Jasmine Black Pearls (organic)

Jasmine, Round , Astringent, Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Smoke, Bitter, Sweet, Wood, Floral, Smooth, Bamboo, Flowers, Malt
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Fay

2 Images

• “Trying these bad boys tonight. I bought a sample of them in October when I learned that the DT closest to me actually got a stock of them. I had resisted before based on not knowing how I feel...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 709 tasting notes
  • “I am lucky friends! Our DT in the mall received this by mistake! They have to send it back because they don’t have a tin for it – but in the meantime… we get to drink it! And buy...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 514 tasting notes
  • “My friend picked me up some of these and sent me them. And finally I am trying them. I used 4 pearls for 12 oz of water, and steeped them for 4 minutes. The other jasmine black tea I’ve had...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1220 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! 844. This wasn’t my favourite tea by a fair bit, but I figured it would work reasonably well in a travel mug as a tastier-than-hot-water beverage to be consumed while watching...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3106 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A novel tea

Black pearls, black jasmine teas and Chinese black teas are all extremely rare. So what do you get when you combine all three? A seriously special, super-rare, once-in-a-lifetime tea. And we’re super excited to announce that it’s a DAVIDsTEA exclusive! But this hand-rolled tea is more than just a pretty face: it’s rich, floral and uniquely refreshing. With its delicate jasmine aroma, caramel notes and lingering wild honey sweetness, it’s definitely a taste worth seeking out.

Ingredients: Organic black tea pearls from Hunnan Province, China, scented with jasmine blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Tea # 2 from The tea box. This is my first tea bow and while I am super excited to try as many as I can before I send it on I also feel a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of tea staring me in the face.

I’m going to set a few pearls aside for later to try again. I love jasmine tea of all sorts but I’m pretty sure this is the first black/ black pearl that I’ve tried. The jasmine essence is very mellow. Usually I add a little honey to jasmine teas but I just couldn’t get myself to add it to this rare one. Nevertheless it’s still a delightful drink.

165 °F / 73 °C 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp

Backlog!

So I flew an hour from NorCal to SoCal and I wanted to drink tea but I left my sachets with my mum back home so I figured that these little beauties would be great to drink on the plane :)
Yep. I asked for a cup of hot water and dropped these little bad boys in :)
It was actually really good! I had a great cup, but it definitely started getting bitter by the end of the cup. Not the best way to drink tea, but good enough who where I was at. I’ll be trying these sometime this week, this time actually taking time to make the right cuppa :)

Tea #22 from Considering a new TTB
Normally I love Jasmine Black tea, but these failed to impress me, they were much more bitter than I expected. I let my cup sit for awhile to see if the bitterness dissipated once the tea had cooled, but it didn’t really which was disappointing. I did begin to notice a somewhat sweeter note towards the end of each sip, but these just don’t have the depth I’m looking for.

I gave this one a go today from my local DT store – I have to be in a particular mood for jasmine tea, and I was intrigued that this one had a black tea base instead of a green. The jasmine taste was still pretty stong even with the addition of some milk – and the weird thing is that it didn’t taste all that different from a lot of green tea bases. Hmm.

Starting to venture in to the more traditional tea zones (I still love weird blends like popcorn and dehydrated ice cream bits of course), but I want to also learn more about the bases and such. Starting with these puppies this week… So yummy!

I used my new Steeper, three pearls, filled it up with boiling water and steeped for 4.5 minutes. The jasmine is a perfect amount, engages your senses, but doesn’t smell like you opened Grandma’s perfume chest. Very lovely, drinkable. Fun to watch the pearls unravel their mysteries in the steeper. Overall, a nice start to a (hopefully) relaxing weekend.

I loaded up on theses pearls during David’s last sale. I use about 5 pearls per 16oz as I love strong jasmine. It’s nice to have a black base, I usually have green with jasmine. I’m having a sipdown on this small bag because the seal broke and I don’t want to put them in a tin. I’ve been brewing western style, too busy for gonfu, and can get about 2 steeps from them and still have the jasmine. I could probably brew 1-2 more times to enjoy the black base.

These pearls have a nice smooth jasmine, not perfumey. The black base is very tasty and has never gone bitter on me. I found brewing at 208 degrees tasted better than 195…for 3 minutes.

Ze_Teamaker

Still need to try these beauties.

Chocolatey with jasmine floral-ness. Haven’t found a tea like it. Must have.

Flavors: Chocolate, Flowers, Malt

Wowza! This tea has quite a strong jasmine taste, so strong in fact I have a hard time tasting the black tea. I followed the instructions on the label, but may try it with a smaller steeping time because I found the jasmine taste so strong (I used the recommendation of 2 pearls). However despite have a bit of an overwhelming jasmine smell/taste, I do occasionally search it out in my cupboard. There are some days I want a tea to be able to rip my socks off because of its strong flavours, this is the one I go to for that.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

I used 6 pearls in my DAVIsTEA travel mug… Too much… And I think I will add honey to this one…

Best jasmine tea I ever tried. I find the jasmine amount to be perfect, since the taste of the black tea is still present.

I do think it is very balanced. It’s a wonderful tea. Expensive, but worth it. My favorite DT black tea of all time!