Tung Ting Vietnam

Oolong Tea
Butter, Cream, Grass, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Wow I also have to highly recommend this delicious oolong! I got the $1 pack from DT and steeped it for 5 minutes in my perfect mug. I haven't had the chance to try multiple short steeps, but I...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “ohhhhh man, finally a tea from DT I love! this is amazing. Well the first steep was. Bright and sweet, and complicated! just the right amount of fresh "green" and oh sooooo good. The flavour really...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1258 tasting notes
  • “Shared a pot of this with my roommate tonight thanks to the DT $1 packet of tea promo. I admit that my expectations weren't super high, but apparently I need to change my views! The dry tea of...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I’m not sure what happened with this tea. At first it seemed as though the first steep had a lovely green oolong flavor which quite enjoyed, but with each successive sip I tasted an increasing...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A fitting tribute

The word “tribute” usually makes us think of cover bands and Vegas shows. But in this case, it refers to an amazing oolong tea from a small garden in Lam Dong, Vietnam, made to celebrate the Tung Ting teas of Taiwan. And unlike most cover bands, this tribute does the original justice. Each leaf is carefully hand-rolled, for a taste that is light, piney and perfectly balanced. But this tea really shines when you drink it “gung fu” style, by steeping it multiple times. Now that’s a tribute we’d like to see more of.

Ingredients: Oolong tea from Lam Dong, Vietnam.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Tung Ting, to be honest I think this is an awesome name for a tea, not sure why but it just rolls off your tongue. I mean it’s not quite as awesome as Iron Goddess of Mercy Oolong (Tie Kwan Yin), but it’s close! Tung Ting Vietnam is straight Oolong # 2 from DAVIDsTEA and the following will be my accounts of my experience while drinking it.

I just pulled the infuser out of my perfect cup and I have to say “HOLY CRAP THE LEAVES ARE GINORMOUS!” I mean I have been drinking a bunch of oolongs lately so the unfurling leaves are not a new sight but this tea is full leaves rolled into balls smaller than peas, very artsy!

The initial taste on this one is slightly sweet and slightly piney but not an aggressive flavor at all, I would say it is perfectly balanced against the natural oolong flavor. The after taste is quiet brief and mild, I can’t describe the exact flavor but it doesn’t linger and it isn’t powerful.

Overall for a straight tea I don’t mind it all that much, it has a palatable flavor a good caffeine kick and is relatively impossible to mess up steeping! This might actually be a straight oolong that I keep in the cupboard on a regular basis.

A really great oolong. Very buttery/creamy with a little hint of vegetal favor.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Grass

I really like this one. It has a sweet mineral taste to it that is very light and refreshing. After the second steep, the flavour is still fairly strong like the first cup. I’m also getting a bit of corn after taste which is delicious. This one is going to be a cupboard staple.

Relatively cheap in comparison to other Oolongs, and still wonderful tasting!

This is absolutely great, and I highly recommend this to any fan of oolongs (especially the pineapple oolong), this is pretty much that (without the pineapple!)

went 8 gongfu steepings with 5.3g in a dayi gaiwan and 85c water from 1:30 up to 10m at first it was buttery nutty and vegital. but as later infusions progressed the tea lost most the nutty and buttery flavors and took on a almost green tea like flavor. grassy green leafy taste. Good tea but not quite on the mark of what it was trying to achieve.

This one is as said in the description, light and piney with a little spice and other fun things. I find it very slightly resembles Quangzhou Milk Oolong (A great one if you haven’t tried it!) but I wouldn’t say they are similar, just a few notes the same (because they’re both oolong obviously) This tea has a very mild gentle calm taste which is what I like sometimes so I quite enjoy it. I sort of agree with Canadianadia where there is an increasing bitterness as it goes on, what I found was there was a little bitterness in the middle of my cup (just slight so it didn’t bother me any) but in the top & bottom it was fine and delicious! I will be buying more of this.

Had this one for a bit. I don’t know too much about oolongs, but I know I like this. Steeped western-style for lack of a pot, for 4-5 minutes, adding about 30 seconds a steep.

The dry leaf is the closest you’ll get to the ‘piney’ flavor they advertise, as there is sort of a resin smell to the neat little balls mixed with what I assume is what people call ‘oolonginess’, a mellow, vegetal scent that I can not find an adequate comparison for. Rinsed in near-boiling water for probably not quite enough time, as the leaves didn’t quite start to unfurl after I drained it. First steep I was afraid I’d scalded it, since it tasted sort of light and was missing that sweet, rough edge I’d tasted previous times. I haven’t had this one in a while due to being away for work, and I was afraid I’d just convinced myself I’d liked this to justify buying it. However, subsequent steeps in slightly cooler water intensified the natural sugariness. I’m on cup 3 now, and it has the sweet, mountain-water flavor I remember, with a faint lingering aftertaste like steamed green beans in the front of my mouth and plenty of the rock candy in the back. Something bracingly unrefined about the flavor that I really like, particularly if I feel sluggish or dull. All about this until someone shows me something better.

If you like oolongs and want to try drinking out of a waterfall, I would absolutely recommend this.

Update: Made some more today. I said the resininess was only in the dry leaf, but today I got a good taste of it in my first cup. Maybe because I washed them properly today? Maybe I used a different temperature of water? I’m not sure.

Other Update: Cold-brewed a glass of it after steeping it twice today, western-style, extra leaf. The result is brilliantly lime green, astringent, a little bitter (but in a way that I like in iced tea) and vaguely reminiscent of honeydew melon. Wouldn’t brew it this way on it’s own, but a good use for well-washed but still useable leaves that you just don’t have time to properly steep.

Very nice delicate flavour, a little more punchy then the milk oolong which is my usual favourite, this may become my new favourite.

This is one of my favourite oolongs. It tastes lighter than other oolongs I have tried (Which I like!). The liqour is a nice golden brown colour, and isn’t too dark.

The flavour consists of a light, sweet taste followed by a bold nutty flavour. It is perfect for a mid-afternoon drink, or even as a morning starter.