Jasmine Black Pearls (organic)

Bamboo, Wood, Chocolate, Flowers, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Trying these bad boys tonight. I bought a sample of them in October when I learned that the DT closest to me actually got a stock of them. I had resisted before based on not knowing how I feel...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 682 tasting notes
  • “I am lucky friends! Our DT in the mall received this by mistake! They have to send it back because they don't have a tin for it - but in the meantime... we get to drink it! And buy it... so it'll...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “My friend picked me up some of these and sent me them. And finally I am trying them. I used 4 pearls for 12 oz of water, and steeped them for 4 minutes. The other jasmine black tea I've had...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! 844. This wasn't my favourite tea by a fair bit, but I figured it would work reasonably well in a travel mug as a tastier-than-hot-water beverage to be consumed while watching soccer. I...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A novel tea

Black pearls, black jasmine teas and Chinese black teas are all extremely rare. So what do you get when you combine all three? A seriously special, super-rare, once-in-a-lifetime tea. And we’re super excited to announce that it’s a DAVIDsTEA exclusive! But this hand-rolled tea is more than just a pretty face: it’s rich, floral and uniquely refreshing. With its delicate jasmine aroma, caramel notes and lingering wild honey sweetness, it’s definitely a taste worth seeking out.

Ingredients: Organic black tea pearls from Hunnan Province, China, scented with jasmine blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Trying these bad boys tonight. I bought a sample of them in October when I learned that the DT closest to me actually got a stock of them. I had resisted before based on not knowing how I feel about jasmine, but the smell is just hypnotic. I have had jasmine in other teas but always have this fear in the back of my mind that it will be too strong and perfumey – despite that never having happened!

The dry smell of these pearls (really, like the Teavivre pearls, they are about the size of marbles. SO beautiful!) is sweet jasmine with a hint of bitter black tea underneath. I’m thinking the sweetness of the jasmine is so striking that it makes the black tea seem bitter in contrast, hopefully I don’t get any of that once steeped.

The beau and I did 4 pearls to our medium pot, steeped at 95 degrees for about three minutes. The first cup was basic black tea, a bit mild with a hint of sweet. Thre was a hint of jasmine at the back of the sip, but it was so unassuming that I almost thought it was just part of the tea itself. The second cup has quite a bit of astringency, but no bitterness. I’m thinking some crumbs may have been in the pot and continued steeping. The jasmine is stronger here too, it rounds out the tea quite nicely, but the tea itself is a bit too one-dimensional. I would like to get some malt or chocolate here, something with a bit of depth to balance the jasmine.

All that said, this is a nice tea. This is a special tea. I get that. This is NOT an amazing tea. For the price ($14 for 50 grams) I was pretty disappointed. I would much rather have Teavivre’s black pearls or Davids Yunnan Black. While I will definitely re-steep this and enjoy the remains of my 20 gram sample (about 20 pearls) I won’t be buying more. Hopefully I remember to try to steep it a little differently next time and see if I can improve it. If it cost less, it would get higher rating but at that price point I expect my tea to be more interesting. I think a better base tea could have made a big difference here.

Uniquity

The beau “really likes it” and would give it a 90. He says he gets some peppery notes from the dregs of the pot. I really hope I can improve my opinion of this one.

LiberTEAS

This one intrigues me because it’s a black JASMINE pearl … and I love me some jasmine, so long as it’s done right.

DaisyChubb

Good point about the price point! This is one I enjoyed getting in store to-go, just because I could get 4 pearls that way to one cup and not feel guilty about it. haha!

Uniquity

I will say that the second steep was much better than the first – I may have under-steeped initially. I still think it’s way too pricey, but it’s definitely nice. Drinkable, but not the liquid gold I would expect at that price. : )

Tina S.

I’m not a jasmine girl but this one was tempting. I got to try it in the store when the staff had brewed up a tasting mini-pot for themselves. My store wasn’t supposed to get it so the girls were grabbing it while they could. It wasn’t a bad tea, but I definitely agree that I don’t think it is quite worth the price point.

