Ceylon Star

Ceylon Black Tea, Cocoa, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Star Anise Bits, White Chocolate
Anise, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Sweet, White Chocolate, Chocolate, Licorice, Coconut
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Mmmm. To be honest I wasn't sure how excited I'd be to drink this again. It was so hit and miss from what I remember. (Sorry *ShayneBear*) So, because of this I've sorta had this 25g pack sitting...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1691 tasting notes
  • “I've had a giant cup of this tea for the last three days, and that's okay....you know why? Because I have 8.8 oz. on its way to me! Yep! When I saw it on the web special list for 48% off,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 535 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Isaila* for my sample of this! For preparation, I steeped up 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in 8 oz. of boiling water for four minutes. Although now I'm wondering if that wasn't enough leaf or...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1928 tasting notes
  • “Snacking for dinner this evening. First, some leftover pasta, next up roasted yams and baked zucchini fries. This tea really doesn't go with any of it. But that's OK. I wanted something sweet...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1457 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Wish upon a star

Star anise is one of the most beautiful spices around…and also one of the most delicious. It has a sweet, subtle licorice taste that we just can’t resist. And some say it has magical properties: keeping star anise around is said to bring you good luck, happy dreams and even clairvoyance. Most importantly, it makes for some seriously delicious tea. Star anise and Ceylon black tea is a classic combination, but here we sweeten the deal even more with white chocolate, cocoa nibs and coconut. The result is sweet and creamy, with a hint of exotic spice. Now that’s star power.

Ingredients: Ceylon black tea, star anise, cocoa, white chocolate, coconut, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and coconut

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I found this tea lacking a robust or distinct flavour, it just seems like a mixture of multiple flavours, with nothing shining through.

The 2nd of my new David’s tea samples!
I never had the idea to try this tea before because, just like Rooibos de provence, it never catched my attention. It did yesterday because of the new Halloween gift box, which contains one tea I love – Organic stormy night – and which I was sure they didn’t have anymore in stores. So when I saw they had it – yay! – I gave a try to Ceylon star, because I would have if I would have bought the Halloween box.
First thing I noticed about it when I steeped it: its awesome white chocolate smell. It smells so good, I wanted to cup to stay on my desk forever. But I was a little afraid about the similarity with Chocolate cake tea, which smells awesome too, but doesn’t taste that good at all.
The taste of Ceylon star is creamy and the anise taste is not overpresent. I liked it, but I was a little disappointed because I would have liked to taste the coconut and chocolate more. Maybe I had to many tea leaves and not enough of the other ingredients in my cup? I will update the rating when I try it again!
Update
I tried it again and steeped it stronger. The white chocolate is more present – which I like a lot. I’m gonna give it a few more points because it was better this time.

I can’t believe I waited so long to try this tea – probably because I’m not the world’s biggest licorice fan – but still… there are so many other things going on in this tea that the licorice just plays a part, but is not the entirety, of the tea. Star anise and chocolate is not something that I would ever put together.

But it works! It works magically! The star anise is the first flavour I get followed by this chocolate-coconut-y magic. MAGIC, I SAY.

Tin and permanent collection worthy. Fantastic morning tea for fall/winter.

oh hello ridiculously large bags of tea from the web specials section.

I had one sample of this a few months ago and kept meaning to buy a ridiculously large bag of it anyway, so finding them on sale was a nice surprise a few weeks ago. This is one of the few black teas from this company that I’ve liked more than tepidly. They’ve mostly been way too artificial-flavoring sweet. I’m no tea Puritan and I like my estate blends as well as things with sprinkles in them, but when things taste like a vanilla car air freshener? Pass.

It seems like the ingredient list will be overwhelming but this is a nice subtle cup. Murky brew, oily sheen from the white choc bits but nothing out of control, and really nice aroma. I love anise and it isn’t hit-you-in-the-face in this. Neither is it a straight coconut flavor either. It’s nice with milk but it doesn’t intensify anything. I especially like this because its a black tea I can drink at night; the leaf volume isn’t really high and it still tasted good after forgetting about my steeping cup for ~10 mins.

Also tastes good mixed 1:1 with toasted maté for an extra kick.

Love, love, love this tea! It always was a hit with me and my adoration for it has only grown over time. Since it is freezing here again (which I am actually embracing, soon enough I will be whining about the heat down south) it was time to pull out a hot tea. The anise and chocolate paired with a nice, light base tea, really pulled me through my evening visit like nobody’s business. I really need to reach for this tea much more often!

Dexter

It was crazy hot here today – I am NOT complaining – after that insane winter a little was nice. Hope you get to enjoy some soon. :))

mewakeling

Your in the south of the province right? We are heading south. I have to admit, I am terrified about moving to a larger urban centre, but I sure am looking forward to the weather!

Thank you Josie Jade for the sample of this! The dry leaves smell heavenly- warm, rich and spicy. It’s one of those teas that intrigues you from the very first whiff. (the anise really dominates the dry leaves) I steeped my cup for about 5 minutes (I could have waited a bit longer but it was rather difficult to restrain myself) First sip. Hm… Yum. Although I felt slightly apprehensive due to the fact I don’t exactly love anise flavored anything, I convinced myself the coconut and chocolate would make up for it. I had initially assumed this tea would be bolder tasting, but surprisingly, this tea sits more on the mild side of things. Sweet and subtle, with a kick of anise complementing the sweetness of the coconut and chocolate. What’s not to love?

I liked it but wouldn’t buy it again – when smelling it, the white chocolate smell seems to interupt everything and leave a bad smell in my nose. I had a cup before going to bed last night and I tasted sweetness, chocolate is definitely there… But I find it clashes with the other ingredients – that’s weird for me to say, because I love chocolate.

I think this one is my new fav. It was the ‘tea of the day’ today and .. I fell in love!! <3
the taste of the coconut and white chocolate .. amazing love love love

First cup of the day. This one is always so pleasant. Sweet and spicy and light. I kind of wish I had sugar in it today, but the sugar is all the way across the room and my tea and I are right here.

I really like how pretty the dried leaf is. The white chocolate curls and the big pieces of star anise are lovely to look at.

Sad this was discontinued, glad I stocked up.

Flavors: Anise, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Sweet, White Chocolate

Dexter

250g is 50% off on the website if you wanted to stock up even more. :))

Anlina

Heh, already did so. Between me and my sweetie we have over 500g of it, so I think we’ll be good for a while.

This is one of my favourite teas. It is creamy, and yummy and chocolatey. The coconut is there, but very subtle. I bought a giant bag on Web Special and there are enough anise stars for every cup (and they are so cool looking!) For the record, this tea is delicious with a splash of Bailey’s.

Flavors: Anise, Chocolate, Licorice