Currant Affair

Fruit Rooibos Blend
Artificial Flavouring, Blackberry Leaves, Blackcurrant, Rooibos
Black Currant, Wood, Medicinal, Artificial, Sweet, Berry, Fruity, Rooibos, Sour, Tart, Stewed Fruits
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

Our currant favourite
In 11th century Russia, it was grown as a staple in monastery gardens. In 17th century Europe, it was made into a dark and delicious syrup to soothe sore throats. And in England during World War 2, it was the country’s top source of Vitamin C. We’re talking about the deliciously nutritious blackcurrant, quite possibly our favourite super-fruit. Try it for yourself with this velvety rich tea, a sweet and fruity blend of blackcurrants, blackberry leaves and super-healthy rooibos. It’ll be an instant love affair.

Ingredients: Rooibos, sweet blackberry leaves, blackcurrant, black currant and cream flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Black currant flavour is a bit to much like candy for my taste. A little bit of tartness might make this more authentic-tasting.

As the infusion is cooling, I’m detecting an artificial sweetner aftertaste. Maybe it is from the “artificial black currant” ingredient listed.

Boiling 7 min, 30 sec 6 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML
Amariel

I hate this tea. It tastes like licorice and medicine. Blech!

Thanks to Roswell Strange for a sample of this tea! Initially, I thought it smelled pretty good – all deliciously of berries, specifically black currants (duh). Unfortunately, though, it occurred to me after a few minutes that the aroma really reminded me of something… Medicine. And not rooibos- medicinal; in that respect it was just fine. Nope, it was the flavouring that reminded me of some sort of flavoured medicine I’ve had. Blech. And I can’t blame the tea for this – it was quite tasty until I had this realization, so overall I’d count this as a pretty good blend, just one that I am prejudiced against due to previous experiences.

Also in unrelated news, is the Steepster app available? This new format is not playing nice with my phone. Actually, it’s terrible.

Amariel

I smelled it and tasted it on a TOTD day and I was like belch! I actually tasted licorice in some way, and I agree it is medicinal in a way.

Steepster app beta closed now…so technically, no.

keychange

very medicinal indeed, I found also.

OMGsrsly

Haha. And I grew up eating black currant licorice candies, so I love it. :) More for me!

Kaylee

My phone’s not taking too kindly to it either.

Roswell Strange

I thought it was horribly cough syrup flavoured…

Beautiful and refreshingly sweet. Delicately aromatic and incredible iced!

Flavors: Stewed Fruits

I was trying to find a word to describe the perfection of this tea. I’ve been a huge fan of black currant flavours since I was a child and this tea brings up all the nostalgia I could desire.
It’s not as sour as the British black currant hard candies with the powdered sugar that I used to see around.
It tastes like the darker kinds of Wine Gums. Not in an artifical, sugary way, but if Wine Gums were made out of real fruit.
Yum…

Boiling 8 min or more

Wonderfully fruity without being overly tart. A characteristic I dislike in a lot of herbals and Rooibos blends. You can really taste the currants. More than just a catchy name!

I adore Currant Affair. Hot, iced, you name it! This tea reminds me of candy, without that hurt-your-teeth sweetness. Yummy!

I remember when I was younger when I would have a sore throat, I would take these black currant flavored lozenges. I didn’t even know what black current was at that point. This tea triggered my “flavor memories” or what ever you like to call them.

It tastes EXACTLY like those lozenges; very medicinal, and artificial. After a few sips, it became a bit sickening to drink. There was not even a trace of the rooibos. But I could imagine that if you had a sore throat, this would help it very much..

I bought this tea because I wanted to stock my cabinet, and the free sample I had of it was rather good. I made it at home, and used less than what the package said. That being said, the tea is strong, the blackcurrant is somewhat overwhelming. Lucky for me, I do like blackcurrant, at the beginning it has a rich, berry flavour – it has a bit of a medicinal aftertaste, however. I didn’t sweeten it, but I might try that to see if it helps, but it has plenty of flavour already and definitely doesn’t require sweetener.

Boiling

I’m a little wary of rooibos blends, but since this one was a fruit-based one, I decided to go for it… and I was definitely pleasantly surprised! Definitely a unique taste.