Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Brown Sugar, Butter, Fig, Bitter, Caramel, Coffee, Maple, Sweet, Cake, Maple Syrup, Artificial, Cream, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample - I didn't want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1708 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with. ” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1121 tasting notes
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2158 tasting notes
  • “So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 969 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Pass the Stash TTB 2

This reminds me a lot of their Red Velvet Cake with a heavy after taste of cherry. It smells really delicious, my husband even wanted a sip. It has a much better smell than taste. I’ll finish it but I wish it had more black tea flavor.

I have never had this in my cupboard but I quite like it. Cakey and caramelly. With eggnog at my sweetie’s family dinner yesterday.

This was my favourite tea from last years Winter Collection, and I was extremely pleased to see a 250g bag in the Web Specials section this week, as I thought it may never be available again.
It’s delicious. As many have said, taste is similar to Red Velvet Cake, with a slight hint of maple and fruit. I don’t find it to be overly sweet or artificial, as I can still taste the black tea. I will drink this tea any time of the day, any season of the year. YUM

Flavors: Cake, Maple Syrup

Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

I’ve been wanting to try some teas from David’s for a while now. I wish they would add smaller size options to their website! This smells quite similar to Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake, and there are even little pieces of candied pineapple in there. It has the same butter/cake flavoring scent. At first I thought there was only one serving in the sample package, but it turns out there’s enough for two. Yay! I steeped for 4 minutes.

This tastes very similar to Pineapple Upside Down Cake too. It has the same artificial butter and cake flavors that I don’t love in that blend. I definitely wouldn’t describe this as coffee cake, there’s no spice element. When I think of coffee cake, I picture the kind with cinnamon and sugar streusel over the top. Yum! But this isn’t it. Boo. :(

Flavors: Artificial, Butter, Cake, Cream

Another tea that smells good enough to eat – like fruit and caramel. The flavour is distinctly cakey and sweet – like caramelized brown sugar. There’s also a slight fruity undertone although it subtle and I can’t really pick out any fruit in particular. This tea is delicious – like dessert in a cup. I hope Davids Tea brings this blend back next winter because I’d say it’s my favourite out of all the teas that were in the Winter Sampler.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

GCTTB2.

I would not call this one coffee cake, maybe more spice cake, but it is all really similar, I am just being picky this morning.

This one tastes thick, there is some spice flavour, a bit of nuttiness. There is a strong vanilla component but it is a bit too strong, just verging on bitter. I am not getting any fruit flavours at all. Overall it is ok for a Davids blend.

I wanted this tea to be a “BIG YES!!!” (Amy Pond I miss you) but instead it was a huge no. Nope. Not good tea.

I agree with previous reviewers, the dry leaf smells amazing. The brewed tea has an oily mouth-feel that I can’t overcome.

Thanks to Roswell Strange for the sample! But disappointingly, this one is not for me.

Roswell Strange

Oh no! Sorry this one wasn’t for you – but maybe that’s for the better since it was seasonal and isn’t sold anymore. If you had fallen in love then it would have been even more heartbreaking.

221tea

I agree haha! It’s one of the reasons that I hesitate to buy a lot of 52tea blends…I am afraid to fall in love with something with limited stock!

I was so excited to try this tea, sent along by Roswell Strange, as coffee cake is one of my favorite indulgences I rarely indulge in. But… This tea has very little to do with coffee cake. The dominate note for me was oily oil chemical oil. Some caramel perhaps, but the aftertaste is so bad you loose even that glimmer of taste to the oil.

Roswell Strange

Sorry neither of you found this one to your tastes :(

Brian

I’m wondering if maybe we left it open, soon after receiving your package we smelled all the teas and maybe it was left open and either moisture or some other smell got in.

I am not sure about the steep time, as I left it for a long while, but definitely coffee cake. Wow and tasty.

I think I like this slightly better today; I may be getting less fruit but I’m also getting more brown sugary, caramel cake like flavour and that’s fitting my current mood/cravings pretty perfectly. Who knows; I might ever be kind of sad when I run out of this one.

I think I want to try it with milk next time.