Honeydew Mate

Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Green Rooibos, Green Yerba Mate, Hibiscus Blossoms
Earth, Floral, Green Melons, Jasmine, Melon, Sweet, Fruity, Honeydew
High
Edit tea info Last updated by georgienne

From DAVIDsTEA

Use your melon

Whether you’re looking for a pick-me-up or just a great tasting drink, steeping a cup of this tea is one of the smartest things you can do. For starters, it’s got green yerba maté, for a smooth-drinking, all-natural energy boost. Then it has green rooibos, which is packed with so much good stuff, it’s even better for you than regular rooibos. And on top of it all, it’s got the fresh, juicy taste of honeydew melon. Energizing, healthy AND delicious? This one’s a no brainer.

Ingredients: green yerba mate, green rooibos white hibiscus blossoms, melon pieces, natural flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I am a big fan of mate and honey (and honeydew is one of my favourite fruits!) so I was extremely looking forward to tasting this tea. I am happy to say it did not disappoint me at all :)

The tea tastes like it smells, the honeydew flavour is the main star but that means I can’t really taste anything else. I also like that there is rooibos in this tea to kind of round out the mate. This tea is definitely stimulating but gently shakes you awake with every smooth sip~ Overall, I absolutely love this tea!

I have tried only one other mate so I decided to give this one a try because I LOVE melon anything! Well, I regretted it when I took it to work with me and didn’t like it. I had to pour it down the drain and I didn’t have supplies to make myself another tea! I really wanted to like it but it seems that mate teas are not for me. They taste very earthy and I prefer a sweet tasting tea.

Flavors: Earth

I tried this tea as part of the limited edition “They’re Back” collection, which included three discontinued teas from past spring collections. With this collection, you got a small amount of each tea. You could, however, get larger quantities of each of the teas online only….which was too bad, because by the time I tried out the Honeydew Mate and discovered that I loved it, it had already sold out online! So, I could not pick up any more of this tea, which is a pity, because I really like it! Oh, the dangers of finding teas that you love only to have them discontinued! But it is a risk that you just have to take when you love tea!

Oh, my dear Honeydew Mate… how I do adore you. And how heartbroken I am that you have disappeared, yet again, from DAVIDs site. ((Sigh))….

This tea is so lovely. Packed with flavor, yet light on the palette, it proves to be such a refreshing tea with a wonderful energy boost to it. The flavors are a round & soft melon with an ever-subtle sweetness lingering in the back. I’ve found this tea is super versatile with mixing!! Adds such a nice twist to other teas… such a DAVIDs The Earl’s Garden. It softens the earl grey base and adds a soft fruitiness that compliments the strawberry notes in TEG.

So sad to see this one go again… and SO HEARTBROKEN that I was unable to stock up before it disappeared from the site, especially as the closest store to me is a 6-8 hour drive! ((sob))

Until we meet again, my Honeydew. xo

Flavors: Floral, Green Melons, Jasmine, Melon, Sweet

Loooooooove this tea! My order finally came in with the “flashback teas”! So glad I got all three of them to try.

The smell of this dry is so off-putting. It smells so artificial when it’s dry. I think this is where people would smell bubblegum. Once I put this into some hot water though…HOLY DYNA the smell was amazing! I have no clue why this happened, but this is what I got from it. The taste was just as good as the smell! It’s light and fruity, but still has earthy undertones. This is the second maté that I’ve tried and I really like it! I didn’t get as big of a caffeine rush as I did with The Buzz, but that was a good thing in my eyes.

I was able to make two cups out of the one tea bag too which was quite nice because it was great both times around. The flavour did not weaken at all. I probably could have gotten a third cup out of it if I really wanted to.

I love this! I wish I had ordered more. It sucks that they don’t carry this all the time, because I would have a permanent stash of this if I could. I guess my 50g will have to suffice. sigh

Flavors: Earth, Fruity, Honeydew, Sweet

tanyasew

I totally agree. I love it too. And I just have my tiny sample, like you. Come on, David’s Tea! Bring it back for good!

This is the other tea I purchased from David’s “blast from the past” collection. I love the melon flavoring in teas like Lupicia’s rooibos honeydew so I was hoping for that combined with the energy boost of mate.

I’ve clearly been spoiled by Lupicia’s melon flavorings. The rooibos in this blend just isn’t the same quality so you get a hint of the woody flavor. The note of melon is there, mostly in the aftertaste. With that said, this is one of the better tasting mate blends I’ve had. The melon flavor complements the earthy mate making this pretty tasty. I’ll be icing this to tame the woodiness and kickstart my mornings this summer.

A very nice fruity tea. Thank you to ccoppens for sharing, I have a feeling this one would be delicious iced as well.

Flavors: Honeydew, Melon

Chris Coppens

mm sounds good, we should try it iced sometime!

Probably my most liked mate blend (again, it’s the fruit). I hoarded this as much as I could, and I was very sad to see my stash go. I hope this comes back again in the spring!

Honeydew Mate is another good tea to drink in the morning. It’s a mate tea, so basically, it’s a stimulant! There are lots of melon pieces in this tea. Personally, I hate it when there are so few fruit pieces and so many tea leaves! But this is not the case here.

I wouldn’t think that honeydew would have this much flavor to offer in a tea (it is really quite a bland fruit itself), but this tea is bursting with fruity flavor!

Another sample package from DT’s, one that I was intrigued by… honeydew mate. I enjoy the fresh fruit, but I’ve never been able to find anything else that actually was able to replicate the actual flavor without it becoming artificial. Well with nothing to do but try it out :D

Dry this tea punches you in the face with it’s extremely sweet scent. It does actually smell like honeydew (if a bit artificial and concentrated) so it’s somewhat of a success on that side of things but I can’t really find the other scents due to how overpowering the sweet honeydew aroma is.

Steeped this tea’s liquor is a clear orange color. It still smells like honeydew but luckily isn’t as sweet as the dry tea and it has lost some of that artificial scent. Instead you can actually start to smell the yerba mate as a slightly darker note underneath the honeydew along with a very slight floral tone from the hibiscus.

The flavor profile is very light and definitely maintains that honeydew flavor; I was quite surprised at how real that flavor became after steeping, especially given the artificial quality of the dry tea’s scent. And the mate warms up the melon flavor quite nicely, it’s actually almost like drinking the fruit portion of a crumble, it has that kind of baked quality to it. As for the hibiscus, you get hits of it every once and a while, just enough to round out the top end of the flavor profile but without giving it an overly floral flavor. As for the green rooibos, it helps to lighten the mate up enough to really make this blend work but flavor wise I don’t find that it really added much. Then again I think that if this tea was any more complicated it would fall through, it’s the simplicity that really helps it to balance out.

Overall I was quite surprised by this tea, it successfully pulled off a hard flavor without it being overly artificial. Light and refreshing it would be good hot or cold and can really wake up your palette on those days when everything seems to be a bit dull.