Jasmine Black Pearls (organic)

Bamboo, Jasmine, Sweet, Wood, Chocolate, Flowers, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Trying these bad boys tonight. I bought a sample of them in October when I learned that the DT closest to me actually got a stock of them. I had resisted before based on not knowing how I feel...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 688 tasting notes
  • “I am lucky friends! Our DT in the mall received this by mistake! They have to send it back because they don't have a tin for it - but in the meantime... we get to drink it! And buy it... so it'll...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “My friend picked me up some of these and sent me them. And finally I am trying them. I used 4 pearls for 12 oz of water, and steeped them for 4 minutes. The other jasmine black tea I've had...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1196 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! 844. This wasn't my favourite tea by a fair bit, but I figured it would work reasonably well in a travel mug as a tastier-than-hot-water beverage to be consumed while watching soccer. I...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2244 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A novel tea

Black pearls, black jasmine teas and Chinese black teas are all extremely rare. So what do you get when you combine all three? A seriously special, super-rare, once-in-a-lifetime tea. And we’re super excited to announce that it’s a DAVIDsTEA exclusive! But this hand-rolled tea is more than just a pretty face: it’s rich, floral and uniquely refreshing. With its delicate jasmine aroma, caramel notes and lingering wild honey sweetness, it’s definitely a taste worth seeking out.

Ingredients: Organic black tea pearls from Hunnan Province, China, scented with jasmine blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I brought this to work on my thermos for my late morning – afternoon tea.
This note is somewhat of a combined effort from the last few times I have drank this.

This tea is wonderful. First off, I LOVE Jasmine. I have yet to try a Jasmine tea that I dislike. I love the earthy-sweet smell of Jasmine. I love the lightly tingy taste of Jasmine.

This tea is a GREAT example of Jasmine. Also, a BLACK tea in PEARL form WITH Jasmine just makes me skweee! I love everything about it. To picking the pearls out of the container to steep, the smell, to the lightly flavored taste. I have drank Jasmine pearls before (green) before and they were always Much smaller. These are more like marble sized whereas the others were more like mini ball bearings.

Also, my purchase of this tea was my first (personal) example of the delightful customer service at Davids. The store only had approx 2.3 oz left. Rather then make me buy the required amount to get the free tin – because they did not have enough to make it to that amount they just gave me the tin! Very nice, and not expected.

Yesterday was a dreary October day on the Prairies and my toddler was driving me crazy. So, I packed her up, got on the bus, and headed downtown to see what my DAVIDsTEA had in store.

Ended up with 50g of Pumpkin Chai, 2 sample packets of the new teas, and a delicious take-away cup of this. Not a bad haul for under $10! Except now I’m regretting not buying some more of this because Holy-Mother-of-Moses it is everything they said it would be! And my store wasn’t even supposed to get some!

Others have described this better than I could, so I’ll say this: it’s malty with hints of honey and a light floral finish from the jasmine. I might have a new contender for my perennial favourite Nepal Black! Try this if you have the chance, you won’t regret it.

Faith

Also worth noting 50g gets you about 50 pearls (thus 25 cups if you’re using 2 pearls per cup) meaning each pearl is about 1g. Just bought some today and had to count them…

Pleasant sticky sweetness. Light maltiness of the black coming through. Jasmine floral taste is present.

Iced 4 min, 0 sec

Three pearls for 250mL water @ 94C, steeped 4 minutes, drunk bare.

The packet copy reccommends a 5-minute steep, which is probably worth trying … or using 4 pearks at a time. My first infusion here is a bit weak …

Sweet black Hunnan with a clean finish, and some gentle honey and jasmine notes. Not a ravishing jasmine, but refreshing, and a lovely change from a green jasmine. A slightly stale note on the finish, as if either the tea leaf or the jasmine got exposed to too much air. Not sure this one lives up to the hype, but it is lovely.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Sorry — pearks = pearls.

Amariel

So the jasmine was mild then? I like jasmine, but only when it is not too strong.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Quite mild. As is the black tea part.

Sipping this one down tonight, and bumping up this rating. This is really very good. I hope to have this in my cupboard again soon.

This has been my go-to tea at work and I can get 3 steepings easily out of 2 pearls in a 16oz steeping mug. Something about the scent calms me down in a slightly hectic office. It’s warm, gives me a little zing to start my day and tastes good too. I’ve been ignoring all of my other tea samples in the office because of these little gems!

Terri HarpLady

I’m still curious about this one. I’ve tried several pearls now, but none with jasmine in them.

jeweledthumb

Terry, just send me your mailing address and I’ll send you a few!

jeweledthumb

Terri, just PM me your mailing address and I’ll send you a few!

Revising my review. I recently had a really bad Jasmine Pearls, and this made me appreciate this tea a little more!

The jasmine is actually acceptable, and while I don’t like it with a black tea base I can appreciate this tea for what it is, a good flavored black tea.

When I was told 2 weeks ago by an employee that they were getting this tea, I was excited. I bought a 100g today, and I was eager to try it. It did not disappoint.

The pearls have a strong floral smell. Obviously it smells like jasmine with a hint of lilac (keep in mind I’m still recovering from a cold). The taste is very refreshing, perfect after a copious dinner. I don’t get the caramel and honey notes they are mentioning. I was hoping for the Yunnan black tea to be more present, but I’m still satisfied. It’s exactly what you’d expect of a good jasmine tea.

Highly recommeded.

I took a trip to David’s Tea today because I wanted to get some stuff for the office. I started working again after a year and a half of Mat Leave (and extended Leave).

They had this tea, along with Mint Julep and Stormy Night, in the 2 for $5 bin (25 grams each). So, I picked this up, 1 of MJ and 2 of SN. I wished they had more in the bin, but sadly there was only 1 packet there.

Holy. Moly. WOW!

I LOVE it! I didn’t use too hot of water, but it came out perfect! Mellow, and smooth! Really smooth! I love it!

jeweledthumb

This is one of my all time favorites and $2.50 for 25 grams is a steal!

20monkies

I think this has also become one of my faves! :D it really is a steal, considering how much it actually sells for!

These Jasmine pearls are HUGE. I’m used to the tiny little green tea pearls, so this was a bit of a shocker.

Steeped per the package (3 balls in 1 cup water), the first go was very floral, with that bit of astringency I expect from most black teas. It was fun sitting there watching the balls unfurl! This tea doesn’t need sweetener or milky stuff as it didn’t become bitter, but I greatly prefer black teas with something in them. The second steep I’ve added a bit of honey, and I like it a bit better. For some reason, adding milk to a jasmine tea just doesn’t work in my head. I might try it though, because this has the potential to make an excellent tea latte.

These aren’t bad by any means, just not completely to my taste. If you love your black teas without milk and/or sugar, then this would probably be a good tea for you. I think I like Jasmine green tea pearls better, so upon considering the cost I don’t think I’m going to buy more of this one. (Though if someone gave me some as a gift I certainly wouldn’t say no!)

(Edit: 1 month later, I gave what I had left to a friend who loves jasmine tea. If I want some I can just go to her house and have a cup!)