Coconut Oolong

Oolong Tea
Butter, Coconut, Flowers, Grass, Lemon Zest, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

2 Images

• “This tea is much better this time around! I may have steeped 30 s less or something, but this is not nearly as overpowering as the first time I had it. It still packs a wallop of coconut and has...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 825 tasting notes
  • “I had one serving left, so I just made it up as a latte. 50/50 unsweetened almond milk and water. A little brown sugar. Steeped slowly on the stove while I organized my tea cupboard and pulled out...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1173 tasting notes
  • “OMG I'm so excited! I could hardly wait to go to David's. I ever so impatiently, sat through my lab, watching every minute tick by on the clock agonizingly slowly, until finally I was free! Then I...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 600 tasting notes
  • “At last, DT's rendition of a coconut oolong. I appreciate how the dry leaf smells like actual coconut. Not artificial at all, and I can tell already that it's going to be creamy. Coconut milk...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Cuckoo for coconut

We are big fans of coconuts around here – they might just be the coolest food on the planet. For one thing, they’ve been around since prehistoric times, making them one of the oldest plants you can find. Plus they have so many amazing applications, it’s no wonder people in Malaysia call the coconut palm “The Tree of a Thousand Uses.” But as far as we’re concerned, the number one reason to love them is this delicious coconut and oolong blend. Creamy, rich, sweet and fresh, it’s satisfying, comforting and completely addictive. Take it from us: you’ll go nuts for it.

Ingredients: Pao Zhong oolong tea, coconut flakes, artificial coconut flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

this is delicious. perfect time of year for this perfect cup.
wow.
sometimes i just feel so lucky and so thankful to have something as simple and beautiful as tea in my life.

this tastes exactly like the coconut oolong i got from carytown teas, and i’m glad it does, cuz it would be daunting to have 2 big tins of coconut oolongs to drink. but they really are identical. which makes sense cuz it’s not a complicated tea. so since they taste the same, after sampling it plain for a while, i added a little agave. a little a little. it’s taken some time for me to learn how little a little actually is with agave.
yummy yum yum.

and that’s one less tea in my cupboard. :)

Amariel

I do love this one!

Kittenna

They may in fact be the same tea. That’s my theory, anyhow.

I’ve had this a sample in my stash so I decided to try it – as iced. I’ve had migraines all this week and I love a glass of iced tea when I’m feeling sick.

This is light and airy as a tea – perfect for an iced tea blend. I didn’t need any sugar (it’s rare that I add it nowadays anyway); the coconut is sweet enough. I was also able to reinfuse the leaves for a total of three times – stretching the tea dollar is always nice.

Since it’s a sample, I’m keeping the last part to try hot. Will report back soon! :)

Thank you for sending some of this my way Courtney!

I really enjoyed this cup (even though I’m lame and let it cool to tepid on the counter before I remembered I had made it). It’s a really balanced combination of floral, nutty and sweet coconutty. It’s a little heavy and almost brothy cup, but surprisingly not too buttery. But while not buttery, there is a really pleasant mild creaminess! The coconut isn’t an in-your-face suntan lotion kind of coconut, but more of a natural coconut feeling. Like if I were drinking my tea out of a coconut shell.

I’m really surprised (and happy) about this cup! Thank you!

Thanks Jessiwrites for a sample of this! I’m on my second steep and I’m really enjoying it. Next time I place a David’s order it will be on my list for sure. Very creamy coconut.

whatshesaid

This is one of my all time faves :)

Tealizzy

Yes! Second steep is WAY better!!

This is a sad sipdown. I don’t know why DavidsTea doesn’t offer this wonderful oolong anymore but they don’t and I’m going to have to find another coconut oolong elsewhere. Oh well… I guess I should branch out and see what else is available. I think Zen Tea has coconut oolong.

For now this is delicious. Fragrant and full of coconut notes. Yum.

Dry Leaf Nose: Coconut are up front with oolong on the background.

Liquor: light green and clear with a definite fresh and sweet coconut juice aroma.

