Banana Dream Pie (organic)

Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

From DAVIDsTEA

Pie in the sky

When it comes to dreaming up new teas, sometimes inspiration just randomly strikes. It usually happens in the middle of a really great dessert. So you can probably imagine how this decadent flavour came to be. We’ll give you a hint: it involved a chocolate banana cream pie. We tried out dozens of blends before we found the perfect one – a rich, chocolatey black tea blend with pieces of ripe banana and creamy white chocolate. It tastes like a dream come true.

Ingredients: Black tea, cocoa nibs, banana pieces, white chocolate, cocoa powder.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I WANT to love this one. I really do. But it’s just not doing it for me. The Banana Nut Bread was to die for and this is just lackluster. It smells great but doesn’t have a ton of flavor. The first cup I brewed for 6 minutes and was bitter. The second cup I brewed for 5 minutes and didn’t have much flavor. I tried it sweetened and with as well as without milk. Sadly, won’t be repurchasing.

3 finals down, one more to go! To fuel my brain, I decided to steep the sample of this tea I got from my last order.
I added a bit of sugar and half and half to the brew and I don’t know… the flavors in this tea don’t really impress me at all. The banana and chocolate flavors are underwhelming, and honestly the idea of “drinking” banana kind of puts me off. I steeped this tea for awhile and still am getting a pretty watered down flavor. And while taking a sip of the tea, I notice an oily feeling on my lips. Sure enough, there’s a layer of it floating on top of my steeped tea. No coconut listed in the ingredients though, so I’m not even sure why there would be an oiliness to begin with.
Anyway, the idea was good but execution is not so much. In fact I may just throw the rest of the brewed tea out and pick a different flavor.

Had Banana Dream Pie today at my local DT. I’m no tea expert (yet!) but I can tell this is a really tasty tea. I added a little bit of agave nectar and milk (the boyfriend has not acquired the tea taste yet, so I always need to have it milkier, and sweeter) and it did taste like it says it does: banana cream pie! My only complaint is that once the tea starts cooling down, it’s downhill from there. It’s a tea that really needs to be drank hot!

Adding this to my shopping list to alternate with DT’s Birthday Cake as my evening dessert tea :3

This is by far my favourite new winter tea! If you enjoy red velvet cake and other rich dessert teas then you will absolutely enjoy this. I would recommend that you do not leave it to steep too long though because it will end up tasting bitter like most dessert teas. :

Banana Dream Pie is very dreamy yes…… however you won’t be sleeping much after drinking it since it is a black tea! There’s chocolate in it, so that’s always a plus. The banana flavor is not prominent at all, it’s ever so slight. This tea kind of reminds me of hot cocoa! The smell will draw you into its wonderfulness!

Egh. Got this as a latte once, and um..

Its not bad, but its not that…good…either. Like, not outstandingly good. It tastes so artificial to me, like tea flavoured like banana instead of tea with actual banana in it. Given a choice, I’d definitely take Copabanana over this, but if I were stranded on a deserted island and this was the only banana tea there, I’d settle.

Chocolate and bananas isn’t high on my list of flavor combinations I lean toward when purchasing tea. In fact, anything involving chocolate is probably toward the bottom of the list, along with teas that have strong spices in them. I decided to try this sample because it was the only one of 3 I received that didn’t have spices in it.

But, I digress…

The aroma of the dry leaves was promising, the banana note was definitely present. However, the minute the little biodegradable filter hit the hot water I could tell this was going to be a no-go. After allowing the leaves to steep for 6 minutes in boiling water, I removed the filter and reluctantly took a small sip. I salvaged my cuppa by adding a touch of creamer and a bit of coconut sugar. That helped to mellow the overwhelming taste of chocolate and make it a lot more palatable.

I probably would’ve enjoyed this a bit more had the banana been more present. Imagine a slice of banana cream pie made with unripe bananas and completely covered with chocolate sauce. That’s what this tastes like to me.

Just got this in an order from David’s Tea!

The smell of the leaves is amazing if you really like chocolate and bananas. Smells phenomenal! The brew smells a bit weaker, but still has that awesome chocolate banana scent.

The colour of the brew is a nice medium yellow, not too dark for a black tea surprisingly.

The taste of the tea is pretty good. Not the greatest flavoured black tea i’ve had (I don’t drink that many flavoured teas, but I like them once in a while). When you take a sip, you can taste mostly chocolate, and it finishes with a banana after-taste. I like it, but I set my standards very high for anything banana related.

Overall, pretty good tea!

Bought this tea yesterday in my mad attempt to try all the teas from the Winter collection before its too late. I really don’t get anything from the dry leaves. I took a big old whiff, but nothing. I see the banana pieces, and from my stash it looks like I only got a few. Maybe this affects the smell, hopefully not the taste.

Okay…. not bad. In my first sip I only get tea flavor followed by a tiny hint of banana. It is more mellow than I would have thought or hoped. Next time I will play with a longer steeped time. Maybe even a splash of milk.