Honeydew Mate

Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

From DAVIDsTEA

Use your melon

Whether you’re looking for a pick-me-up or just a great tasting drink, steeping a cup of this tea is one of the smartest things you can do. For starters, it’s got green yerba maté, for a smooth-drinking, all-natural energy boost. Then it has green rooibos, which is packed with so much good stuff, it’s even better for you than regular rooibos. And on top of it all, it’s got the fresh, juicy taste of honeydew melon. Energizing, healthy AND delicious? This one’s a no brainer.

Ingredients: green yerba mate, green rooibos white hibiscus blossoms, melon pieces, natural flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I am a big fan of mate and honey (and honeydew is one of my favourite fruits!) so I was extremely looking forward to tasting this tea. I am happy to say it did not disappoint me at all :)

The tea tastes like it smells, the honeydew flavour is the main star but that means I can’t really taste anything else. I also like that there is rooibos in this tea to kind of round out the mate. This tea is definitely stimulating but gently shakes you awake with every smooth sip~ Overall, I absolutely love this tea!

Honeydew Mate is another good tea to drink in the morning. It’s a mate tea, so basically, it’s a stimulant! There are lots of melon pieces in this tea. Personally, I hate it when there are so few fruit pieces and so many tea leaves! But this is not the case here.

I wouldn’t think that honeydew would have this much flavor to offer in a tea (it is really quite a bland fruit itself), but this tea is bursting with fruity flavor!

Another sample package from DT’s, one that I was intrigued by… honeydew mate. I enjoy the fresh fruit, but I’ve never been able to find anything else that actually was able to replicate the actual flavor without it becoming artificial. Well with nothing to do but try it out :D

Dry this tea punches you in the face with it’s extremely sweet scent. It does actually smell like honeydew (if a bit artificial and concentrated) so it’s somewhat of a success on that side of things but I can’t really find the other scents due to how overpowering the sweet honeydew aroma is.

Steeped this tea’s liquor is a clear orange color. It still smells like honeydew but luckily isn’t as sweet as the dry tea and it has lost some of that artificial scent. Instead you can actually start to smell the yerba mate as a slightly darker note underneath the honeydew along with a very slight floral tone from the hibiscus.

The flavor profile is very light and definitely maintains that honeydew flavor; I was quite surprised at how real that flavor became after steeping, especially given the artificial quality of the dry tea’s scent. And the mate warms up the melon flavor quite nicely, it’s actually almost like drinking the fruit portion of a crumble, it has that kind of baked quality to it. As for the hibiscus, you get hits of it every once and a while, just enough to round out the top end of the flavor profile but without giving it an overly floral flavor. As for the green rooibos, it helps to lighten the mate up enough to really make this blend work but flavor wise I don’t find that it really added much. Then again I think that if this tea was any more complicated it would fall through, it’s the simplicity that really helps it to balance out.

Overall I was quite surprised by this tea, it successfully pulled off a hard flavor without it being overly artificial. Light and refreshing it would be good hot or cold and can really wake up your palette on those days when everything seems to be a bit dull.

okay, not a ‘summer tea’ persay, but i guess i didn’t get around to reviewing it in my last batch of samples. isn’t this a fairly new tea though? i can’t find it on the website… maybe it didn’t do well! unfortunate.

mates are tough for me; i used to LOVE honey bee, but now when i smell it i start to feel nauseated – no idea why. anyway…

really mellony at the start, but almost sort of… bland? kind of dusty maybe, at the end. blerg. not a fan. just as well as it’s not a keeper with DAVIDs either! ah well

good. fruity in a refreshing melon way. i hope it is energizing too!

When I got the Spring collection for Easter, this was the one I was least excited to try (I HATE MELON!!!). So, this one has been sitting in my cupboard for nearly a month unopened. Today I finally got curious and tore open the pack. Wow…what a surprise! I actually like it and will finish the cup. This collection was quite surprising for me…the teas I expected to love the most I winded up hating and vice versa. I will definetely finish the 25g bag that was in the collection. I can’t say that I would re-stock but I am glad I tried it.

The green rooibos and honeydew melon is a really good blend, because it is light but has a great taste!