Flavour: Coconut comes through in the beginning and dominates both the nose and the cup. The oolong shows well mid palate and balances in the finish by lingering.

Sometimes I wonder how much our moods go into the experience of a tea tasting… for example, this morning I am grumpy. I know my apartment is a big mess but I haven’t been up to giving it a thorough cleaning since I broke my arm and that was back in February! I keep thinking I should hire some help but I don’t know if I should do that when I’m not working. The last estimate I got was $100 for one session.

Anyway grumpiness aside I was looking forward to trying this coconut oolong. I was just looking at my Steepter notes and evidently I tried this at the David’s Tea in Victoria last summer, I just don’t remember too much about it. I’ve had a few coconut oolongs in the past including Golden Moon’s and Rishi’s versions and I liked them both very much. This coconut oolong definitely tastes like coconut, but I also think the flavor is overwhelmingly artificial and obscures the natural flavor of the oolong underneath. I will definitely need to try this again soon but it would have been nice if I was getting any of the buttery notes I feel like I should be getting from the oolong itself. Maybe a shorter steeping time would help too. Or a cold brew? I’m already wondering how this would taste in a smoothie – lmao

Terri HarpLady

I know what you mean about our moods effecting our perceptions. When it’s allergy season, I find myself with a tendency to be a grumpus, & to be overly sensitive on pretty much all levels (emotional, mental, etc) including chemicals, like artificial flavorings (which bother me anyway).
I look to tea to help restore balance, but if I’m looking for certain comforting tastes & I don’t taste them because my tastebuds are on the fritz, that just adds to my grumpiness.

Tealizzy

This one’s better iced. It tones down the coconut flavor. FYI – they re-released it with added lemongrass, and it’s not bad!

TeaBrat

I have the newest version and I did not detect any lemongrass in there…

whatshesaid

I smelled that new one the other day in the store and I can confirm it smells exactly the same as last year’s blend! (Was that last year? The year before??)

whatshesaid

I mean despite the supposed lemongrass addition

This is one of the new teas from the Spring Collection that I was really looking forward to trying, and I waited til today to try it as I had hoped to try getting multiple steeps on a day off that I can’t get on a work day. That said, I still haven;t had a second cup yet, as I bought a drink while I was out at the store and have been drinking that since I got back. It’s called Rumble, and it is a local item, although made in the US. The guy that made it lives in the neighbourhood to the east of me. I had never had it and was curious. Anyways…

I like this tea, so far, though I don’t think my brewing was stellar this morning, and I’ve had to heat it in the microwave a few times because it has cooled off too fast. I don’t think that I’ve really given this tea a good shot to be what it really can be. It was definitely nutty, and I had vague deja vu of Toasted Walnut when I was drinking this tea. I do like the clean, fresh, and simplistic taste of this. This tea does not try to grab your attention with too many bells and whistles; it just grabs your attention for what it truly is.

I am not rating it til I have more, but it will be a good rating, just unsure how good to rate it.

CrowKettle

I want to drink this beside Toasted Walnut now because I think you’re right and this is nutty in a way that isn’t entirely coconut.

Amariel

A side by side would rock. Interesting how similar they taste, yet Toasted Walnut has pineapple in it too…but that doesn’t stand out too much. I think they are both really good. The only reason I stopped drinking Toasted Walnut is because of my shiny thing syndrome and I have a tendency to fudge up brewing it, so I have bitter tea, more often than not. :( But the Coconut Oolong seems a little more forgiving.

Thanks Tealizzy for letting me try this one! I love coconut :) this is very nice, but I think I prefer the Golden Moon coconut Pouchong slightly more. They are very similar though!

Tealizzy

Ha! Me too! Well, now we know which one’s best!

I don’t normally like oolong teas all that much. I find them very floral, and strange. I got this one after the sales associate told me it was amazing and to smell it. I instantly loved the creamy sweet smell of it and picked up 50g. I have been drinking it like crazy, as it is the perfect tea for any time of day! I am loving it! I am going to make a pitcher of it iced, and I think I may squeeze some lemon into it.