Vanilla Orchid

Oolong Tea
Natural Vanilla Flavor, Oolong Tea
Flowers, Vanilla, Floral, Smooth, Butter, Grass, Hay, Orchid, Medicinal, Mineral, Orchids, Cake, Frosting, Custard, Cream, Green
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Preliminary thoughts on the new Steepster design – awesome! I haven’t had much time to explore it yet, but it looks like a lot of suggestions have been implemented, and it looks pretty...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3034 tasting notes
  • “This is my favorite oolong thus far. It’s lovely and light, and oh so delicious. The vanilla flavor goes together so nicely with the oolong. Although I got three steeps out of these leaves there...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 357 tasting notes
  • “Today is a DAVIDsTea sipdown day, which is not intentional, but isnt a bad thing at all. This starts by tasting greener, and it becomes more creamy as it cools, and the vanilla flavor is really...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1381 tasting notes
  • “Sunday Sipdown! A lot of bits in the bottom of the bag, but this was quite a tasty cup. A very good vanilla oolong, but I don’t think I will restock just because there are a lot of other teas...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 1090 tasting notes

A sweet romance

We’re still searching for the secret to eternal bliss, but we’re pretty sure one cup of this blend will get you at least five minutes’ worth. It all starts with the very best leaves: a premium oolong from China’s Fujian Province called Huang Jin Gui. A popular wedding gift in China, Huang Jin Gui is prized for its pretty yellow colour and romantic floral scent. Here we bring out this special leaf’s orchid aroma with a touch of vanilla. The result? A perfectly balanced, subtle cup that’s equal parts rich, creamy and floral. Feeling blissful yet?

Ingredients: Huang Jin Gui Oolong from Anxi in Fujian Province, natural vanilla flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Preliminary thoughts on the new Steepster design – awesome! I haven’t had much time to explore it yet, but it looks like a lot of suggestions have been implemented, and it looks pretty slick too. I’m sure there will be bugs/issues, but I like what I see so far!

Anyhow, onto the tea. Sipdown! Finished this off at the boy’s house while watching the Lord of the Rings for the first time. We only made it through one 4-hr extended version movie, so it looks like the next couple weekends may be similar – which is good for my tea consumption :) Getting back to the actual tea, this is one that always smelled better than it tasted, to me. The aroma is divine, all vanilla-oolong sweetness, but the flavour is just lacking. I’ve had better-flavoured straight oolongs. That said, it’s still a tasty enough cup, especially the first infusion. Won’t be picking it up again (if it’s still available), but glad to have tried it.

Flavors: Vanilla

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Yay – Lord of the Rings! Those extended versions are so long and epic, but I love them…

It was long, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! It’s kind of nice having seen The Hobbit (well, 2 parts of it anyways) beforehand, because I can relate a few things back to it. I really, really need to actually read the books I bought like, 15-20 years ago…

Hahah. The books are quite excellent and the Hobbit is a nice easy read (which is why the whole WE NEED THREE MOVIES!!! thing doesn’t make sense to me. :P) but I remember skimming a lot of the Lord of the Rings. Ha. Tolkien didn’t skimp out on descriptions. At all.

I still recommend reading them though! The books are great!

Goodness yes. The descriptions. I don’t regret reading the books, but they were soooo long! :)

This is my favorite oolong thus far. It’s lovely and light, and oh so delicious. The vanilla flavor goes together so nicely with the oolong. Although I got three steeps out of these leaves there was an obvious deterioration in flavor as compared with each preceding steep. That first steep though…oh my! Heaven

She’s a keeper!

lovely and light! you said it!
i agree with your review, this one IS a keeper.

try it with the Vanilla Agave syrup if you want to bring out more of a vanilla flavor in the tea!!

This starts by tasting greener, and it becomes more creamy as it cools, and the vanilla flavor is really allowed to come into its own. This is so dense that it reminds me of vanilla yougurt, especially with the oolong green-ness, which is like vanilla greek yougurt.
Theres no urgency to this, but I might get some more of this at some point. But for today, its a sipdown!

When you wrote about it starting off “green” flavored and coming into it’s own as it cools, those were my exact impressions and I am new to tea so I really thought I’d done something wrong when I saw how dense it was! I have not had one dense like that yet so I was pretty surprised at the mass of green in my tea-maker lol. I also feel the same way about it..decent enough but not enough to make me “crave” it by any stretch. I’ll use up what little I have but can’t see myself buying this again.

Glad to see that I’m not alone in this impression! Thats what I love about Steepster, its a shared group of impressions. Its quite an unexpected tea.

