Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Bitter, Caramel, Coffee, Maple, Sweet, Cake, Maple Syrup, Artificial, Butter, Cream, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample - I didn't want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with. ” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 966 tasting notes
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1979 tasting notes
  • “So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 835 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

I’ve been wanting to try some teas from David’s for a while now. I wish they would add smaller size options to their website! This smells quite similar to Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake, and there are even little pieces of candied pineapple in there. It has the same butter/cake flavoring scent. At first I thought there was only one serving in the sample package, but it turns out there’s enough for two. Yay! I steeped for 4 minutes.

This tastes very similar to Pineapple Upside Down Cake too. It has the same artificial butter and cake flavors that I don’t love in that blend. I definitely wouldn’t describe this as coffee cake, there’s no spice element. When I think of coffee cake, I picture the kind with cinnamon and sugar streusel over the top. Yum! But this isn’t it. Boo. :(

Flavors: Artificial, Butter, Cake, Cream

Another tea that smells good enough to eat – like fruit and caramel. The flavour is distinctly cakey and sweet – like caramelized brown sugar. There’s also a slight fruity undertone although it subtle and I can’t really pick out any fruit in particular. This tea is delicious – like dessert in a cup. I hope Davids Tea brings this blend back next winter because I’d say it’s my favourite out of all the teas that were in the Winter Sampler.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

GCTTB2.

I would not call this one coffee cake, maybe more spice cake, but it is all really similar, I am just being picky this morning.

This one tastes thick, there is some spice flavour, a bit of nuttiness. There is a strong vanilla component but it is a bit too strong, just verging on bitter. I am not getting any fruit flavours at all. Overall it is ok for a Davids blend.

I wanted this tea to be a “BIG YES!!!” (Amy Pond I miss you) but instead it was a huge no. Nope. Not good tea.

I agree with previous reviewers, the dry leaf smells amazing. The brewed tea has an oily mouth-feel that I can’t overcome.

Thanks to Roswell Strange for the sample! But disappointingly, this one is not for me.

Roswell Strange

Oh no! Sorry this one wasn’t for you – but maybe that’s for the better since it was seasonal and isn’t sold anymore. If you had fallen in love then it would have been even more heartbreaking.

221tea

I agree haha! It’s one of the reasons that I hesitate to buy a lot of 52tea blends…I am afraid to fall in love with something with limited stock!

I was so excited to try this tea, sent along by Roswell Strange, as coffee cake is one of my favorite indulgences I rarely indulge in. But… This tea has very little to do with coffee cake. The dominate note for me was oily oil chemical oil. Some caramel perhaps, but the aftertaste is so bad you loose even that glimmer of taste to the oil.

Roswell Strange

Sorry neither of you found this one to your tastes :(

Brian

I’m wondering if maybe we left it open, soon after receiving your package we smelled all the teas and maybe it was left open and either moisture or some other smell got in.

I am not sure about the steep time, as I left it for a long while, but definitely coffee cake. Wow and tasty.

2068 tasting notes

I think I like this slightly better today; I may be getting less fruit but I’m also getting more brown sugary, caramel cake like flavour and that’s fitting my current mood/cravings pretty perfectly. Who knows; I might ever be kind of sad when I run out of this one.

I think I want to try it with milk next time.

Firstly, a very happy mothers day to all the mamas out there! And if you’re not a mother, then why are you reading this- go call up your mom or give her a hug!

Okay so surprisingly, I’m alive! I know I kind of died off this website for a while, but in my defense things have been super hectic okay. I’ll elaborate later ;)

But this tea. So granted, it doesn’t give off much of a coffee flavour (except for like a brief after taste) … but is it bad that I still really like it anyways? Its the first tea i’ve tasted with cake flavouring so it does feel a bit oily in the mouth, but I definitely get a lot of vanilla out of it as well. I gave my sister to try a few sips and she said it tasted a lot like french vanilla lattees, which i’d say is pretty accurate. I had this with a bit of sugar which was probably a mistake because it’s very sweet on its own. Judging from the other reviews on steepster, this is a very unpopular opinion but I really do like this one! Going to have to pick up some for myself. Thanks jump62359 (as always xox) for the sample!

OKAY LIFE UPDATES:

I got into one of my top choices for university!! I’m going to be studying Health Sciences and i’m so insanely stoked you have no idea. The letter came in the mail and I like broke down into tears because I didn’t think it was going to come. So in 3 months, I’ll most likely be moving out to London (Ontario ……. but at least I can still say I live in London and laugh about it haha) I also just got a part time job for the summer working at a photo studio, which is so cool because I get to learn more about something I love, and TAKING PICTURES OF BABIES AND DOGS AND THINGS OKAY. And then to top all of this off, I stepped out of my comfort zone and bought a prom ticket (after my mum decided it was out of the question for me to not go oops) and stepped even further out of my comfort zone and bought a brightly coloured prom dress (tell me what you think!): https://24.media.tumblr.com/6e79fdf0cedbc444a87df1aa07ec6fde/tumblr_n5f25k00EM1row9nio1_500.jpg

Just wow. So many things happening so quickly.

