Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Bitter, Caramel, Coffee, Maple, Sweet, Cake, Maple Syrup, Artificial, Butter, Cream, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample - I didn't want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1693 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with. ” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 901 tasting notes
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1922 tasting notes
  • “So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 770 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample – I didn’t want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices.

Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and it’s making crazy! (ok, enough ranting).

I’m definitely getting cake from this tea. It smells delicious but I was completely distracted by this odd oily flavour because it was so damn familiar, and then I realized that this tea has the same cake flavoring as Red Velvet Cake. This tea is very similar, except it is lighter, and fruitier with the cherry and pineapple. I like it, but it also reminds me of dirt.

I realize that isn’t a ringing endorsement. Ha. I’m resteeping this now and will update if necessary.

OMGsrsly

The gingerbread also smells similar. Maybe they only have one ‘cake’ flavour?

Cavocorax

Hmmm. Maybe I’ll try the gingerbread tonight too to compare.

Amariel

Hmm. Red Velvet Cake may be what it’s reminding me of too. But not in an oily way. More of an artificial cherry way…

Cavocorax

Maybe that’s what it is! (it was hard to pinpoint)

Fjellrev

If you’re comparing it to Red Velvet Cake, then I could see it being similar to DTT’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake?

Amariel

It kind of is, but DTT PUC is better. I think. It’s been a while. There’s something weird with this one.

Cavocorax

I think Heather’s right. It’s been a long time since I’ve had PUC, but I think it’s better.

Tuscanteal

I totally felt the same way – as soon as I smelled it and then tasted it, instantly I thought of the Red Velvet. Then I smelled both side by side and it confirmed my suspicions

msbluerasp

Totally with you on the double entries. I like the capitalization on this entry though. :)

1922 tasting notes

I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This was never a problem before but when I opened it today it smelled off so I think it just needs a really good soak. Not much to say about the tea given I still can’t taste much :(

So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the blue berries design) and take advantage of the free 50g of tea when you spend $25 promotion.

The wonderful sales associate gave me Coffee Cake to go and wrote me a birthday wish on my cup. I didn’t buy any of this before since I had a feeling it would be like a fruitier Red Velvet Cake, and it basically is. Sugary and slightly fruity but you can’t really pinpoint the pineapple or cherries. It’s definitely a cross between RVC and Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I put them all in the same family.

No additives and it was too sweet for me. I’d never buy it but glad I had the opportunity to try it.

Yay happy birthday!

JustJames

bonne fete! many happy returns… though hopefully none of them tea!

MissB

Happy You Day! Hope it’s the start of a prosperous (in every sense of the word) year to come.

caile

Happy birthday!

Fjellrev

Thank you so much, everyone. :)

i think..for your belated birthday…you should send me your address giggling

we’ve got some duplicate entries going on for the new david’s tea collection but this one has the most notes on it so logging it here. They gave me this as a free sample in store today. I was pretty much convinced i didn’t want any of the winter collection based on the fact that i generally don’t like david’s tea and other steepsterites had posted such “glowing” reviews for the collection. However, free sample taste? sure.

Verdict? watered down pineapple upside down cake from della terra. More oily, less tasty…lacking in overall OOMPH. Pass.

Nope.

It smells good, all cake-like, but it doesn’t translate over to flavour at all. I just taste tea and oil, and adding brown sugar didn’t bring out the cake part at all.

Looks like this collection is pretty much a miss for me. The only one I sort of enjoyed was the Gingerbread Rooibos.

Boo. Booo! :(
Yeah – it’s totally oily!

I’m returning it and the Choconut Oolong tomorrow. :/

Cavocorax

I didn’t realize you could return opened tea!

OMGsrsly

Neither did I, but James suggested it so I might as well go complain (politely) and try.

Cavocorax

Good luck! I think I spent about $19 on the new teas, and haven’t tried them all yet. The ones I have had are drinkable but not exceptional. I’ll sip themdown and move on. It’s too much hassle to return them, but I’ll be voting with my money by buying different blends.

