Coconut Grove

Fruit White Blend
Coconut, Butter, Mineral, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “My morning cold brew today! I'm sad this is gone; I've really fallen in love with the idea of having a cold brewed pretty much straight up coconut tea around during the spring/summer seasons...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1658 tasting notes
  • “ZOMG I am typing this on my very first iPad. My laptop's HD went kaput and the techs have had it for days now. My mom encouraged me to get one and reassured me that I'm worth it since I did well in...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “*Backlog* This was the last of this I had floating around, which is a little sad because I really think this is one of the better just coconut teas I've had. It was still buttery and creamy, and...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes
  • “Made the last of this one as a tea pop. I cold brewed it for about 8 hours. Mixed half and half with Perrier. Turned out pretty good. The tea is very light tasting, very much tastes like...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 753 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Simply sophisticated

We all know coconuts are fun. Just think of a tiki cocktail with a little paper umbrella. Or the coconut shell bikini on a hula girl. But did you know the coconut can be seriously sophisticated too? Like when you pair it with premium Bai Mu Dan white tea – a naturally sweet, delicate leaf from Fujian Province in China. The result is subtle and fresh, with just a hint of creaminess. Looks like coconut’s all grown up. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: White Bai Mu Dan tea, coconut, natural vanilla flavouring, natural & artificial coconut flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

The bag says to steep this at 92°C but I never quite manage to do that. Also my brain is wired for delicate teas at 80°. Anyway, an 80° steep works well for this blend. There’s a bit of an oil slick across the top of the tea but I blame all the delicious coconut on that!

I still haven’t gotten around to icing this one. I might even try a cold steep for once! Gotta get some sweet jars for cold brews. My latest obsession is the More Tea Tea Bottle so no doubt that’ll be in the fridge soon enough…

Courtney

Of course I had to Google that bottle – very neat!

Memily

They’re taking presales currently, my email address is on the list! I’m sure between the multitude of USA tea companies there are a number of similar products but sometimes getting cool tea stuff down under is a challenge, plus I am way too easily excited…

Errr USA *and Canada :"|

Courtney

Haha! I wonder why it’s such a pain to get things there. Although, everything is easier to get in the US. Even as Canadians, right next door, we have problems. I’ve contemplated getting a post box right over the border at times.

Memily

Land of the free indeed…

hey whoa i have so many teas to post notes for!
i do grants management at a university and have been working on 2 multi million dollar grant proposals at the same time. it’s kinda like working on 16 smaller proposals at once.
and basically i’m swapped.
so not a lot of time for tea reviews.
but i’m having a great time! i love the challenge, the puzzle solving, the small friendly conversations with other admins located clear across the country, and the type type typing of little numbers into cumbersome 12 tab spreadsheets.
i’m probably speaking a foreign language to some of you.
and i’ll probably feel like this is too much of a real life vs internet life blend to keep it posted but i felt like talking about it so eh.
i arrive at work early. i stay late. i listen to music and listen to podcasts and drink tea the whole time i’m there. and lately i leave every day feeling accomplished and like i wish i could have a few more hours.
sometimes my job is a layered puzzle and sometimes it’s just a big sexy spreadsheet of data.
and it’s totally weird for a ‘creative type’ with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree to enjoy it as much as i do.
i am grateful everyday.

i am THRILLED that ashleyelizabeth could send me such a large quantity of this tea! it’s very generous of her and i wasn’t expecting it. makes it a great tea for brewing giant 24oz cups of it at my desk! (“greetings! this hiv research paperwork has been fueled by coconuts!”)
it’s a mellow tea and lately, perhaps because the quantity of tea i drink keeps increasing, i’ve really been enjoying and drawn to white teas even more than before. (psst i like this better than the coconut oolongs yes)
thanks again to ashleyelizabeth for sending me such a nice swap xo

OMGsrsly

LOL. You’re the type of person I’m in contact with ALL THE TIME, as I do all the budgeting and admin for a lab. “When did we get payment? Our letter says our payments should be this, did that happen? Where is our money? Do you want us to follow up on it or can you?”