Uniquity

It seems like every store had it – though many of them had to send it back. I wonder what was up with that! : )

Tina S.

I was just sad they didn’t get the two I actually wanted to try and have to travel into Toronto to get. :(

Uniquity

I was super interested in the Gyokuro Black (I didn’t even know such a thing existed!) but nowhere near here got that one.

Nik

Awesome review, thank you!

Thanks Nik!

I am lucky friends!
Our DT in the mall received this by mistake! They have to send it back because they don’t have a tin for it – but in the meantime… we get to drink it! And buy it… so it’ll probably be gone in no time and they will have nothing to send back. Yay!

mmmmm
It is SO good! I was a little scared because I got it to go, but then headed downstairs and had to do a bunch of work errands, so it had steeped fr about an hour. O_O Took a sip to prepare for the bitterness – of which there was none.

There was a sweetness, like honey! There was a maltiness and a smooooothness from the yummy black base – and a brightening sharpness from the jasmine. I say sharpness, but actually the Jasmine is really the perfect amount. It doesn’t overwhelm, it just dances along with the rest of the notes and makes me happy.

I need these in my life! No money though (I got my mug for $1 with the promo!) – but I’ll have to make an online order in time and I might just pop some of this in it. mm!

Uniquity

Spring Garden got them too (for good!) Just a heads up – I just went in and picked some up. Expensive, but light and the sales assistant said that 2 pearls will do a cup!

DaisyChubb

niiice! Oh I can totally see that – I had 5 pearls for my rather large travel press and it was more than enough. I bet they last forever if you keep re-steeping them too!

Thanks for the heads up, now I know where I can get my fix ;) Now.. to find that genmai hojicha…

Uniquity

None of the Halifax ones have the Gyokuro Black which bums me out.

I used 4 pearls for 12 oz of water, and steeped them for 4 minutes.

The other jasmine black tea I’ve had tasted like candy coated chocolate. I loved it so much. I get the feeling these might be a bit different. Also I’m wondering in the ingredients if that’s a typo and meant to be Yunnan or if it is Hunan.

Anyway yes this one does not have that Cadbury mini eggs taste. It’s much more floral and tastes very much like honey.

I much prefer non-jasmine black pearls, but I couldn’t pass up the chance to try these. I’ve never seen jasmine black pearls ever, so to me it was worth the price to at least try them. But I just feel like I’m losing out on the maltiness and cocoa notes that I like about black pearls because the honey notes are so strong, and combined with jasmine it tastes a lot like honeysuckle.

I will definitely steep them again because maybe there will be less jasmine now, and I’d be curious to try them out in the gaiwan.

But it is nice to drink them and sit here with Tucker. He is laying next to me and snoring.

I was going to steep it again after dinner and my mom wanted to have some! Gasp. So I steeped it a second time of 4 min, and a third of 5. After that the leaves smelled more chocolatey/malty so I was excited this would be better. And indeed it was! Malty, earthy notes finally came out, and the jasmine was far more subtle but still present.

Autumn Hearth

Do you remember where the other jasmine black was from?

momo

Yes, it’s from thepuriTea, I think it’s called Yunnan Black Jasmine or something like that.

Ze_Teamaker

This post just makes me want to try them more. I don’t really like Jasmine, but the fact that it is with black tea intriqes me

Tea Sipper

You should try Zentealife.com’s Phoenix Pearls! They are my absolute favorite!

momo

I have a sample size somewhere at home.

Sipdown! 844.

This wasn’t my favourite tea by a fair bit, but I figured it would work reasonably well in a travel mug as a tastier-than-hot-water beverage to be consumed while watching soccer. I was right. It was actually even tastier than I remember it being last time – strangely enough, it kind of tasted like root beer to me, with the combo of the malty black and the jasmine. I enjoyed it enough that if this tea was easily available, I would consider picking up a bit more of it.

