Sugar and Spice

Cinnamon, Cloves, Earth, Malt, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “You know that wonderful feeling you get when you've finally struck pay-dirt and figured out the perfect brewing parameters for a given tea? And then you try it again and follow the same steps and...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 417 tasting notes
  • “A break from sipdowns this morning.. It's cold, so I wanted something cozy. What I really wanted was a stove top chai with milk, but we are out of milk so I will wait til later for that. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 823 tasting notes
  • “I just had to try some of this. The words "spice cake" were being bandied about, and I love spice cake. Very clove-y, and I'm getting some phantom ginger taste. I can see why so many people...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 677 tasting notes
  • “Over the last couple of days, I started drinking my flavored black teas without added sweetener, and I think I started to get used to not having it. I mean, there's a sweetness to these teas...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 433 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Everything nice
Some teas are great conversation starters. All you have to do is steep a cup and before you know it, people are asking “what is that wonderful smell?”, “did someone just bake a cake?” and of course, “can I have some?” This comforting black tea blend is no exception. With the warm aromas of cinnamon, cloves and vanilla, it smells and tastes like a spice cake fresh out of the oven. But consider yourself warned: you might want a little bit extra to share around…

Ingredients: Black tea, apples, cinnamon cassia, cloves, carrots, marigold petals, natural vanilla flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So laying in bed this morning with a serious junk food hangover (it was Ben’s birthday party yesterday, totally worth the junk binge) I had a thought. Or more like a series of thoughts. I love doing tea research, (ok I just love doing research) I love writing about tea and keeping extensive notes on the subject. Since I plan on researching and writing about tea for my own purposes, maybe my dear readers would also like to read my research. So here is the question, would you all be interested in periodic informative posts on tea? It would be random, no more than once a week, probably every other week to once a month.

Today’s tea was part of the 2013 Autumn Collection at DAVIDsTEA, and for once there still is some left on their online store. Sugar and Spice is a blend of Black Tea, Apples, Cinnamon cassia, Cloves, Carrots, Marigold Petals, Orange Peel, and Natural Vanilla Flavoring. I opened my little sample package and immediately was hit with an overwhelming pang of homesickness. The dry leaves smell just like the carrot cake my mom would make for my birthday when I was a wee little one. The aroma is rich and sweet, blending carrots, spices, and vanilla for an added extra frosting like treat.

Once I toss the leaves in some water to steep, the now soggy leaves smell even more like carrot cake and more like a malty black tea. Imagine that it is carrot cake sitting next to a cup of tea and you have the perfect mental image. The spices are more subdued when wet. The liquid is sweet and spicy, a perfect blend of cloves and cinnamon, with a hint of vanilla. There is of course a bit of carrot cake, but not as strong as the wet or dry leaves.

Tasting time, and I admit, I am holding this tea to some high standards after the nostalgic, mouthwatering party that was the dry leaves. The taste is spicy and earthy, like an unsweetened carrot cake. The spices are subtle, no kick in the face of cinnamon and mouth numbing cloves, always a plus with spiced teas. The initial earthy taste fades to a subtle sweetness, like apples and carrot juice, with lingering warmth from the spices. This tea made my heart feel good, and it tasted good, so overall I say that is a win.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/03/davdstea-sugar-and-spice-tea-review.html

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Earth, Malt, Vanilla

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Interesting. Not a bad or good interesting. Just….interesting. This was on my wishlist ever since it came out, but now that I’ve tried it, I’m going to take it off. When it comes to tea that I’ve bought from a website/that is the nearest store is quite a ways away, I feel that I should be WoWed by the tea, otherwise I don’t see a point in getting it. Particularly if I can get similar tasting teas for cheaper and nearby. I’ve heard this doesn’t have ginger in it, but the taste of this reminds me alot of Gingerbread Latte Rooibos that I’ve been getting from my fave tea store in Plymouth. So if this tea comes back, will not be buying a bag.

Last thing: there is a strange little sour note in the aftertaste.

This is an enjoyable tea. The spices are at just the right balance. It does however remind me of many other teas. It seems to be a less spicy version of many of the chai teas I’ve had lately. I would bother buying more, I’d just go with a chai. I’ll drink what I have without a problem but won’t particularly miss it.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Vanilla

So, I might be wrong, but I don’t think I’ve reviewed this one yet.

I’ve had this tea the last few mornings (with the exception of this morning) and this tea is amazing! It has been calling out to me in my cupboard ‘cause it didn’t quite fit in the holder of the bags of tea that I have, so I thought I better start drinking it up. I don’t remember all the details about this one, but it is a sweet tea that is almost like a really mild chai tea to me. I’ll have to update this one if I find it’s different, but the last few mornings, that’s what it’s really kind of tasted to me.

I love the sweet, slightly spicey taste of this one. I should have gotten more of it.
I’ve been really good and haven’t bought any tea in over a month!! I know that doesn’t sound long, but for me it feels like it has been ages.

Anyways, they don’t have anymore of the website, so I’ll just enjoy what I have. Delicious!!

A decent tea. It reminds me of Glitter and Gold a lot, with much of the same taste and scent. I think I’ll have to try this one again to be reminded of the flavor, its been a while.

I ordered this on a whim with an online sale, and I was not disappointed. Best with a bit of milk and some brown sugar, I think, but perfectly fine black, or just with a bit of milk. Not a lot of spice flavor but it’s very nice for a lightly spiced black tea. Not something I would seek out, and I’m not heartbroken that it’s been discontinued, though I do prefer it to the Glitter & Gold that replaced it.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This smells very much like David’s Spiced Fig. This tea has a deeper flavour than the spiced fig though, which is good because although I liked spiced fig, I found it too weak. It is also in smaller pieces and not as heavy, so the bag will last longer. The aroma reminds me of Christmastime when I was young and Grandma used to make fruitcake.

Took a try of this tea at the store, and oh my goodness I had to have some, so I bought 25 grams. Its a lot like Glitter and Gold, except with a slightly sweeter, less ‘mature’ flavour? I can’t tell which I like more. Super cozy, comforting kind of tea!

Tastes just like pumpkin pie! So great for a rainy autumn day :)Even the second steep (and the third!) is really good, and maybe even better because it brings up the spices. I must admit, I love this tea!!!

This is one of the Fall Collection teas I was so excited to try! Spice cake in a tea? Sign me up! I was sorely disappointed by this one though. It tastes like grain, the kind you feed to horses. It even smells like horse feed! I just barely got through the first cup. I made some more a few weeks ago, intent on finishing the little bit that I had. I oversteeped it and added some sugar. Definitely got more spicy heat, but the rest was much the same. This is a very flat tea that doesn’t deliver on its spice cake promises.