Ceylon Star

Ceylon Black Tea, Cocoa, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Star Anise Bits, White Chocolate
Anise, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Sweet, White Chocolate, Chocolate, Licorice, Coconut
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Mmmm. To be honest I wasn't sure how excited I'd be to drink this again. It was so hit and miss from what I remember. (Sorry *ShayneBear*) So, because of this I've sorta had this 25g pack sitting...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “I've had a giant cup of this tea for the last three days, and that's okay....you know why? Because I have 8.8 oz. on its way to me! Yep! When I saw it on the web special list for 48% off,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 569 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Isaila* for my sample of this! For preparation, I steeped up 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in 8 oz. of boiling water for four minutes. Although now I'm wondering if that wasn't enough leaf or...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2037 tasting notes
  • “Snacking for dinner this evening. First, some leftover pasta, next up roasted yams and baked zucchini fries. This tea really doesn't go with any of it. But that's OK. I wanted something sweet...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1495 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Wish upon a star

Star anise is one of the most beautiful spices around…and also one of the most delicious. It has a sweet, subtle licorice taste that we just can’t resist. And some say it has magical properties: keeping star anise around is said to bring you good luck, happy dreams and even clairvoyance. Most importantly, it makes for some seriously delicious tea. Star anise and Ceylon black tea is a classic combination, but here we sweeten the deal even more with white chocolate, cocoa nibs and coconut. The result is sweet and creamy, with a hint of exotic spice. Now that’s star power.

Ingredients: Ceylon black tea, star anise, cocoa, white chocolate, coconut, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and coconut

About DAVIDsTEA View company

A tea with White Chocolate? YES PLEASE. This tea combines both the sweetness of the white chocolate and spice of the licorice with a hint of coconut that makes for a perfect mug to snuggle up and stay in for the night. One of my favourite’s hands down.

Flavors: Coconut, Licorice, White Chocolate

First impressions: While this tea was tasty, I found it to be a little weak/light, and the lack of anise flavor was disappointing (very much just an undertone). I did pick up on a lot of cocoa notes, though.
Pairs amazingly well with a plain bagel and peanut butter.

This was my special treat. I made a big travel mug on days when I knew work was going to be unbearable. I love liquorice, and this did have a slight liquorice flavour to it. I love coconut too, so the whole thing seemed to be made for me. On the whole, though, I found the flavour a bit underwhelming. I don’t like sugar in my tea so I didn’t want to have to go that route.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coconut, Licorice

This is why I swap. I would NEVER have tried this tea. Ceylon – ewwwww, star anise as in licorice, no thank you. I’ve bought teas dozens of times from Davids, never once even considered trying this.
I’m not getting any Ceylon or licorice. Nxtdoor wrote a note about this one a few days ago, and she said coconut was the predominate flavor. I agree with that. Chocolate and coconut and a little spice in the back.
I really like this. Is it discontinued (I remember seeing it on sale?), if not will pick some up next time I’m at Davids.
Thank you so much TheTeaFairy for sending this to me, would never have found it if you didn’t shove me outside my comfort zone. :))

Christina

It’s on sale on the DT website in the “Web Specials” section. However, you have to buy 250g in one go.

TheTeaFairy

So happy you liked it!
I have about 2 servings left and it’s heading your way :-)

Cavocorax

You can find it in store sometimes too in the 2/$5 section on the counter. I just saw it this weekend at the Bayview store. I also have… a lot of it, if you ever want to swap. :P (I may have bought the webspecial)

OMGsrsly

I haven’t seen a 2/$5 section in ages. It’s all been taken over by honey and chocolates…

MissB

Ah, this post made me smile. Yay for both of you! :)

Dexter

Like I said, this is a perfect example of why I love swaps/care packages – you never know what surprises you might run inot.
Thanks guys, will either take a look for it in store or swap for some more.
Cavocorax – I have a few teas that are on your wishlist if you ever want to reduce your stash of this – my cupboard is always open to swapping :))

Cavocorax

I didn’t see what Tea Fairy said about sending more to you, but if you decide you still like it, let me know. I don’t mind sending an oz or more your way. :D

Tea from TheTeaFairy, Thank you!

I have been mildly curious about this one but the whole star anise in the dry leaf is not my thing. Interestingly enough, all I can taste is coconut . I can’t taste any licorice. I can totally smell it in the wet leaf but I don’t get any flavour. Not interested in resteeping to see if it will come out especially since I don’t like licorice. Maybe I’ve had the sample too long and didn’t properly care for it.

I’m glad this sample is a sipdown. I will finish the cup. maybe.

Didn’t realize this tea was on it’s way out when I was talked into buying 25g last night. I only really get the licorice taste as an after note with this tea, otherwise it’s just kind of a mild spiced tea for me. Nice, but nothing to write home about. At least in my opinion.

Flavors: Anise, Cinnamon, Licorice

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

I don’t like licorice. Why am I drinking this tea? Why do I have this tea? (The girl at the davidstea lied to me, by the way. I asked for a quarter of an ounce and she gave me a full half.) Why do I do this to myself?

It’s… not terrible, which is saying something. It smells really good, actually (although I didn’t put the giant anise star in my cup. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of this tea, doesn’t it? Oh well.) It tastes pretty good, too, sweet and creamy and chocolatey like chocolatey davidstea blends are wont to be. But every couple sips I get hit with the most terrible licoricey aftertaste, and I remember why I shouldn’t own this tea. We’ll see. Maybe it’s an acquirable taste?

Not giving this a rating, for obvious reasons.

Yet another tea David’s Tea that I’ve reviewed and liked, but David’s Tea seems to have discontinued. crabby face Not a huge like mind you, it’s kind of bordering on the ‘Good, but not good enough to keep in my cupboard.’ But it’s occurred to me that I don’t have a lot of black teas….well, I’m supposed to be on hiatus (with exception of tea stash sales and giveaways of course!) So buying more black teas will mostly have to wait, probably till after I move. Well actually that should say, buying more teas in general will have to wait.

The taste: I do taste the anise, which I generally like…but I don’t taste much else….though I think I might be tasting bare hint of the white chocolate. You know, I’m just remembering that when it comes to every other chocolate tea I’ve pretty much had the same reaction…like it’s an ok cup…kind of borderline of whether I would get it again but ultimately decide not to because I don’t love it, and a bit of a pain in the butt to get. (I still prefer buying my teas in person, which in some ways does help with the hiatus.) So, the end result is that even though it’s borderline, if it were still offered, I would seriously consider getting a full bag of it, just to see if maybe I would grow to like it more.

Final Note: this tea would probably make a good Latte.

Flavors: Chocolate, Licorice

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp
TeaJunkie1985

It hasn’t been discontinued, they are probably low on stock so their putting it on special.

This tea smells AMAZING. In the bag, and brewed. Totally amazing. I just can’t get over the licorice. I was hoping it wouldn’t be such a dominant flavor, but with every sip I’m getting a mouthful of licorice and I just can’t handle that much licorice. I’m keeping the teapot on my desk, however, til I brew my next tea.. it smells so good!!

I picked this up as a 2/$5 25g special with the Organic Pure Chai. Steeped up smells great – reminds me of Chocolate Rocket. I like the Star Anise and Coconut flavours. A really nice tea and low caffeine for when I’m craving Chocolate Rocket in the evening when I ought to be cutting the caffeine.