Choconut Oolong

Black Oolong Blend
Black Tea, Cocoa Beans, Cocoa Husks, Licorice, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Oolong Tea
Caramel, Cocoa, Coffee, Cream, Licorice, Roasted nuts, Chocolate, Nuts, Anise, Dark Chocolate, Honey
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Apparently the cravings for "nutty" teas continues today. This is getting to be like my string of "plum" inspired teas... Anyway, I love this one. I know I'm in the minority - but you're all...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2037 tasting notes
  • “I'm very clearly in the minority for this tea lol, but I stand by that for me, this is a darn tasty tea. Maybe I just got a good batch of it! Unfortunately I am almost out, so hoping that if I...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 943 tasting notes
  • “This smells so rich and dark and amazing. I don't even want to sip it - just smell it all evening. But that would be a waste, wouldn't it? I only bought 15g of this, which might end up being 2...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “While my grandmother is sitting on a beach in Cuba - scratch that, she's most likely in her hotel room complaining about having to be there for free - I'm stuck in -40C weather. Not that I'm bitter...” Read full tasting note
    Kinsa 96 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Nuts for chocolate

David was eating breakfast: toast with chocolate hazelnut spread and a cup of oolong tea. He took a bite, then a sip. Then he got that look in his eye. A light bulb went off. Why not combine the two? Rich, dark chocolate. Smooth-drinking oolong. And just a hint of hazelnut. The result? Sweet, satisfying and a little bit nutty. It’s the perfect breakfast and the perfect tea, all rolled into one.

Ingredients: Oolong tea, cocoa husks, cocoa beans, black tea, liquorice, natural hazelnut flavouring, artificial cream, chocolate and caramel flavouring .

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea got hosed pretty thoroughly by the reviewers, but I wanted to at least give it the benefit of the doubt and try it anyway.

On paper it sounds like it should work – chocolate oolong sounds like a delectable combination. The smell is fantastic – it’s like those boozy chocolate truffles I remember selling back when I worked at Purdy’s Chocolates. I see what people mean about the licorice flavour though – it’s like they tried to use it to sweetened the tea and added a bit too much as it sort of muscles in on the chocolate flavours. Now I don’t mind licorice root, but it doesn’t really mesh with the chocolate and I’m pretty sure this wasn’t what Davids Tea was going for.

I’m not one for licorice. Every time I look at this tea’s ingredients, I forget that I love it. Honestly, I don’t feel that it tastes like Nutella. It tastes like chocolate (and a little like hazelnut) but it doesn’t especially taste like chocolate hazelnut?

Doesn’t second steep at all, to my great disappointment.

So I actually got this a few months ago when I had to pick up a lovebird mug for Dinosara from a local Davids. I got a whole bunch of little amounts of a handful of teas to try, put them away in my ‘to try’ bin, then promptly forgot about them due to trying to drink other stuff down, being generally off tea, and having a tea box or two cross my path. I just rediscovered them when I went through all of my teas recently to weed out what I’m not going to drink. (I’ll probly figure out selling mystery boxes for all of that since I have as much tea as I want to get rid of as I’m planning on keeping. Lol!)
So I figure I’d better start drinking some of these and this was first up.
Dry in the package it’s chocolate and shelled nuts, or maybe just nut shells and cocoa nibs. It’s strong and has a strange other smell to it. Kinda alcohol-y, but not really alcohol.
Brewed scent is kinda bitter chocolate with nuts.
Taste wise the first thing I think of is that its trying too hard to be a chocolate nut tea. And that this was completely wasted as an oolong. I’ll bet it would’ve been much better as a black because I can’t tell this is tea. It could be an herbal for all the tea I taste in it. With a black tea base, I’m sure something would have gotten through at least.
It’s kinda bitter-ish but not actually bitter. And I get chocolate, but more roasted chocolate than creamy chocolate. And a strange sweetness after the sip, like I added sugar, but I know I didn’t at all yet. And definitely nutty. But no trace of any discernible oolong to it.
I’ll probly finish what I have, or maybe swap it away. But I’m glad I was able to get a small amount from the store instead of the 1.5 (or whatever) from the website.

Flavors: Chocolate, Nuts

I was hoping for Nutella and got coffee-caramel Nips instead! Now, I wasn’t able to follow the measurements strictly, because this was a sample that came with one of my DAVIDsTEA orders. I really wish they’d package them by servings instead of by weight!

But still, this was free and it was interesting to try. Not something I’ll be in any rush to repeat, but still a sweet change from the norm.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This is my absolute favourite tea. It is sweet and nutty all at the same time. You have to make sure you steep it right though, or else it loses it’s charm.

My 3-year-old’s nonstop energy levels are exhausting me. I need a pick-me-up and this one was calling my name.

Sadly, it still has yet to deliver and I think the something in this is messing with my head because I’ve just now developed a headache. Sigh, and it had such promise too. Into the ‘swap pile’ it goes!

Flavours are not balanced well. The licorice is far too strong. The chocolate notes are quite bitter and dilute.There is something very artificial and chemical-tasting. I am a person who generally really enjoys licorice. The tasty aroma of the dry leaf does not translate into the flavour

Thanks to Kittenna for sharing her sample with me!

Kittenna

Interesting – I think I would have enjoyed it without the licorice-sweet aftertaste.

Raritea

I agree. It didn’t really fit in with the overall flavour profile.

Yeah ok second infusion was just licorice on top of licorice. Maybe it’s all in my head. Wait nope I just read a handful of reviews and I’m not alone in the licorice root sadness. Hurrah!

Flavors: Licorice

I thought I was going to love this tea. It sounds magical, chocolate and hazelnut, purported to taste like nutella….

Sadly, it is not so delicious. It smells both good and not… It smells like chocolate, but there is something off to the smell.

Everytime I drink it, there is something that completely turns me off.

Yesterday I figured out what it was, I re-read the ingredients list and discovered my nemisis, black tea.

It gives the whole thing this sickly sweet offputting flavor.

Sadly, even without the black tea, I don’t think it would be very good.
It completely lacks the flavor of hazelnuts, or really and nut taste or mouth feel.
The chocolate is weak, and not strong enough to redeem the tea’s other qualities.

The stuff isn’t undrinkable, and honestly it is the most drinkable black tea I’ve ever had, but I would never buy another cup…

I tried this as a sample in David’s Tea the other day and immediately bought some. It was so warm and delicious. It tasted very chocolates with. Hint of the hazelnut. The licorice root was there, but not too prominent. When it started to cool slightly I could taste it a bit more and didn’t like it as much.

This tea is still amazing as long as I drink it hot. Really glad I bought it.

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML