Sugar and Spice

Cinnamon, Earth, Clove, Cloves, Malt, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “You know that wonderful feeling you get when you've finally struck pay-dirt and figured out the perfect brewing parameters for a given tea? And then you try it again and follow the same steps and...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “A break from sipdowns this morning.. It's cold, so I wanted something cozy. What I really wanted was a stove top chai with milk, but we are out of milk so I will wait til later for that. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 969 tasting notes
  • “I just had to try some of this. The words "spice cake" were being bandied about, and I love spice cake. Very clove-y, and I'm getting some phantom ginger taste. I can see why so many people...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1019 tasting notes
  • “Over the last couple of days, I started drinking my flavored black teas without added sweetener, and I think I started to get used to not having it. I mean, there's a sweetness to these teas...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 606 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Everything nice
Some teas are great conversation starters. All you have to do is steep a cup and before you know it, people are asking “what is that wonderful smell?”, “did someone just bake a cake?” and of course, “can I have some?” This comforting black tea blend is no exception. With the warm aromas of cinnamon, cloves and vanilla, it smells and tastes like a spice cake fresh out of the oven. But consider yourself warned: you might want a little bit extra to share around…

Ingredients: Black tea, apples, cinnamon cassia, cloves, carrots, marigold petals, natural vanilla flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Finished my sample of this from VariaTEA today for morning tea, with a dash of sugar and milk, and a big ol’ pumpkin pie doughnut on the side. I can only think this was the perfect tea choice for it!

Like, really. A+ morning tea. Lovely sweet and spice flavours through the black tea, ah.

I have also been stressing about the fact that my current house guest, despite having fifty or so open teas to choose from, keeps going back to my precious dwindling supply of Fantasy Island, aka my personal favourite that just gets saved for special occasions. WOMAN, BACK OFF. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I’m so bad at confrontation that I’ve ended up just hiding it. Lucky she leaves tomorrow.

Cameron B.

Hah, I was going to tell you to hide it! Excellent plan. :P

Hannah F.

Pumpkin pie donut? Please mail me a thousand.

I am currently attempting to get my tea drawer a little more controlled, which means trying to drink tea more often (oh poor me :) My husband keeps eyeing my stash like it’s some audacious atrocity. He has at least 75 video games, why can’t I have 75 different teas? Anyways, I digress.

To me this tea tastes like holidays. I am getting an intense flavor of cloves, with bare whispers of cinnamon, and maybe some ginger playing in the background. Overall, it’s nice, but nothing terribly memorable. There is very little chance of me purposely attaining more of this. If however, I ever do get a hankering for a cup of liquid cloves, I will instantly know what will do the trick.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove

GCTTB2

I have wanted to try this one for a while. This round of the GCTTB has been working out super good for me, there are a lot of teas in there I have wanted to try for a while.

I quite like Davids Glitter and Gold so I was assuming this one would be a long the same lines. This dry tea does smell like spice cake/coffee cake. There is definitely a sweet cinnamon scent.

The brewed tea have flavours of the black tea base, it is moderately strong. I am getting flavours of cinnamon and clove. Not really getting any apple flavours. Maybe a light vanilla. At the end of the sip I get a quick, very bitter flavour that I often get with an artificial flavour (I am assuming it is the vanilla).

Glad to have tried this one but I am going to stick to Glitter and Gold I think.

Edit: So as this tea cools, the black tea is getting stronger and it tastes very very earthy and mushroomy. I am wondering if it is pu’erh?? I looked up the ingredients but it is just listed as black tea. Anyway, this one is much better when hot.

I’ve never had spice cake but after having this tea I’m going to assume its pretty tasty. I’m detecting ginger. Makes me want sushi. I bet this tea would par well with a red bean bun. The smell is also quite good.

3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp

I tried this with a bit of honey and some milk. Didn’t really get the flavour so next time i’ll add some more tea maybe try rock sugar instead of honey.

First impressions: Mmmm, spice cake. The cloves are wonderfully present, and yet they are not overwhelming. Hooray.

I enjoyed this tea while it lasted. It tasted very similar to the holiday cinnamon star cookies and I only know this because I found a package at 90% at World Market while I patently waited for my package to come in January. I only purchased the cookies because it looked like the picture DAVIDs had on their website. I even attempted to make some but I gave up after my meringue did not work after multiple attempts trying to make it in nontraditional ways.

I was saving the last of this to try as an iced latte being that it is similar to a chai. Still good but it did not hold up as well it taste better hot. My husband and son also liked it.

Thanks VariaTEA I would have missed out on this one because by the time I was interested it was already on “web special” and I did not want 250g.

this is what i think of when you say the words, “animal fan fiction”.

growlz

i drank this tea down a while back. it was okay but too mild and mopey for me to want to drink it again. not really very sugar, so amaze. and where’s the spice?

speaking of spice, has anyone read Dune? cuz i haven’t.

OMGsrsly

You need to read Dune! Or at least watch the weird, crazy, trippy movie. :)

So laying in bed this morning with a serious junk food hangover (it was Ben’s birthday party yesterday, totally worth the junk binge) I had a thought. Or more like a series of thoughts. I love doing tea research, (ok I just love doing research) I love writing about tea and keeping extensive notes on the subject. Since I plan on researching and writing about tea for my own purposes, maybe my dear readers would also like to read my research. So here is the question, would you all be interested in periodic informative posts on tea? It would be random, no more than once a week, probably every other week to once a month.

Today’s tea was part of the 2013 Autumn Collection at DAVIDsTEA, and for once there still is some left on their online store. Sugar and Spice is a blend of Black Tea, Apples, Cinnamon cassia, Cloves, Carrots, Marigold Petals, Orange Peel, and Natural Vanilla Flavoring. I opened my little sample package and immediately was hit with an overwhelming pang of homesickness. The dry leaves smell just like the carrot cake my mom would make for my birthday when I was a wee little one. The aroma is rich and sweet, blending carrots, spices, and vanilla for an added extra frosting like treat.

Once I toss the leaves in some water to steep, the now soggy leaves smell even more like carrot cake and more like a malty black tea. Imagine that it is carrot cake sitting next to a cup of tea and you have the perfect mental image. The spices are more subdued when wet. The liquid is sweet and spicy, a perfect blend of cloves and cinnamon, with a hint of vanilla. There is of course a bit of carrot cake, but not as strong as the wet or dry leaves.

Tasting time, and I admit, I am holding this tea to some high standards after the nostalgic, mouthwatering party that was the dry leaves. The taste is spicy and earthy, like an unsweetened carrot cake. The spices are subtle, no kick in the face of cinnamon and mouth numbing cloves, always a plus with spiced teas. The initial earthy taste fades to a subtle sweetness, like apples and carrot juice, with lingering warmth from the spices. This tea made my heart feel good, and it tasted good, so overall I say that is a win.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/03/davdstea-sugar-and-spice-tea-review.html

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Earth, Malt, Vanilla

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Interesting. Not a bad or good interesting. Just….interesting. This was on my wishlist ever since it came out, but now that I’ve tried it, I’m going to take it off. When it comes to tea that I’ve bought from a website/that is the nearest store is quite a ways away, I feel that I should be WoWed by the tea, otherwise I don’t see a point in getting it. Particularly if I can get similar tasting teas for cheaper and nearby. I’ve heard this doesn’t have ginger in it, but the taste of this reminds me alot of Gingerbread Latte Rooibos that I’ve been getting from my fave tea store in Plymouth. So if this tea comes back, will not be buying a bag.

Last thing: there is a strange little sour note in the aftertaste.