Coconut Oolong

Oolong Tea
Coconut, Cream, Floral, Mineral, Nuts, Roasted, Milk, Vegetal, Lemongrass, Butter, Flowers, Grass, Lemon Zest, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

2 Images

• “This tea is much better this time around! I may have steeped 30 s less or something, but this is not nearly as overpowering as the first time I had it. It still packs a wallop of coconut and has...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 903 tasting notes
  • “I had one serving left, so I just made it up as a latte. 50/50 unsweetened almond milk and water. A little brown sugar. Steeped slowly on the stove while I organized my tea cupboard and pulled out...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1422 tasting notes
  • “OMG I'm so excited! I could hardly wait to go to David's. I ever so impatiently, sat through my lab, watching every minute tick by on the clock agonizingly slowly, until finally I was free! Then I...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 678 tasting notes
  • “At last, DT's rendition of a coconut oolong. I appreciate how the dry leaf smells like actual coconut. Not artificial at all, and I can tell already that it's going to be creamy. Coconut milk...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Cuckoo for coconut

We are big fans of coconuts around here – they might just be the coolest food on the planet. For one thing, they’ve been around since prehistoric times, making them one of the oldest plants you can find. Plus they have so many amazing applications, it’s no wonder people in Malaysia call the coconut palm “The Tree of a Thousand Uses.” But as far as we’re concerned, the number one reason to love them is this delicious coconut and oolong blend. Creamy, rich, sweet and fresh, it’s satisfying, comforting and completely addictive. Take it from us: you’ll go nuts for it.

Ingredients: Pao Zhong oolong tea, coconut flakes, artificial coconut flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Mmmm! I love coconut so I had to try this (I am not a big fan of artificial flavours but coconut flavouring I don’t mind). Seriously the coconut compliments the oolong so well. Might just become a staple in our cupboard!

This was the 3rd tea of the spring collection that I tried for the first time this morning. I LOVE coconut and I am really starting to drink oolong teas. This one for me was really dissapointing from the start. I found the smell to be really artificial and almost chemical-like. When steeped, this tea becomes a really light shade of yellow. Again, the taste was slightly chemical-like. I am not planning to brew this one again for a while but it did give me the idea to make a coconut oolong cookie and use this tea in the recipe. If I am able to do that, I will be sure to post the recipe!

My first experiment with a loose leaf oolong. The dry leaves were incredibly enticing as soon as I opened the package. They smelled delicious with the perfect coconut aroma. I steeped it at 190 for about 4 minutes and the smell afterwards was not as nice. It almost smelled a bit overpowering.

Seeing as how I enjoy trying new teas with no additives, this one was pretty good. It was creamy but not too rich or overpowering as the smell suggested. I may add a bit of sugar next time thought, because it could be a bit sweeter.

My co-worker gave this tea to me and its really nice. I like how it’s only flavored with JUST coconut and not a whole bunch of other ingredients. It’s nice and simple :)

I had a long day at the science centre with about 7000 kids…. Needless to say I needed a cup of tea when I got home. This tea called my name.. It smells amazing. It tastes really good to. Sweet coconut with a smooth texture. Reminds me of Coco Lemon Thai but more subtle. I really like it.

This is another fantastic Oolong blend from DavidsTea! The use of Pao Zhong oolong is a clever choice as its lightly fermented which adds a light floral backdrop to the coconut flavor. This also allowed the coconut to really come through while offering some unique and subtle notes to the brew. The coconut flavoring does come through as mostly natural with only a slight artificial taste on the palate on the first steep. As with any Oolong tea this blend really blossoms on the 3rd and 4th steeps as the flavors meld together perfectly with a smooth velvety finish.

I really wanted to like Coconut Oolong.

I love coconut. The taste, the smell, everything about it is great. I also like Oolong tea. It’s my favourite kind after Green tea, so in theory I should like Coconut Oolong, right? Unfortunately not.

I tried Coconut Oolong tonight when I went to check out the new Spring Collection. The smell was really nice, so I this was the tea I chose first. I was very disappointed with the results though. The oolong itself was fine, but I found the coconut to be clashing against it. I found this weird, as I like coconut teas. I tried Coco-Lemon Thai the other day and I really liked that. However, with Coconut Oolong, I found myself actively disliking it.

I didn’t taste the creaminess described by Davids Tea, instead I just had a generally unpleasant taste in my mouth. Maybe I was just unlucky, could I have gotten some bad ingredients? I hope so, since like I said, I want to like this tea. I’ll have to try it again the next time it’s being sampled. The tea did get better towards the end of the drink, so I still have hope.

The David’s Tea store today was crazy busy or else I would have lingered and smelled a bunch of flavors, but today I was on a mission: try a tea that wasn’t a brewed flavor of the day. More than once the staff at this David’s Tea have been drinking Coconut Oolong as they work and have suggested I try it. So today was the day; I got this flavor brewed fresh and hot at double steepage and poured over ice.

Perhaps I’m just a noob but I don’t quite understand why some oolongs are so much lighter and greener than others, both in leaf and in brew color. This one was very green, and brewed up a pale yellow green. I’m not usually a huge fan of tropical flavors but the coconut in this added mostly butter cream flavors and toasted, nutty notes along with the rich mineral taste of the oolong, and even some vegetal, floral notes on the aftertaste. I can see why this is a favorite with David’s Tea employees. I enjoyed this flavor quite a bit and was glad to get a tea from David’s that wasn’t all rainbow pompoms and sugar-flavors. I’ll have to venture away from their flashy, popular blends and give more of their core teas a try, because this was delicious. Well-balanced but attention-grabbing; creamy, nutty, complex.

Flavors: Coconut, Cream, Floral, Mineral, Nuts, Roasted

Skysamurai

I love this blend

ashmanra

I am no expert, but I will offer what I can and hope it is right! Oolong describes a range of oxidation between green and black tea. Lightly oxidized oolong is referred to as green oolong sometimes, while more heavily oxidized oolong is sometimes called roasted. It can approach the oxidation of black tea rather closely and even resemble it, while Ruby #18 is a black tea that looks and behaves like a oolong! I keep thinking I like green oolong, then….NO! I like roasted….NO! green is best, lol! Some sites even sell Dong Ding or Tung Ting in varying levels of oxidation.

This may sound strange, but the scent/taste of this tea reminds me of… milk. I don’t get much coconut out of this. The minute I smelled it, I thought, “hmm. smells like milk.” When I tasted it, it was like just drinking a hot cup of milk lol! With a slight taste of oolong. Yeah, not a fan of this one. But you get a lot for 30 grams!!

Flavors: Milk, Vegetal

I was super confident that I was going to like this tea….and I didn’t. I mean, come on, I love coconut and oolong! The smell was not good. I’m not a huge fan of the smell of lemon grass and in this tea it came across as extremely unappetizing. The coconut flavor was good; it came through strong at the beginning of the sip and the lemongrass flavor wasn’t as strong as the smell had led me to believe it was going to be. However, the lemongrass lingered and lingered and lingered at the end of each sip. I even felt like the smell was following me around the lab. There was an oily feel that this tea left in my mouth that I was not a fan of in the slightest. Thank you Virginia for sending me a sample of this because there’s an excellent chance I would have bought some of this and then been stuck with a tea I don’t like!

Flavors: Coconut, Lemongrass

Virginia

I know, I find it weird too. It’s super sad ‘cause once in a while it’s WOW and then it disappoints the rest of the time. Boo.

mj

I’ll have to try it again then! Maybe it will wow me the second time :-)