Ceylon Star

Chocolate, Coconut, Licorice, Anise, Cinnamon
Edit tea info Last updated by Tealizzy

• “Mmmm. To be honest I wasn't sure how excited I'd be to drink this again. It was so hit and miss from what I remember. (Sorry *ShayneBear*) So, because of this I've sorta had this 25g pack sitting...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1412 tasting notes
  • “I've had a giant cup of this tea for the last three days, and that's okay....you know why? Because I have 8.8 oz. on its way to me! Yep! When I saw it on the web special list for 48% off,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 434 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Isaila* for my sample of this! For preparation, I steeped up 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in 8 oz. of boiling water for four minutes. Although now I'm wondering if that wasn't enough leaf or...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1188 tasting notes
  • “Snacking for dinner this evening. First, some leftover pasta, next up roasted yams and baked zucchini fries. This tea really doesn't go with any of it. But that's OK. I wanted something sweet...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1169 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Wish upon a star

Star anise is one of the most beautiful spices around…and also one of the most delicious. It has a sweet, subtle licorice taste that we just can’t resist. And some say it has magical properties: keeping star anise around is said to bring you good luck, happy dreams and even clairvoyance. Most importantly, it makes for some seriously delicious tea. Star anise and Ceylon black tea is a classic combination, but here we sweeten the deal even more with white chocolate, cocoa nibs and coconut. The result is sweet and creamy, with a hint of exotic spice. Now that’s star power.

Ingredients: Ceylon black tea, star anise, cocoa, white chocolate, coconut, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and coconut

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I found this tea lacking a robust or distinct flavour, it just seems like a mixture of multiple flavours, with nothing shining through.

The 2nd of my new David’s tea samples!
I never had the idea to try this tea before because, just like Rooibos de provence, it never catched my attention. It did yesterday because of the new Halloween gift box, which contains one tea I love – Organic stormy night – and which I was sure they didn’t have anymore in stores. So when I saw they had it – yay! – I gave a try to Ceylon star, because I would have if I would have bought the Halloween box.
First thing I noticed about it when I steeped it: its awesome white chocolate smell. It smells so good, I wanted to cup to stay on my desk forever. But I was a little afraid about the similarity with Chocolate cake tea, which smells awesome too, but doesn’t taste that good at all.
The taste of Ceylon star is creamy and the anise taste is not overpresent. I liked it, but I was a little disappointed because I would have liked to taste the coconut and chocolate more. Maybe I had to many tea leaves and not enough of the other ingredients in my cup? I will update the rating when I try it again!
Update
I tried it again and steeped it stronger. The white chocolate is more present – which I like a lot. I’m gonna give it a few more points because it was better this time.

I can’t believe I waited so long to try this tea – probably because I’m not the world’s biggest licorice fan – but still… there are so many other things going on in this tea that the licorice just plays a part, but is not the entirety, of the tea. Star anise and chocolate is not something that I would ever put together.

But it works! It works magically! The star anise is the first flavour I get followed by this chocolate-coconut-y magic. MAGIC, I SAY.

Tin and permanent collection worthy. Fantastic morning tea for fall/winter.

oh hello ridiculously large bags of tea from the web specials section.

I had one sample of this a few months ago and kept meaning to buy a ridiculously large bag of it anyway, so finding them on sale was a nice surprise a few weeks ago. This is one of the few black teas from this company that I’ve liked more than tepidly. They’ve mostly been way too artificial-flavoring sweet. I’m no tea Puritan and I like my estate blends as well as things with sprinkles in them, but when things taste like a vanilla car air freshener? Pass.

It seems like the ingredient list will be overwhelming but this is a nice subtle cup. Murky brew, oily sheen from the white choc bits but nothing out of control, and really nice aroma. I love anise and it isn’t hit-you-in-the-face in this. Neither is it a straight coconut flavor either. It’s nice with milk but it doesn’t intensify anything. I especially like this because its a black tea I can drink at night; the leaf volume isn’t really high and it still tasted good after forgetting about my steeping cup for ~10 mins.