Shmiracles

hahah!! ya know, i’ve seen you talk about lab stuff before! is it like an industry lab you work for? one of the proposals i’m working on has two FFRDCs included. (um wait maybe i’m speaking a foreign language again. idk.)

i work in engineering so it’s labs like microelectronics and pharmaceutical and mini nuclear reactors and biomaterials and my boyfriend is constantly disappointed to learn that i don’t ACTUALLY walk the halls alongside humanoid robots and holograms.

Shmiracles

oh duh you’re in CANADIA! you don’t have US Federally Funded Research and Development Centers. i’m a dork.

OMGsrsly

LOL! Yeah, that IS disappointing to learn you don’t actually walk the halls alongside humanoid robots and holograms. I mean, come ON science! Get it together! :D :D

It’s an academic research lab. And yes, in Canadia! The science is really interesting, but organizing and following up on all the paperwork can be terrible. Bureaucracy. Gah!

All this work definitely deserves another cup of tea. I wish it tasted just a good as it smells…however it’s a tad bitter and has a slight buttery taste but without any sort of tannin aftertaste. It has a really nice aroma though so it’ll get me through the rest of the morning!

Flavors: Butter, Mineral, Vanilla

This is such a fantastic tea. It’s rich and flavorful, and endlessly drinkable.

This is the second most coconut flavoured tea I have ever come across. It smacks of coconut. I love coconut. The only one better was David’s Tea’s Spring 2013 Coconut oolong. Which was so amazing. The Oolong was more fresh coconut, and Coconut grove is more toasted coconut.
Either way, both are fantastically delicious.
Coconut grove does have a strong coconut aftertaste. the flavor is a bit like coconut cereal… (How many times can I repeat the word coconut?).
I really like it though.
I really wish David’s would add some dried cherries and call it Toasted Macaroon…. OMG that sounds amazing

Today’s first cup I brewed at the recommended 92C, steeped for 3 minutes, which was long enough to get good flavor. My next couple of cups I didn’t bother with any preciseness, and with this tea, temperature doesn’t really matter, nor time. It comes out great, with no bitterness no matter what (Well I haven’t tried dumping it straight into boiling water).

My third re-brew tasted the same as the first, shockingly it was still just as coconutty.
Yum!

The white tea fest continues. It has been warm well into October here so I have an extended iced tea season. I bought the summer collection sampler when it went on sale (because never pay full price for anything) and this is my favorite. Very solid white tea base and a pleasant shredded coconut flavor rather than a creamy-sweet coconut profile. I can’t imagine drinking this hot, but I’ve hot-iced and cold brewed it and it was good both ways, tolerant of a long steep (though I never do my whites above 175, so that helps). It’s good with sweetener but doesn’t need any, and it plays well with fruit tisanes and freeze-dried berries. I’m always happy when David’s doesn’t overdo a one-flavor tea.

Anyway, today I had the cold brew (12 hrs) blend I made with 1 part this, 1 part Lupicia’s sakurambo vert, and 1/2 part David’s vanilla orchid and died a little. So good! I’ll be sad to see this one go since its such fun to blend with everything. I think I’ll be trying to dupe it with toasted coconut and other tricks.

Coconut Grove is really similar to Coconut Oolong from the spring collection, If you look at the ingredients, the only difference is the tea base, one is oolong and the other is White Bai Mu Dan. And that is it! There is the perfect amount of coconut flavor in this tea to balance with the white tea base. It tastes great and would probably be good iced ;)

I love this tea iced and I love it even more when it is served hot. I drank 8 oz. by myself in 3 days!!!!

This was the last tea that I tried in the summer collection and I was not excited to try it as I had not at all enjoyed coconut oolong. I decided to compare the smell of both and actually hated the smell of this one more! When steeped, it maintains its smell and unfortunately (for me) that translated into the taste. I could only take one sip before I had to set the cup down…

I don’t know why, but I prefer this tea hot as opposed to iced…I like my iced teas to be stronger and more fruitier I suppose.

Anyways, this tea is nice and light and the coconut and vanilla worked really well with the white tea. I like it. However, I probably won’t pick anymore up for a while because I’m getting all coconut-ed out.