Jasmine Black Pearls (organic)

Jasmine, Round , Astringent, Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Smoke, Bitter, Sweet, Wood, Floral, Smooth, Bamboo, Flowers, Malt
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Fay

2 Images

• “Trying these bad boys tonight. I bought a sample of them in October when I learned that the DT closest to me actually got a stock of them. I had resisted before based on not knowing how I feel...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 709 tasting notes
  • “I am lucky friends! Our DT in the mall received this by mistake! They have to send it back because they don’t have a tin for it – but in the meantime… we get to drink it! And buy...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 514 tasting notes
  • “My friend picked me up some of these and sent me them. And finally I am trying them. I used 4 pearls for 12 oz of water, and steeped them for 4 minutes. The other jasmine black tea I’ve had...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1220 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! 844. This wasn’t my favourite tea by a fair bit, but I figured it would work reasonably well in a travel mug as a tastier-than-hot-water beverage to be consumed while watching...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3132 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A novel tea

Black pearls, black jasmine teas and Chinese black teas are all extremely rare. So what do you get when you combine all three? A seriously special, super-rare, once-in-a-lifetime tea. And we’re super excited to announce that it’s a DAVIDsTEA exclusive! But this hand-rolled tea is more than just a pretty face: it’s rich, floral and uniquely refreshing. With its delicate jasmine aroma, caramel notes and lingering wild honey sweetness, it’s definitely a taste worth seeking out.

Ingredients: Organic black tea pearls from Hunnan Province, China, scented with jasmine blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Mmmmmmm. These pearls are amazing. Really gorgeous flavor.

Flavors: Jasmine

I used 5 pearls for 16oz.
These pearls are huge and they smell wonderful, malty chocolate with sweet Jasmine.
Unfortunately, the smell does not translate into the taste as much as I was anticipating. There are slight notes of malt and chocolate, the Jasmine is definitely in the background. It isn’t as sweet and floral as I was expecting it to be. I am enjoying this tea, but there is a touch of astringency. Maybe I am just getting more sensitive to astringency that I focus on it too much. Or I need to steep for less time.

Resteep 5 minutes.

I certainly won’t have any trouble finishing my sample, but at that price point, I certainly won’t be getting more.

S.G. Sanders

Do you think the Jasmine is what gives it the astringency?

tigress_al

Interesting Rufus, it’s a possibility. All the other Jasmine teas I have had have been green or white, and they were Brewed more delicately.

Black Friday gift to myself…

So, I remember reading about someone stocking up on these during every Davids Tea sale because they thought they were amazing. After trying them I am going to say that jasmine doesn’t go well with malt. I view jasmine as the gentle handshake and malt as a firmer one (coffee being the body builder squeeze). That being said, these things smell great and look wonderful but the taste seems to be a battle in my mouth between a calming drink and a semi brisk black tea.

I’ve drank darker oolong with jasmine and have the same conclusion; while lighter oolong can fair with jasmine. This is also true with the jasmine shou and sheng, as sheng is the only one I’ll drink again with jasmine.

I’ll be trying this two more times and if it doesn’t grow on me I’m sure others will enjoy it as part of a swap :)

Daylon R Thomas

I’ve just got the jasmine oolong from Taiwan Sourcing, and it was actually a darker oolong and I think it would work better with a greener one. I should probably try it again since I drank WAY TOO much tea this past week. Kidneys not happy with me.

I really like jasmine teas and when I saw Davidstea had a black jasmine tea, I purshased it immediately. I tastes really great, the black tea base is good and astringent and mixes well with the flowery taste of jasmine. I like that it comes in the shape of big pearls.

Flavors: Astringent, Jasmine

I picked up this tea using my Frequent Steeper rewards. I had wanted to try it for many months, but waited for the rewards points to come though, since it is a more expensive tea. I tried it last night and it was pretty good! I had it as a hot latte and enjoyed the jasmine infusion. It is not a new favourite, but it was a solid tea that I look forward to drinking again. For me, the black base and the jasmine flavour worked well together. As it is quite pricey and I do not LOVE it, I think I would only pick it up again with my frequent steeper rewards. It is a very nice tea to have once in a while, but I would not want to have it every day. But I am sure glad I tried it!

tanyasew

Okay, I am upping the rating. I had a feeling that I might do this. I often need a few days to come to an opinion on new things (tea, movies, books, etc.). I found myself craving this tea in the days after the first tasting. Plus, I tested it against the Black Dragon Pearls of Teavana (which was not Jasmine infused, but cocoa infused) and I definitely, hands down preferred the Jasmine Black Pearls from David’s. It is not an overwhelming flavour, more subtle, but I really like it. I think this may become one of my regular teas to pick up with my Frequent Steeper points. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a try and see what you think. I know this tea will not be for everyone, but I really like it! I am giving the tea a 90, up from the original 84 that I gave it.

This is not a tea I would typically go for. It’s a straight black tea, which rarely appeals to me, as well as rather pricy. However my boyfriend LOVES green jasmine pearls and given I had several free 50g teas from DAVID’s I figured it might be fun to try something different.

For what it is, I really do like this one. It’s a little astringent, but for now I’ll attribute that to steeping it a little longer than I should have. The strongest notes in this are the jasmine and creamy dark caramel. In the middle of the sip, there’s a fairly strong earthy note, while towards to end there’s a slight smokiness. Occasionally there’s a hint of chocolate to, which mixes well with the caramel. This won’t be something I go for everyday, but it’s very different from anything else I have in my cupboard and I don’t regret my selection.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Jasmine, Smoke

I prefer jasmine in green teas. This one is not bad, but I think the robustness of the black leaves overpowers too much the nice flowery flavour of jasmine. So nice though to see those little grey balls open up like flowers. DT is definitely overpricing this item so I won’t buy again.

I like this tea, it has different flavours throughout the drinking experience. I get jasmine, wood, smoke, sweet, caramel and a touch bitter (on the second steep). It is also a fun tea to steep, the cute little spheres open up, very pleasing.

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Jasmine, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

My friend bought me tea today! Yay! I feel so loved! I decided to try this tea. I’ve never had a straight black tea from DT, so I was really excited! It smelled so lovely! I’m not sure how many pearls were in my cup because I got it to go and I never thought to ask. My first sip was sooo yummy! Then I drove home. Aaaaaaand my tea bag was still in my tea. Aaaaaand now it is almost too strong to drink :( Too floral for my taste right now! (The tea itself was soooo dark, and in the DT post they say it should be a light golden liquor haha. Oops!) I will definitely be trying this again and I’ll actually make it properly. I usually like strong tea but this time I left the bag in waaaaay too long.
I will have some frequent steeper points to use up soon so I think I might try this as my free tea! It’s quite pricey so I don’t know that I would buy a big tin or anything, but if I can get it for free I definitely will!

Flavors: Floral, Jasmine, Smooth

8 min or more

Very good tea!

The dry scent is sweet and strong with the smell of jasmine. The taste is very deep – not rich, but deep and a bit woodsy/bambooish in a nice way. Very sweet and fragrant from the jasmine. There’s a hint of bitterness but I may just have steeped it too long – I put 3 pearls in 250mls of water with simmering water for 4 minutes, I think I’ll cut it down to 3 next time.

Edit: I’ve gotten rid of the bitterness and have come to really love this tea. Its full bodied yet light and refreshingly sweet. Boyfriend and his mom love it too! I ordered the 250g for 40% off because I love it so much and needed a good stock!

Flavors: Bamboo, Jasmine, Sweet, Wood