Tung Ting Vietnam

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Cream, Floral, Grass, Hay, Honey, Kale, Lettuce, Mineral, Pine, Vegetal, Sweet, Green, Earth, Milk, Tart, Creamy, Flowers
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Wow I also have to highly recommend this delicious oolong! I got the $1 pack from DT and steeped it for 5 minutes in my perfect mug. I haven’t had the chance to try multiple short steeps, but...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 514 tasting notes
  • “ohhhhh man, finally a tea from DT I love! this is amazing. Well the first steep was. Bright and sweet, and complicated! just the right amount of fresh “green” and oh sooooo good. The...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1545 tasting notes
  • “Shared a pot of this with my roommate tonight thanks to the DT $1 packet of tea promo. I admit that my expectations weren’t super high, but apparently I need to change my views! The dry tea...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3125 tasting notes
  • “I’m not sure what happened with this tea. At first it seemed as though the first steep had a lovely green oolong flavor which quite enjoyed, but with each successive sip I tasted an increasing...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 357 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A fitting tribute

The word “tribute” usually makes us think of cover bands and Vegas shows. But in this case, it refers to an amazing oolong tea from a small garden in Lam Dong, Vietnam, made to celebrate the Tung Ting teas of Taiwan. And unlike most cover bands, this tribute does the original justice. Each leaf is carefully hand-rolled, for a taste that is light, piney and perfectly balanced. But this tea really shines when you drink it “gung fu” style, by steeping it multiple times. Now that’s a tribute we’d like to see more of.

Ingredients: Oolong tea from Lam Dong, Vietnam.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Tung Ting, to be honest I think this is an awesome name for a tea, not sure why but it just rolls off your tongue. I mean it’s not quite as awesome as Iron Goddess of Mercy Oolong (Tie Kwan Yin), but it’s close! Tung Ting Vietnam is straight Oolong # 2 from DAVIDsTEA and the following will be my accounts of my experience while drinking it.

I just pulled the infuser out of my perfect cup and I have to say “HOLY CRAP THE LEAVES ARE GINORMOUS!” I mean I have been drinking a bunch of oolongs lately so the unfurling leaves are not a new sight but this tea is full leaves rolled into balls smaller than peas, very artsy!

The initial taste on this one is slightly sweet and slightly piney but not an aggressive flavor at all, I would say it is perfectly balanced against the natural oolong flavor. The after taste is quiet brief and mild, I can’t describe the exact flavor but it doesn’t linger and it isn’t powerful.

Overall for a straight tea I don’t mind it all that much, it has a palatable flavor a good caffeine kick and is relatively impossible to mess up steeping! This might actually be a straight oolong that I keep in the cupboard on a regular basis.

A really great oolong. Very buttery/creamy with a little hint of vegetal favor.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Grass

I really like this one. It has a sweet mineral taste to it that is very light and refreshing. After the second steep, the flavour is still fairly strong like the first cup. I’m also getting a bit of corn after taste which is delicious. This one is going to be a cupboard staple.

Relatively cheap in comparison to other Oolongs, and still wonderful tasting!

This is absolutely great, and I highly recommend this to any fan of oolongs (especially the pineapple oolong), this is pretty much that (without the pineapple!)

went 8 gongfu steepings with 5.3g in a dayi gaiwan and 85c water from 1:30 up to 10m at first it was buttery nutty and vegital. but as later infusions progressed the tea lost most the nutty and buttery flavors and took on a almost green tea like flavor. grassy green leafy taste. Good tea but not quite on the mark of what it was trying to achieve.

This one is as said in the description, light and piney with a little spice and other fun things. I find it very slightly resembles Quangzhou Milk Oolong (A great one if you haven’t tried it!) but I wouldn’t say they are similar, just a few notes the same (because they’re both oolong obviously) This tea has a very mild gentle calm taste which is what I like sometimes so I quite enjoy it. I sort of agree with Canadianadia where there is an increasing bitterness as it goes on, what I found was there was a little bitterness in the middle of my cup (just slight so it didn’t bother me any) but in the top & bottom it was fine and delicious! I will be buying more of this.

Before I start this review, I have to ask a question. Am I the only person that is a little turned off by the number of flavored teas DAVIDsTEA produces? I really prefer my tea unflavored and I would probably order from DAVIDsTEA more frequently if I didn’t have to wade through page after page of gimmicky flavored blends. Maybe it’s just me. At least they offer some solid unflavored teas.