I’M ALSO GOING TO BE A LEGAL ADULT IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS AHHHHHH

TheTeaFairy

Awww, congrats on EVERYTHING! Your enthusiasm is contagious!
And moms are always right, of course you should go to the prom. The dress is drop dead gorgeous, have fun!!

jump62359

FLO I’M SO EXCITED FOR YOU YOU HAVE NO IDEA.
But the university, that’s like the one or will you be waiting on more? I told you you were going to get in!!
And congrats on the job! I better hear stories later :)
Also you have to send me photos of prom okay. AND BOOOYYYSSSS??? YOU BETTER TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS.

awoogah

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I definitely haven’t been this happy/enthusiastic in a while so it’s a nice change ;) And I was kind of worried about the prom dress colour, but it’s growing on me ahaha

KYRA IM YELLING YOURE SO SWEET, I LOVE YOU. So I didn’t initially think Western was going to be the one because it was my second choice since I had my heart set on a different university. But I think I’ve kind of changed my mind? Because my first choice school is like super duper duper competitive and it would be harder to keep up a good GPA for grad school and things. Also the program is a lot more restricted there and I definitely want to be able to take some cool courses, so its looking like Western is where I want to go!! I WILL ALWAYS DEFINITELY KEEP YOU UPDATED WITH PICTURES AND BOYS HAHA

Okay. Story time with Kyra.

So yesterday I went to Lupicia and DAVIDs and I was super excited because I got my special San Franciscan blends from Lupicia, and DAVIDs only exists in the San Francisco area on the entire western side of the US. Luckily the DAVIDs and Lupicia are in the same mall so great for me!

I went to DAVIDs and there was a girl named Jillian who was helping me out. She was LOVELY. I told her that I was going to buy a whole lot of tea and I do have a list with me so she has to be prepared for this. So I finally got all my teas (it was like 10-15 teas okay) and as she was ringing me up, I told her that there were some teas that I wanted to smell. Didn’t want to buy it, but just smell. So when she finished ringing me up and I finished paying, I got to smell Birthday Cake and Coffee Cake. Then another person who was working at DAVIDs, Trish, was all “Good call on the Coffee Cake! It’ll be gone for good tomorrow!” And so I was like Dude I don’t care. It’ll probably be like another $5 so that wouldn’t hurt. Just get me an oz of that and I’ll be on my way!
It turned out to be like $4.75 and as I was getting my cash out, Jillian was all “You know what? It’s on me.” And I was like “Really? Are you sure?!” And I was just oh my gosh. This is the best day ever.
I wasn’t looking for free stuff. Heck, I wasn’t expecting to get the free infusers and the free tin! I was already going to spend like $150 at DAVIDs because mother wanted things, I was was already going to get a lot of the peppermint, so that tin was just a bonus. An extra $4.75 wasn’t that much for me, but ahh I just had a great experience and I felt like this needed to be shared :)

I’ve brewed this tea and it’s a really nice rainy day and I’m taking my cousins to the mall so it’s in my Timolino and we’re all ready to go!
Umm.. I actually haven’t had this tea yet. I’ll like.. I’ll edit this later tonight for the actual tasting notes part :)

GOOD TEA. Okay I’m the worst and I had this nearly 10 hours ago and I forgot how this tasted like. Coffee and desserts and good stuff but ahh I’ll write a better note the next time I drink this tea because I forgot how it tasted like. All I knew is that it was good and I’d happily drink it again :)

keychange

oh oh oh!! what all did you get from lupicia?

VariaTEA

YAY for free tea!! What a great experience. The DAVIDs employees are always so awesome.

VariaTEA

Btw, if you want to taste Birthday Cake, I can send some in the swap package. I have plenty to spare.

jump62359

I just looked at my cupboard and I thought I added all my teas! But looks like I missed nearly half of my Lupicia order. Ahh well. I bought: Yume, Orzo (caramel and honey), Melon White, Napa Blanc, and Cookie.

I know it doesn’t seem like a lot, but they’re all prepackaged at 50g so I had to limit myself. And the fact that I had 3 packages of the Golden Honey Dew made it look like I had a butt ton of tea haha
I haven’t been to any of their other location so I have no idea if you can get like just 20g of one tea. I’d love that, but the Lupicia I always go to only has prepackaged teas.

I am on a black tea binge this afternoon. Why, you might ask?

I worked from 5 am to 3 pm today but due to a near electrical fire/power outage we had to halt production and after waiting around for two hours we were finally sent home. You might say “YAY!!” except… we were told to “hang by your phones folks, if you can come back at midnight to finish the job, please do.” This was said in a you-don’t-have-a-choice tone.

And of course since it will be like 1 am, you might as well just start that day’s job after finishing yesterday’s. I know I legally have a choice to refuse but I don’t have another job to go to if things go south.

and so… TEA!!

About this tea all you need to know is that it positively does NOT taste like coffee cake. It tastes like cake, sure, but coffee is not in here. I don’t know what coffee cake these people at DAVIDs have been eating. This smells like Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down cake and even tastes like it. Well, some generic cake tea because it also tastes and smells like Red Velvet Cake. So, yeah.

It’s also kinda weak. Can I put Red Bull in here? :)

Christina

I don’t think that real coffee cake is supposed to take like coffee though. More like, “something sweet to eat alongside” coffee. Whenever I’ve had that kind of cake myself, I notice a lot of brown sugar crumble.

Nxtdoor

Aaah. Ok, that might explain a thing or too then :) thanks!