Second Flush Darjeeling

Muscatel, Honey, Smooth, Tea, Wood, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I’ve flip-flopped over whether I was ever going to try David’s straight teas. I mean, I’ve always intended to, but I can never quite get my mouth to name any of the classics, when it has the...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 354 tasting notes
  • “After a surprising number of cups my twenty gram sample is almost entirely gone and I am left with a slightly higher opinion than when I started. I am not one to add sugar or milk to my tea but 1/8...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 705 tasting notes
  • “I went on an oolong binge a couple of months ago, I pretty much bought anything that was called an oolong. It is very obvious to me now that I should have done a little research first, tried a...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 862 tasting notes
  • “This afternoon’s lunch tea. I’ve steeped it with a little bit of lavender and coconut (less lavender, more coconut) and it’s just like it suppose to be… fragrant and yummy. ...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Second nature

Darjeeling is known as the “champagne” of teas: if it doesn’t come from India’s Darjeeling region, you aren’t allowed to use the name. That might be why the best Darjeelings taste just like the mountains they were grown on. While the first leaves in the spring tend to be delicate and almost green in flavour, second flush Darjeelings generally have a richer, darker taste. This one is bright, woodsy and earthy, with notes of honey, fresh mushrooms and meadow flowers – like a forest getaway in a cup.

Ingredients: Second flush Darjeeling tea (grade FTGFOP 1) from Darjeeling, India.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I got a sample packet of this tea from the GCTT and it had enough in it for two cups of tea. It was surprisingly smooth and non-astringent for a Darjeeling while still holding that typical muscatel flavour and a bit of a woodsy undertone. It’s a much less finicky tea than a 1st flush Darjeeling (which I can certainly appreciate) while still being complex enough to be interesting.

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

I’ve had a couple of cups of this in the past few days – mmmm. I LOVE Darjeelings, and I especially love this particular blend. Black tea has always been my favourite, and this one is a super comforting drink – right behind the Earl Grey family. I add a splash of milk and I get into a happy mood. I want a Darjeeling present in my tea cupboard at all times, haha.

Yesterday in a meeting, I sat beside a man who told me that he drinks mostly Darjeeling tea. He told me that the amount of tea that the region actually produces is so small that all the tea that is labeled Darjeeling couldn’t possibly be. Kind of like the tea world’s version of the common virgin olive oil frauds. I realized that I don’t remember having had a cup of anything even purporting to be Darjeeling, so I went down to David’s for a cup today. I liked it. Authentic or not, I found it to be a very drinkable every day tea.

Flavors: Honey, Smooth, Tea

This tea is wonderful; one of my favorite black teas for sure. I’m on my third tin.

There’s no bitterness and just a slight mild astringency.
There’s a touch of sweetness and a hint of malty flavor.
My first two tins were more sweet and my current tin is a bit maltier.

It find it very clean and light tasting for a black tea. I’d describe the taste as woodsy but not very earthy though the wet leaves certainly have an earthy mushroom aroma that I can’t seem to taste in the liquor. The finish is very slightly malty and sweet with definite notes of honey.

It’s too delicate and fresh for me to appreciate it as an early morning, breakfast, or desert tea, but as a late morning to mid-afternoon tea it’s great.

It’s not overly expensive so I feel the value is reasonably good.

Flavors: Honey, Wood

This tea’s aroma reminds me of a forest in the fall, when it is raining: wood, dry leaves, earth. It is indeed very earthy, and it would be very good if the astringency wasn’t so strong. It leaves an aftertaste that isn’t good. Not the best really, but a nice change. I must try a better quality darjeeling. I always see people talking smack about darjeeling, but I think I would probably actually quite like it if I had a better one.

Virginia

I wrote dry leaves, and I know that leaves are not dry when it rains. Y’all know what I mean! Lol

boychik

Im sorry it didnt work out for you. Darj could be very finicky. They like lower temps and less steep time.

TheTeaFairy

Oh, nothing beats a fresh spring Darjeeling! Nothing wrong with DT, but not the best place to buy it from. Tealux is in Mtl and has amazing Darjeeling at very decent price:

Virginia

Will try that!! I steeped for 4 mins with 95 degree water without really looking at the recommendations on the package (silly me _) Thank you for the tip! :D

Virginia

Oh do you have any other recommendations from tealux? I’ve been wanting to order from them, but have no real reviews or word of mouth comments to make decisions.

boychik

I would also recommend Upton, but don’t know if they ship to Canada. Samples paradise

TheTeaFairy

Veronica, I have tons of recommendations, but mostly for straight tea, I don’t like their flavoured tea that much. I will PM you later with some of my favourites :-)

TheTeaFairy

(I meant Virginia, oops sorry! )

Virginia

Looking forward to it! I meant straight teas :) And do not worry about calling me Veronica. My boyfriend of 5 years actually introduced me to his ENTIRE family as Veronica. So mortifying lol

This is the first darjeeling tea I can recall having had in loose leaf, and was a sample pack I’ve had for awhile but hadn’t got around to trying.

Brewed leaf aroma is beautiful, and so fragrant of raisins and stewed apricots in honey. The actual tea in the cup aroma is much lighter, and more floral and earthy. Taste is floral honey, and a bit creamy and earthy/woody. Fresh, light and tasty, but quite different from the teas I usually drink, which tend to be bolder I guess.

A lovely light cup of tea which I enjoyed drinking. I wouldn’t keep this in my cupboard as there are other teas I enjoy more, but wouldn’t turn down a cup if offered.

my first darjeeling. first thought was a bit bitter, but loved the full body. tasted slightly creamy – maybe that’s the honey coming through. wish i’d taken the time to sniff out the notes, but it was the first cup of the morning and i was ready for some warmth, so i quickly added sweetener and half half. this transformed it into a lovely comforting cup. little bit of peppery heat at the end. definitely something i would love to keep stocked, and could see it being a longtime fave. came as a sample with my david’s tea order.

Flavors: Cream, Honey, Wood

Very strong flavour, but delicious with milk and sugar. I would add more sugar next time, I think!

This is a very easy to drink black tea. It’s not too bitter and it has a lot of flavour. I’m curious to compare it to first flush darjeeling.