Choconut Oolong

Black Oolong Blend
Black Tea, Cocoa Beans, Cocoa Husks, Licorice, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Oolong Tea
Caramel, Cocoa, Coffee, Cream, Licorice, Roasted nuts, Chocolate, Nuts, Anise, Dark Chocolate, Honey
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Nuts for chocolate

David was eating breakfast: toast with chocolate hazelnut spread and a cup of oolong tea. He took a bite, then a sip. Then he got that look in his eye. A light bulb went off. Why not combine the two? Rich, dark chocolate. Smooth-drinking oolong. And just a hint of hazelnut. The result? Sweet, satisfying and a little bit nutty. It’s the perfect breakfast and the perfect tea, all rolled into one.

Ingredients: Oolong tea, cocoa husks, cocoa beans, black tea, liquorice, natural hazelnut flavouring, artificial cream, chocolate and caramel flavouring .

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Licorice. All I tasted was licorice. It coated the back of my throat – I can’t even tell you what else this tea tasted like because it was all that sickly sweet, cloying, gagging licorice.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
sweetea

Yup. This tea was a major disappointment.

I’m not a fan of this one, it’s kind of muddy, with a mushy kind of aftertaste. I don’t really know how to describe it, I just know that I’m not a fan!

Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

Hooray, another David’s tea! This sounds delicious and I have recently discovered a love for dark oolongs, so it was a no-brainer for me. Dry, it smells quite coffee-like. Definitely hazelnut coffee with some mocha in there too. I happen to like coffee, especially as a flavor, so not a problem for me! David’s seems like it’s been hit-or-miss for me so far, but I have high hopes for this one. I did 5 minutes at 200 degrees, using the whole sample, which was about 1.5 tsp.

The brewed aroma is very nutty, which is amazing! There’s definitely chocolate there too, but the nut is the main event. The taste is also centered around the hazelnut flavor. The chocolate is a lovely complement, and I also pick up on caramel and cream notes. There’s still something quite coffee-like about the whole thing, perhaps because the cocoa beans are roasted combined with the oolong base (it doesn’t specify the type of oolong here, but it’s very dark and I would assume roasted from the taste).

My only issue with this tea… LICORICE. HOW DARE THEY ADD LICORICE TO THIS! It doesn’t make any sense here and it makes the end of the sip have that weird creeping sweetness that reminds me of artificial sweeteners. I dunno, the licorice might be a deal-breaker for me… There’s just no reason for it to be here. >:(

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Coffee, Cream, Licorice, Roasted nuts

Stephanie

I hate licorice. And I hated this tea. High fives?

Cameron B.

Lol, I didn’t quite hate it, but it was definitely severely damaged by the licorice. So high five anyway! :P

I had tried this back around Christmas time at my old job with a now former coworker. She had made it double double with CREAM! So when I tried it, I didn’t take it too seriously as it had so much in it.

Today felt like just as good a day as any to try this one again. It’s pretty good! I was amazed at how much I love the first part of my cup. I only added one milk and it’s making it nice and smooth and it definitely doesn’t need any sweetener of any kind.

But as I’m finishing the cup, I’m finally noticing the weird taste in the back of my throat as it goes down… It’s the licorice. I don’t care for black licorice so to have that show up is kind of saddening to me. My former coworker said the same thing before but I wasn’t so sure ‘cause I just figured it could just from the cream. Now I get it. Now I know what it is that I don’t like that give it that weird taste.

I’m not too sure what I’m going to do about this one now. I only have 25g or so, so realistically I should either finish it, or I should give it away… I think I’ll try and drink the rest down. ‘Cause it’s not all that bad, but it does have that weirdness to it.

Edit: This one does surprise me in the fact that it doesn’t really taste like a usual oolong. Or… maybe I’m just starting to like oolongs better now…???

This tea got hosed pretty thoroughly by the reviewers, but I wanted to at least give it the benefit of the doubt and try it anyway.

On paper it sounds like it should work – chocolate oolong sounds like a delectable combination. The smell is fantastic – it’s like those boozy chocolate truffles I remember selling back when I worked at Purdy’s Chocolates. I see what people mean about the licorice flavour though – it’s like they tried to use it to sweetened the tea and added a bit too much as it sort of muscles in on the chocolate flavours. Now I don’t mind licorice root, but it doesn’t really mesh with the chocolate and I’m pretty sure this wasn’t what Davids Tea was going for.

I’m not one for licorice. Every time I look at this tea’s ingredients, I forget that I love it. Honestly, I don’t feel that it tastes like Nutella. It tastes like chocolate (and a little like hazelnut) but it doesn’t especially taste like chocolate hazelnut?

Doesn’t second steep at all, to my great disappointment.

So I actually got this a few months ago when I had to pick up a lovebird mug for Dinosara from a local Davids. I got a whole bunch of little amounts of a handful of teas to try, put them away in my ‘to try’ bin, then promptly forgot about them due to trying to drink other stuff down, being generally off tea, and having a tea box or two cross my path. I just rediscovered them when I went through all of my teas recently to weed out what I’m not going to drink. (I’ll probly figure out selling mystery boxes for all of that since I have as much tea as I want to get rid of as I’m planning on keeping. Lol!)
So I figure I’d better start drinking some of these and this was first up.
Dry in the package it’s chocolate and shelled nuts, or maybe just nut shells and cocoa nibs. It’s strong and has a strange other smell to it. Kinda alcohol-y, but not really alcohol.
Brewed scent is kinda bitter chocolate with nuts.
Taste wise the first thing I think of is that its trying too hard to be a chocolate nut tea. And that this was completely wasted as an oolong. I’ll bet it would’ve been much better as a black because I can’t tell this is tea. It could be an herbal for all the tea I taste in it. With a black tea base, I’m sure something would have gotten through at least.
It’s kinda bitter-ish but not actually bitter. And I get chocolate, but more roasted chocolate than creamy chocolate. And a strange sweetness after the sip, like I added sugar, but I know I didn’t at all yet. And definitely nutty. But no trace of any discernible oolong to it.
I’ll probly finish what I have, or maybe swap it away. But I’m glad I was able to get a small amount from the store instead of the 1.5 (or whatever) from the website.

Flavors: Chocolate, Nuts

I was hoping for Nutella and got coffee-caramel Nips instead! Now, I wasn’t able to follow the measurements strictly, because this was a sample that came with one of my DAVIDsTEA orders. I really wish they’d package them by servings instead of by weight!

But still, this was free and it was interesting to try. Not something I’ll be in any rush to repeat, but still a sweet change from the norm.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This is my absolute favourite tea. It is sweet and nutty all at the same time. You have to make sure you steep it right though, or else it loses it’s charm.

My 3-year-old’s nonstop energy levels are exhausting me. I need a pick-me-up and this one was calling my name.

Sadly, it still has yet to deliver and I think the something in this is messing with my head because I’ve just now developed a headache. Sigh, and it had such promise too. Into the ‘swap pile’ it goes!