Jasmine Black Pearls (organic)

Astringent, Jasmine, Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Smoke, Bitter, Sweet, Wood, Floral, Smooth, Bamboo, Flowers, Malt
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Fay

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

A novel tea

Black pearls, black jasmine teas and Chinese black teas are all extremely rare. So what do you get when you combine all three? A seriously special, super-rare, once-in-a-lifetime tea. And we’re super excited to announce that it’s a DAVIDsTEA exclusive! But this hand-rolled tea is more than just a pretty face: it’s rich, floral and uniquely refreshing. With its delicate jasmine aroma, caramel notes and lingering wild honey sweetness, it’s definitely a taste worth seeking out.

Ingredients: Organic black tea pearls from Hunnan Province, China, scented with jasmine blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I picked up this tea using my Frequent Steeper rewards. I had wanted to try it for many months, but waited for the rewards points to come though, since it is a more expensive tea. I tried it last night and it was pretty good! I had it as a hot latte and enjoyed the jasmine infusion. It is not a new favourite, but it was a solid tea that I look forward to drinking again. For me, the black base and the jasmine flavour worked well together. As it is quite pricey and I do not LOVE it, I think I would only pick it up again with my frequent steeper rewards. It is a very nice tea to have once in a while, but I would not want to have it every day. But I am sure glad I tried it!

tanyasew

Okay, I am upping the rating. I had a feeling that I might do this. I often need a few days to come to an opinion on new things (tea, movies, books, etc.). I found myself craving this tea in the days after the first tasting. Plus, I tested it against the Black Dragon Pearls of Teavana (which was not Jasmine infused, but cocoa infused) and I definitely, hands down preferred the Jasmine Black Pearls from David’s. It is not an overwhelming flavour, more subtle, but I really like it. I think this may become one of my regular teas to pick up with my Frequent Steeper points. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a try and see what you think. I know this tea will not be for everyone, but I really like it! I am giving the tea a 90, up from the original 84 that I gave it.

This is not a tea I would typically go for. It’s a straight black tea, which rarely appeals to me, as well as rather pricy. However my boyfriend LOVES green jasmine pearls and given I had several free 50g teas from DAVID’s I figured it might be fun to try something different.

For what it is, I really do like this one. It’s a little astringent, but for now I’ll attribute that to steeping it a little longer than I should have. The strongest notes in this are the jasmine and creamy dark caramel. In the middle of the sip, there’s a fairly strong earthy note, while towards to end there’s a slight smokiness. Occasionally there’s a hint of chocolate to, which mixes well with the caramel. This won’t be something I go for everyday, but it’s very different from anything else I have in my cupboard and I don’t regret my selection.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Jasmine, Smoke

I prefer jasmine in green teas. This one is not bad, but I think the robustness of the black leaves overpowers too much the nice flowery flavour of jasmine. So nice though to see those little grey balls open up like flowers. DT is definitely overpricing this item so I won’t buy again.

I like this tea, it has different flavours throughout the drinking experience. I get jasmine, wood, smoke, sweet, caramel and a touch bitter (on the second steep). It is also a fun tea to steep, the cute little spheres open up, very pleasing.

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Jasmine, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

My friend bought me tea today! Yay! I feel so loved! I decided to try this tea. I’ve never had a straight black tea from DT, so I was really excited! It smelled so lovely! I’m not sure how many pearls were in my cup because I got it to go and I never thought to ask. My first sip was sooo yummy! Then I drove home. Aaaaaaand my tea bag was still in my tea. Aaaaaand now it is almost too strong to drink :( Too floral for my taste right now! (The tea itself was soooo dark, and in the DT post they say it should be a light golden liquor haha. Oops!) I will definitely be trying this again and I’ll actually make it properly. I usually like strong tea but this time I left the bag in waaaaay too long.
I will have some frequent steeper points to use up soon so I think I might try this as my free tea! It’s quite pricey so I don’t know that I would buy a big tin or anything, but if I can get it for free I definitely will!

Flavors: Floral, Jasmine, Smooth

8 min or more

Very good tea!

The dry scent is sweet and strong with the smell of jasmine. The taste is very deep – not rich, but deep and a bit woodsy/bambooish in a nice way. Very sweet and fragrant from the jasmine. There’s a hint of bitterness but I may just have steeped it too long – I put 3 pearls in 250mls of water with simmering water for 4 minutes, I think I’ll cut it down to 3 next time.

Edit: I’ve gotten rid of the bitterness and have come to really love this tea. Its full bodied yet light and refreshingly sweet. Boyfriend and his mom love it too! I ordered the 250g for 40% off because I love it so much and needed a good stock!

Flavors: Bamboo, Jasmine, Sweet, Wood

Tea # 2 from The tea box. This is my first tea bow and while I am super excited to try as many as I can before I send it on I also feel a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of tea staring me in the face.

I’m going to set a few pearls aside for later to try again. I love jasmine tea of all sorts but I’m pretty sure this is the first black/ black pearl that I’ve tried. The jasmine essence is very mellow. Usually I add a little honey to jasmine teas but I just couldn’t get myself to add it to this rare one. Nevertheless it’s still a delightful drink.

165 °F / 73 °C 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp

Backlog!

So I flew an hour from NorCal to SoCal and I wanted to drink tea but I left my sachets with my mum back home so I figured that these little beauties would be great to drink on the plane :)
Yep. I asked for a cup of hot water and dropped these little bad boys in :)
It was actually really good! I had a great cup, but it definitely started getting bitter by the end of the cup. Not the best way to drink tea, but good enough who where I was at. I’ll be trying these sometime this week, this time actually taking time to make the right cuppa :)

2089 tasting notes

Tea #22 from Considering a new TTB
Normally I love Jasmine Black tea, but these failed to impress me, they were much more bitter than I expected. I let my cup sit for awhile to see if the bitterness dissipated once the tea had cooled, but it didn’t really which was disappointing. I did begin to notice a somewhat sweeter note towards the end of each sip, but these just don’t have the depth I’m looking for.

I gave this one a go today from my local DT store – I have to be in a particular mood for jasmine tea, and I was intrigued that this one had a black tea base instead of a green. The jasmine taste was still pretty stong even with the addition of some milk – and the weird thing is that it didn’t taste all that different from a lot of green tea bases. Hmm.