Sunday Sipdown! A lot of bits in the bottom of the bag, but this was quite a tasty cup. A very good vanilla oolong, but I don’t think I will restock just because there are a lot of other teas out there to try! It was very creamy and yummy while it lasted though. Oh actually, I might get a little bit more because this is a favorite of lots of my friends. See previous notes!

Yay! I’m in New York! After the horrible hurricane my flight got cancelled. I was comming because I had been invited to the marathon race directors program and was super excited…. Eventually thing worked out, flights started leaving again. I finally got to New York, only to find out that the racewas cancelled the next day. I am really sorry for all the people that were affected by the hurricane, I hope that everyone is OK! But I am also really sad for all of the runners who worked really hard to be able to run the race and payed to get to NYConly to find out the race was cancelled 2 days before the race….

On a positive note, I made it into my first David’s Tea shop!!! I had to really control myself and be frugal… Or as frugal as you can possibly be when you love tea and walk into a David’s Tea Shop!!! After I finally picked out my tea, I got a free cup of this. Oh my WOW vanilla and smooth sweetness. I have never had anything like this. It is by far the most enchanting and well achieved flavored vanilla oolong I have ever had.

I didn’t get to go through the entire brewing process on my own, since it was made for me in a paper cup, but I think that I managed to pull out the little Baggie in time for it to not oversteep. The little bit of scent that made it through the opening in the lid was incredible. Pure vanilla with a hint of oolong to remind you that you aren’t drinking vanilla extract, but true delicious tea!

Each sip was increasingly smooth and the vanilla wrapped around me in the cold of the wind on NYC in November. I was in tea heaven… The vanilla was a vanilla bean ice cream sort of vanilla. The kind that promises to be sweet, smooth and provide instant smiles.

All in all my trip to NYC, while not productive, has been great fun and great for Christmas shopping. I will surely enjoy my last day here!!!

Also, I have to share this, I bought a BREVILLE ONE TOUCH!!! I did it! I gave in and bought the last one they had at William Sonoma!!! I even got 10% discount on it since it was on display! I can’t wait to go home and try it! I will take it with me carry on… Wish me luck with the trip and it getting through security! I would be devasted if it didn’t!

How exciting! I am sorry your plans went awry, but to get to go in a DAVIDs Tea! You make this tea sound mouth wateringly good.

Congrats on the Breville you are gonna love it!!

enjoy your journey in NYC Ninavampi, but it seems your wallet will remember it ;)

Congratulations on your Breville purchase, and on your first visit to DT. How exciting! =) If it weren’t such rotten timing, what with Sandy and all, it would be great fun to gather the few of us regulars who live in the area and have a little tea party. Maybe you’ll get invited to the marathon directors’ programme again next year and we can plan something then?

Enjoy the rest of your stay, and have a safe and pleasant journey home. =)

Hurray for the Breville! You’re going to love it!

I can’t wait to try this one…I smelled it on Halloween, just before it was released, and I haven’t had a day off to go and try it since. Soon though, soon…

I just landed back in Ecuador with my BREVILLE in one piece and through customs!!! Waiting to go to my city, currently it is pouring rain… Fingers crossed that I will make it today!! Can’t wait to sleep in my own bed, sip my tea and cuddle with hubby and dog!!!

And yes… My wallet will remember this trip well, but it is for the best!

I got some today…made it to the store after work, just before closing. All I can say is

Bummer about the situation but Yay for shopping in new-york!

yay for the breville one touch! i’m buying one tonight, as long as there’s still some in stock. i’m so grabby hands for it!! i can’t WAIT!

This is something I have been craving for a while but have not been motivated enough to go into the store and get it. Nor did I want 50 g of it so I did not add it to my most recent DAVIDs order. Today, I went into DAVIDs to grab something for a friend and since I was there I figured why not grab some of this tea. Of course I started brewing up a cup as soon as I got home and it is just the vanilla pudding flavor I so desperately desired. Delicious!

In other news, I asked the saleswoman and she told me the Spring line comes out March 5 and she was quite excited about the new products (though would give me no hints as to what they may be). Unfortunately, I will be in Florida when the stuff is released so I won’t get a chance to try it until I get back.

Flavors: Cream, Orchids, Vanilla

Nothing unfortunate about your being in Florida, yo! have fun!

This is very true. I will simply have to wait for the new line. On the plus side, I will be able to see everyone else’s thoughts first and know what to avoid.