I looked at my note from last time, and it looks like overleafing and possibly oversteeping may have been issues – I think I used 8 pearls (all that was left) this time, for 16 oz., and only infused for 3 minutes. While the jasmine is unmistakeable and fairly dominant, a delicious chocolatey black also emerges from behind the floral notes, which definitely makes me wish that they sold non-jasmine black pearls, as I’ll bet these are delicious just in themselves! Boosting the rating, because this is not bad at all.

Terri HarpLady

This one sounds interesting to me. I’ve been collecting Black Pearls, so that I can compare them. I’ve got Adagio’s sample, & am awaiting Pearls from Mandala & thepuritea (I’m really excited about their Red Dragon Pearl). I may add this one to the mix…just to try it out…

I got an oz of this and an oz of Mom’s Apple pie when I bought a Timolino recently. I like these pearls. 4 to my cup at work seems to be a good thing. 3 is too weak. I like how the black tea and jasmine in this seem to bring out some cocoa flavors- at least to me. I never really like jasmine in combo with green tea, but with black tea it’s heavenly.

I have seen these pearls on steepster, & Jeweled Thumb was kind enough to send me a sample. I finally got a chance to try them out today, & although they were ok, they weren’t really my thing. I do enjoy a good jasmine tea from time to time, but today it just didn’t do it for me.
It’s probably me, rather than the tea.
However, thanks to Jeweled Thumb for sharing it with me!
And that’s a sipdown!

jeweledthumb

Sorry you weren’t a fan, BUT you don’t know how chuffed I am to see your review! =)

Terri HarpLady

Nothing to be sorry about! I appreciate the opportunity to sample it, all the same! Thanks!

Tea Sipper

I just thought yesterday that jasmine doesn’t seem like it would go with black tea.

Dry Leaf Nose: Strong notes of jasmine, underpinned with the rich aroma of a classic China black Hunnan type tea.

Liquor: Golden brown and clear – so clear and visually crisp that it almost glows!

Flavour: Jasmine and Hunnan type black tea notes are beautifully balanced in this blend. The jasmine hits the palate nose first, gentle with only the most appealing and sweet, floral jasmine character. Immediately following are rich caramel notes of fine black, very oxidized tea. A delicate wild honey note rises in the background with a hint of sweet garden soil in the finish.The overall has a delightfully refreshing and palate cleansing character that lingers well without overpowering the palate.

aimeejp

this one is amazing! i loved it!

I snagged this tea with my last DT order. Actually it’s my roommate’s tea, but I’m tempted to steal one of two packages we got.

JBP actually surprised me – first sip, piping hot was bitter and bleh. I let it sit for 5 minutes and the tea powers took hold. A very smooth, lightish black tea with forestfloor woody qualities, with a light moderate jasmine floral. Lots of honey sweetness and brain twisting raisin notes.
Later steepings, JBP came out more floral and developed spice notes.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl

This tea is on webspecial for 50% off with it only listed there and not the black tea section. I’d snag it quick before it’s gone!

I had these a while back and didn’t log. I’ve been neglectful. :(

In any case, I found these pearls to be disappointing. The jasmine was pretty mild and the base none too exciting. I think my expectations were a bit high. I love the look of the pearls, but the taste was not memorable. It was a tad malty with a honeyed flavor. Nice but I won’t be buying again.

This one is a big thanks to Terri Harplady that included in the HH teabox a while back! Enough for one cup (five pearls) so this is also a sipdown! Jasmine pearls! Unique! I don’t think I’ve had many jasmine black teas before. Both steeps and both were pretty equal: delicious. Though I must say that I like when the pearls aren’t jasmine flavored so I can taste and appreciate the chocolate malt that these pearls usually have. It was kind of tough to find those notes here… maybe the jasmine was too distracting. The sweet tasting jasmine was the perfect amount. This was a nice change, but I think I like my plain ol’ chocolatey pearls.

Also, this was so impossible to find in the new search that I just searched for these through my cupboard. It seems anything from David’s is impossible to find right now. It seems I have to search for exactly ‘DAVIDsTEA’ now and not just ‘David’ like I used to. I miss the old search!