Sugar and Spice

Cinnamon, Clove, Cloves, Earth, Malt, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “You know that wonderful feeling you get when you've finally struck pay-dirt and figured out the perfect brewing parameters for a given tea? And then you try it again and follow the same steps and...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “A break from sipdowns this morning.. It's cold, so I wanted something cozy. What I really wanted was a stove top chai with milk, but we are out of milk so I will wait til later for that. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 944 tasting notes
  • “I just had to try some of this. The words "spice cake" were being bandied about, and I love spice cake. Very clove-y, and I'm getting some phantom ginger taste. I can see why so many people...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 950 tasting notes
  • “Over the last couple of days, I started drinking my flavored black teas without added sweetener, and I think I started to get used to not having it. I mean, there's a sweetness to these teas...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 571 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Everything nice
Some teas are great conversation starters. All you have to do is steep a cup and before you know it, people are asking “what is that wonderful smell?”, “did someone just bake a cake?” and of course, “can I have some?” This comforting black tea blend is no exception. With the warm aromas of cinnamon, cloves and vanilla, it smells and tastes like a spice cake fresh out of the oven. But consider yourself warned: you might want a little bit extra to share around…

Ingredients: Black tea, apples, cinnamon cassia, cloves, carrots, marigold petals, natural vanilla flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This was the first tea in the new fall collection I had the pleasure of trying. Apparently, this is the most popular tea in the new collection and after trying it, I can definitely see why (or rather taste why). This tea contains a lot of warm spices such as cinnamon (so it basically tastes like a “liquid spice cake in a cup”). Perfect for fall and even into winter! I will definitely be picking up more of this before it goes away!

Amariel

This is my fave for sure…though I do feel it is more a winter tea than a fall tea.

I made this with a bit of rock sugar and steeped it for about 6 minutes. Very tasty! It was more sweet than spice, but the spices complemented the sweet taste very nicely. At first I thought this would be better with cream, but as I continued the cup I decided it was just fine without it. I look forward to finishing my sample of this, but I don’t know if I like it quite enough to buy more.

(Sample from silentrequim. Thanks!)

Debbie

Glad you like it… you like it better than me. If you want to buy the rest of my bag from me let me know.

Got this as a free sample from David’s, who are clearly trying to suck me in… and it’s working. This is a really pleasant black tea. And when I am done drinking it, I think I am going to go drive to a coffee shop to get some work done. Sheesh, that was unrelated, me.

Anyway, this really is a great winter holiday blend, or a great autumnal blend. My phone says it’s 26 degrees C here, but it actually feels cool somehow. So I broke out this sample right away to take advantage of the weird autumnal sense I had of the air.

I tasted the apple right away, and was worried that this was going to be a potpourri-tasting autumn tea. But with each sip the apple receded more, and the cloves/cinnamon came forward. I can actually envision this tea being good at a longer steep time; 5 minutes didn’t make it at all bitter, and the packet recommends 4-7.
I’m digging this one. I might even order it. I don’t tend to sweeten my tea, but I’d consider it with this one.

My first tea from David’s fall collection.

I hate to say it but I am unimpressed.

The flavor is so weak. I steeped this for 3 minutes. Even added some sugar. I wish it was stronger. The flavor I can taste is very nice. But it is also leaving some weird taste in my mouth I don’t like.

Out of David’s new fall teas, I was most excited about this one. I thought it would just taste like sugar and spice, but it’s actually quite hard to pinpoint the flavour, it isn’t very distinct, kind of like a mish mash of fruit and spice. This seems like a cross between the pumpkin chai and mom’s apple pie, like they just blended the two together. It would have been better if they would have left out the apple and carrot. This isn’t the worst of the fall teas (I actually liked them all), but it was the biggest disappointment. Though, it is still good and I will probably buy another sample to give it another shot.

I received a sample of Sugar and Spice with a DAVIDs TEA online order I purchased a few weeks ago. It was the first tea from their Fall Collection I had tried.

I found this tea to be similar to a chai, with a lesser scent. You can definitely tell this is a black tea, as I found it had that strong flavor at the end of every sip. I also found the cinnamon and clove flavors to be very apparent, which I enjoyed, and found it to smell like spice cake (as DAVIDs claims). I would have liked this tea to have a stronger smell and taste.

I don’t know if I enjoyed it enough to purchase it, as I tried this tea a few days ago and can only vaguely recall the smell and taste (I log my teas after I drink them and post my reviews when I get the chance), but I would definitely give it a second chance if I got the opportunity.

this one is fairly light for a black tea. the spices are really evident, love those cloves! not very sweet at all, but i suppose since the tea base itself isn’t so heavy, that lets what sweetness there is shine through.
not AS incredible as i was hoping – but pumpkin spice and mom’s apple pie are always the knockouts for fall, so i’m not really upset :)
still a pretty good cozy autumn tea!

I am not sure about this one… At first it was a strong cinnamon taste but as it cooled I am only getting cloves. It’s okay, but I don’t love it. It kinda taste like Christmas potpourri.

Along with the new little teacups, some Moms Apple Pie and a milk frother (AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING. AT LAST.), picked this up as well. (Alas, this owl was forgetful and neglected to pick up Salted Caramel. Siiiiiigh) The ingredients in it screamed chai-esque which, as most of my close roost-mates know, is my jaaaam. I do love some spicy chai. It smelled very vanillary, cinnamony and spicy, which was good. I figured it wouldn’t need much added sweetness in it at all. We’ll get back to that later.

Can we talk for a minute about the new milk frother they’re selling? Sure it looks like a vibrator and an alien probe mated in a dark janitors closet but my god, you don’t know how long and how difficut the search for a frother has been for me. This owl was beginning to feel frustrated and then… right before the autumn “latte season”.. lo and behold.

Anyway. Seemed only fitting to try Sugar and Spice out as a latte.
Steeped. Frothed. Combined in a flurry of tea alchemy. Sipped.

nom.

It does what it says on the tin people, this is spiiiiiice. Not your everyday half-arsed spice but spicy-spice. Like, sipping right now and it tastes like a gingerbread cookie only more creamy. This would be perfect for around Christmas too not just fall. If you’re drinking it straight, perhaps it might benefit from some sweetener, but I go back on what I said. As a latte this needs nothing at all. The sweetness is subtle but not overpowering thank the gods. This is a keeper and I will be fluttering back out to restock.

Finished my sample of this from VariaTEA today for morning tea, with a dash of sugar and milk, and a big ol’ pumpkin pie doughnut on the side. I can only think this was the perfect tea choice for it!

Like, really. A+ morning tea. Lovely sweet and spice flavours through the black tea, ah.

I have also been stressing about the fact that my current house guest, despite having fifty or so open teas to choose from, keeps going back to my precious dwindling supply of Fantasy Island, aka my personal favourite that just gets saved for special occasions. WOMAN, BACK OFF. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I’m so bad at confrontation that I’ve ended up just hiding it. Lucky she leaves tomorrow.

Cameron B.

Hah, I was going to tell you to hide it! Excellent plan. :P

Hannah F.

Pumpkin pie donut? Please mail me a thousand.