OMGsrsly

It’ll be like $4 or something silly, because I used all te spiced fig in one cup, but for me it’s worth it. I’m frustrated I bought into the hype again and bought them all!

I couldn’t resist going straight to DavidsTea on my lunch break yesterday to pick up some of the coffee cake tea. It was nice that, due to my last online order, I got to try samples of choconut and spiced fig, so I knew I was going to pass on those. I was also in the market for a new mug, because earlier this week, one of my elephant mugs broke….I’m so sad about that!

So, my coworker and I headed over to the store, and I picked up 1 oz. of this tea and the silver berries mug. I was hoping to get the new Nordic mug advertised at the back of the winter tea menu, but I guess they don’t have that one yet. Will probably still pick it up once they have it. ;) My coworker picked up a bunch of tea, including some of the fall teas they still had in stock. We also learned that they are indeed retiring ceylon star. The horror! Glad I still have two tins of that one.

Anyway, this tea smells a lot like DavidsTea’s red velvet cake tea, which to me, tasted like Della Terra’s pineapple upside down cake tea. Since this tea also has pineapple and cherry, it definitely reminds me of Della Terra’s tea. Someone posted on here that they thought it had more tea taste, and I agree, and that happens to be a plus for me. What disappoints me, however, is that this isn’t really coffe cake to me. Coffee cake to me is more brown sugar and cinnamon, but this tea has fruit. I think they should have named it differently, but I will still enjoy what I picked up.

Cavocorax

Two tins of Ceylon Star? Wow. Then you WON’T need this: http://www.davidstea.com/ceylon-star-250g?&TF=27F5948F6518&DEID=

Tealizzy

That’s funny that it’s 50% off now. The reason I still have two tins is because I bought the 8.8 oz at 48% off not that long ago!

Cavocorax

That makes sense that you’d buy it like that. :)
I really like the Star Anise in it.

Tealizzy

Me too, and I like that it’s cozy and creamy, with a touch of spice. :)

Cavocorax

Aaaah. I’m really feeling like I need to buy that 8.8 ozs, even though I just spent $50 at DT yesterday. :O I’m making a cup right now to help me decide if this is a good idea or not.

Tealizzy

Lol! When I was trying to decide on the 8.8 oz., I made a cup too!

Well, I just made the order. Hope I don’t regret it. /0\

Tealizzy

Nice! I haven’t regretted mine. Enjoy! :)

Dry Leaf Nose: Smells liked baked goods!

Liquor: An appealing red-brown colour, with the aroma of freshly baked upsidedown cake.

Flavour: Laden with the satisfying flavours and aroma of sweet baked goods.

Kimberly Wolfson

Sounds delicious!

librarykirsten

This is one where the flavour sneaks up on you. On first taste I thought it was okay, but it is actually the taste it leaves which is even better.

Sometimes I feel like I go against the grain here, but not this time.
This was a sample with my last order.
Smells really good, flavor is underwhelming. It tastes a bit cakey, but after than I taste a bunch of nondescript sweet, and something odd at the end.
Glad this was a free sample…..

Yeah…no. Not happening. It smelled very similar to birthday cake, which I’d initially fallen in love with, only to run the other way because of the rooibos. but to perhaps have a version of birthday cake without the rooibos sounded a bit enticing. anyway, it’s so hard for me to separate the two in my head.

anyway, this doesn’t taste even reminiscently of coffee cake. and it does have that artificial aftertaste, even for me. It wasn’t, like, insulting to drink or anything like that; it actually felt good on my slightly irritated throat (I was singing rather obnoxiously at the top of my lungs earlier as a way to de-stress), but I’m definitely not going to restock. I see i’m in good company, though.

Nxtdoor

I thought red velvet cake was like birthday cake sans Rooibos. This one here I was going to try but it is not well liked so I’m going to pass for sure!

nxtdoor. just try it by going in when they have a free sample haha that’s what i did

keychange

Oh yeah, definitely pass on actually paying for it if you can!