Ceylon Star

Chocolate, Coconut, Licorice, Anise, Cinnamon
Edit tea info Last updated by Tealizzy

• “Mmmm. To be honest I wasn't sure how excited I'd be to drink this again. It was so hit and miss from what I remember. (Sorry *ShayneBear*) So, because of this I've sorta had this 25g pack sitting...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1390 tasting notes
  • “I've had a giant cup of this tea for the last three days, and that's okay....you know why? Because I have 8.8 oz. on its way to me! Yep! When I saw it on the web special list for 48% off,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 426 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Isaila* for my sample of this! For preparation, I steeped up 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in 8 oz. of boiling water for four minutes. Although now I'm wondering if that wasn't enough leaf or...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1169 tasting notes
  • “Snacking for dinner this evening. First, some leftover pasta, next up roasted yams and baked zucchini fries. This tea really doesn't go with any of it. But that's OK. I wanted something sweet...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1159 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Wish upon a star

Star anise is one of the most beautiful spices around…and also one of the most delicious. It has a sweet, subtle licorice taste that we just can’t resist. And some say it has magical properties: keeping star anise around is said to bring you good luck, happy dreams and even clairvoyance. Most importantly, it makes for some seriously delicious tea. Star anise and Ceylon black tea is a classic combination, but here we sweeten the deal even more with white chocolate, cocoa nibs and coconut. The result is sweet and creamy, with a hint of exotic spice. Now that’s star power.

Ingredients: Ceylon black tea, star anise, cocoa, white chocolate, coconut, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and coconut

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Despite not being someone who cares for chocolate teas all that much, I keep trying them out thinking I’ll find one that I love. Finally, I think I’ve found the one!

I love the aroma of this one — lots of coconut and white chocolate with undertones of licorice-y (in the best of ways) star anise. The liquor is a bit cloudy and smells like spicy, creamy coconut. The most prominent flavor is coconut with star anise adding a spicy kick. While not the strongest of flavors, I can definitely tell that white chocolate is an ingredient. Together with the coconut, it makes a decadently creamy experience. I bet this would make a great latte.

Thanks for sharing, CrowKettle!

This is….actually not as bad as I was fearing. I picked up a 25g package of this from a 2 for $5 bin my last trip into a DavidsTea, after smelling it and finding it not too bad.
I got home and after trying another tea of their’s with coconut (Fantasy Island) and really disliking it, I nearly threw this in the swap bin before trying it just because it had coconut. But I figured why not.

Opening it, all I saw was the star anise, so I poured the bag into a bowl and all the tea was at the bottom. I measured out as evenly as I could 1 1/4 tsp (though it was probly closer to 1/2), dropped two of the star anise into the steeper and steeped 4 min @ 208*.

The smell of the wet leaves especially reminded me of the sassafras I get at the Renaissance Faire. I don’t always like licorice, but in small amounts it’s alright. I rarely have a taste for it. But the taste in this one wasn’t overpowering like I worried with the two giant star anise in the pot.

Taste wise it was licorice-y, but mellow, and the coconut accented this pretty nicely. It wasn’t all in your face like the Fantasy Island. This one was also just mildly spicy-esque and makes me think it’d be good for a morning tea. I added a bit of brown sugar and smidge of truvia and it was very nice indeed. I can imagine this would take milk well if I were so inclined.
I couldn’t really tell the black tea here, but then, I was so busy with the star anise and coconut I didn’t really give much thought to the black tea base other than ‘there, but not strong’. I didn’t get any astringency that I could tell.

Didn’t try a second steep, though I probly should have. Maybe the anise would’ve been toned down so I could taste the black tea. Ah well. Next time I make it.

I actually like this quite a bit. Enough that I’d consider picking up a bag to keep on hand when it goes on sale. Which was certainly surprising to me. Lol.

I am busy with a tea booze experiment to write anything lengthy right now, but this is the jist……. I love it. I bought it on sale for $15 for 250 grams and I might buy more at sale price.

Iridium

Oh wow, I was at DavidsTea today and I didn’t even ask to smell this one, ’cause I thought it was just a regular ceylon. It sounds really interesting, though.

Hmm…I like this! I’m a fan of licorice in small doses, however. If you aren’t, you probably won’t like this.

I actually was a bit surprised – this tea has more of a licorice kick than I thought. Sweet black licorice would probably be the best way to describe the taste. A bit of creaminess from the white chocolate. Perfect for a cold night.

Dry: Pretty blend of loose black tea and what appears to be broken pieces of star anise. There are also orange bits that I am guessing are tea-stained coconut from the ingredient list. I don’t see any cocoa or white chocolate nibs in the blend, but can taste it once brewed. Dry leaf smells sweet with a hint of spice and cocoa.

Steeped: This brews into a slightly cloudy gold-brown liquor with a very slight film. The aroma is that same sweet-spice and chocolate from the dry leaf that is really quite appealing and makes me think of the cooler months ahead.

Taste: At first, I thought this was rather bland with nothing really standing out. As it cooled a little though, the Ceylon tea is quite lovely. The star anise is a flavor I never really appreciated in cooking, but it is nice in this tea. The cocoa adds a warm sweet note to what is already pleasant to begin with. I wasn’t getting much in the way of coconut, but it didn’t seem like it was missing it either. This was noticeably weaker in the second steep, I don’t think it would hold up to three without losing considerable strength.

I didn’t think I’d like this tea because I hate anything remotely licorice, but it turns out I actually like Ceylon Star for what it is worth. Not my favorite tea ever, but certain worth giving it a go for a sweet and relaxing experience.

I find myself torn with this tea.

In reading the description I was so excited to try, even though I had never actually had star of anise before. I got so excited I almost bought it without even smelling it at the David’s store (new location on 6th ave!!) However at the last minute I noticed that licorice notes were in the description and that can go either way with me. However, it still smelled delicious enough, so I had to give it a try.

We have a small teaball at work, and although not my usual, preferred method, I couldn’t wait to try it. It was a challenge just packing what appeared to be a good representation of the blend into the teaball. I decided to stick with the tealeaves and coconut in the ball and allow a single star of anise to float freely in my cup. It looks very fancy!

I love the initial flavors, however the aftertaste reminds me of mints I had when I was younger (and despised). They were chalky white, but when you sucked on them a black, bitter/licorice-tasting and seed-like filling was in the center. I just can’t shake the comparison.

I think I need to try a few more cups before I make this decision – I do so want to like it!!

Amariel

Tea balls are evil. :P They never let you use the right amount of leaf or let it open up properly.

Amariel

My cup to go was muddied with soy milk and I think this altered the flavour too much for me, so I am on the fence too. I am also not a licorice fan but was told the licorice flavour in here is not dominant.

teaNsympathy

I know! I keep meaning to bring in my David’s Perfect Mug so I can let the leaves expand properly! Soon enough I’ll have one to spare and won’t have to sacrifice at work! How did your second cup go?

Amariel

Much better with cow milk. My last infusion had a big star anise in it so I pulled that out before adding the hot water, knowing it would add more licorice notes to the finished brew.

I was attacked by the strong aroma of coconut when I opened the packet, which surprised me because I thought it was a pure Ceylon tea! And I was even more surprised to know that the “star” in its name came from one of its ingredients, star anise!!

I didn’t know what to expect as the combination of ingredients was rather unusual to me. The tea didn’t look too appetizing when brewed because there were oil droplets floating around… I guess the culprit was white chocolate? The tea was sweet and strongly coco-nutty. Too bad I am not a fan of coconut (but seems many blends from DAVIDsTEA contain it?). Then after a few sips, I realized that black tea + mild cocoa flavour + licorice-like flavour of star anise gave a taste that strangely resembled tie guan yin!! Indeed, this tea was so light that it’s more like an oolong than black tea. Overall, an interesting tea that’s worth trying at least once.

Second cup of the day: a nice mug of Ceylon Star.

Dry, this smells like chocolate through and through. The mix is so pretty with the whole star anise and coconut flakes. Once brewed, the tea has a much milder chocolate scent. I don’t get the spicy, licorice scent that others are getting, but then again, I still getting over this cold.

This tastes soooooooo good! I can taste the chocolate and coconut. The star anise is just in the background as a mild spiciness. Not licorice, which I was worried it would be. Adding a tiny bit of sugar accented the chocolate. Adding 2% milk didn’t enhance the tea at all, but it didn’t detract from it either. All in all, I’m glad I picked this one up.

So I tried this tea on Christmas eve and yesturday while visiting a david’s tea store. For a while I have been looking for a tea that has that chocolately soemthing that I wanted. And this makes me happy. I think I finally found it. Funny thing is that I didn’t notice the chocolate, my fiancee did. It really is just a delicious tea, no wonder is is the tea of the month for december. :) It really is a wintery treat.

This was a sample from one of my DT orders. I was kind of hoping I wouldn’t like it much…..since I do not need more black tea! …..but……it’s good! I like licorice and chocolate so…..I didn’t stand a chance! The licorice is soft flavor, kind of spicy, like a melted twizzler?……a nice milky cocoa taste too….sometimes I think Davids mixes too many flavors together……but in this case, it all works ! Licorice, spice, cocoa creamy good!

I have a ton of black tea, and many on the “need to try” list, so won’t rush to buy this right away but would be great morning or work day tea that I would buy again sometime for sure!