Second Flush Darjeeling

Cream, Honey, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I’ve flip-flopped over whether I was ever going to try David’s straight teas. I mean, I’ve always intended to, but I can never quite get my mouth to name any of the classics, when it has the...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes
  • “After a surprising number of cups my twenty gram sample is almost entirely gone and I am left with a slightly higher opinion than when I started. I am not one to add sugar or milk to my tea but 1/8...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 682 tasting notes
  • “I went on an oolong binge a couple of months ago, I pretty much bought anything that was called an oolong. It is very obvious to me now that I should have done a little research first, tried a...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 697 tasting notes
  • “This afternoon's lunch tea. I've steeped it with a little bit of lavender and coconut (less lavender, more coconut) and it's just like it suppose to be... fragrant and yummy. ” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Second nature

Darjeeling is known as the “champagne” of teas: if it doesn’t come from India’s Darjeeling region, you aren’t allowed to use the name. That might be why the best Darjeelings taste just like the mountains they were grown on. While the first leaves in the spring tend to be delicate and almost green in flavour, second flush Darjeelings generally have a richer, darker taste. This one is bright, woodsy and earthy, with notes of honey, fresh mushrooms and meadow flowers – like a forest getaway in a cup.

Ingredients: Second flush Darjeeling tea (grade FTGFOP 1) from Darjeeling, India.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

While I think I brewed it too strong, I do like it!

This is the first darjeeling tea I can recall having had in loose leaf, and was a sample pack I’ve had for awhile but hadn’t got around to trying.

Brewed leaf aroma is beautiful, and so fragrant of raisins and stewed apricots in honey. The actual tea in the cup aroma is much lighter, and more floral and earthy. Taste is floral honey, and a bit creamy and earthy/woody. Fresh, light and tasty, but quite different from the teas I usually drink, which tend to be bolder I guess.

A lovely light cup of tea which I enjoyed drinking. I wouldn’t keep this in my cupboard as there are other teas I enjoy more, but wouldn’t turn down a cup if offered.

my first darjeeling. first thought was a bit bitter, but loved the full body. tasted slightly creamy – maybe that’s the honey coming through. wish i’d taken the time to sniff out the notes, but it was the first cup of the morning and i was ready for some warmth, so i quickly added sweetener and half half. this transformed it into a lovely comforting cup. little bit of peppery heat at the end. definitely something i would love to keep stocked, and could see it being a longtime fave. came as a sample with my david’s tea order.

Flavors: Cream, Honey, Wood

Very strong flavour, but delicious with milk and sugar. I would add more sugar next time, I think!

This is a very easy to drink black tea. It’s not too bitter and it has a lot of flavour. I’m curious to compare it to first flush darjeeling.

Woody, a bit astringent/bitter, a grassy aftertaste.
To me this would be pretty good with a bit of milk. I’ve enjoyed other blacks from David’s more.

I’m not going to lie, it’s difficult for me to drink straight black teas without milk and a sweetener (usually sugar or agave). So I’ll make my review sort of a dual between what I tasted without my own additives and with. To note – I am partial to straight teas. I received this tea as a sampler. I brewed this tea in two different sittings – one at boiling and one at just under boiling.

Without milk and sugar – Very floral tea with earthy tones. My cup was brown with a very prominent red tinge. The tea itself was quite flat, I found little complexity aside from a floral finish.

With milk and sugar – This tea reminded me of something I had tried when I was a kid, and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Overall, I still felt it was flat, like it needed something to brighten up the cup.

This darjeeling is solid with or without milk and sugar. It may not be the best, but it’s far from the worst. Worth a try!

new tea for me and its a definite winner

Picked up a 5 gram sample of this tea for a dollar on my most recent visit to David’s. Steeped for just over four minutes. Rich, yet subdued. Definitely has a forest-y taste. Has a lovely amber/golden liqueur.

edit: Tried my second cup with some agave nectar, and I’ve gotta say it kind of took away from the tea. This is one to drink black for sure.