Actually, it could be super beneficial to have to wait! I get so excited about the new teas, and then disappointment inevitably follows. Maybe I’ll wait to try the new stuff. :)

Roswell Strange

I’m desperately hoping that none of the new Spring blends interest me, because I can’t really afford to be interested. That, or that lots of them are older blends which I’ve tried before and didn’t like. Same goes for the new March tea – I’m hoping it’s not too appealing, because it looks like I may not have much Birthday Money coming my way this month.

Worst comes to worse, I can always share the teas I try :P

I forgot I owned this tea! I’m noticing teas on the right side of my bookcase, in the DavidsTea tins get shuffled to the back and forgotten.

I’m drinking a huge mug of this tea while I’m working on my 100th blog post! WOOOO

I love the creamy, floral and grassy flavors of this oolong! Mmmm floral pudding oolong tea! Very yummy!

Those owls are so cute. :)

Awkward Soul / Oolong Owl

ty! There is a tiny pink one that matches the orange/blue/green owls. She couldn’t make it to the group photo as I haven’t gotten around to finishing her wings.

Vanilla pudding tea is an apt description. This is very light on oolong flavor and tastes mostly of sweet and creamy vanilla, with a bit of floral in the fragrance.
Re-steeped with the same results.

I enjoyed this and found it tasty but do find I don’t reach for it, as would rather drink other teas; and for that reason wouldn’t repurchase at this time.

I just can’t get into this one. :( So disappointing.

I’ve had my eye on this one… maybe I’ll give it a try in the future.

People need to stop posting about this tea! I am getting cravings. It is weird because this tea is not great for everyday, but when you want it, nothing else quite satisfies.

I couldn’t get into this one either. It was too cloying and artificial for me.

Aww, that’s too bad.. I do wonder if some batches vary though, as mine was pretty light.

Vanilla pudding custard tea.

Your description makes it sound so… perfect. But it’s too artificial for me, unfortunately.

I’m finding it to be a bit too flavoured this time around too. I wish the natural oolong notes were more pronounced, and that there was less of this (the kind of pudding I’m thinking of):

Oh yeah, I remember it tasting similar to that kind of pudding, but even more chemically. I just wish it was a natural vanilla bean.

Haha. Yeah. I have some that I’m trying to persuade myself to drink. Any mixing ideas? What could tone down the vanilla? Maybe a latte?

I definitely found it more tolerable as a latte. Or maybe mix it with an unflavoured oolong that’s been sitting around?

Hmm. I think I’ll try it as a latte. That way I don’t have Even More vanilla tea to drink up!

Warm milk and flavoured oolong.. hmm. Another thing to try soon.

It’s good with coconut oolong!

…I can’t think of any other way to write this note.

Conversation between this tea and me:
Tea: mmm key change, you’re so sexy.
me: …thanks?
tea: mmm yeah!
me: …
Tea: what’s wrong?
me: Nothing!
Tea: No seriously. You’re different. What is it?
me: no, you’re different. I think we need a break. Maybe start seeing other people.
tea: what are you talking about? didn’t you just drink me last week and have your love all reaffirmed?
me: but that’s just it. You’re not reliable. not consistent. And I need me a tea that’s dependable, you know? I just never know which version of you I’m going to get.
Tea: Well is it my fault that that you are steep challenged?
Me: It probably is, actually
Tea: That’s always been the problem with you, hasn’t it. It’s always someone else’s fault.
me: are you seriously giving me attitude? You have, like, a mood disorder or something.
Tea: there you go being judgmental again.

…and so that’s it. Finishing up the tin, but no repurchasing, even though it’s very possible that I’ll have it next time and be completely enthralled all over again. I honestly don’t know what really accounts for the drastic changes this tea goes through in my life, but I do know that I don’t appreciate a tea that’s this temperamental. If I have a love/hate relationship with a tea, we simply can’t last together, you know? Especially because my tea needs to be my guaranteed bit of enjoyment, and if the guarantee is all up in the air, it ‘aint gonna happen. So, we’re breaking up. No second chances. No friends with benefits. We’re through.

ahhhh just finished what was left in my timolino. So gross. Can someone please bring me better tea so my day can be redeemed?

Maybe that pastry will help?

It just might!

ugggggh so gross.

Ha! Conversations with tea. Perfect.

Lol! I have been known to whisper rather impassionated sweet nothings to my tea. My daughters look at me weird when I do. I should make a record of my next tea break-up conversation.

Oh yes! I’m glad i’m not the only one who talks to (and listens to) my tea. Please do share tea breakups and marriages freely here.