Tung Ting Vietnam

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Cream, Floral, Milk, Tart, Vegetal, Creamy, Butter, Flowers, Grass
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

A fitting tribute

The word “tribute” usually makes us think of cover bands and Vegas shows. But in this case, it refers to an amazing oolong tea from a small garden in Lam Dong, Vietnam, made to celebrate the Tung Ting teas of Taiwan. And unlike most cover bands, this tribute does the original justice. Each leaf is carefully hand-rolled, for a taste that is light, piney and perfectly balanced. But this tea really shines when you drink it “gung fu” style, by steeping it multiple times. Now that’s a tribute we’d like to see more of.

Ingredients: Oolong tea from Lam Dong, Vietnam.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Tung Ting, to be honest I think this is an awesome name for a tea, not sure why but it just rolls off your tongue. I mean it’s not quite as awesome as Iron Goddess of Mercy Oolong (Tie Kwan Yin), but it’s close! Tung Ting Vietnam is straight Oolong # 2 from DAVIDsTEA and the following will be my accounts of my experience while drinking it.

I just pulled the infuser out of my perfect cup and I have to say “HOLY CRAP THE LEAVES ARE GINORMOUS!” I mean I have been drinking a bunch of oolongs lately so the unfurling leaves are not a new sight but this tea is full leaves rolled into balls smaller than peas, very artsy!

The initial taste on this one is slightly sweet and slightly piney but not an aggressive flavor at all, I would say it is perfectly balanced against the natural oolong flavor. The after taste is quiet brief and mild, I can’t describe the exact flavor but it doesn’t linger and it isn’t powerful.

Overall for a straight tea I don’t mind it all that much, it has a palatable flavor a good caffeine kick and is relatively impossible to mess up steeping! This might actually be a straight oolong that I keep in the cupboard on a regular basis.

A really great oolong. Very buttery/creamy with a little hint of vegetal favor.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Grass

I really like this one. It has a sweet mineral taste to it that is very light and refreshing. After the second steep, the flavour is still fairly strong like the first cup. I’m also getting a bit of corn after taste which is delicious. This one is going to be a cupboard staple.

Relatively cheap in comparison to other Oolongs, and still wonderful tasting!

This is absolutely great, and I highly recommend this to any fan of oolongs (especially the pineapple oolong), this is pretty much that (without the pineapple!)

went 8 gongfu steepings with 5.3g in a dayi gaiwan and 85c water from 1:30 up to 10m at first it was buttery nutty and vegital. but as later infusions progressed the tea lost most the nutty and buttery flavors and took on a almost green tea like flavor. grassy green leafy taste. Good tea but not quite on the mark of what it was trying to achieve.

This one is as said in the description, light and piney with a little spice and other fun things. I find it very slightly resembles Quangzhou Milk Oolong (A great one if you haven’t tried it!) but I wouldn’t say they are similar, just a few notes the same (because they’re both oolong obviously) This tea has a very mild gentle calm taste which is what I like sometimes so I quite enjoy it. I sort of agree with Canadianadia where there is an increasing bitterness as it goes on, what I found was there was a little bitterness in the middle of my cup (just slight so it didn’t bother me any) but in the top & bottom it was fine and delicious! I will be buying more of this.

“rare oolong from small garden in Lam Don, Vietnam” the package says… Well, it can’t be that small if David’s Tea can sell it all around. Anyways, this tea looks nice but taste no different than Muyi’s dong oolong I bought in Japan for $3 (1.8ounces) so I really can’t rate this high because Muyi’s quality wasn’t that good compared to other darker green oolongs that are out there.

Hmm, something from David’s Tea that I don’t totally hate – what a pleasant surprise :)

This is a rolled green Vietnamese oolong in the style of Tung Ting oolongs from Taiwan. I steeped this in my yixing teapot this afternoon. The tea liquor is very light but flavorful. It’s not as fruity as the high mountain oolong I had the other day. Light, buttery, a bit grassy with pine notes. The weather has been pretty warm and spring like here and I am enjoying green oolongs a bit more than I have for the past year or so.

This is a pretty solid, good choice for an oolong. Not as buttery as some, which may be good depending on your preference. I’ve been doing shorter steeps but will have to try it at one long steep Western style soon. I got 3 good steeps out if it, but it started to fade after steep #4.

I think this is the best tea I’ve made with my gaiwan so far!

Its quite nice. I started off with a 15 second steep and added 5-10 seconds for each one after.

There’s a slight mineral taste, a general ‘green’ kind of taste, and the first couple steeps had a nice silkyness to them, slightly buttery. I’m on a 5th or 6th steep now?? and its tasting slightly the way cornsilk smells! Nice.

5 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

Got a tin of this in the store fairly recently. I brewed it according to instructions, and it was quite good. Very, very mild astringency. Produced a clear golden beige liquor. Has a light floral scent to it and a slightly milky and creamy taste reminiscent of a milk oolong, but more subtle. Also has a slightly tart after taste. However, it was too subtle and weak for my tastes. I upped the temperature to 190-195 degrees but kept the 4 minute steep time as i craved a slightly more bitter taste (I can be weird like that haha). The brew had the same color liquor Had almost the same taste (a bit stronger in every aspect) as the recommended 175 degree steep time but had that bitterness i craved.

Flavors: Cream, Floral, Milk, Tart, Vegetal