Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Brown Sugar, Butter, Fig, Bitter, Caramel, Coffee, Maple, Sweet, Cake, Maple Syrup, Artificial, Cream, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample - I didn't want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with. ” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1054 tasting notes
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2068 tasting notes
  • “So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 922 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This definitely wasn’t what I was imagining or craving when I decided to make this tonight. There is definitely cake in this cup, but I don’t really taste much of a coffee flavor. Is it possible for tea to taste greasy? If so, then this definitely tasted greasy to me. This one also tasted a lot like their Red Velvet Cake to me, and I wasn’t a huge fan of that one either.

I guess that means that my search for the perfect coffee cake flavored tea continues. Not that I mind having another excuse to go out and buy more tea ;)

VariaTEA

This smells exactly like Red Velvet Cake to me. I actually like Red Velvet Cake so I was excited by this blend but it has a strange taste. Also, I don’t know if teas can “taste” greasy but they definitely can be greasy/oily. I have had a tea that I actually brushed my teeth and used mouth wash right after trying because it felt like my mouth was coated in grease (sorry, I just realized how incredibly disgusting that is).

Brendan

Coffee cakes don’t taste like coffee. This is just a cake flavored tea.

Yes, teas can have that greasy feeling to them. This is probably from the “natural and artificial cake flavouring” that is included in it.

Pandeme

VariaTEA, That is definitely how this tea felt to me. I did finish drinking it, but I had to rinse my mouth with mouthwash afterwards. (And no worries! It actually didn’t sound that disgusting to me… maybe I should be concerned that it didn;t? lol)

Brendan, Really? I’ve only ever had homemade coffee cake but it definitely tastes like coffee, I guess it must just be the recipe my family uses :) And that makes sense, I’m glad its not just in my head lol.

Brendan

Pandeme – I want your recipe :)

Pandeme

Brendan, Definitely! I’ll get it the next time I’m at home and send it to you. You might need to remind me though lol.

This isn’t too bad. Lots of sweetness, with a hint of cherry, and a tiny bit of “cake” flavour. I am not getting any pineapple.
I will probably drink my sample size bag, but there are much better teas out there. I won’t be getting any more of this.

Ummm, glad I only got 12g of this one. It smells deliciously divine, but there is a strange artificial almost medicinal taste to it. It’s similar to Red Velvet Cake, but also, I think the cherry in this added to that is what is giving a medicinal taste.

I have a small amount that I will play with at home, as this tasting is based on a TTG from the store, and it may be a different experience at home for me.

But…so far a fail.

Day 10 of 24 Days of Tea

Ugh… I thought I might like this more by having a large sample of it. I am convinced that DavidsTea supplies the weakest black tea leaves ever. There should be no reason for this tea to be weak tasting.
A) There is lack of other “stuff” in it
B) It’s a black tea… which is a side note to why doesn’t DavidsTea say the blend of black they use. Might help clear it up

I lowered my rating even further and can’t finish my cup. I will definitely be making something else. There should be spice to this tea, SOMETHING! Not the fake cake taste that they put in every single cake tea they make.

So disappointing!

If you liked the Red Velvet Cake you’ll love this one. It tastes very similar and has a similar aroma. What sets it apart is the pineapple and cherry notes which gives it a fresh light quality. I found a boost of energy too with the variation and with holiday season around the corner that is ever the good thing. Between decorating, gathering gift ideas and taking pictures for my photography business I can appreciate the extra boost every so often. In any case this one was a highlight of the Winter Collection for me and well recommended. Happy Tea Drinking.

I see what they did here… I like it.. I don’t like it as much as pineapple upside down cake tea from della terra … but its my fave from this winter collection :)

Today was slow on the tea drinking due to a sudden desire to clean. I made this this morning and it was delicious but I didn’t brew it strong enough. I tasted just like the coffee cakes I get at the grocery store! It was a sweet taste with just enough cinnamon to make it pop :) I will be ordering some for more taste testing because this also was a sample packet in my order.

I really need to stop buying artifically flavoured teas.. Most of the time they are just too much for me and I get tired of them after a few cups. But every season I just can’t resist trying some of Davidstea special collections teas!

Anyway, this one is my favorite out of the three teas I got from the winter collection. It really tastes like cake. It’s obviously artificial flavouring, but I would say it is nicely done and it doesn’t have a bad or fake aftertaste.

A note for my fellow quebecers : It’s called Brioche fruitée. When I picked it up in the store I didn’t know what to expect because I had never heard that name in my life. Then I realized it probably means Gâteau aux fruits. That is exactly what it tastes like.

This came to me as a sample with an order. It is a larger than other samples I have had and will likely make two cups. It smells wonderful and caramel like. Very similar scent to Della Terra’s Pineapple Upsidedown tea. Once brewed, I think I can pick out some of the baked coffee cake goodness in the scent. The base of this tea is nice, but hides a little to let the caramel/brown sugar flavors dominate. If I sip it too fast I get a bitter taste on the back of my tongue. I’m used to coffee cake with lots of cinnamon and brown sugar on top. This is missing the cinnamon part, but has lots of brown sugar taste to it. I haven’t been overly impressed with David’s, but this tea strikes me as interesting enough and drinkable.

Tuscanteal

You can totally have all the samples I have of it… not my favourite!

ohhhh boy.

So I’m not a flavored tea fan. That being said, I can appreciate them sometimes, especially if the flavoring compliments the nature of the tea. That is an art, a talent, requires true insight into both the tea and the flavor.

This? It is pure crap. It tastes like artificial maple syrup. I can’t taste any tea, just “sugar”.

**edit 1/10/14

Yuck. So a day later and my tea pot still smells of this disgusting tea. Note to self- never buy a flavored tea from David’s Tea again.