chocolate in your tea. I tend to have this more around October/Halloween time. It tastes strongly of chocolate with a hint of cinnamon-y goodness, and I barely notice the coconut, which is great. This tea is lovely hot, or as a latte. Sweet and chocolatey. It’s all in how you steep the tea, though. Sometimes I get a weird aftertaste with this tea – and sometimes I don’t. I don’t know why.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Creamy

Almost but not quite knocks Chocolate Macaroon Tea off my ‘best chocolate tea’ pedestal.

My cup is creamy and I can taste vanilla and cocoa, but it’s overwhelmed by way too much cinnamon. Take some of the cinnamon out and it would have been perfect.

Tastes best, to me, with milk and some sugar — not because the tea isn’t already sweet, but because sugar brings out the chocolate flavor. I just want the cinnamon to go away so I can taste the chocolate…

Steeping is easier than it is with Chocolate Macaroon. I used 1.5 tsps and steeped for less time, perhaps because this one doesn’t have rock sugar in it.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Earth, Vanilla

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I can see why this is a Halloween tea, because it’s basically Halloween in a cup. That being said, I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I certainly can’t see myself craving this outside the month of October.

But this is October, so it’s not bad. It brings back nostalgic feelings of the fun Halloween is when you’re a kid. The flavour itself is a strange mix of every Halloween candy I can think of — chocolate, caramels, gum, Rockets… There’s also a hint of apple and cinnamon that just gives it a general fall vibe.

The biggest downside is that there’s kind of a chalky aftertaste, particularly as it cools, that’s really off putting. If it weren’t for that I’d give it a higher rank because while it really only is good as a Halloween tea, it does Halloween tea VERY well.

Fjellrev

That’s funny that you get Rockets out of this!

Fay

I know, it’s really strange! I just couldn’t shake it though.

Michelle

I find that aftertaste when it cools as well… Not sure why.

Fay

Well at least I’m not the only one!

I don’t know what to think about this one. It sounded better than it is. Perhaps it needs some sweetener or milk which I don’t use.

Flavors: Cinnamon

This one reminds me of an oatmeal cookie. I like it best while watching a thunder storm, or watching Lost. I wish they’d bring it back. (TOTM DT? Pretty please?)

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I like this tea. I can taste the cinnamon and vanilla and the combination is very appealing. I didn’t really notice the coconut though although you can smell it in the bag.

My absolute favourite that I’ve had over the years since I got into the whole tea loving experience. Was quite sad when it was discontinued at David’s! When I got the email this month that they were “raising it from the dead” for Halloween I was so excited. I immediately ordered 250 grams of it online but now that it’s out of stock again, I’m regretting not ordering more. I’ll just have to slow down and savour what I bought over the next year. Hopefully they raise it again for next Halloween or consider relisting it.

So why do I like it sooo much? I think it’s the complexity, there’s so much going on in it. With chocolate, vanilla, coconut, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, chipotle and ancho chilli ingredients there’s a lot of different flavour accents. Even the appearance of it is awesome. It has a deep amber colour brewed that has a really nice sheen on the surface and the cinnamon and spices are suspended and happily swimming throughout the liquid. In the bag dried, it smells completely decadent with prominent chocolate, vanilla and coconut aromas. Once brewed, the cinnamon and spice aromas come out wonderfully. I love all the different distinct flavours as well as how they mingle and merge.

Only 1 tea receives a score of 100 from me. This is the one.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Coconut, Nutmeg, Spicy, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 6 min, 30 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML
Kristal

Nice! Glad you could benefit for them bringing it back. It’s like me with luscious watermelon in the summer time :)

CelticBrew

Lol nice. It would be so much simpler if we loved things in their permanent collection the same way eh?

Kristal

Ugh yes. On one hand I understand they keep rotations going to pique interest at certain points and to make sure they are making money, but it certainly can lead to frustrated customers. I know I’ve been in DAVIDs and I’ve seen occasional customers asking about getting a tea from 2 years ago, and it turns them off for sure.

I’m not entirely sure what I think of this tea. Before it arrived in my order, I stumbled upon the reviews here and kept note of what everyone was saying. Once it arrived, I noticed that the smell of the dry tea reminded me of oatmeal raisin cookies. I made the tea, and sweetened it with honey. The resulting taste reminded of me burnt chocolate and I definitely understand where everyone is getting “muddy” from. The strong flavors I hoped for all blend together in one big slightly cinnamon and chocolate cup of tea. I don’t even taste the coconut. I might try with light agave nectar to see if maybe that’ll bring out more of the flavors. If not, I’m going to hope that the taste grows on me the more I drink it.

Edit: Ok, I was right. The more I drink this tea, the more it grows on me. I also had to change me steeping time and sweetener. I found that if I steep it for the full 7 minutes and then sweeten it with light agave nectar, it’s actually fairly sweet and delicious. I actually really enjoy this tea now and am quickly powering through, which makes me sad because this tea is limited edition. Overall, now I would recommend the tea, BUT you have to play around with steeping times.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Cinnamon

First time (literally) trying this tea since DAVIDsTea brought this back for Halloween 2015.

Trying too hard not to let ‘Hocus Pocus’ distract me from reviewing this tea.

I’m getting more of a cinnamon taste to this than anything else, but there is a slight after taste that I’m really trying to place, it’s either the chocolate or the coconut or a combination of both.
I can taste the chocolate and the coconut as well as the black tea. The chocolate is a bit bitter, like Dark Chocolate Delight, so I think that masks the coconut taste a bit. (ie: I LOATHE the smell and taste of coconut, but if it’s disguised well in something, I’m usually ok).

The taste isn’t horribly strong, but you do get a punch of flavour with every sip, although I do not like it when it starts to get cold…blech.

It’s not bad, I ordered the Tombstone box with 100g, but I’m not gonna miss this when I finish it.
I loved and miss Swampwater 100x more than I do this, also I was disappointed when they only brought this one back this year, when last year they brought back 3.

I won’t be restocking this tea any time soon and I won’t miss it when it’s gone,