Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Brown Sugar, Butter, Fig, Bitter, Caramel, Coffee, Maple, Sweet, Cake, Maple Syrup, Artificial, Cream, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample - I didn't want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with. ” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1053 tasting notes
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2066 tasting notes
  • “So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 916 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

The caramel and cake flavours of this really came out beautifully tonight, particularly in the aroma. Mm, so tasty. Too bad it’s all gone.

Flavors: Cake, Caramel

Kittenna

Sad I missed this one; I keep seeing good reviews.

This was my favourite tea from last years Winter Collection, and I was extremely pleased to see a 250g bag in the Web Specials section this week, as I thought it may never be available again.
It’s delicious. As many have said, taste is similar to Red Velvet Cake, with a slight hint of maple and fruit. I don’t find it to be overly sweet or artificial, as I can still taste the black tea. I will drink this tea any time of the day, any season of the year. YUM

Flavors: Cake, Maple Syrup

Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

I’ve been wanting to try some teas from David’s for a while now. I wish they would add smaller size options to their website! This smells quite similar to Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake, and there are even little pieces of candied pineapple in there. It has the same butter/cake flavoring scent. At first I thought there was only one serving in the sample package, but it turns out there’s enough for two. Yay! I steeped for 4 minutes.

This tastes very similar to Pineapple Upside Down Cake too. It has the same artificial butter and cake flavors that I don’t love in that blend. I definitely wouldn’t describe this as coffee cake, there’s no spice element. When I think of coffee cake, I picture the kind with cinnamon and sugar streusel over the top. Yum! But this isn’t it. Boo. :(

Flavors: Artificial, Butter, Cake, Cream

Another tea that smells good enough to eat – like fruit and caramel. The flavour is distinctly cakey and sweet – like caramelized brown sugar. There’s also a slight fruity undertone although it subtle and I can’t really pick out any fruit in particular. This tea is delicious – like dessert in a cup. I hope Davids Tea brings this blend back next winter because I’d say it’s my favourite out of all the teas that were in the Winter Sampler.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

GCTTB2.

I would not call this one coffee cake, maybe more spice cake, but it is all really similar, I am just being picky this morning.

This one tastes thick, there is some spice flavour, a bit of nuttiness. There is a strong vanilla component but it is a bit too strong, just verging on bitter. I am not getting any fruit flavours at all. Overall it is ok for a Davids blend.

I wanted this tea to be a “BIG YES!!!” (Amy Pond I miss you) but instead it was a huge no. Nope. Not good tea.

I agree with previous reviewers, the dry leaf smells amazing. The brewed tea has an oily mouth-feel that I can’t overcome.

Thanks to Roswell Strange for the sample! But disappointingly, this one is not for me.

Roswell Strange

Oh no! Sorry this one wasn’t for you – but maybe that’s for the better since it was seasonal and isn’t sold anymore. If you had fallen in love then it would have been even more heartbreaking.

221tea

I agree haha! It’s one of the reasons that I hesitate to buy a lot of 52tea blends…I am afraid to fall in love with something with limited stock!

I was so excited to try this tea, sent along by Roswell Strange, as coffee cake is one of my favorite indulgences I rarely indulge in. But… This tea has very little to do with coffee cake. The dominate note for me was oily oil chemical oil. Some caramel perhaps, but the aftertaste is so bad you loose even that glimmer of taste to the oil.

Roswell Strange

Sorry neither of you found this one to your tastes :(

Brian

I’m wondering if maybe we left it open, soon after receiving your package we smelled all the teas and maybe it was left open and either moisture or some other smell got in.

I am not sure about the steep time, as I left it for a long while, but definitely coffee cake. Wow and tasty.

I think I like this slightly better today; I may be getting less fruit but I’m also getting more brown sugary, caramel cake like flavour and that’s fitting my current mood/cravings pretty perfectly. Who knows; I might ever be kind of sad when I run out of this one.

I think I want to try it with milk next time.

Firstly, a very happy mothers day to all the mamas out there! And if you’re not a mother, then why are you reading this- go call up your mom or give her a hug!

Okay so surprisingly, I’m alive! I know I kind of died off this website for a while, but in my defense things have been super hectic okay. I’ll elaborate later ;)

But this tea. So granted, it doesn’t give off much of a coffee flavour (except for like a brief after taste) … but is it bad that I still really like it anyways? Its the first tea i’ve tasted with cake flavouring so it does feel a bit oily in the mouth, but I definitely get a lot of vanilla out of it as well. I gave my sister to try a few sips and she said it tasted a lot like french vanilla lattees, which i’d say is pretty accurate. I had this with a bit of sugar which was probably a mistake because it’s very sweet on its own. Judging from the other reviews on steepster, this is a very unpopular opinion but I really do like this one! Going to have to pick up some for myself. Thanks jump62359 (as always xox) for the sample!

OKAY LIFE UPDATES:

I got into one of my top choices for university!! I’m going to be studying Health Sciences and i’m so insanely stoked you have no idea. The letter came in the mail and I like broke down into tears because I didn’t think it was going to come. So in 3 months, I’ll most likely be moving out to London (Ontario ……. but at least I can still say I live in London and laugh about it haha) I also just got a part time job for the summer working at a photo studio, which is so cool because I get to learn more about something I love, and TAKING PICTURES OF BABIES AND DOGS AND THINGS OKAY. And then to top all of this off, I stepped out of my comfort zone and bought a prom ticket (after my mum decided it was out of the question for me to not go oops) and stepped even further out of my comfort zone and bought a brightly coloured prom dress (tell me what you think!): https://24.media.tumblr.com/6e79fdf0cedbc444a87df1aa07ec6fde/tumblr_n5f25k00EM1row9nio1_500.jpg

Just wow. So many things happening so quickly.

I’M ALSO GOING TO BE A LEGAL ADULT IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS AHHHHHH

TheTeaFairy

Awww, congrats on EVERYTHING! Your enthusiasm is contagious!
And moms are always right, of course you should go to the prom. The dress is drop dead gorgeous, have fun!!

jump62359

FLO I’M SO EXCITED FOR YOU YOU HAVE NO IDEA.
But the university, that’s like the one or will you be waiting on more? I told you you were going to get in!!
And congrats on the job! I better hear stories later :)
Also you have to send me photos of prom okay. AND BOOOYYYSSSS??? YOU BETTER TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS.

awoogah

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I definitely haven’t been this happy/enthusiastic in a while so it’s a nice change ;) And I was kind of worried about the prom dress colour, but it’s growing on me ahaha

KYRA IM YELLING YOURE SO SWEET, I LOVE YOU. So I didn’t initially think Western was going to be the one because it was my second choice since I had my heart set on a different university. But I think I’ve kind of changed my mind? Because my first choice school is like super duper duper competitive and it would be harder to keep up a good GPA for grad school and things. Also the program is a lot more restricted there and I definitely want to be able to take some cool courses, so its looking like Western is where I want to go!! I WILL ALWAYS DEFINITELY KEEP YOU UPDATED WITH PICTURES AND BOYS HAHA