Also tastes good mixed 1:1 with toasted maté for an extra kick.

My boyfriend suggested we try the sample of this tea that we received with a recent David’s Tea order. Being much more of fruit flavour person, I was prepared not to like it. However, I was intrigued enough by the decadent smell of the leaves to give it a shot. Was I ever pleasantly surprised! It was a complicated flavour but I felt that the warmth of the anise was beautifully balanced by the sweetness in the coconut. Sweetening it slightly with agave really helped bring out the coconut notes. Overall, I still tend to prefer fruit based flavours, but I would certainly go back for more of this. (My partner, who is a big anise fan, also adored it!)

Thank you Josie Jade for the sample of this! The dry leaves smell heavenly- warm, rich and spicy. It’s one of those teas that intrigues you from the very first whiff. (the anise really dominates the dry leaves) I steeped my cup for about 5 minutes (I could have waited a bit longer but it was rather difficult to restrain myself) First sip. Hm… Yum. Although I felt slightly apprehensive due to the fact I don’t exactly love anise flavored anything, I convinced myself the coconut and chocolate would make up for it. I had initially assumed this tea would be bolder tasting, but surprisingly, this tea sits more on the mild side of things. Sweet and subtle, with a kick of anise complementing the sweetness of the coconut and chocolate. What’s not to love?

I liked it but wouldn’t buy it again – when smelling it, the white chocolate smell seems to interupt everything and leave a bad smell in my nose. I had a cup before going to bed last night and I tasted sweetness, chocolate is definitely there… But I find it clashes with the other ingredients – that’s weird for me to say, because I love chocolate.

I think this one is my new fav. It was the ‘tea of the day’ today and .. I fell in love!! <3
the taste of the coconut and white chocolate .. amazing love love love

This was my special treat. I made a big travel mug on days when I knew work was going to be unbearable. I love liquorice, and this did have a slight liquorice flavour to it. I love coconut too, so the whole thing seemed to be made for me. On the whole, though, I found the flavour a bit underwhelming. I don’t like sugar in my tea so I didn’t want to have to go that route.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coconut, Licorice

This is why I swap. I would NEVER have tried this tea. Ceylon – ewwwww, star anise as in licorice, no thank you. I’ve bought teas dozens of times from Davids, never once even considered trying this.
I’m not getting any Ceylon or licorice. Nxtdoor wrote a note about this one a few days ago, and she said coconut was the predominate flavor. I agree with that. Chocolate and coconut and a little spice in the back.
I really like this. Is it discontinued (I remember seeing it on sale?), if not will pick some up next time I’m at Davids.
Thank you so much TheTeaFairy for sending this to me, would never have found it if you didn’t shove me outside my comfort zone. :))

Christina

It’s on sale on the DT website in the “Web Specials” section. However, you have to buy 250g in one go.

TheTeaFairy

So happy you liked it!
I have about 2 servings left and it’s heading your way :-)

Cavocorax

You can find it in store sometimes too in the 2/$5 section on the counter. I just saw it this weekend at the Bayview store. I also have… a lot of it, if you ever want to swap. :P (I may have bought the webspecial)

OMGsrsly

I haven’t seen a 2/$5 section in ages. It’s all been taken over by honey and chocolates…

MissB

Ah, this post made me smile. Yay for both of you! :)

Dexter3657

Like I said, this is a perfect example of why I love swaps/care packages – you never know what surprises you might run inot.
Thanks guys, will either take a look for it in store or swap for some more.
Cavocorax – I have a few teas that are on your wishlist if you ever want to reduce your stash of this – my cupboard is always open to swapping :))

Cavocorax

I didn’t see what Tea Fairy said about sending more to you, but if you decide you still like it, let me know. I don’t mind sending an oz or more your way. :D