Currant Affair

Berry, Black Currant, Fruity, Rooibos, Sour, Tart, Stewed Fruits
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

2 Images

• “Onto caffeine free teas for the evening. I forget how nice this rooibos is until I have it again lol, very fruity and a touch of cream. The red rooibos is a good base as it adds to the rich currant...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 918 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: OMGsrsly introduced me to the awesomeness of blackcurrants last spring. Those things smell. So. Good. The aroma of this rooibos blend is up to par, but the flavour isn't quite as sweet...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 496 tasting notes
  • “Wow. I LOVE black currant flavoured things and have asked Davids off and on for over a year to make a good black currant tea. When cocoberry came out I was excited and then horrendously...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 694 tasting notes
  • “Too bad that *VariaTEA* didn't like this, but I'm happy she gave it to me. I don't mind mediciny-rooibos' flavours. And I'm happy that we made it through all the Black Friday/Cyber Monday...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1693 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Our currant favourite
In 11th century Russia, it was grown as a staple in monastery gardens. In 17th century Europe, it was made into a dark and delicious syrup to soothe sore throats. And in England during World War 2, it was the country’s top source of Vitamin C. We’re talking about the deliciously nutritious blackcurrant, quite possibly our favourite super-fruit. Try it for yourself with this velvety rich tea, a sweet and fruity blend of blackcurrants, blackberry leaves and super-healthy rooibos. It’ll be an instant love affair.

Ingredients: Rooibos, sweet blackberry leaves, blackcurrant, black currant and cream flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m not gonna lie.. I haven’t been feeling david’s lately… with all the mango teas for spring and summer that i couldn’t have, and some less than stellar blends that I could have, and the major disappearances of some of my favorites! … I have liked some of the new teas, but haven’t really LOVED them (not enough that i’ll really, really, miss them when they disappear)…. but THIS! on first smell, i thought it was going to be really fake currant tasting, and gross.. but on first sip.. i fell in love! .. the currant flavour is really strong, and true to currant taste.. and it changes into a creamy vanillaish taste… so simple, so beautiful :) i had it hot.. i’m gonna try it iced tommorow.

Boiling

Wow! I mean WOW. 2 reasons. I cant believe im the first person to review this tea, didnt think that would ever happen. Second, this tea is amazing. Very natural, delicious black currant flavour. I have been looking forward to trying this tea since the fall tea menu came out and it did not disappoint. When I smelled this tea I was reminded why I have a problem with david’s rooibos teas: it smells slightly minty or maybe a little bit like menthol, and usually tastes like it too. I can sort of taste it in this one, but only very faintly and not enough to ruin the great flavour of this tea.

This was such a disappointment! I was a bit off-put by the initial smell of the dry leaves but decided to try it anyway. As it steeped, I begun to get more of a blackcurrant and even blackberry aroma. However, when I drank it, the taste was very similar to what I would have expected from the initial smell. I was able to drink a little more than half the cup (barely) but couldn’t bring myself to drink the rest. I probably will not be trying this one again!

When I went to David’s tea yesterday with the intention of trying new samples, I had to add this one to my choices. It doesn’t LOOK so good. But wait until you steep it. It has a strong taste of blackcurrant and that’s about it. It tastes what it announces. My boyfriend said it tastes like antibiotics or cough syrup. Ahah! Well, maybe I gave him too much tea in his teaball, because he liked my cup better. So just be careful of not adding too much of it, the recipe should do. If I would buy again? Sure!

Sooooo… all my friends are saying that they hate this tea because it tastes like cough syrup. However, I’ve been fairly addicted to it since it came out, and I personally didn’t understand the cough syrup thing until…
I realized I had a childhood addiction to grape flavoured dimetapp (like my parents would have to take it away from me because I’d drink the whole thing). THAT’S why I love this tea. Tastes just like it!

This was my pick for tea of the day at my local Davids Teas: tart with deep berry tones in a caffeine-free blend. The dark fruit notes are strong enough to compete with the medicine-like flavors of red rooibos. It is even more amazing as a tea pop, which brings out the zing of sour berry. If I made this myself I would steep it longer than recommended to get more of the tart currant flavors. Plenty fruity and sweet without sugar, it is a nice alternative to sweeter berries like blueberry or strawberry. I would be worried if it would taste too medicine-like when brewed hot, but I’ll have to order some and try it. Cold, the tartness of the currant works in its favor.

Flavors: Berry, Black Currant, Fruity, Rooibos, Sour, Tart

Black currant flavour is a bit to much like candy for my taste. A little bit of tartness might make this more authentic-tasting.

As the infusion is cooling, I’m detecting an artificial sweetner aftertaste. Maybe it is from the “artificial black currant” ingredient listed.

Boiling 7 min, 30 sec 6 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML
Amariel

I hate this tea. It tastes like licorice and medicine. Blech!

Thanks to Roswell Strange for a sample of this tea! Initially, I thought it smelled pretty good – all deliciously of berries, specifically black currants (duh). Unfortunately, though, it occurred to me after a few minutes that the aroma really reminded me of something… Medicine. And not rooibos- medicinal; in that respect it was just fine. Nope, it was the flavouring that reminded me of some sort of flavoured medicine I’ve had. Blech. And I can’t blame the tea for this – it was quite tasty until I had this realization, so overall I’d count this as a pretty good blend, just one that I am prejudiced against due to previous experiences.

Also in unrelated news, is the Steepster app available? This new format is not playing nice with my phone. Actually, it’s terrible.

Amariel

I smelled it and tasted it on a TOTD day and I was like belch! I actually tasted licorice in some way, and I agree it is medicinal in a way.

Steepster app beta closed now…so technically, no.

keychange

very medicinal indeed, I found also.

OMGsrsly

Haha. And I grew up eating black currant licorice candies, so I love it. :) More for me!

Kaylee

My phone’s not taking too kindly to it either.

Roswell Strange

I thought it was horribly cough syrup flavoured…

Beautiful and refreshingly sweet. Delicately aromatic and incredible iced!

Flavors: Stewed Fruits