Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Cake, Maple Syrup, Artificial, Butter, Cream, Caramel, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample - I didn't want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1638 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with. ” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 833 tasting notes
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1848 tasting notes
  • “So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

ohhhh boy.

So I’m not a flavored tea fan. That being said, I can appreciate them sometimes, especially if the flavoring compliments the nature of the tea. That is an art, a talent, requires true insight into both the tea and the flavor.

This? It is pure crap. It tastes like artificial maple syrup. I can’t taste any tea, just “sugar”.

**edit 1/10/14

Yuck. So a day later and my tea pot still smells of this disgusting tea. Note to self- never buy a flavored tea from David’s Tea again.

Sipdown. I had some of this with the Sugar and Spice blend. Still not sure why pineapples are coffee cake, but it went well with the spices.

I’m at a new job. The temp agency placed me for three days at this job and I’m really not sure what to think. I feel very lost about what I’m suppose to do… So I have some filing that’s taking me forever, so that’ll fill the time.

Anyways, I made this this morning as I wanted something different… something I Hadn’t had in a while. This one has been a few months probably. It’s very delicious. I know I said that last time I reviewed it, but honestly, it is. It’s a sweet tea so no sugar needed. I’ve got some milk in it as I wanted it to be a bit smoother… I always add milk to my black teas.

Anyways, I’m quite content with this tea. It is sweet, but I honestly think I will be drinking this one up fast now that I remember how nice it is. I need to start trying to make lattes at home again. This one would make a fantastic latte!

WHat’s your favourite directions for making one? I want to do this right…

TheTeaFairy

Good luck on the new job!

I stopped by David’s today to get a tea on my way home and knew I wanted to try something from the new winter collection. I asked to smell this one, as well as Spiced Fig and Gingerbread (they all smelled great by the way and I will be trying them all soon!) There was just something really intriguing about this one that made me want to try it first. As far as smell, it has a light sweetness which comes out more as it steeps. The smell quickly filled my entire car which made for a great drive home. In terms of taste, I found it really similar to red velvet cake and birthday cake (but this one has less of a maple taste). I think I do however, prefer this to both of those teas. I was really glad to see cherries as an ingredient in this tea. Aside from this there is only one other tea (cherry cola) which contains cherry. The cherries in the tea, I found, came out more in the after taste while the sweet notes where the first to hit the palette. The only complaint I have is that like many other teas with flavourings, this tea did have a bit of an aftertaste. It is not so strong as to prevent me from enjoying this tea but is worth mentioning here.

I got this as a sample. The first time I tried this it taste like coffee,I don’t know why. I could hardly drink it cause I was not in the mood for weak coffee.

This time I tried it and it still taste like coffee. I know coffee cake does not normally taste like coffee and nothing in the description would lead me to think this. Maybe something is wrong with my taste buds.

I would not mind having an extra sample for when I’m in the mood for coffee but don’t want to make any but I would not buy it.

MissB

One of their pu-erh’s, I’m blanking out on which one right now, tastes an awful lot like coffee. Could well be coffee pu-erh? I may have some here that I can send to you. Or, post in the forums about suggestions for coffee-replacement teas?

NayLynn

Thanks MissB I think I would like to try the coffee pu-erh if you have any. I was afraid to try a pu-erh because of what I have read but I think I might like this and if not it would still be fun to try. I’m pretty sure I want to purchase a couple of things from your sell list. I will try and let you know soon.

Day 12 of my do-it-yourself scavenger hunt advent calendar.

Well…the smell is divine. The taste…meh.

As Cavocorax pointed out, the “cake base” of this tea is exactly the same as red velvet cake which I wasn’t a huge fan of. In the 10 g sample bag I got, I only had 2 teeny pieces of pineapple so it’s not like I can vouch for a pineapple flavour. This scoop didn’t have any. And cherries? What cherries? Unless the cherry pieces are microscopic, I didn’t have any. I certainly didn’t get the flavour of cherry. It just tasted like fake-cake. Blech.

In reality it wasn’t THAT bad, but when all of the other teas in my calendar have been so GOOD, this one was a real disappointment. It just tasted like a basic black tea base with some artificial cake flavour.

Verdict: will not buy.

I just looked at the other reviews for this tea and apparently I’m having a completely different sensory experience than everyone else. I received a sample of this earlier this week when I received my first order from DAVIDs TEA. The tea smells like maple, and I found the aroma to be mouth-watering. I was nervous that it wouldn’t taste as good as it smells… I added a teaspoon of rock sugar to the leaves, figuring that this tea is meant to be sweet… and WOW is this sweet! Sweet, sweet maple. The ingredients do not have maple anywhere in it, so I don’t know where I’m getting this flavor from. (The cake ingredients, perhaps?) If I’m attentive I cam maybe taste pineapple, but only because I’m looking for it…

I saved just enough of the sample to make one more cup and I’ll try it without rock sugar this time. My first reaction to this was, “So sweet and delicious! I want to get more!” but as I continue the cup I’m thinking maybe it’s too sweet. So I’ll have it again minus sugar and see how that goes…

First hot cup of tea in days!! Now that the chaos of prom is over, I am enjoying a lazy afternoon sitting with a cup of tea and watching The Next Great Baker on netflix. As for this tea, it is one of those classic cake-y teas I love. I don’t get mountains of fruit flavour, but I get a nice smooth cake note on top of the light black tea base. This is not a spectacularly unique flavour to me, but it is a nice, comforting cup for a lazy afternoon.

No longer allowed to drink at work. Had numerous complaints that “It smells like someone is eating a plate of maple syrup”. I actually sat and thought about how much I love this tea and if I should argue – then realized I really don’t like this tea.

It smells yummy but really lacks flavour once it hits the palette. I agree that it tastes oily, and dare I say weak? Not much going on.

So now I’m stuck with this tea that has been banned from the work place.

Maybe I’ll pawn it off on my Dad who claims “Add brown sugar – it takes it to a whole other level”

Surprisingly i really enjoyed this tea, not too long ago i tried this tea, even with the bad reviews. I am a coffee lover and even more for coffee cake. This tea doesn’t exactly taste like coffee cake but i found it a very good sweet taste with a pleasant coffee aftertaste which i enjoyed. Next time I’m around Davidstea i will need to pick up myself a bag ! If you like coffee i would recommend it!