The folks at DAVIDsTEA recommend brewing 1-1.5 teaspoons of this tea in 6-8 ounces of 185 F water for anywhere from 4-7 minutes. I, on the other hand, opted to brew this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of this tea in 4 ounces of 190 F water for 20 seconds. I then performed 7 additional infusions with an addition of 2 seconds per infusion (22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34 seconds). I found the results very interesting.

The first infusion did not really do much for me. The aroma was very mild, with subtle grass, hay, sesame, and butter aromas underscored by faint floral scents. In the mouth, I detected the expected notes of butter, cream, grass, toasted sesame, and hay underscored by slight woody and floral characteristics. Steeps 2-4 were much more robust, offering stronger aromas and flavors of hay, grass, butter, cream, sesame, and flowers (I couldn’t really determine what they reminded me of, and though orchid and magnolia kept coming to mind, neither the aroma nor the taste exactly fit that description). I also detected a subtle woodiness reminiscent of pine and a slight minerality. On steeps 5-8, the floral, cream, sesame, and butter aromas and flavors gave way to more intense grass, hay, and wood aromas and flavors. Even more vegetal notes emerged. They kind of reminded me of a combination of leaf lettuce and cooked kale. The minerality was also much more pronounced, particularly on the last two infusions.

This is an interesting, yet approachable oolong. In my opinion, it does not quite match the intensity or complexity of some traditional Taiwanese Tung Ting oolongs, but it is still very nice. I could see this being an excellent oolong for beginners because the combination of aromas and flavors is not off-putting or overly complicated, and though the flavor does indeed change over the course of multiple infusions, it does not change radically or in an unpredictable manner.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Floral, Grass, Hay, Honey, Kale, Lettuce, Mineral, Pine, Vegetal

190 °F / 87 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Evol Ving Ness

Hehehe, from my perspective, DTs flavoured teas used to be really good, most of them anyway. Lately, they’ve tended towards overly imitation flavours and over the top artificial sweetness. Yuck. Many of their plain teas have been winners though.

eastkyteaguy

I feel the exact same way. I’m hoping they start to emphasize their unflavored teas at some point.

Evol Ving Ness

Yeah, I don’t think that’s going to happen. It seems to me that they tend to trot their 3 or 4 quality plain teas out when they’ve had a run of innovation on their flavoured teas and have gone so far that they completely risk losing people who are not interested in soda pop versions of tea.

But one can hope.

MrQuackers

There are a ton of flavoured teas at David’s tea. That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, if it helps them pay the rent. You could still probably walk in and walk out with 10 good quality teas that have no flavouring. Let’s see: Ceremonial Matcha, Oolong Supreme, Ceylon Supreme, Dragonwell, Bai Mu Dan, Genmaicha, Sencha, A Gyokuro, Assam, Lapsang, and several more greens and blacks. I think the persons tea budget might be stretched thin though :)

Evol Ving Ness

While those are good teas, I am guessing that people who are truly into tea do not only do their straight tea shopping at DT. However, DTs has done a super job of introducing newbies to the world of tea via flavoured teas.

MrQuackers

I think here is the point though: if you were going to buy various different types of tea. You could buy at Davids and get good quality tea in each category. Does anyone soley do their shopping at one place? Hmm.

MrQuackers

My second point is this. Even 10 years ago tea shops were selling a mix of flavoured tea along with regional teas. So what I am saying is that this is nothing new. I have been in high quality independently owned shops with extremely experiernced owners and they have sold a variety of teas as well.

I wasn’t originally interested n trying this one…untilI heard it had been discontinued. I was lucky to find one location that still had some left. Made it in a gaiwan. After a 15 sec rinse, so far I’ve had two 40 sec steeps. It brewed a pale green-yellow colour. The taste was closer to a green tea. It was mildly floral and vegetal. Very light though. No overpowering flavours or scents. I’m curious to see how this taste may evolve with subsequent steeps. I may also increase steep time though I like the lightness.

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 45 sec 6 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Just brewed this up western style this morning. This is quite good. It has a certain natural sweetness to it. It has a little bit to vegetal or grassy notes to it. It is a bit creamy. Hopefully next time I will have the time to gongfu this.

I brewed this once in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 2 tsp leaf and 185 degree water for 4 minutes.