Second Flush Darjeeling

Honey, Smooth, Tea, Wood, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I’ve flip-flopped over whether I was ever going to try David’s straight teas. I mean, I’ve always intended to, but I can never quite get my mouth to name any of the classics, when it has the...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 352 tasting notes
  • “After a surprising number of cups my twenty gram sample is almost entirely gone and I am left with a slightly higher opinion than when I started. I am not one to add sugar or milk to my tea but 1/8...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 698 tasting notes
  • “I went on an oolong binge a couple of months ago, I pretty much bought anything that was called an oolong. It is very obvious to me now that I should have done a little research first, tried a...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 752 tasting notes
  • “This afternoon's lunch tea. I've steeped it with a little bit of lavender and coconut (less lavender, more coconut) and it's just like it suppose to be... fragrant and yummy. ” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Second nature

Ingredients: Second flush Darjeeling tea (grade FTGFOP 1) from Darjeeling, India.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

so im not usually a big fan of black teas but ive started to come to appreciate black teas so i took a trip down to davidstea and grabbed a few blacks to try
this was the first one i decided to have as my morning wake up cupe :)
first smell: definitely some honey and earthy notes. i took a sip and right away you could taste the earthy undertones. there might be some floral and honey notes but none that are jump-in-your-face noticeable. this one is a very nice black tea with very little astringency which is nice :)
ive tried a few blacks lately and so far ive liked most of them so wish me luck on my journey!!
if you have any suggestions let me know :)

ps: i had a mixup on teas :/ oops!!

Hmm. This is the first “plain” regular old tea of Davidstea that I have tried,
I had two other darjeelings in my life, Twinings and a random bag of Darvilles of Windsor, which seemed pretty fancy.

I actually think I prefer the Twinings over DT’s Darjeeling, but I can’t recall if the Twinings is “second flush” or not, I guess that makes a difference. EDIT ok, so I just looked up the ratings of the Twinings version and I guess it sucks?? I will have to do a taste test at some point, as I said I’m really not qualified to rate Darjeelings, so take this review as you will :) *

I steeped it as per the directions, and I did a second steep which was not as good as the first but definitely doable.

I am far from a connoisseur of darjeelings, (or even breakfast blends and such classic staples), but I think this one was pretty good. I don’t feel it is a tea I would keep stocked, I only bought it as a sample pack on sale for 50 cents. My opinion is biased as I definitely prefer the more flavorful dessert teas over ones like this. Maybe I will come back to this in the future with more experience and more insight :)

Indigobloom

try steeping at a slightly lower temperature. I find it really makes a difference with Darjeelings! :)

Honey, mushroom, woody and astringent. I compared this to Butiki’s Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special and I found I liked DavidsTea better…gasp! Only by a small amount, I found the DavidsTea had a more velvet taste to it and the sweetness shines through just a hint more than Butiki’s. This was a cup to cup test and the teas were brewed as instructed by the Makers.

Went back and bought a tin. Definitely tasting the ‘woodsy’ flavor that was advertised. It’s quite nice.

Cavocorax

Ooh. Can’t wait to try my sample!

Saryn

It’s really nice. I’ve been drinking flavored teas since June, and I think this – which I got as a sample – was the first time I had ‘normal’ tea. I had to go back and get more. XD

Well, my quest today has been to tick off as many straight blacks as I can. Third one of the day. Hopefully I can fit in 2 more (I do have a late night of studying ahead). I chose this one because I wanted to determine if it was the Darjeeling in David’s Organic Breakfast that I wasn’t liking.

It smells great – like a black tea haha.

Oh my. That flavour is very distinct. And unfortunately I don’t think it’s for me. Though I’m also not sure if that’s what was bothering me in David’s Organic Breakfast. Hmm. I’ll have to ponder on that as I finish this cup.

This is… so good. Thank you Stephanie for the sample, I finally got around to it. Second flush > first flush. This is just so fruity! Like strawberry and lychee. There’s a small amount of floral. I have a couple of first flush darjeelings in the cupboard and this blows them all away. More bold, more fruit, mo’ flava.

1 tbsp for 375 ml of water

A bit dilute tasting. Peppery flavour near the middle of the sip. Perfume-like bouquet near the end of the sip. Fresh straw-like tones throughout.

Lowered the rating a bit from the second cup.

I tried this again this morning and a lot of the flavours I thought there was in my first cup were not there in this one. Makes me think I just hadn’t washed the cup (entirely likely) and was tasting aftertastes from the cup previous. Sure, the tea is still good (at least, as far as straight black teas since I don’t usually like them) but not as good as I originally thought. If I was going to buy a straight black this would still be it, but I don’t usually intend on buying straight black teas.

Still glad I had it as a sample, though.

My last review of this one a year ago was a bit… ADD… I started off saying I liked it and by the end of the review I was like… yeah… I don’t know if I’d drink it much. Well, I thought I better try it again as it was a sample I got with my last order.

It’s fine, but Darjeelings aren’t my thing I don’t think. I’ve had this one before and I had another one I bought in Ottawa and that one wasn’t too bad, but again, it really wasn’t my thing. I’m definitely noticing that it is a woody tea that is quite strong in flavour. It has an almost malty taste to it… almost?

Either way, it’s not for me… Sorry tea.

Sample package label:
“This Darjeeling is a bright, woodsy and earthy, with notes of honey, fresh mushrooms and meadow flower. Parve.
1.25 teaspoon, 98*C (208*F), 5 min.”

Per http://www.davidstea.com/second-flush-darjeeling?&TF=77477126A52D&DEID=:
“Darjeeling is known as the “champagne” of teas: if it doesn’t come from India’s Darjeeling region, you aren’t allowed to use the name. That might be why the best Darjeelings taste just like the mountains they were grown on. While the first leaves in the spring tend to be delicate and almost green in flavour, second flush Darjeelings generally have a richer, darker taste. This one is bright, woodsy and earthy, with notes of honey, fresh mushrooms and meadow flowers – like a forest getaway in a cup.

Second flush Darjeeling tea (grade FTGFOP 1) from Darjeeling, India.

How to prepare
1 tsp / 98°C / 208°F / 5 min”

Heated to 212*F and allowed to cool to 208*F – verified with DAVIDsTEA digital thermometer
Steeped the entire 5 g tea sample in 12-oz for 5 minutes, then poured two six ounce servings.

Tasted without sweeteners, milk or cream.

The tea had a light woodsy/earthy fragrance.

Amber brown hue

First Infusion – 5-min:
This tea a light woodsy/earthy fragrance. It’s a full-bodied tea without any bitterness and a clean fresh finish. There was a slight but pleasurable hint of astringency.
2nd Infusion – 6-min:
A tad less full-bodied, with a slight trace of astringency but just as enjoyable as the first cup.
3rd Infusion – 7-min:
Too weak for an enjoyable 3rd infusion.

Impression: An excellent, full-bodied tea without any bitterness, a mild pleasurable astringency and a clean fresh finish. Well Done!

Thanks to DAVIDsTEA for providing this free sample.